• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: The Division beta (PS4 Vs. Xbox One)

M_A_C

They didn't test the dark zone? On X1(only ver. i played) the dark zone tears like crazy and generally looks pretty shitty compared to the rest of the beta.

Thats what I've heard also, that the dark zone is the part with worst performance on XB1, and it seems like DF didn't even test it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Huh ps4 is significantly more powerful, both being 1080p just proves ubi soft is serious about parity, since all there others games are the same 900p resolution. And almost every game that's graphically taxing has a higher resolution on ps4.

Nothing to do with being serious about parity, more likely that now the consoles have been out over 2yrs that devs are understanding the architecture more.

RedRum

Banned
I'm curious though, where the parity? The beta for the PS4 seems to run flawless while there are obvious hiccups in the XB1 version. Despite the native resolutions on both, seems like the PS4 will get a performance boost. Especially with the final product.

This might be the first MMO style game I grab for the PS4. Hopefully the end product works out.

Neogaf

But you know what....this title will prove that devs can do no right. If a game pushes graphics they'll get punished for shitty performance.

Make a good looking game that performs wonderfully and they'll get punished because. ..omg the ps4 should be better.

Let's praise massive for making a game that performs rock solid.
Before we praise anything is the game any good and worth my 60 bucks, what's this game about? Last tom clancy game I played was rainbow 6 something.

Thats what I've heard also, that the dark zone is the part with worst performance on XB1, and it seems like DF didn't even test it.

The screen tearing is really bad and the textures take a significant hit. I really hope they do a comparison based on the dark zone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm curious though, where the parity? The beta for the PS4 seems to run flawless while there are obvious hiccups in the XB1 version. Despite the native resolutions on both, seems like the PS4 will get a performance boost. Especially with the final product.

This might be the first MMO style game I grab for the PS4. Hopefully the end product works out.

That is just the effects so far, in this build, of an inferior spec'ed machine showing it's performance hurdles while trying to get it up to parity of the other version.

So to flip the perspective, the PS4 has a performance baseline, and they are trying to get the Xbox as close to it as possible. It is still an asset parity, just one is suffering a little more due to it.

I will gladly take this over Destiny and the last gen content parity holding the game back from current gen abilities if one was to compare the two visions.

theWB27

Before we praise anything is the game any good and worth my 60 bucks, what's this game about? Last tom clancy game I played was rainbow 6 something.

I think the beta was phenomenal. I won't explain what the game is about because there's enough info out there.

Still...nothing wrong with giving massive props for a good technical accomplishment. Even if the game ends up not being for you.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The XB1 is a laptop GPU as well. The PS4 just has a better laptop GPU. Coupled with the empirical evidence of the hundreds of these other face offs with the PS4 taking the win that is where people's expectations come from. If your mind is boggled it is because you yourself are over blowing the issue.

Game looks crisper on PS4 with no indication of dropping frames or screen tearing. I am not sure why people are talking parity here. Get some glasses if you can't tell the difference.

And with this, I'd say case closed.

_machine

It is still an asset parity, just one is suffering a little more due to it.
Uh majority of console games have pretty complete asset parity, and especially for Ubi's cross-studio production expecting anything but would be completely unrealistic. Every now and then you do see a few differences in certain materials (due to differences in shaders, texture usage, compression and last-minute optimization), but usually the pipeline is set to produce total parity in assets between the console versions, because approaching better quality per-version is far from worth the ROI.

And performance is certainly a part of the equation, thus the game doesn't reach parity between versions.

I will gladly take this over Destiny and the last gen content parity holding the game back from current gen abilities if one was to compare the two visions.
There are still plenty of clauses in licensing that dabble on version parity, but as a developer I guarantee that a lot of this "visual parity" stuff is mostly just conspiracy theory (even with regards to Ubisoft and a "company policy", but not a lot I can say nor show on that).

There are certain business/production realities that end up effecting some of these factors, but it's a complex matter of trade-offs between market shares, production efficiency, proprietary technology (for example, I've heard rumors of a scenario where late in development it has been hard to squeeze much more of the visuals when there simply is no room for more draw calls, which actually both consoles can be on pretty similar terms on performance, but then you're talking about API stuff etc. which can't be talked here) and a lot more.

