• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Persona 5 PS3/4 Comparison

dan2026

The game does look jaggerific in bright sun-lit areas, having a higher resolution would have taken care of that.

If they had put in any sort of anti aliasing if would of done the trick too.
You can't tell me this games didn't have power to spare on the PS4.

I could slice a finger off on some of the jaggies in this game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If they had put in any sort of anti aliasing if would of done the trick too.
You can't tell me this games didn't have power to spare on the PS4.

I could slice a finger off on some of the jaggies in this game.

Yeah, I updated my last reply shortly after posting it but I also believe the game doesn't have any kind of AA at all, or a very poor implementation. Doesn't have any coverage outside of darkly lit dungeon areas.

Gitaroo

some cheapo SMAA would clean up the game significantly. Sony should have step in and help them crank up the game AF and add SMAA for PS4 pro at least, even if it a sloppy pro support, still make the game look at lot better. If they can add geomatry 4K rendering that is even better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
some cheapo SMAA would clean up the game significantly. Sony should have step in and help them crank up the game AF and add SMAA for PS4 pro at least, even if it a sloppy pro support, still make the game look at lot better. If they can add geomatry 4K rendering that is even better.
There is already post-AA in the game, to be fair.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Do we think they'll add PS4 Pro mode? Or does Sony's rule about every game running better on Pro not apply because it launched in September in Japan?

I've had the Japanese version for a while and was holding out some hope that there would be a Pro update along with the International release. Oh well.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is there?

So why is it seemingly not present in a lot of scenes?
Or is it just poorly applied or something?

Its probably followin the PS3 algorithm. In that case it could be dispersed only in specific instances throughout the game to lighten the engine load on PS3 and that carried over to PS4. They seem to have felt that 1080p boost would make the assets sing by itself, which it does but only to a certain degree

I'll admit, this video pushed me to bite on a PS3 copy (30$ seems pretty good for this game). I have no idea when I''m getting a PS4, and the game seems to run reasonably well (especially considering its visuals). I'm kind of used to a softer image and frame drops on PS3 anyways, so I have no regrets.

I'm surprised they didn't use the Catherine engine. P5 looks, feels and plays (mostly the walking and jumping over things) exactly like Catherine.

Felspawn

As someone that hadn't enjoyed a JRPG in years, who felt it was a dying Genre this game has been heaven and easily GotY so far.

Fbh

The game has a lot of style and a cool art style which help it a lot.

But the Ps4 upgrade sounds pretty underwhelming . Doesn't seem like something that is taxing the hardware so it's dissapointing to hear about there being a lot of jaggies.Also, a pro version even if it was just a basic resolution bump would have been cool.

Why compare the triangle-count with Second Son? That's stupid. This is a PS3 game as base.

A better comparison would be another cross-gen title: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. In which Snake is made up of 18k polys.

The poly count is perfectly adequate for the art-direction.

I'm surprised they didn't use the Catherine engine. P5 looks, feels and plays (mostly the walking and jumping over things) exactly like Catherine.

Yeah. Until proven false, I'm gonna assume it's a newer version of that engine. Kinda like how Unreal Engine 4 isn't Unreal Engine 3. But it's still Unreal Engine.

BigEmil

Why compare the triangle-count with Second Son? That's stupid. This is a PS3 game as base.

A better comparison would be another cross-gen title: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. In which Snake is made up of 18k polys.

That's true

The entire point is that they're pointing out the difference in polys between this and a current gen exclusive game...

The entire point is that they're pointing out the difference in polys between this and a current gen exclusive game...

Why make that comparison with this game? Using Uncharted 3, God of War Ascension or The Last of Us with over double the poly-count would make for a more honest comparison. Persona and Second Son have completely different art directions.

Catherine has a Gamebryo logo at the start and Persona 5 doesn't, if that says anything.

Good catch! It's surprising though, considering they're both PS3 games and very similar in look and feel.

MGSVGZ runs at 60fps, tho.

The poly count could be higher or the frame rate could be higher.

