• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Technical Analysis - COD Modern Warfare Warzone Mode PS4/XBO/Pro/X

I still wonder where that "1388" number comes from but anyway... it boggles my mind why developers make such decisions to proritorize resolution over framerate in game like this, if they can't scale verticaly they could just use same resolution setup as Pro and have 60 fps locked target with resolution usually in upper limits, or use something between 1528 and 2160 - there is a lot of room here.

Agreed! They could easily have gone lower with the vertical resolution (and therefore also the horizontal scaling range) and had appreciably better performance with a minimal hit to clarity.

A ten percent drop in vertical resolution would lead to an overall drop in resolution range of nearly 20%, and once motion blur, temporal reconstruction, and whatever other processes are in place I doubt most people would even notice.

So there’s a 1fps average difference on Xbox One X with a much higher resolution yet the some people are saying pro version is superior? Man, the stupidity in this thread!

The thing is it's a really impressive result for the X1X in terms of native pixels drawn per second - minimums put the X1X at about 80% higher - but that push to hit 4K and avoid vertical scaling has had an unfortunately large impact on frame rate at stress points, and the choice to use adaptive sync will only compound this.

Wrong balance of priorities IMO, but then again I'm not the director of a hugely successful game so maybe I'm wrong. :lollipop_confounded:

thelastword

Banned
So another game where PRO comes out on top in framerate by a good margin, especially for a competitive shooter like this.

This has been the common theme for PRO since late 2017....Like anything devs are pushing XBONEX too hard in the resolution department, like PRO it's not exactly a 4k native console, though it can push that figure, but mostly in 30fps games with reduced settings at medium and some lower.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
So another game where PRO comes out on top in framerate by a good margin, especially for a competitive shooter like this.

This has been the common theme for PRO since late 2017....Like anything devs are pushing XBONEX too hard in the resolution department, like PRO it's not exactly a 4k native console, though it can push that figure, but mostly in 30fps games with reduced settings at medium and some lower.
Not really Borderlands 3, Rage 2, Control, Vanquish remake, Bayontta remake, Jedi fallen Knight, Dragonball Kakorot and that Yooka laylee is 1080p while 4k on X both 60fps though. Those are just a few from the last few months. The Cod game and Wolfenstein Youngblood have better framerate than X but at a lot lower resolution.

BigLee74

Wow, almost twice the resolution of the Pro? For real? And the usual suspects come out declaring the Pro the winner? Not on my 55 inch 4k TV it isn't. But screen tearing. Urgh. Still, lowering the res slightly (although not gimping it to anywhere near Pro levels) should be more than plenty to bring the framerate back up you'd think...

Romulus

Framerates don't tell the whole story. Check out the others stats like 5th and 1st percentile framerate (Pro has 5 fps higher on both) and frame time count: Pro runs at 60fps 98% of the time, XBX runs at 60fps (without screen tearing) 86% of the time.

I think averages are a really good overall metric for framerate. X1X shouldn't even be close to those framerates considering the massive gap in resolution, but it is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
yeah. People like to shit on Xbox here. It’s getting ridiculous. it looks sharp and not like a blurry mess on any 4K TV, so 1 FPS less doesn’t really matter and most people won’t notice at all.
Be weary of who posts DF tests.

They usually come from Sony fans trying to nitpick stats. If there's a DF test which shows PS systems better than Xbox at something, they'll post it.

If the DF test shows Xbox X better, they don't post it. And neither do Xbox fans.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

The OG Xbox One needs to die! Microsoft supporting it for 2 years into next gen with their exclusives is a big mistake.

Banned
The OG Xbox One needs to die! Microsoft supporting it for 2 years into next gen with their exclusives is a big mistake.

I mean... why not give people the option? these games will run at unstable 30 fps and 720p-ish resolutions... but I mean, better than not having the option at all 🤷‍♂️

Justin9mm

I mean... why not give people the option? these games will run at unstable 30 fps and 720p-ish resolutions... but I mean, better than not having the option at all 🤷‍♂️
Holds back the game for the Series X. It's not just the resolution and fps they need to downgrade.

Fake

So, why not go even more far and support the Xbox 360? If you get what I mean, you will probably will get what he mean.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
free and fun don't normally work together in gaming but ok

jA01IHw.jpg

Markness

Banned
Game looks excellent on my 4K TV. If I am playing in a sweaty way then PC is the way to go, but when I am enjoying myself, then on my 60-inch TV with a wireless headset and controller is the way to go (on the Xbox One X).

Top Bottom