• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] LEGO City Undercover : PS4 vs Switch vs Xbox One

Jazzem

You can't "move" it yet but there's a trick (involving redownloading the whole game) :
- archive the game in the Switch Storage settings (it will delete the game files from the SD but keep the save on the console)
- turn OFF the Switch (press power for 3 sec then Power Settings, turn off)
- remove the SD card
- turn ON the Switch
- download LEGO
- once downloaded, turn the Switch OFF
- put the SD card back
- turn ON the Switch
- LEGO is still on the Internal Storage and will be played from there.

Note : don"t try to keep LEGO on the SD card before removing the SD, once you put back the SD card it will delete LEGO from internal if already on the SD, it can't be on both storages.

Ha nice one, thanks :) I'll be doing that for every new game I get until they let us move them across!

Seik

Banned
Yeah no, this is actually unplayable. They need to fix this.

It's playable, I accumulated more than 5 hours of gameplay with a friend.

You just get used to it, the framerate in co-op is comparable to the GTA titles on PS2. Then again, people have different tolerances as for framerate, to each their own.

I think it's a consequence of Nvidia's involvement in the dev tools, APIs and documentation. That's likely going to have a much, much bigger effect on port quality than hardware by itself would.

On the other side the Wii U's dev tools were constantly described as being terrible. And their dev support/documentation as well.
It's still so hard to believe that Nintendo could be that dense but I guess that Wii hubris was a hell of a drug. I remember reading some comments from the Need For Speed devs about their difficulty in getting their game finished and getting support from Nintendo and it was straight up painful to read.

Good that they actually optimised the thing to run on Switch, but damn that's gotta sting for XB1 only owners.

It's pretty much an afterthought port. Meh, just throw it on there...those game hungry fools will buy anything.

I was looking for another game to play on my switch and picked this up. I was debating between xb1 and switch, but went switch because this seems like a fun game to have on the go. Considering the performance, I guess I didn't make a bad call.

Kind of surprising performance deltas.

Jeffrey

Weird they didn't do a pc compare as well. After they fixed the critical bugs a day after release, it runs quite nicely.

60fps 1080p is easily obtained, heck most gaming machines should be getting over 100fps easily.

4k 60fps should be doable on 980ti, which is my rig. I bet it can be done on weaker stuff.

My daughter wanted this, but I won't be buying this shoddy port job. Look like I'll be skipping it.

You serious? I would understand if you were buying for you but your daughter doesn't give a shit about DF tech and resolution. The game has good performance, what is the issue?

Buggy Loop

Because I care.

But you wouldn't, without digital foundry telling you.

This is a big problem with gamers around here, you act like it matters a lot when you wouldn't know without DF counting millions of pixels.
All these silly graphic wars with all the drama that comes with it that DF is creating with each analysis, is all meaningless, because 99% of peoples can't fucking tell. We just have to look at placebo effect where peoples think there was a downgrade to improve performances (cough botw cough) and then realize that no, they simply cant distinguish shit even if their life depended on it.

My daughter wanted this, but I won't be buying this shoddy port job. Look like I'll be skipping it.

Obviously you are choosing to read what you want to believe.

You won't be buying it for your daughter because of a few technicals points she wouldn't notice in a million years?

That's absolutely insane.

People now making decisions on what games to get their kids based on a DF vid. Amazing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I did not think i'd ever see people defend a long stretch of gameplay footage where the framerate struggles to even reach 20. It's hovering around 18 FPS nearly constantly.

But here we are. The co-op mode is not suitable for a retail product in 2017. Come on.

This is a big problem with gamers around here, you act like it matters a lot when you wouldn't know without DF counting millions of pixels.
All these silly graphic wars with all the drama that comes with it that DF is creating with each analysis, is all meaningless, because 99% of peoples can't fucking tell. We just have to look at placebo effect where peoples think there was a downgrade to improve performances (cough botw cough) and then realize that no, they simply cant distinguish shit even if their life depended on it.

What I find most amusing is that Digital Foundry are rarely highly negative about their findings, the worst thing they said about the Xbox One version is that the IQ looks a little softer than other versions.

One of the DF guys who posts on GAF found our reactions to Snake Pass disappointing, for those who don't know Snake Pass doesn't hit a full 720p on Switch or a full 1080p on PS4 but DF spent multiple minutes explaining why that's ok because of the AA solutions in place. But of course all posters see is 1536x864 and they lose their minds. Shame, it's a beautiful game.

