• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil Village on iPhone 15 Pro vs iPad Pro M1 vs Steam Deck - Resi Goes Mobile!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Resident Evil Village comes to iOS and in this video, we concentrate on how this triple-A PC port looks and runs on Apple's recently release iPhone 15 Pro. The truth is, you're getting a unified iOS/MacOS port that's essentially a close relation of the PC version, meaning that even on the go with iPhone or iPad, you have access to the complete range of PC's settings and presets - plus MetalFX upscaling. It's an interesting project... but just how well does it work?

00:00 Overview
01:11 iPhone visual settings and performance
09:11 Performance comparisons with Steam Deck, iPad, and MacBook Pro
11:49 Other issues
13:22 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:
DF do'in mobile.
I've got these games on my iPhone 15 pro max, They play just fine, but I've never played them on console so can't compare.
I was an anti Resident Evil poster and hated seeing the threads everyday. But now I've played the games and understand the love.
Yay mobile.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Jow my mobile version is kinda borked when i connect my iphone 15pro to usb my audio instantly cuts off ..
Tested the steam dock. And the dual sense controller with usb c to the phone pretty weird

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s completely bonkers to me that this is able to run at all on a tiny, passively cooled device. I would never want to play the game like this, but this is still damned impressive.

SomeGit

I can do a basic summary

-Looks great on screen on iPhone screen, best looking phone game Oliver has seen, maximum resolution is 900p
-Thermal throttle is not an issue, settles clocks after a minute or 2 with not performance penalty observed
-TAA seems broken so recommends Metal FX Quality, also improves performance, unlike most other settings
-Higher memory settings like Texture Quality will crash the game after a while
-Metal FX Quality renders at 0.4 on each axis on iPhone, unlike the Mac version which is 0.5 times
-Metal FX Quality is ML based like DLSS 2 and looks good, except for transparent surfaces, while Metal FX Performance is a spacial upscaler like FSR 1.0 but looks worse than FSR 1
-Uncapped the game has major frame time issues, capped to 30 fps seems to improve this a lot but event then the game doesn't have stable performance in a lot of areas
-M1 iPad Pro has better performance but not transformative
-Steam Deck runs around twice as fast while rendering at 1080p, but consumes more power
-Unpleasent to play on touch but supports controllers

Basically it's a neat tech demo, but it's not a great way to play.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

This sounds like a "This toaster runs Doom" situation.
Yes it can run the game, but you wouldn`t want to experience the game like this let alone buy the device for this. And this toaster costs more than a grand, too.
It´s a nice PR material and not much more.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Still sounds like it wins worst version of the game to me (on a phone, even if using a controller), too bad.

Most disappointed in the framerate. Maybe the 16 will be able to run 60fps.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What the hell adamsapple adamsapple , unless Xbox is the clear cut winner, you don’t post a detailed summary? Fucking green rat.

ct-in-the-hat-funny.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What the hell adamsapple adamsapple , unless Xbox is the clear cut winner, you don’t post a detailed summary? Fucking green rat.

ct-in-the-hat-funny.gif

Too much settings jargon for me lol.

The TL-DR is that it's ok for a phone, increasing settings to the max makes the app crash and Steam Deck runs better than Iphone Pro Max Championship Edition.

Top Bottom