• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Technical Analysis - COD Modern Warfare Warzone Mode PS4/XBO/Pro/X

Evilms

Banned

Summary

• The Xbox One X version runs in dynamic resolution, the lowest native resolution is 1920x2160 and the highest is 3840x2160 with temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160.
  • On PS4 Pro it's the same, the lowest native resolution is 1388x1528 and the highest is 2716x1528 with temporal reconstruction to increase the number of pixels.
  • On PS4 it's 1920x1080 dynamic, the lowest native resolution is 960x1080.
  • The Xbox One version is 1600x900 dynamic with sometimes a few drops below this resolution.
  • Slight differences in LoD between PS4/XBO and Pro/X versions.
  • The big difference between the 4 versions is in the resolution.
  • The basic effects (pipeline, motion blur...etc) are all the same for the 4 versions.
  • The PS4 Pro version is the smoothest of all often at 60fps with vertical sync enabled with a few drops to 55fps in the worst case.
  • The Xbox One X version uses adaptive vertical sync, some framerate drops below 50fps with tearing to reduce jerking. Drops are a bit more frequent, this is the price for a much higher resolution than the PS4 Pro version.
  • The PS4 version runs at 45~60fps with v-sync enabled. However, as with all Battle Royale games, the more players that die, the smoother the experience.
  • The Xbox One in 30~60fps and even more tearing than the Xbox One X version, 30fps in the most demanding zones, the 60fps is only in 1v1.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Pro version is the one to get on consoles, unless your tv supports VRR, X1X version with dips to ~50fps should work well on it (plus it has higher resolution).

skneogaf

It's absolutely amazing that this game can run on the original consoles nevermind the updated versions. Next generation will be incredible with actual okay cpus!

stranno

So, beat the game and you'll get a smooth framerate. Interesting mechanics. :pie_roffles:
EDF is the quintessential example of that.

In Monster Attack and Global Defense for PlayStation 2 you start at 5-10 frames per second and it can reach stable 30 frames per second when you kill 60%+ of the enemies. It's a performance rollercoaster.

The performance is that bad enemies won't attack you until the first of second minute.

And, for some reason, they are cult games..

Last edited:

Portugeezer

So, beat the game and you'll get a smooth framerate. Interesting mechanics. :pie_roffles:
Is that even true though? As the game goes on, yes you have less players but the map shrinks so more action happens in a smaller area... I would have thought that is more taxing.

Max_Po

Banned
You know Corona Virus has affected and penetrated mainstream gaming news when DigiFoundry has nothing better to do than... ANALYZE A Call of Doody Game....

Fbh

Frame rate should take priority over resolution. If you can’t hit 60 a massive majority of the time, then just drop the damn resolution down until you do.

That goes for Pro and X, btw.

Fed up of it.

Or better yet, they should give players the choice of what they prefer.

I can't imagine that adding a couple of basic resolution settings (something like "focus on performance" and "focus on resolution" ) would be that complex

Last edited:
X1X minimum resolution is 96% higher than the Pro, and even the Pro hold 60 fps with it's more sensible resolution range.

It's too much. Resolution scaling window should be lower. For both, but particularly for X1X.

Base X1 needs to retire. I doubt anyone is developing with the 32MB of esram in mind any more.

I thought this was going into be ass like Blackout but it's actually better and FUN! Give it a try, especially if you have friends to squad up with.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Been playing on the 1X, i hope they do lower the resolution a tad, so we can get very close to a locked 60fps.

Banned
So PS4 pro is the best version..

slightly higher framerate vs. way higher resolution
so no, it's a matter of preferences, and a matter of what kind of TV you have.
with a freesync TV you will not only eliminate the tearing but also smooth out stutters on One X.

also in a Battle Royale game it is an advantage to have better vision into the distance, so a higher resolution is pretty handy.

I personally can only play this on PC because no console version has an FOV slider and the FOV the game is set to is the lowest I've seen since Halo 3 (was Halo 4's lower, that game is blocked from my memory, so I can't remember) and roughly around 75° if I had to guess.
what I'm saying is that the framerate and resolution is not the biggest issue here, an FOV slider is direly needed!

Or comprimised pixels and comprimised framerate in the PS4 pros case

Really? "The PS4 Pro version is the smoothest of all often at 60fps with vertical sync enabled with a few drops to 55fps in the worst case. "

Compared to this : "The Xbox One X version uses adaptive vertical sync, some framerate drops below 50fps with tearing to reduce jerking. Drops are a bit more frequent,

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Really? "The PS4 Pro version is the smoothest of all often at 60fps with vertical sync enabled with a few drops to 55fps in the worst case. "

Compared to this : "The Xbox One X version uses adaptive vertical sync, some framerate drops below 50fps with tearing to reduce jerking. Drops are a bit more frequent,

Yes the pros framerate is less comprimised, but still comprimised.

Yes the pros framerate is less comprimised, but still comprimised.

