• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Uncharted 4 pushes PS4 tech to the next level (E3 demo analysis)

Apathy

I'm not talking about any console warrior conspiracy, nor am I even talking about parity. I'm talking about the amount of time and effort to get a game running on one console vs the other. You honestly think multiplat dev's spend as much time getting the most out of each console as a first party exclusive? By definition they can't, because they can't design specifically for that platform.

Nothing about the post you quoted had anything to do with console warrior conspiracies. You're the one that brought it up and claimed something that isn't true.

Just because one version runs at 1080p and the other 900p does not mean the dev's are taking full advantage of either system architecture like they would if they were only designing for one platform. That goes both ways btw (a game designed for XB1 will take better advantage of the console than a multiplat). That's why the best looking games on either platform are typically exclusives.

Stop trying to make this into something it's not.

Edit: Unless I completely misconstrued the post you were replying to and he was indeed trying to make it into some conspiracy theory, in which case I apologize. I didn't get that intention from that post at all.

I think we crossed some lines cause the original thing i was replying to was

I feel it's just the opposite. Multiplats are more likely to cause parity, intentional or not (as in, "hey the PS4 version is running fine already, let's focus on improving the XB1 build now"), while exclusives tend to better demonstrate how far a console can go.

I was countering that concept that multiplat devs were going to put more effort into the xbox one version since the ps4 one was easier to program and get running at a decent state

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'd like to see some evidence that this is more dependent on region than it is on the rotation of the Earth around the Sun and along its own axis.

I was just about to post this, lol.

To add, people who saw the original demo and knew landmarks in Madagascar are the ones that pointed it out during E3 before it was made official. But ok then.

You might be right. Either way, it gets on the Jeep a bit unrealistically, if we want to nitpick. I don't mind though.

It surely does, but I have to say that in the second video that we have, the one with the extended playthrough, the effect is minimized thanks to a different position of the car respect the camera that kind of hide the moment in which appear and the result is more natural. Question of luck, I suppose....

I love Naughty Dog and Uncharted, and I don't like what I'm doing with this message but do not believe these pictures are in game:

Uncharted-4_drake-looking_1434429044.jpg

748010169629697965369dbfdc9oj.jpg

These are in game, taken form the Gamersyde video of the E3 demo (high quality):
142797Uncharted41.png

307495Uncharted42.png

Yes there is compression and it will be better in game, but I don't think it will top the quality of the two first pictures. So yes cut-scenes are probably in real time (http://bignoobs.com/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-will-have-real-time-cut-scenes-and-level-up-animation/) but they don't look as good as we can think.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Bullshots will always exist, the TLOU original trailer was that. That being said, the end stage product next year will be a fine treat indeed.

Metfanant

To be very precise, I am talking about the level of luminescence. It's something that's very hard to capture in pictures for obvious reasons. It's very hard to transcribe into a video game. The game is stylized and I don't know how the tech works. It matters very little anyway. They're not shooting for perfect authenticity. If they were, that inscription wouldn't really be in English.

Can you stop talking out of your ass please?

HarryKS

Can you stop talking out of your ass please?

Which part do you disagree with?

Might be a monastery set up by passing English peoples. It's a possibility.

I maintain it isn't able to mimic the level of illumination/luminescence in that region. Never questioned the set. Just the lighting.

Javin98

Banned
I love Naughty Dog and Uncharted, and I don't like what I'm doing with this message but do not believe these pictures are in game:

Uncharted-4_drake-looking_1434429044.jpg

748010169629697965369dbfdc9oj.jpg

These are in game, taken form the Gamersyde video of the E3 demo (high quality):
142797Uncharted41.png

307495Uncharted42.png

Yes there is compression and it will be better in game, but I don't think it will top the quality of the two first pictures. So yes cut-scenes are probably in real time (http://bignoobs.com/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-will-have-real-time-cut-scenes-and-level-up-animation/) but they don't look as good as we can think.
Where did you get those two bottom pics? If you captured it from your display, are you sure your display is calibrated properly? It looks oddly washed out and I don't remember it looking like that on my display. Also, I think you can tell that the compression is horrible. A lot of those details are gone. But of course, there is a possibility that the two top pics are bullshots.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Where did you get those two bottom pics? If you captured it from your display, are you sure your display is calibrated properly? It looks oddly washed out and I don't remember it looking like that on my display. Also, I think you can tell that the compression is horrible. A lot of those details are gone. But of course, there is a possibility that the two top pics are bullshots.
Err, when you capture a screenshot, it doesn't matter what your display settings are, they are not captured along with it. Captures are of the rendered file, not displayed file.
Having said that, I think the top ones are actually in-game. Games display at insane bitrates, that Gamersyde video is likely a fraction of the raw bitrate.