Digital Foundry are great guys and it's a shame people always ignore their findings and just focus on numbers.

I did not think i'd ever see people defend a long stretch of gameplay footage where the framerate struggles to even reach 20. It's hovering around 18 FPS nearly constantly.

But here we are. The co-op mode is not suitable for a retail product in 2017. Come on.

The only thing that determines if its suitable for a retail product is if some people will enjoy it and I'm sure they will, the vast majority arent so bothered by frame rates

black070

I don't really think anyone cares whether you are shocked or not. Yeah it runs like shit. It is what it is. Ideally they drop the resolution and effects to get the framerate better. But they didn't. What else do you want people to say.

matm666

Are there any loading times comparisons? especially switch vs PS4 Pro. that's what I think will decide my purchase decision

Buggy Loop

What I find most amusing is that Digital Foundry are rarely highly negative about their findings, the worst thing they said about the Xbox One version is that the IQ looks a little softer than other versions.

One of the DF guys who posts on GAF found our reactions to Snake Pass disappointing, for those who don't know Snake Pass doesn't hit a full 720p on Switch or a full 1080p on PS4 but DF spent multiple minutes explaining why that's ok because of the AA solutions in place. But of course all posters see is 1536x864 and they lose their minds. Shame, it's a beautiful game.

Digital Foundry are great guys and it's a shame people always ignore their findings and just focus on numbers.

Oh, i did not want to sound like i'm dissing DF, i really love those guys. The thing is, their discussion is aimed towards peoples who understand tech, development process and how little some of these differences are to the end user. Mind you, it's always a good thing when they find performances issues and they dig further into what can cause it, but for everything resolution X, or shadow res Y, or filterting W, or DOF Z, most peoples on gaf don't fucking know any of this, nor would they be able to tell. It has become a checklist for console wars for them.

And yes, in the Snake pass thread i mentionned how impressive it looked with U4's AA for the resolution it had, even mentionning that DF found it really good, but to no avail, like you said, resolution X < Y, so let's shit on X. -_-;

I'm finding more and more that this forum is way way more tech illiterate than i imagined, and i've been around here since 99. Maybe past gens were so eclectic in graphical differences that there was nothing to discuss, it was plain as day the differences, and we all lived with pros and cons of each platforms.

The graphical plateau now is so close with all platforms, that without DF, most peoples would be lost.

tengiants

I played the first few hours on switch portable mode, and compared to the Wii U version I was damn impressed. It was a lot better. I went to read the OT and was surprised to see all the people shitting on the portable mode.

Yeah I don't even know why they went through the effort. The Wii U version is the way it should have been done.

Oh, i did not want to sound like i'm dissing DF, i really love those guys. The thing is, their discussion is aimed towards peoples who understand tech, development process and how little some of these differences are to the end user. Mind you, it's always a good thing when they find performances issues and they dig further into what can cause it, but for everything resolution X, or shadow res Y, or filterting W, or DOF Z, most peoples on gaf don't fucking know any of this, nor would they be able to tell. It has become a checklist for console wars for them.

And yes, in the Snake pass thread i mentionned how impressive it looked with U4's AA for the resolution it had, even mentionning that DF found it really good, but to no avail, like you said, resolution X < Y, so let's shit on X. -_-;

I'm finding more and more that this forum is way way more tech illiterate than i imagined, and i've been around here since 99. Maybe past gens were so eclectic in graphical differences that there was nothing to discuss, it was plain as day the differences, and we all lived with pros and cons of each platforms.

The graphical plateau now is so close with all platforms, that without DF, most peoples would be lost.

Absolutely agree with this. That Snake Pass thread had some legitimately embarrassing posts that I honestly wish DF had done an experiment by reporting those resolutions which were not actually the correct resolutions, and then a week later revealing the actual resolutions (1080p/900p etc.). It would really expose so many people who care more about the numbers than what they actually see.

In general I think there's a good discussion to be had that focusing on graphics too heavily (as a fan/gamer, developer, and platform holder) can be an actual negative thing for the industry, but it's probably not appropriate for this thread. I agree with you that all three platforms are very much good enough that the average consumer wouldn't notice that much of a difference.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Switch continues to impress. The fact it adds better graphic features to the Wii U version, on top of being 1080p vs 720p, shows it's clearly more powerful.