Game looks AMAZING. Will probably get it for the XBOX ONE..just not sure from where, best buy gives you a 10 dollar reward certificate and I have GCU, but with amazon I have prime(Ends on Feb 8th) and I have a gift card so decisions decisions

this is kinda bullshit. both versions should get equal development time.
Why? If it's easier to get to target on PS4, which is easier to develop, shouldn't there be then more time used to make other version good too. If you have year to make game and PS4 version is "perfectly working" after 8 months, should they use more manpower to make xbone version good, or just keep developing and risking that other version is more of a mess than it should be? I just don't think these things are as black and white as some of you seem to think in this thread.

And with this, I'd say case closed.

Yeah. PS4 doesn't have screen tearing, there you go. That shit isn't easy or cheap to pull off.

Also, I'd imagine the PS4 has more of an overhead advantage so when it comes to higher stress tests it'll do a better job of staying at 30 fps w/ 33.33ms input response time.

...or not. Either way, game looks and performs great on both consoles. And I'm glad they made it 1080p on xbox one, that 900p shit on xone needed to stop.

24089691523_fb0d5e3d3f_o.png

24348868719_7e155964c8_o.png

Also, that's the ps4 version with chromatic aberration off and increased sharpness (IN-game sharpness setting mind you, I don't recommend fucking with your tv calibrations just for one game) up to 70. The game has a nice image quality, I don't know why the developers are trying to hide with a soft, chromatic aberrated look.

Nothing to do with being serious about parity, more likely that now the consoles have been out over 2yrs that devs are understanding the architecture more.

19e2en1mflkshjpg.jpg

yea thats why most graphically demanding games are running at a high resolution on ps4, with better frame rate.

WarpathDC

If it's anything like their other games, ubisoft typically has very CPU heavy releases (ass Creed, far cry). It may not be parity for the sake of parity but both systems strengths/weaknesses are just equaling out in this engine. That said, some may have expected marginally better visual fidelity on the PS4 with perhaps less of a fps drop in cpu intensive scenarios on the xbone. Or if many of the other posters on here are to be believed,it's an MS money hat scenario. I don't buy it though as ubisoft has released games at higher resolutions on ps4 than xbone before.

If I like what I am playing tonight I'll likely buy it on PC anyways. I can use my elite controller from my xbone or kb&m and not have to microanalzye every detail on DF, just max it out and let it roll (assuming it's not an unoptimized POS)

Flintty

Lol at the wanky parity posts in this thread. Man up people, stop crying about nothing, you sound pathetic.

Massive kudos to Massive for their work on this. I hope the final game runs as solid as the beta throughout.

W.S.

...or not. Either way, game looks and performs great on both consoles. And I'm glad they made it 1080p on xbox one, that 900p shit on xone needed to stop.

It can't be helped considering the hardware, anytime 1080p is achieved Xbox owners are just happy to have it provided the tradeoff's aren't too severe.

On the whole though 900p isn't an issue for me since a lot of games run at that res (and below) so I don't get too used to one particular resolution.

parity is good. i feel good about playing the division on my xbox one knowing it's the same as the ps4 version. thank you ubisoft. you got yourself a sale here.

Afrikan

Would love to see Massive Entertainment's SnopDrop engine used for an exclusive PS4 game... as well as an exclusive PC game.

My only issue with this is some texture pop in. Like bus signs etc they look great when you've been around them long enough for the texture to set in. Anyone else get that. (Happened on both Xbox one and ps4)

93xfan

Banned
Should't the ps4 version look better? It seems like the extra power is wasted.

This game looks mediocre all around and they decided to hold the PS4 version back for parity reasons? Yet another reason for fence sitters to pass on this game.

edit: Don't get why they made X1 the lead platform in the first place. Just make the best looking 1080p game you can on PS4 and lower the resolution/effects to get the X1 version running okay.

Ape

Banned
Since owning both next gen consoles I've been going where the content is. If the xbone has more missions and early access to dlc, I'll most likely end up there.

would be nice if console war nerds could shut up about parity and we could just talk about how the game looks great and runs well on consoles.

Qassim

I seems silly to be praising a game for managing to mostly stick at its 30fps target, but given how common it is for games to fall short of that target far too frequently, I suppose it deserves recognition. So, well done Massive for taking performance seriously enough.

