• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Neo GPU are point-for-point a match for RX 480

THE:MILKMAN

Blue pill.
5.5 teraflops.

U hear it first.

from OsirisBlack like always.
$599

$599 would kill it no matter what the specs are to be honest. Unless they go the route of high-end Hi-Fi quality wise or something I can't see that sort of price happening again.

Paging anyone who speaks fluently French, I don't dare to take a try at a translation.

Bullet points :
  • They don't consider Neo as a new console, it's not a new gen PS4.
  • They didn't want to show the Neo (at E3) because the games are not ready yet.
  • They are aware that some people might be upset by the release of a new and better iteration of the PS4. They think it will be only a communication issue.
  • The idea of the Neo comes directly from the smartphones business model (i.e iterations of the same system).
  • No Neo exclusive games.
  • They don't want to disclose any sales target for the PS4 eco-system.
  • They don't want to confirm if there will be PS4 - PSVR bundle.
  • They don't want to confirm the specs of the Neo and how they will deal with the supposed Tflops difference with Scorpio.

Drifters

If the Neo system launched this fall/winter (US of course) I can't imagine how badly that would be for MS considering they're almost a year away from Scorpio. I mean, mad props to Sony if that becomes the case and I'll buy one and waterfall my PS4 to my office.

Bullet points :
  • They don't consider Neo as a new console, it's not a new gen PS4.
  • They didn't want to show the Neo (at E3) because the games are not ready yet.
  • They are aware that some people might be upset by the release of a new and better iteration of the PS4. They think it will be only a communication issue.
  • The idea of the Neo comes directly from the smartphones business model (i.e iterations of the same system).
  • No Neo exclusive games.
  • They don't want to confirm if there will be PS4 - PSVR bundle.
  • They don't want to confirm the specs of the Neo and how they will deal with the supposed Tflops difference with Scorpio.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Gonna be interesting to see what Sony has under the hood. I'll be getting one whether it is red pill or blue pill though.

$599 would kill it no matter what the specs are to be honest. Unless they go the route of high-end Hi-Fi quality wise or something I can't see that sort of price happening again.

Its for the high end gamer and meant to co-exist with the ps4. There is no price too high for the high end gamer. This product is not meant for the mainstream. Dont know how many times this has to be stated.

Edit: And I really dont get why some of us are so obsessed with the neo being less powerful than the scorpio. I mean does it really matter that much to you?

We already know they're targeting 20M "PS4" by the end of fiscal, and Neo is apparently included in that estimate, so perhaps he was saying they don't wanna give any estimates for the PS4/Neo split just yet?

Thanks for the translation. <3

I was thinking today that I can buy Neo for home and left my PS4 at work for time-out.
I was originally planning to flip my PS4, but then I was thinking I might keep it to power a second PSVR for the wife.

wachie

Not sure if this deserves its own thread.

Neo specs - http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sources-the-upgraded-playstation-4-is-codenamed-ne/1100-5437/

xRVF68G.png

AMD RX480 Overclocking Tool Leaked Shot - http://videocardz.com/61396/new-amd...exclusive-first-look-at-new-overclocking-tool

tvCcOMU.png

ethomaz

Banned
That is over 2 months old. Did you not look at the date?
The power state level of the new OC tool for Radeon RX 480 was leaked yesterday.

He is trying to make a comparison between the 911MHz leaked months ago with the option State 2 @ 910MHz for RX 480.

wachie

The power state level of the new OC tool for Radeon RX 480 was leaked yesterday.

He is trying to make a comparison between the 911MHz leaked months ago with the option State 2 @ 910MHz for RX 480.
State 4 would mean 5.3TFlops for a 15-20% higher power draw.

ethomaz

Banned
I think that is a good trade... 26% raw power to 23% power draw.

I'm concerned about the temps that reached over 70C at 1266Mhz and how the mixing with APU will affect these states.

It's easy to offer a premium price sku as long as there are options. Not sure id buy at $599 though. I'd need to see some amazing stuff.

But there were options with the initial PS3 release, but the meme that stuck around was $599. It seems like part of this gen has been the distancing themselves from the PS3 screwups. And that price was a major one. Here's the 8GB GDDR5 reveal thread where people were convinced that it was going to mean a $599 pricepoint

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514465

I still think PS4 at $299 for the casuals and Neo at $499 for the hardcore strikes a nice balance. That should keep the thrifty folks happy, and still give Sony enough budget to please the technophiles.

Calm Mind

SonyGAF is high if they think the Neo is going to be anywhere near $599. I would say to keep your expectations in check but these past few pages say that ship has sailed.

Whatever the Neo turns out to be, I just can't see this current PlayStation management team dropping a a huge howler. They've been too smart this entire generation to blunder it.

Vena

I don't think you can "just" cram in that 20% gain in draw and the heat to go along with it without some major potential hazards or needs to revisions for a closed box with a very tight thermal budget.

sense

IF they can get above 5tf then I think a year head start and lower price will cancel out the power advantage of the Scorpio when it launches

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
IF they can get above 5tf then I think a year head start and lower price will cancel out the power advantage of the Scorpio when it launches
There's also a weird library gap for Scorpio as well if it's a year later. Neo will have more upgraded games on it even if the jump isn't quite as large.

It's gonna be $399. I think people are forgetting the origin of the Neo. When Sony looked into 'slimming' it, AMD probably said for a bit more money, we can actually give you a large power bump on our new fabrication type.

Sony's plan is quite clever. Price drop the original PS4, to catch the price conscious and later adopters. Release a powered up PS4 at the old price to get the early adopter 'hardcore' to buy a console again.

Seriously, you $499 and up people are living in la la land. You are the only people in the world willing to pay that much for game console. And that my friends is no market worth serving as far as any sane console manufacturer is concerned. And Sony have proven themselves most sane this generation.

etta

my hard graphic balls
They don't wanna push people to PC? So they make it $599? You can actually build a PC around the RX 480 with that money and you're not stuck in the walled garden.
I don't believe it.

Top Bottom