So, in that case, since you mentioned compromised pixels in Pro case, so, it also the same can go for XboneX

"The Xbox One X version runs in dynamic resolution, the lowest native resolution is 1920x2160 and the highest is 3840x2160 with temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160. "

So, it's not native and it's compromised pixels.

Banned

PS4 Pro
min : 51 / max : 60 / avg : 58.9 fps

Xbox One X
min : 47 / max : 60 / avg : 57.35 fps

PS4
min : 41 / max : 60 / avg : 53.41 fps

Xbox One
min : 37 / max : 60 / avg : 50.35 fps

they really should give the One X version an aggressive dynamic resolution setting like Wolfenstein 2 got after a patch. just so you have the option to iron out the frame drops.
but like I said, on a freesync TV you wouldn't get tearing and the frame drops will be less noticeable. which is also a reason an option for this would be great. if you have freesync you will be fine with the current performance, if you don't have freesync a more aggressive resolution scaling option would make a big difference.

Sosokrates

So, in that case, since you mentioned compromised pixels in Pro case, so, it also the same can go for XboneX

"The Xbox One X version runs in dynamic resolution, the lowest native resolution is 1920x2160 and the highest is 3840x2160 with temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160. "

So, it's not native and it's compromised pixels.

Yes, all versions are comprimised, but some less then others.

icerock

Played on base ps4. Not so bad.

Really? I'm playing with my squad and one of them play on base PS4 and I honestly couldn't believe how bad the game ran through their POV. Like it was legit lagging at fps of ~10-15 at times

I'm glad that new gen is (at worst) an year away from us, its about time these toasters are retired.

Codes 208

Seriously, 40% more gpu power doesnt equate 2-3x the resolution. Stop trying to brute force a higher rez when it means compromising overall performance in a game when input and frames actually matter.

framerate > resolution

Seriously, 40% more gpu power doesnt equate 2-3x the resolution. Stop trying to brute force a higher rez when it means compromising overall performance in a game when input and frames actually matter.

framerate > resolution

The bandwidth advantage of X1X can get you to around ~70% more performance than the Pro. Anything more is unusual.

In this case, pushing a 96% higher minimum resolution is too much, and so you lose about a 2% average frame rate and - more importantly, about a 10% minimum frame rate.

Fake

Really? I'm playing with my squad and one of them play on base PS4 and I honestly couldn't believe how bad the game ran through their POV. Like it was legit lagging at fps of ~10-15 at times

I'm glad that new gen is (at worst) an year away from us, its about time these toasters are retired.
I played BF3 online on Xbox 360 for like 3 years. Besides, no screen tear helps a lot.

Armorian

Banned
The bandwidth advantage of X1X can get you to around ~70% more performance than the Pro. Anything more is unusual.

In this case, pushing a 96% higher minimum resolution is too much, and so you lose about a 2% average frame rate and - more importantly, about a 10% minimum frame rate.

I could be wrong here but DF doesn't mention lowest resolution of Pro version in video. What they say:

3840x2160 maximum on X1X with 1920x2160 at the lowest point

~2716x1528 maximum on Pro with xxxxx as the lowest, I'm watching their video right and they fail to mention that but we can assume that scaler works only horizontaly like all different versions and maybe 1920x1528 is the lowest resolution, that means:

X1X lowest resolution - ‭4 147 200‬ pixels
Pro lowest resolution - 2 933 760‬ pixels

Xbox lowest resolution would be ~41% higher. But maybe they mention resolution drop on Pro and my math is fucked up in this case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shmunter

Doesn’t leave much to the imagination which system was lead platform.

With dynamic Rez the xbx should have sustained 60, but it seems like no one gave a shit.

Armorian

Banned
Doesn’t leave much to the imagination which system was lead platform.

With dynamic Rez the xbx should have sustained 60, but it seems like no one gave a shit.

It's probably because their engine can't scale verticaly on the fly and they locked horizontal resolution to 1920 as the lowest on X1X, they could unlock it to go lower but it would look like shit at times. Once they "add" vertical scaling this should be an easy fix. Chances are 50/50.

Last edited:
I could be wrong here but DF doesn't mention lowest resolution of Pro version in video. What they say:

3840x2160 maximum on X1X with 1920x2160 at the lowest point

~2716x1528 maximum on Pro with xxxxx as the lowest, I'm watching their video right and they fail to mention that but we can assume that scaler works only horizontaly like all different versions and maybe 1920x1528 is the lowest resolution, that means:

X1X lowest resolution - ‭4 147 200‬ pixels
Pro lowest resolution - 2 933 760‬ pixels

Xbox lowest resolution would be ~41% higher. But maybe they mention resolution drop on Pro and my math is fucked up in this case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Going by the OP lowest Pro native resolution is 1388x1528 - about half the minimum of X1X.

