• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch vs. 3DS/Wii U Comparison

Rodin

So where are the "game won't be full 1080p without a catch" folks?

When you think about the handheld leap it is quite insane
mkcomp2gouop.png
Lmao

Do you want the blurry fxaa or rework their engine to support temporal AA?

First off, there are different levels of FXAA along with other post-processing methods like SMAA. And yeah, I'd take a bit of blur over aliasing easily. Aliasing artifacts are a distracting eyesore both in stills and especially in motion.

Lucifon

First off, there are different levels of FXAA along with other post-processing methods like SMAA. And yeah, I'd take a bit of blur over aliasing easily. Aliasing artifacts are a distracting eyesore both in stills and especially in motion.

I dunno, blur drives me nuts. It feels like things are out of focus, which really bugs me. Whereas a few jaggies whilst sure they don't look as pretty, aren't something that bad imo.

Rodin

At 720p i agree, at 1080p not so sure, especially in a fast paced 60fps game. Smash iq was very good for example.

The Boat

I'm no expert but... what? Aliasing is much less noticeable in motion, which is why you don't hear a lot of complaints about it in MK8.

Genio88

Don't understand the point of comparing it with the poor 3DS version, of course that's not even close, about the WiiU version instead, it's great that it achieve native 1080p and 60fps, with also some graphical enhancement, still a confirmation that Switch is more powerful than WiiU, and not just by a little, which makes it closer to XB1 levels

mcfrank

Don't understand the point of comparing it with the poor 3DS version, of course that's not even close, about the WiiU version instead, it's great that it achieve native 1080p and 60fps, with also some graphical enhancement, still a confirmation that Switch is more powerful than WiiU, and not just by a little, which makes it closer to XB1 levels

Because that was the last handheld mariokart? When I show off my switch to friends, it is when we are at bars or events. They see it as a handheld, so that is a very fair comparison.

I haven't watched the video yet but the point to me seems pretty clear. Pretend that you had a 3DS but no Wii U. Pretend also that you are buying this primarily for its handheld capabilities. To this individual, this game is the successor to Mario Kart 7 in terms of being the new portable Mario Kart game. Today, if you want to play Mario Kart on the go you have to play 7 on the 3DS. A week from now you'll be able to play 8 Deluxe on the Switch.

shandy706

There is no XB1 version of MK8. Yes, it's more powerful than the Wii U, no it's not closer to the X1 than Wii U. Surprised this still shows up in a thread. Why even bring up another console?

This looks like one of the best Mario Karts ever though, which is great.

-shadow-

Nintendo keeping AA completely out of the picture again is such a strange decision. But in all fairness, 1080p on a 1080p screen willen look absolutely terrific just like Smash did so I'm not complaining there. Just wish they did it for Splatoon 2 specifically since it runs only at 720p for some bizarre reason.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why the fuck do they compare the 3DS MK7?

Because when you'll try the game in portable mode you will actually say WOW
I'm not jokin', the first time I tried MK8D on the Switch was in portable mode and the leap was "phisically" perceivable.
Switch IS also the new Nintendo console to be played "on the go", even if it is a "bastard" product (in terms of being hybrid)
Btw, the game is stunning also on TV (it started from a GREAT base - the Wii U version - and it improves - slightly - over it)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Let me see if I get this straight,

The Switch, which doubles as a handheld, shouldnt have games compared to the 3DS....

Even tho docked and undocked mode the res and performance can change....

When did it become a bad thing to compare last gen to current gen?

TS-08

And based on the screenshots posted in this thread (I haven't gotten to watch the video), DF appear to be comparing stages that are in both games, so these are 1:1 comparisons with the tracks and characters, not random scenes in one compared to random scenes in another.

Charamiwa

Banned
Sometimes DF likes to look back at previous versions of a game or a series to see how far we've come. They just did it with Kingdom Hearts by comparing the PS2 game to the 4k Pro one. Now they're doing it with Mario Kart to see how handheld gaming evolves over time.

I think it's neat, and totally makes sense in the context of the video. I'm assuming people who are snarky about it don't watch it and are just snarky about neogaf's summary, which is frankly lame and says a lot about the overall toxicity that these DF threads can sometimes host. Just watch the video.

edit: I hope people won't freak out when they'll inevitably compare the new Pokémon to the 3DS games.

