• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport 7 Demo: Xbox One vs Xbox One X vs PC Comparison!

Space_nut

Xbox One X is a beast!

4k native
60 fps locked
Improved Draw distance
Higher level of detail in environments
Higher res textures

Give it give it

JaggedSac

But the game offers more than a resolution bump?

Yep, both the article and video detail them, and they are quite obvious.

Lod for trackside items.
Pop in distance.
AF is much better
Texture detail is much better.
Shadow detail

And then there is the resolution bump.

Pretty standard and visually obvious things that would be better with more power. Not quite sure what people are bitching about to be honest.

Hermii

Hmmmm... I would have liked to see multiple modes to choose from like Tomb Raider does for example. I mean let's say someone doesn't have a 4K screen there is very little reason to buy One X for this game. It's clear MS is dead set in delivering native 4K for their own games but options are always good too.

And even as an 4K TV owner I would have liked to see more differences. These differences are incredibly small. Then again we are watching a YouTube clip and in my case on my phone.
Here is your problem :p

For some reason compressed youtube video on a phone screen doesn't properly convey native 4k.

Bydobob

It's a shame they didn't want to push any further than the Xbox One X version on PC. I'm at around 60% GPU usage average on my 1080Ti @ 4K WITH 8x MSAA (totally unnecessary given I'm already downsampling from 4k->1440p, so GPU usage would be lower), locked at 60fps. (This required setting my display to 60Hz and disabling G-Sync, as otherwise I had a bit more frametime variance than I'd like, but hopefully this gets sorted before release as Turn 10 have implied).

Because otherwise, it looks like I'd just have to settle for higher framerate (which is still cool, but some higher quality settings would have been nice).

No need to disable GSync or run at lower refresh rate. Set '60fps VSync' in game menu and cap with RTSS at half refresh rate. Cures framepacing issues and allows you to run at 82fps (165Hz).

There is a way of fully unlocking the framerate without VSync that I stumbled across by accident. Still trying to replicate it, but it involves fiddling around with NVCP and in-game video settings. Got the game at a stable-ish 110fps with a 6700k/GTX 1080 at max settings at 1440p.

nelo_inc

Xbox One looking quite good. Wished the game looked more ' dirty ' though, it looks very sterile and clean.

Agree. Still don't know if i will buy the XOne X, glad to see that the XOne version is quite solid overall.

The clean look of the game can get tireing after a while.

I am surprised that they didn't notice that the reflections/environment mapping only runs with half refresh on Xbox One X compared to PC. This is something I noticed right of the bat, especially when you drive through that dark tunnel on that dubai track.

This is weird, because they noticed that in previous Forza comparisons iirc.

I am surprised that they didn't notice that the reflections/environment mapping only runs with half refresh on Xbox One X compared to PC. This is something I noticed right of the bat, especially when you drive through that dark tunnel on that dubai track.

This is weird, because they noticed that in previous Forza comparisons iirc.

Not really weird.. unless it was Dave who did the other comparisons as well. They're human and may miss things from time to time.

Hawk269

Yep, both the article and video detail them, and they are quite obvious.

Lod for trackside items.
Pop in distance.
AF is much better
Texture detail is much better.
Shadow detail

And then there is the resolution bump.

Pretty standard and visually obvious things that would be better with more power. Not quite sure what people are bitching about to be honest.

But according to the first person that responded, the differences are "Incredibly small". I just don't get it. A home console that sells for $499.99 being able to out put 4k at locked 60fps with all those improvements from the base version of the game and that gets categorized as "incredibly small differences" is mind boggling. It takes an insane amount of power to get 4k at 60fps the fact they were able to layer in some additional bells and whistles is pretty amazing.

Space_nut

But according to the first person that responded, the differences are "Incredibly small". I just don't get it. A home console that sells for $499.99 being able to out put 4k at locked 60fps with all those improvements from the base version of the game and that gets categorized as "incredibly small differences" is mind boggling. It takes an insane amount of power to get 4k at 60fps the fact they were able to layer in some additional bells and whistles is pretty amazing.

He was watching on YouTube via phone

TaurezAG

The material and colour grading look different between Xbox and PC for me. The overall lighting also feels subtly different.

Hawk269

He was watching on YouTube via phone

I read that and it makes no sense to even make that comment. He should of just left that entire portion out of his reply. That is like a person on a PC saying a game looks like shit because he is running it at 480p and then coming to Gaf to post that it looks bad.

Space_nut

I read that and it makes no sense to even make that comment. He should of just left that entire portion out of his reply. That is like a person on a PC saying a game looks like shit because he is running it at 480p and then coming to Gaf to post that it looks bad.

I agree with you

JaggedSac

That's nothing compared to the 10 bucks a game they get from every full priced game that gets sold to the console owners.

Their aim is to make the Windows Store relavent. At this point it isn't, and gaming is one way they are trying to get people into the store. It is very likely the reason Phil got put on that board. The upshot of having general software be purchased from the Windows Store is greater than Xbox. It is very unlikely to ever happen especially given the quiet and slow irrelavence that Windows will fall into.

thelastword

Banned
There are more differences between PC and XBONEX than this tech guy states. It's not a world away difference mind you, but how can you not comment about mirror framerate and reflection framerate? There also seems to be a bit more sheen interms of lighting on PC, especially in that truck race...

As I said, visually the latter may not be drastic, but it's there. I think his comparison to OG XB1 is stretching it a bit, some visual settings are better on XBONEX, but the biggest difference is the resolution...Zooming on some distant mountains at 800% at 1080p is always going to show more detail at 4X the pixel count on the XBONEX and PC...I still remember people saying that Horizon had better AF on PRO over base PS4, but higher resolution usually show more detail because of it's crisper and higher rez image.

MilkyJoe

There are more differences between PC and XBONEX than this tech guy states. It's not a world away difference mind you, but how can you not comment about mirror framerate and reflection framerate? There also seems to be a bit more sheen interms of lighting on PC, especially in that truck race...

As I said, visually the latter may not be drastic, but it's there. I think his comparison to OG XB1 is stretching it a bit, some visual settings are better on XBONEX, but the biggest difference is the resolution...Zooming on some distant mountains at 800% at 1080p is always going to show more detail at 4X the pixel count on the XBONEX and PC...I still remember people saying that Horizon had better AF on PRO over base PS4, but higher resolution usually show more detail because of it's crisper and higher rez image.

The zoom clearly shows different textures, it's not even up for debate, resolution increases or not.

Top Bottom