• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Sea of Thieves Goes Multi-Plat: PS5 and Xbox Series X/S Tested!

Lysandros

It’s possible. DF is literally bringing the receipts, all Xbox gotta do is check em. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft has the inside scoop on these reviews, even before the Patreon early access subscribers.
Well i heard that a very professional DF analyst amost cried and begged them for it the last time.

While at it, i think this is also the best time for John to post his new versus summary on X. which shows that "in games he personally tested XSX won the most comparisons against PS5." It's been two years, it would calm the audiences somewhat.

I'd imagine it's something to do with the xbox version running on everything from the x1, while the Ps5 version is built from the ground up for Ps5.
To be honest the differences are not really noticeable, certainly not while playing the game.
I know xbox fans will be annoyed that this has happend and PS fans will run with it, but it shows Microsoft don't give a shit about the console wars and just want the game to sell. If the xbox version was clearly better then that might stick in the throat of PS fans l, this way they are happy. Xbox fans will have already decided if they like the game or not, while PS fans are the ones who need to be convincedm

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Even Timdog has accepted the truth

Wait until Timmy sees it running on the PS5 Pro

die kill me GIF by South Park

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nope... this excuse doesn't cut it. It's a port to a different platform to begin with, so there is a learning curve there. But more importantly, we have seen much later ports in the opposite direction, from PS5 to XSX which had the XSX version be worse.
I mean, that’s almost an Xbox 360 game. Couldn’t have been hard to push it a bit further when it came out 8 years ago.

Wait until Timmy sees it running on the PS5 Pro

die kill me GIF by South Park

Interesting how he speaks up proclaiming he always gave criticism when it’s clear he didn’t. He was even mocked for constantly saying things like “wait till E3”.

The only criticism he could ever muster was “it is what it is”. Yeah , hardly calling things out that .

He is an arrogant clout chaser, attention seeker , a phoney .

Him and others have made a cunt of the Xbox community over the years

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Interesting how he speaks up proclaiming he always gave criticism when it’s clear he didn’t. He was even mocked for constantly saying things like “wait till E3”.

The only criticism he could ever muster was “it is what it is”. Yeah , hardly calling things out that .

He is an arrogant clout chaser, attention seeker , a phoney .

Him and others have made a cunt of the Xbox community over the years

Completely agree!

Lysandros

I'd imagine it's something to do with the xbox version running on everything from the x1, while the Ps5 version is built from the ground up for Ps5.
Sure, why not. Since it's PS5 being a bit better and we know this system is made of spiritual parts, it all comes down to "everything but the hardware".

Bojji

1. Exclusives - should be build around strengths of target platform (true for HFS, not that much true for SoT that was last gen)
2. PS5 is a weaker hardware on paper
3. They had all the time in the world to patch Xbox versions (to match PS5) before launching games on PS5 but they didn't

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I am not familiar with this 'timdog' person, should I care what they have to say?
I wish I had your experience with Timdog. This oaf actually filmed himself outside a target harassing mothers buying PS4s in 2013/2014 instead of an Xbone.
It's hilarious that former Xbox console exclusives are better on PS5.
Deathloop and Ghostwire had a year exclusivity on PS5 and after that the Xbox version released was worse than the PS5. The devs had a year and did the minimum. It's not a suprise at this stage.

onQ123

1. Exclusives - should be build around strengths of target platform (true for HFS, not that much true for SoT that was last gen)
2. PS5 is a weaker hardware on paper
3. They had all the time in the world to patch Xbox versions (to match PS5) before launching games on PS5 but they didn't
False PS5 has the straight forward rendering advantage while Series X has Compute advantage stop using one part of a GPU to claim a victory.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nope... this excuse doesn't cut it. It's a port to a different platform to begin with, so there is a learning curve there. But more importantly, we have seen much later ports in the opposite direction, from PS5 to XSX which had the XSX version be worse.

Deathloop and Ghostwire had a year exclusivity on PS5 and after that the Xbox version released was worse than the PS5. The devs had a year and did the minimum. It's not a suprise at this stage.

Deathloop runs 10~15 FPS better on Xbox in the 120hz mode (and similarly in the Quality mode) ... one or two ports don't really say much in either case.

Ne1XGm2.png

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’s good that Microsoft’s first party have the professional pride to ensure their ports are running to their maximum potential rather than deliberately gimping them. Well done to Rare for making an exceptional port of a beautiful game.

What’s also clear is that it’s clearly harder to utilise the full potential of the Xbox consoles compared to the PS5.

I doubted Mark Cerny when he was talking about the ‘magic juju’ prior to launch, I’ll never doubt him again. They’ve clearly made something insanely dev friendly, so well done.

Lysandros

False PS5 has the straight forward rendering advantage while Series X has Compute advantage stop using one part of a GPU to claim a victory.
Exactly. PS5 GPU being ~20% more powerful at fixed function throughputs (also based on "specs" or the very famous "paper" by the way) is the very first thing to ignore for the wishful thinker/voluntary blind. And there are all sorts of other technical facets to consider in order to objectively assess the overall "power" of those systems. Even in the matter on single metrics, there are nuances; PS5 having the advantage in async compute is one such example, cache amount/bandwidth available per compute unit is another one.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s good that Microsoft’s first party have the professional pride to ensure their ports are running to their maximum potential rather than deliberately gimping them. Well done to Rare for making an exceptional port of a beautiful game.