Why are people mentioning the parity thing when its blatantly running worse (performance wise) on the xbox one.

Lets not ptretend that these consoles are more than cheap POS when it comes to hardware. Claiming parity is a little silly. there isn't parity, it';s just the xbox one version is at 1080p and totally fine. THe ps4 version perfoms better and seems to look better in shots I have seen, so why are we talking parity.

Im buying on xbox one. I love all my gaming hardware and i don't understand why anyone would think the ps4 should see some crazy increase on every game. A graphics card is one component. I could put my titan x with a 5960x or put it with an intel celeron and see some massive performance differences.

Having a better GPU is only one part of the puzzle,both consoles have wack CPU's and on the devision Im at 100 percent CPU a lot of the time on my overclocked i7 which smokes the console CPU's

C'mon guys just think a little level headed here. It's not like the ps4 beats the xbox one on every piece of hardware in it.

would be nice if console war nerds could shut up about parity and we could just talk about how the game looks great and runs well on consoles.

Hats off to you man! I completely agree. Massive have done a great job.

Edit. I just watched the dark zone videos and if the xbox one dropping a, at most, 3 frames is seen as terrible performance this gen then I think this is the best gen of consoles we have had so far.

Yeah. PS4 doesn't have screen tearing, there you go. That shit isn't easy or cheap to pull off.

Also, I'd imagine the PS4 has more of an overhead advantage so when it comes to higher stress tests it'll do a better job of staying at 30 fps w/ 33.33ms input response time.

24089691523_fb0d5e3d3f_o.png

24348868719_7e155964c8_o.png

Also, that's the ps4 version with chromatic aberration off and increased sharpness (IN-game sharpness setting mind you, I don't recommend fucking with your tv calibrations just for one game) up to 70. The game has a nice image quality, I don't know why the developers are trying to hide with a soft, chromatic aberrated look.

PS4 version looks sublime! This looks like an exclusives level of detail

M_A_C

VG Tech's framerate analysis vids show some dark zone footage and in those cases PS4 seems to hold up just as well as in DF's footage while XBO gets a bit shakier. I imagine these situations and later game missions will be where the differences manifest more often.

Xbox One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvF_TwLtUEM#t=09m54s

PS4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsiu1kpfrY#t=10m21s

The stats linked in those videos are telling:

Xbone - Total Torn Frames - 998

PS4 - Total Torn Frames - 0

Solid performance all-around. Nice job! (No I'm not sarcastic)
Not entirely. Some scenes show subtle differences. Like this one, the texture on the stand is sharper on the PS4 than on the XB1 for example.
naamloos0vswh.png

Skimming their comparison shots there's a few examples of this, not sure why I should be surprised that this wasn't picked up.

EGM1966

The stats linked in those videos are telling:

Xbone - Total Torn Frames - 998

PS4 - Total Torn Frames - 0

Whelp that sure nixes parity claims. Basically they went for a solid XB1 and took essentially same content to PS4 so sure there's not a huge visual difference but going by this the PS4 is going to be more stable fps overall with zero to no torn frames which in my book (as I hate screen tearing) shows that while perhaps not directly utilized the extra bit of omph in the PS4 is still delivering a better performance.

XB1 still looks decent though and overall looks like it's mostly solid bar the fps drops and torn frames in the more demanding moments.

John Wick

That forced parity...

500TF stronger GPU just for a little better performance? C´mon Ubisoft!

It's an Xbox marketed game. Obviously Politics have been in play. Just wasting the extra juice in the PS4 GPU.
At least we'll get a good laugh from all the people claiming DX12 as the holy grail and the gap decreasing etc

John Wick

What do you expect? 4k? Some extra ambient occlusion? 60 fps? It's already hitting 1080p so be fuckin content with it. A few more pixels and the game could tank, who knows. Specs on paper say nothing with these 400 dollar apu boxes.
Jeesh, some of you guys are like a cult following and praising everything on one camp and going into meltdown if things don't meet your unrealistic expectations.

Owners of the PS4 expect their version to utilise the extra GPU power to improve the graphics in the game not just match the Xbox One version. Better lighting,AA,AO etc. You need to calm down with your attitude. 30-40% more powerful GPU is significant!

Top Bottom