• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Dragon Age: Inquisition

BouncyFrag

Gah, all this talk about this game made me look up some videos on it (mostly to make the gif on the previous page), which made me want it. But I don't have time to play a long-ass RPG.

Maybe I should quit school...

Edit: Is this the type of game you can play for an hour at a time every few days without losing the flow of what's going on?
It is a big game. You spend most of your time claiming areas of a map for the Inquisition and exploring dungeons and the like for quests. As you gain more ground you get power points for the Inquisition which will then allow you unlock completely new areas. I've been taking it slow only playing 1-2 he hours when I have the time and its easy to keep up with the plot since you can take it at your own pace and you can always review what you've discovered via the journal and extensive codex entries. I've been skipping over most of the notes/lore I've been accumulating but always take time later on reading it because its very well done.

molnizzle

Edit: Is this the type of game you can play for an hour at a time every few days without losing the flow of what's going on?

You won't lose the flow of what's going on, but it'll take you a long ass time if you try to do everything. Which, at least for me, is a big part of the appeal.

That said, Dragon Age: Inquisition is one of the biggest RPG's I've ever played. It's also the best game BioWare has ever made.

You should play it.

It is a big game. You spend most of your time claiming areas of a map for the Inquisition and exploring dungeons and the like for quests. As you gain more ground you get power points for the Inquisition which will then allow you unlock completely new areas. I've been taking it slow only playing 1-2 he hours when I have the time and its easy to keep up with the plot since you can take it at your own pace and you can always review what you've discovered via the journal and extensive codex entries. I've been skipping over most of the notes/lore I've been accumulating but always take time later on reading it because its very well done.

You won't lose the flow of what's going on, but it'll take you a long ass time if you try to do everything. Which, at least for me, is a big part of the appeal.

That said, Dragon Age: Inquisition is one of the biggest RPG's I've ever played. It's also the best game BioWare has ever made.

You should play it.

Yeah I think I'll be buying this when I get paid, and sloooooowly make my way thru it. Hopefully I'll be done by the time the next sequel comes out.

Gah, all this talk about this game made me look up some videos on it (mostly to make the gif on the previous page), which made me want it. But I don't have time to play a long-ass RPG.

Maybe I should quit school...

Well I've only just started DA:I but I have had a lot of time with Origins, DA2 and other games like this going all the way back to Baldurs Gate and the absolutely fantabulous Planescape Torment.

You can easily play games like this an hour or so every few days (limiting yourself is the hard part if it gets its hooks in you) but you will lose track of the story, or at the very least, subtleties of relationships and character building etc if you have a break of a couple of weeks.

I don't think the average GAFer is as sensitive as the average GAFer. I think most of the resolution/framerate bitchers are just looking to score points against their favorite console's competitor.

Quite possibly true.
If it's the PS4 version that you are thinking of buying then trust me when I tell you the frame rate is fine most of the time.
The dips that do occur are neither frequent enough nor serious enough to warrant a big drop from native resolution unless, perhaps, if you have eyesight so poor you can't see anything more than three feet from your face or plan to view it on a TV the size of a wrist watch.
I suppose people who for some weird reason still have 720p TVs might benefit from a non 1080p image too but then I suppose Blu Ray and HD video would seem like an extravagance to them too.

Special C

dragonage.gif

You should have made the XO version super blurry and pixelated on the Myth part.

Caddle

The IQ isn't that great of a difference on my tv. Every game that GAF complains about when it comes to resolution looks great on my TV. Try it for yourself people, don't listen to the idiots in these debates. Remember half the idiots couldn't tell that ryse was running at 900p at e3 untill they were told. Along with the downgrades and all that other nonsense.

Thrakier

The IQ isn't that great of a difference on my tv. Every game that GAF complains about when it comes to resolution looks great on my TV. Try it for yourself people, don't listen to the idiots in these debates. Remember half the idiots couldn't tell that ryse was running at 900p at e3 untill they were told. Along with the downgrades and all that other nonsense.

Can you pleast post manufacturer, model and manufcaturing date of your TV? I want to make sure that I'll get that magic thing too. Sounds you like found the gysnc counterpart to resolution.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Holy balls, 20 pages on this? If you prefer a better image and can deal with spare dropped frames than buy the PS4 version, if you are sensitive to dropped frames and don't care about the increase in image quality then buy the Xbox One version, what else is their to worry about? The article is pretty straight forward, based on their findings pick which one suits you most. I've sunk 13 hours into the PS4 version of this game and although it does drop frames, it's so infrequent that it's a non issue for me, but if you can't stand them at all then buy the Xbox One version.

But what if you prefer a better image *and* you are sensitive to frame drops?

And want to play on console.

Dunlop

It's a technical thread but lately you can pretty much sum up every DF thread as

- People Who actually know what the fuck they are talking about

- Others who look for key phrases in the OP:

"PS4 is better in all categories"

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

"XB1 is marginally better in a specific category"

fire_community.gif

I agree with you that DA:I in fanfuckingtastic and every platform should be buying it

ironcreed

Banned
It's a technical thread but lately you can pretty much sum up every DF thread as

- People Who actually know what the fuck they are talking about

- Others who look for key phrases in the OP:

"PS4 is better in all categories"

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

"XB1 is marginally better in a specific category"

fire_community.gif

I agree with you that DA:I in fanfuckingtastic and every platform should be buying it

504.gif

Top Bottom