What’s also clear is that it’s clearly harder to utilise the full potential of the Xbox consoles compared to the PS5.

I doubted Mark Cerny when he was talking about the ‘magic juju’ prior to launch, I’ll never doubt him again. They’ve clearly made something insanely dev friendly, so well done.
To addon here I have heard some sites mention the reason why PS5 does so well in head to head matchups with the Series X is that Devs target the PS5 version because of the player base size and do not further optimize games for the extra power of the Series X

What's the excuse when MS first party titles thats been on Xbox for years come out on PS5 and perform better there?

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

onQ123

To addon here I have heard some sites mention the reason why PS5 does so well in head to head matchups with the Series X is that Devs target the PS5 version because of the player base size and do not further optimize games for the extra power of the Series X

What's the excuse when MS first party titles thats been on Xbox for years come out on PS5 and perform better there?

Funny thing is that the games that would show a big advantage for Xbox Series X are most likely games that Sony pushed for on PS4 when it had extra compute leftover in contrast to the fixed function pipeline like Dreams & Tomorrow Children

Darsxx82

You have given yourself the answer....

That said, there are first party Xbox games that work better on XSX and in those cases the excuses went the other way ("MS spends more time optimizing its console version or even boycotts the PS5 version").

From there, the question becomes a little dishonest with reality. Because you have a lot of games that work better on XSX being the console with the least attention and generally PS5 being the base platform.

I don't know, maybe you're implying that in all these cases (first and3rd parties) Studios have been boycotting the PS5 version??🤔 🙃

Last edited:

Unknown?

The Story Continues

OJA1e7r.png
*boom* Roasted! Stuart360 Stuart360

onQ123

That said, there are first party Xbox games that work better on XSX and in those cases the excuses went the other way ("MS spends more time optimizing its console version or even boycotts the PS5 version").

From there, the question becomes a little dishonest with reality. Because you have a lot of games that work better on XSX being the console with the least attention and generally PS5 being the base platform.

I don't know, maybe you're implying that in all these cases (first and3rd parties) Studios have been boycotting the PS5 version??🤔 🙃
You clearly misunderstood that post lol

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Exactly.

SKYF@ll

It's interesting that Microsoft's first party games (PS5 version) are better.
GhostWire Tokyo : better RT & fps, HifiRush : better shadow, Sea of Thieves : better shadow & Lod & fps , DoomEternal : better texture
*XSX version of DoomEternal (120Hz mode) has the advantage of resolution.

GhostWire Tokyo : better RT & fps, HifiRush : better shadow, Sea of Thieves : better shadow & Lod & fps , DoomEternal : better texture
Doom Eternal is superior on Series X not even close actually, runs at a higher resolution consistently.

jroc74

Oh dear .... 🙃

Anyway like that post was saying, SoT has been out on Xbox for many years. Isn't it kinda odd a brand new PS5 port seems to have advantages?

Its takes a brand new PS5 port for a long running Xbox exclusive to get better...... on Xbox?

Does not compute.

Bojji

I know, but most people when looking at GPU specs see Teraflops and Xbox is better in this aspect. That's why until first games arrived 90% of people expected Xbox to be better trough the whole generation.

Results are what they are but games formerly exclusive to Xbox that look/run better on PS5 are especially "interesting".

Darsxx82

Oh dear .... 🙃

Anyway like that post was saying, SoT has been out on Xbox for many years. Isn't it kinda odd a brand new PS5 port seems to have advantages?

Its takes a brand new PS5 port for a long running Xbox exclusive to get better...... on Xbox?

Does not compute.
It is not strange, it will always depend on the interest that MS has in updating the version of a game that in this case have 3 and a half years old.
That is the issue and what draws attention, that MS or its Studios are not putting any interest in polishing/updating small details of their games released years ago on their console to adjust them to the new ports for PS5. It's as if they understood that it's not worth it and that now the priority is to sell the PS5 version.

As I said, you have many cases of all types of first party and 3rd party games that work better in XSX. This means that the situation of the post (whether sarcasm or not) has no meaning because the opposite situation could also arise.

Darsxx82

Deathloop is significantly better performance on XSX. DoomEternal Is VRS not textures and run at 40% more resolución than PS5.

Last edited:

jroc74

It is not strange, it will always depend on the interest that MS has in updating the version of a game that in this case have 3 and a half years old.
That is the issue and what draws attention, that MS or its Studios are not putting any interest in polishing/updating small details of their games released years ago on their console to adjust them to the new ports for PS5. It's as if they understood that it's not worth it and that now the priority is to sell the PS5 version.

As I said, you have many cases of all types of first party and 3rd party games that work better in XSX. This means that the situation of the post (whether sarcasm or not) has no meaning because the opposite situation could also arise.
This makes no sense since the game has been updated and improved on Xbox for years. Make a PS5 port...and just say the hell with the Xbox version?

Other 3rd party multi platform games is whatever, many variables for those. This is about a former Xbox exclusive thats now on PS5.

Top Bottom