Absolutely agree with this. That Snake Pass thread had some legitimately embarrassing posts that I honestly wish DF had done an experiment by reporting those resolutions which were not actually the correct resolutions, and then a week later revealing the actual resolutions (1080p/900p etc.). It would really expose so many people who care more about the numbers than what they actually see.

In general I think there's a good discussion to be had that focusing on graphics too heavily (as a fan/gamer, developer, and platform holder) can be an actual negative thing for the industry, but it's probably not appropriate for this thread. I agree with you that all three platforms are very much good enough that the average consumer wouldn't notice that much of a difference.

That would be very interesting. People were convinced the Vanilla PS4 version of Snake Pass was 1080p until the analysis went up, no doubt because of the AA solution at place.

Cyriades

Higher resolution on Switch than Xbox One?

What a joke. I hope no Xbox One owners buy this crap.

Don't worry, they won't.

350147429.jpg

Ridley327

Have the other Lego games been 60fps on the PS4 recently? I own most of them on pc so I don't remember

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the first LEGO game in a long time that's even hit 60 fps on consoles. Starting with LEGO Star Wars: The Clone Wars, TT Games decided to cap the games on console at 30 fps to push the visuals more, and it's been like that up until now. That LCU seems to hit 60 fps intermittently strikes me as more of a happy accident than anything intentional on their part.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Oh wow, I knew you had been around for a long time but 1999 huh? Same year I joined GAF.

marc^o^

It's not a better port though.
It's missing graphical features and has a worst framerate in some areas, while having better resolution. I assume devs saw it looked better this way on Switch, instead of lowering resolution to XBox One level for better performance?

well... downsampling exist. that's why I had a few moments thinking that's the case when I misunderstood the op

I wouldn't expect any down sampling for Switch titles. They chose a 720p screen to save on battery life through decreased power usage, having it render internally in 1080p would be a bad choice

I think it's a consequence of Nvidia's involvement in the dev tools, APIs and documentation. That's likely going to have a much, much bigger effect on port quality than hardware by itself would.

On the other side the Wii U's dev tools were constantly described as being terrible. And their dev support/documentation as well.

I agree. Some people have downplayed the difference in development tools quality between the Wii U and Switch, and the impact it has made. It is like night and day.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's missing graphical features and has a worst framerate in some areas, while having better resolution. I assume devs saw it looked better this way on Switch, instead of lowering resolution to XBox One level for better performance?

Missing and dialed down graphical effects along with worse performance doesn't equate to a superior port. Just sayin'.

Still a nice port on Switch, but to say it's a better port then Xbone is foolish.

l always thought locked 30 fps means it doesn't dip or raise above 30. If it's dips, it's not locked at 30 just maxed at 30. No?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is the Switch version in portable mode worth playing? Can't watch the video now, but I'm concerned about FPS and load times...

Zedark

l always thought locked 30 fps means it doesn't dip or raise above 30. If it's dips, it's not locked at 30 just maxed at 30. No?

You're right, but locked at 30 fps is also often used to refer to only a fps cap at 30, without the implication that it never drops from that mark. It's a matter of semantics in this case.

Is the Switch version in portable mode worth playing? Can't watch the video now, but I'm concerned about FPS and load times...

They can't monitor Portable performance but they said it has more dips than docked but it's still playable. Visuals are roughly the same with small IQ changes and 720p. Tengiants said it was great and you can trust him because he has a Panzer Dragoon Saga avatar.

I played the first few hours on switch portable mode, and compared to the Wii U version I was damn impressed. It was a lot better. I went to read the OT and was surprised to see all the people shitting on the portable mode.

marc^o^

Missing and dialed down graphical effects along with worse performance doesn't equate to a superior port. Just sayin'.

Still a nice port on Switch, but to say it's a better port then Xbone is foolish.
I didn't say that. What I think is getting close enough to the XBox One is sufficient to consider a Switch version. And the port is good enough again to get positive press, which can't hurt this little system.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
... he started that "Lack of new Switch game announcements" thread that (rightfully, IMO) criticizes the... lack of new announcements as well as discussion of previously announced games.
He also made that thread in the middle of March asking abkutngsme announcements for a system that wasent even a month old at the time

Top Bottom