Javin98

Banned
Err, when you capture a screenshot, it doesn't matter what your display settings are, they are not captured along with it.
LOL, my bad. I didn't know that. I don't capture screenshots much, so I apologize for assuming.

Anyway, even the extended Gamersyde video had color issues. Could this be the reason for the disparity?

There's an issue with the way the Uncharted 4 videos are being captured which is why those bottom shots look off and have that green tint. Once color-corrected, they should look like the top shots. It's not the game itself, just the way Sony/Naughty Dog are capturing video. And yes, there's a decent amount of compression even in that Gamersyde footage.

etta

my hard graphic balls
LOL, my bad. I didn't know that. I don't capture screenshots much, so I apologize for assuming.

Anyway, even the extended Gamersyde video had color issues. Could this be the reason for the disparity?

Read my edit above. I remeber capturing BF4 on PC in raw, and its bitrate was insane, like 90-100 Mbps, and a 2-3 minute file was 4-5 GB. The gamersyde video is likely 10-15 Mbps, meaning probably ~1/8th of the raw bitrate, so that's why it looks so blurry.

Actually, looking at the hair differences, I'm not so sure anymore, they might be bullshots. Aside from the color difference, the only other difference between the two sets is detail sharpness which is lost due to bitrate. However, the hair looks like it is of decreased detail that has more to do with than bitrate detail. Hmmmmm

stryke

http://bignoobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Uncharted-4_drake-looking_1434429044.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/748010169629697965369dbfdc9oj.jpg/IMG]

[IMG]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/142797Uncharted41.png[/IG]

[IMG]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/307495Uncharted42.png[IMG]

Yes there is compression and it will be better in game, but I don't think it will top the quality of the two first pictures. So yes cut-scenes are probably in real time ([url]http://bignoobs.com/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-will-have-real-time-cut-scenes-and-level-up-animation/[/url]) but they don't look as good as we can think.[/QUOTE]

The top pics are indeed bullshots. Improved shadows, no dithering on the hair. I'm not quite sure but I think it's still 1080p as their the higher quality AA missed a small bit.

pottuvoi

Banned
They could add a dynamic light source for that event, sure. But it wouldn't make it Realtime GI.

AFAIK the only games on consoles which are known to use realtime GI are the Tomorrow Children and FFXV.
There are some that have at least limited GI on top of baked light, like Alien Isolation which has very nice bounce light on flashlight. (TLoU had less nice in some scenes as well.)

psn

I wanted to skip the extended footage but dayum it looks amazing.. So many amazing details..

jett

D-Member

Compression doesn't add noticeable jaggies and dithered shadows. They're just bullshots, it's not a big deal.

Javin98

Banned
Compression doesn't add noticeable jaggies and dithered shadows. They're just bullshots, it's not a big deal.
Yeah, just noticed those dithered shadows. Looks like these are bullshots. Still if I didn't look closely, I wouldn't have seen much of a difference. Aside from the color and compression, of course.

MGrant

Looks great; kudos to the programmers and artists at ND. Only addition I can see that is needed is more water physics/shaders when they're driving through it. Otherwise, it's one of the best looking games I've seen.

Metfanant

I maintain it isn't able to mimic the level of illumination/luminescence in that region. Never questioned the set. Just the lighting.

all he did was point out what might be a minor and ultimately inconsequential inconsistency he observed with the depiction of a real life location he's familiar with. is it that big a deal?

because there is no such thing as a luminescence of a region on Earth...its completely dependent on atmospheric conditions at any given time...

if i mad a game set on Mount Everest...which would be the PROPER look?

or

what is the proper way to depict London?

like this?

or like this?

Top Bottom