Everyone complaining about no AA, but to me the big deal is why is Nintendo using bilinear texture filtering still? 16X Anisotropic is almost free on modern hardware, and even if they can't use that then 2 or 4x would be a huge improvement over what they have. Heck, even trilinear would be an improvement, and that's outdated too.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
The Switch vs 3DS comparisons are a lot of fun, and pertinent given Switch's role as a handheld. I remember playing Mario Kart 7 back in 2011 and being blown away at the time - in its defence, the 3DS side looks much better pixel-matched to the 240p display.

If there's interest, here's a few shots that didn't quite make the edit.

Piranha Plant Speedway
ZgIpBno.jpg

Melody Motorway
tK7TrFh.jpg

DK Jungle
ecyJre7.jpg

Drbeckman

Neo Member
So weird that they chose 1080p and 30fps for the 4 player mode.

It would have been perfect with 720p and 60fps instead...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm definitely in the "Comparing to Mario Kart 7 seems weird" crowd.

It's basically like comparing the PSP to the Vita. Of course it's going to look better, it's a whole generational upgrade.

It's basically like comparing the PSP to the Vita. Of course it's going to look better, it's a whole generational upgrade.

It's also the generational upgrade that's most relevant to Switch.

Switch is Nintendo's new portable system, even if it's also the new console.

AlStrong

Everyone complaining about no AA, but to me the big deal is why is Nintendo using bilinear texture filtering still? 16X Anisotropic is almost free on modern hardware, and even if they can't use that then 2 or 4x would be a huge improvement over what they have. Heck, even trilinear would be an improvement, and that's outdated too.

Bottlenecks on PC are not as readily apparent, especially with different hardware configurations on top of the differences in APIs.

Increasing the amount of texture filtering has an obvious cost - texture filter rate & increased texture bandwidth (for sampling the higher res mip levels). So if you don't see a hit to framerate on PC when you're suddenly cutting your texture filter rate by 16x then clearly the bottleneck is elsewhere such that the cost of using higher AF is hidden or alternatively, the PC GPU has a shitton of texture filtering & bandwidth that it doesn't matter for the particular game.

So weird that they chose 1080p and 30fps for the 4 player mode.

It would have been perfect with 720p and 60fps instead...

They probably couldnt run 4 player 720p at 60 fps locked... Is there a system outside of PC that could do that right now? I dont really see many coop ps4 / x1 games.

OmegaFax

That's not how it works.

DF video says it runs at 60fps but two players alternate frames with the other two, effectively making it 30fps.

The game would have to run at 720p120 with the way it's set up in order to achieve that 720p60 target per player.

TS-08

You haven't explained why it's weird. It's not necessary for such a comparison to be close for it to be interesting. I have absolutely no idea why it would be weird to compare the same game or the same component of two different games across the PSP and Vita to showcase a leap in technology. This is really basic stuff.

DF video says it runs at 60fps but two players alternate frames with the other two, effectively making it 30fps.

The game would have to run at 720p120 with the way it's set up in order to achieve that 720p60 target per player.
ummmm no, they would just need to remove the 30fps cap

Because they are dumb.

They have made several statements about this previously.. MK8 is technically a fully portable title now... So they compared it to MK7 because that was the last portable Mario Kart. It is a completely valid comparison when you put it in context and even more valid when you consider some of the maps are remade from the previous versions as well. They are showing how far the title has come in the portable space.

Ridley1

Neo Member
About time DigitalFoundry! I've been waiting for an in depth analysis to tell me if MK8 had better graphics than MK7 on 3DS. Now we can finally put that age old argument to rest

They have made several statements about this previously.. MK8 is technically a fully portable title now... So they compared it to MK7 because that was the last portable Mario Kart. It is a completely valid comparison when you put it in context and even more valid when you consider some of the maps are remade from the previous versions as well. They are showing how far the title has come in the portable space.
It's still silly to me.
The game is 8, not a sequel or enhanced version of 7.

It's still silly to me.

It's clear that the fact that this is a hybrid console that also follows up a wildly unsuccessful console is really tripping people up here. I could understand the befuddlement if they completely ignored that 8 already exists on the Wii U, but they do comparisons to that too! It's not as though they only compare to 7 in this piece.

It's still silly to me.

Why is that silly? They are comparing a portable title to a portable title? It only seems silly because it was home console exclusive to the Wii U last generation .. but this version crosses that threshold now.

Mario Kart 8 wasnt possible on a Nintendo portable and now it is.

I found the MK7 comparison cool and interesting. Like duh, the switch is better, that's not the point of comparison.

This is like getting mad about them including PS2 footage of KH in the 1.5+2.5 video.

Top Bottom