There is already post-AA in the game, to be fair.
Are you sure it isn't dynamic? Some scenes look terrible while others look decent enough, jaggies wise. The scene on the fishing pool looks terrible, for example. The palaces look like they actually use some type of AA.

I don't have any screenshots to show you because ATLUS ¯_(ツ)_/¯ but I swear there's no AA at all on some scenes (crowded scenes, especially)

MGSVGZ runs at 60fps, tho.

The poly count could be higher or the frame rate could be higher.

Not on PS3. But yeah, Persona could probably be 60FPS on PS4. There's gotta be something holding it back though.

But it runs really well, and isn't the kind of game that would benefit much from 60FPS, so I don't mind. I'd rather have the increased shadow quality and v-sync for instance.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you sure it isn't dynamic? Some scenes look terrible while others look decent enough, jaggies wise. The scene on the fishing pool looks terrible, for example. The palaces look like they actually use some type of AA.

I don't have any screenshots to show you because ATLUS ¯_(ツ)_/¯ but I swear there's no AA at all on some scenes (crowded scenes, especially)
I think the coverage is intentionally limited as I do believe they were going for a sharp look. Their post-AA implementation is kinda poor and blurry so it may have been detrimental to some scenes. It would have benefited greatly from something like MSAA, though, or just better SMAA. Clearly, they didn't do a great job there.

I still think it could have been native 4K on PS4 Pro EASILY and would have looked amazing

RobRSG

I like the art direction but that's about it.

The game looks like a PS3 game. I even prefer playing it in remote play to hide the jaggies.

Kayant

Do we think they'll add PS4 Pro mode? Or does Sony's rule about every game running better on Pro not apply because it launched in September in Japan?
It's 1080p + same performance so Pro support is there :p which is the only real "mandate" iirc from the leaked guidelines. There again i seem to recall there being a sub native title on Pro.

mieumieu

If feels and moves the same way as Catherine, probably a newer one of Gamebryo.

thats not how engine works. Gamebryo is a very generic and flexible engine.
I am sure animation and character movement logic can be exported to other engine easily.

Hazanko

Banned
Nope, the game was released in JP months before the Pro patch cutoff date.

I think I need to be educated on this. Why can't Atlus do a pro patch again? It's a full priced game and it seems to be selling well. I've seen smaller devs offer pro patches for their games why do Atlus get a pass. I get you mean that they're not obligated to due to cutoff date but that's not stopped others.

mieumieu

I think I need to be educated on this. Why can't Atlus do a pro patch again? It's a full priced game and it seems to be selling well. I've seen smaller devs offer pro patches for their games why do Atlus get a pass. I get you mean that they're not obligated to due to cutoff date but that's not stopped others.

If devs don't do something then it is surely because of resource (budget and/or manpower) reasons. Also Atlus is not a big or technical proficient developer.

adamsapple

We put an article up on Eurogamer as well with screenshots for those curious.

Thanks, added to OP.

The verbiage and pictures in the article makes a very strong case for the PS3 version honestly, anyone sticking to it is absolutely not missing out on anything.

It's a real shame Atlus didn't put much effort into the up-port. Even the Yakuza and Tales of .. cross platform games were at the least 1080/60 on PS4.

adamsapple

So should I turn Boost Mode off for it or doesn't it really matter.

For me the main advantage of PS4 is sleep mode.

Keep boost mode on, leaving it on has not had a single negative impact in my 40+ hour run with the game so far.

They're not obliged because of the cut-off date but putting out a Pro patch at this point is solely on the developers. Sony cannot force them to put one out.

knerl

Im not sure how 60fps would have benefitted this game besides running in the castles.

A higher framerate maintains a sharper image while in motion. Being able to pan a camera around in a game w/o the image becoming blurry everywhere benefits every game. This is especially apparent when you close in on the 120+fps at 120+Hz. On a console that doesn't output more than 60Hz though it's not as big of a jump, but 60fps is still much more pleasant in this regard than 30fps.

Top Bottom