"On PS4 Pro it's the same, the lowest native resolution is 1388x1528 and the highest is 2716x1528 with temporal reconstruction to increase the number of pixels. "

The resolution range seems to max out at a 16:9 ratio determined by the fixed vertical resolution (e.g. 1920 x 1080 on PS4), dropping horizontally to a minimum of about half that (e.g. 960 x 1080 on PS4). For this reason I suspect the Pro's absolute minimum horizontal resolution is actually 1358, but this was never observed.

If you assume lowest resolution occurs during lowest frame rate, minimum fillrate for the two machines is going to be something like:

X1X: 47 x 1920 x 2160 = 197 Mpixels/s
Pro: 51 x 1388 x 1528 = 108 Mpixels/s

So while X1X minimum resolution is 96% higher than the Pro, X1X minimum fillrate is only about 82% higher (might be less if X1X didn't employ tearing at very lower frame rate). Still an impressive jump, but a definite sign that the X1X doesn't have the legs for the resolution its pushing. And likely a sign that the game is BW bound rather than ALU bound - and that might also explain the woeful X1 performance.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
So PS4 pro is the best version..

So back when Xbox One had slightly better framerates on lower resolution games, turns out they were the better versions all along? and all these years I've been buying the PS4 version omg smh

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Going by the OP lowest Pro native resolution is 1388x1528 - about half the minimum of X1X.

"On PS4 Pro it's the same, the lowest native resolution is 1388x1528 and the highest is 2716x1528 with temporal reconstruction to increase the number of pixels. "

The resolution range seems to max out at a 16:9 ratio determined by the fixed vertical resolution (e.g. 1920 x 1080 on PS4), dropping horizontally to a minimum of about half that (e.g. 960 x 1080 on PS4). For this reason I suspect the Pro's absolute minimum horizontal resolution is actually 1358, but this was never observed.

If you assume lowest resolution occurs during lowest frame rate, minimum fillrate for the two machines is going to be something like:

X1X: 47 x 1920 x 2160 = 197 Mpixels/s
Pro: 51 x 1388 x 1528 = 108 Mpixels/s

So while X1X minimum resolution is 96% higher than the Pro, X1X minimum fillrate is only about 82% higher (might be less if X1X didn't employ tearing at very lower frame rate). Still an impressive jump, but a definite sign that the X1X doesn't have the legs for the resolution its pushing. And likely a sign that the game is BW bound rather than ALU bound - and that might also explain the woeful X1 performance.

I still wonder where that "1388" number comes from but anyway... it boggles my mind why developers make such decisions to proritorize resolution over framerate in game like this, if they can't scale verticaly they could just use same resolution setup as Pro and have 60 fps locked target with resolution usually in upper limits, or use something between 1528 and 2160 - there is a lot of room here.

So back when Xbox One had slightly better framerates on lower resolution games, turns out they were the better versions all along? and all these years I've been buying the PS4 version omg smh

What games behaved like this? I remeber 1 or 2 but enlight me. But I agree, if the framerate was noticeably better on X1 then this verion was better IMO, unless resolution drop was that severe. I think that perceived difference between 1600x900 and 1920x1080 on native 1080p set is greater than between (say) 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 on 4K set but that's just my opinion :)

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

PS4 Pro
min : 51 / max : 60 / avg : 58.9 fps

Xbox One X
min : 47 / max : 60 / avg : 57.35 fps

PS4
min : 41 / max : 60 / avg : 53.41 fps

Xbox One
min : 37 / max : 60 / avg : 50.35 fps

So there’s a 1fps average difference on Xbox One X with a much higher resolution yet the some people are saying pro version is superior? Man, the stupidity in this thread!

Evilms

Banned
So there’s a 1fps average difference on Xbox One X with a much higher resolution yet the some people are saying pro version is superior? Man, the stupidity in this thread!

It's not as simple as that, the X version goes down to below 50fps and also has some tearing which is unpleasant on screen, the Pro on this side is better.

And since the X has a cpu as crappy as the Pro (poor jaguar) that's the price to pay for such a high resolution, there are no miracles.

Framerates don't tell the whole story. Check out the others stats like 5th and 1st percentile framerate (Pro has 5 fps higher on both) and frame time count: Pro runs at 60fps 98% of the time, XBX runs at 60fps (without screen tearing) 86% of the time.

Last edited:

Flick

Banned

yeah. People like to shit on Xbox here. It’s getting ridiculous. it looks sharp and not like a blurry mess on any 4K TV, so 1 FPS less doesn’t really matter and most people won’t notice at all.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Framerates don't tell the whole story. Check out the others stats like 5th and 1st percentile framerate (Pro has 5 fps higher on both) and frame time count: Pro runs at 60fps 98% of the time, XBX runs at 60fps (without screen tearing) 86% of the time.
Really, people fighting over 5fps? That’s nothing in the grand scheme of things, especially for the added sharpness you get on the X on a 4K TV. If it was 15-20fps sure you’d have a point. But 5fps less for 90% added resolution is a fair trade off. Sure they could work on the dynamic resolution a bit, but it’s still easy to see right now why the X version is best, as it should be.

Top Bottom