• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry -- Halo 4 Tech Analysis

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-halo-4

Technologically speaking, Halo 4 doesn't put a foot wrong throughout the entire eight to nine hour campaign. The enhancements to modelling, lighting and environments are beautiful and play host to some of the most epic gunplay we've experienced on a home console title. Perhaps this is not surprising bearing in mind that the 343i tech team had the know-how and the time to push the 360 hardware further and harder than any other developer we're aware of. Factor in how key 343i staff contributed to the development of DirectX 11 (and almost certainly, the genesis of the next-gen Xbox) and we have some idea of the spectrum of talent Microsoft put to work here.
In an era where the likes of Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica have defined the graphical state-of-the-art with Uncharted and God of War, Xbox 360 finally has its own shot at the title - and it's a genuinely worthwhile, lavish and occasionally even breathtaking experience.

hcut2.bmp.jpg

1280x-1

Halo_076.bmp.jpg

Halo_092.bmp.jpg

ced

So far I'm confident in saying it even outdoes Uncharted and God of War. It's also artistically beautiful.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So far I'm confident in saying it even outdoes Uncharted and God of War. It's also artistically beautiful.
Haven't played Uncharted 3 but yeah I just posted in the Halo 4 OT that this is hands down the best looking game this gen. Rivals technical excellence of the best this gen but the art blows anything else out of the water.

Ya, they really delivered. Cant wait to see what they can do next gen.

Honestly, when the game starts, that very first cut-scene, i was sure it was real live actors. And that never happens to me.

Manus

Halo will be the best looking game until The Last of Us is released.

I hope 343 doesn't get stuck making Halo games for the next 10 years.

Eideka

Banned
Halo will be the best looking game until The Last of Us is released.

I don't think TLOU can rival Halo 4 but time will tell. So far I have not seen anything that can lead me to assume Halo 4 will be dethroned in the console space.

I like the Halo 4 artstyle as well, more coherent and varied than previous entries.

Only thing I think that would make it shine a bit more for the hardware is if the chief had a bit more going on. Very little lighting effects going on in third person - what I've seen just makes him look a bit bland. Not a big issue but other than that am not sure what else they could do.

The only thing that bugs me are some of the animations, like when Chief is walking with a turret......hes just bouncing up and down real fast, it doesnt look right. Thats what Uncharted did really well, the characters are always perfectly animated no matter if they're carrying something or just going up steps.

I don't think TLOU can rival Halo 4 but time will tell. So far I have not seen anything that can lead me to assume Halo 4 will be dethroned in the console space.

I like the Halo 4 artstyle as well, more coherent and varied than previous entries.

I'd say that would be the real reason why Last of US won't "win" graphically... Not because it technically looks worse than Halo 4, but artistically it's going to be very "dark and gritty" where as far as shooters go Halo is beautifully colorful, making the visuals a lot more striking.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Must be the devils work, how could they have possibly achieved this(something equal to UC3 or GOW) without the power of cell?

edit: it was a joke people.....geesh lighten up

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm glad some devs finally started really pushing the 360 in terms of graphics this fall. Forza Horizon and Halo 4 are both technical marvels.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only thing that bugs me are some of the animations, like when Chief is walking with a turret......hes just bouncing up and down real fast, it doesnt look right. Thats what Uncharted did really well, the characters are always perfectly animated no matter if they're carrying something or just going up steps.
Eh, it has to do with gameplay more than anything. Jump height is something they take seriously with Halo (especially so with 4 after Reach) because they want you to be a walking talk and above and beyond the normal, and they use it to leverage level design too.

With Uncharted and being grounded in reality (mostly), the added weight they want allows for those elaborate, heavy movements. Which is a gift and a curse in its own right IMO.

Still think that God of War III is easily the best looking console game this gen. Dat first scene with Gaia. Halo 4 looks really good too though.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
They were created for the sole purpose of making Halo games - the clue is in the name.

True, but I'd put money on them being the central studio for next generation working on multiple projects and have other studios branching off.

The talent pool in 343i is amazing.

Still think that God of War III is easily the best looking console game this gen. Dat first scene with Gaia. Halo 4 looks really good too though.

I think the fact that Halo is even up there now after the start of this gen with the Halo 2.5 name calling is an amazing way to end the current generation. On top. ;)

abadguy

Banned
Game looks great. From beginning to end, the locals looked amazing. The second pic in OP was one of the standouts to as wel as the desert level. The overall art diection in this game can't be praised enough imo

danwarb

I prefer the look of Reach with all its little details and high res skyboxes.

But I also like fighting the Flood while everyone else seems to hate them.

Man the flood in Halo1 was fun as hell. They crazy.

But i will say that im loving the whole seeing the chiefs visor thing and hearing the armor while hes walking. Its really well done.

Other than possibly making the levels bigger in the next game (and not having to go through waypoint to see the terminal videos), i wouldn't change a thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Yes, you do seem a bit odd.

The environments still have a ton of detail in 4 though, or at least I seem to be noticing the minute details a lot more than in Reach.

Halo 5 is really gonna be something special. 343i really know how to paint a beautiful picture, for me it was the one thing Bungie were always weak at.

Plumpman

I don't usually play halo SP solo, I always play coop splitscreen.

On that note, they make so many concessions in splitscreen it makes the game look like ass. No dynamic shadows, LOD is pretty low, and pop-in is horrendous (objects and enemies).

I'm sure the game looks great in SP, but so far the splitscreen has disappointed on that front. I think the reason I notice it more is because its immediately apparent that it's much lower fidelity compared to what it's intended to look like, and I want to see it when its gorgeous!

Fun game so far though! Nothing mind blowing, but I needed some halo injected in my veins.

Raide

Remember Bungie?

I don't.

I am sure Bungie will do something just as amazing once the 720 rolls around. 343i have done a great job of making Halo their own but I can see a great friendly rivalry between 343 and Bungie and it will make for some awesome games.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Good stuff, hope to pick this up at some point. I still think Uncharted 3 looks better, but I don't doubt that Halo 4 plays better.

EGM1966

Must be the devils work, how could they have possibly achieved this without the power of cell?

Yeah right how did it take this long to finally get Halo in 720p to match games that came out years ago? The game looks great but the comments in this thread so far are amazing and seem to ignore the fact that it's taken this long for MS to finally deliver a top tier 1st party game technically.

I know Halo just launched so enthusiasm is at a high but please - read the article and note the comments like this:

"Remember that feeling you had when playing the first 20 minutes of God of War 3 for the first time? The sensation that the developers had somehow extracted next-gen visuals from current gen hardware? While Halo 4 doesn't quite engender that feeling of hushed awe, it gets very, very close"

"In an era where the likes of Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica have defined the graphical state-of-the-art with Uncharted and God of War, Xbox 360 finally has its own shot at the title - and it's a genuinely worthwhile, lavish and occasionally even breathtaking experience"

I'm a happy dual console owner but there's no doubt that until the release of Halo 4 the 360 was lacking a title that was optimized to the hilt and pushed the hardware - the PS3 meanwhile sporting many such titles.

It's great 343i have done such a great job, but put it in perspective - this is MS first party catching up not automatically outperforming.

Lothars

I think so as well, best looking console game. Imo GOW 3/UC 3 don't compete.
I fully disagree UC3 is easily on par if not better than Halo 4 in the graphics department, Halo 4 is great looking but to say it's the best is insane.

Top Bottom