• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dinosaurs Are Ten Million Years Older Than Previously Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenga said:
mammals = wii
smaller reptiles = 360

man those idiot mammals are so kiddy

don't get me started on those little bitch reptiles, they're basically us MASTER RACE dinosaurs but smaller
On one sad day, the little reptiles looked up on the sky. They saw 3 small red lights.

Asteroids was coming to XBLA

Monocle said:
I wish that image included a date. I'm trying to figure out if it depicts the Clawed One before or after the Righteous Raptor Rave of the Latter Cretaceous.

It is afterward, as you can see in the documentary. Raptor Jesus is a bit chunky in The Righteous Rave, but in the Latter Cretaceous burden has set upon him forcing his fasting.

Brashnir said:
All it takes is one moron fucking a bull, and then BAM. Labyrinths everywhere.

Then we'll have to give seven of our top unwed women away. DAAAAAMMMN!
Slim pickins'

Monocle

AFreak said:
Anyone have a link to the why we still got monkeys thread? I was not around at the time methinks.
Sure.

ChubbyHuggs said:
It is afterward, as you can see in the documentary. Raptor Jesus is a bit chunky in The Righteous Rave, but in the Latter Cretaceous burden has set upon him forcing his fasting.
I see! Certainly you are far more knowledgeable than I in paleotheological matters.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Phaethon0017 said:
Do you think dinosaurs had a GAF? If they did it'd been called DinoGAF, and I would've been called Phaethonasaurus. Cool.
Why would it be called DinoGAF? It's not like this forum is called HumanGAF.

Mael

Monocle said:

Well that explains the whole 'why we still got monkeys?' at least!
I had to resist with every fiber of my being to not revive the zombie thread!
I always find it hilarious that people try to find proof in faith, I mean if you have proof it's no longer faith, right?

And Anyway it wouldn't be DinoGaf it would be Daf

Rapstah

wenis said:
12163o2.jpg

LIES!
Yeah! More like...

sowubq.jpg

... with this new research!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
methane47 said:
Can someone please explain to me how Scientists are able to determine the age of [such an old] fossil?

thanks
find a radioactive rock below the sample.
find one above the sample.

date both, pick a middlish number.

they probably just did this one stratigraphically though.

methane47

Pandaman said:
find a radioactive rock below the sample.
find one above the sample.

date both, pick a middlish number.

they probably just did this one stratigraphically though.

How much radiation would a Rock need in order for its half life to sustain it to an amount that is large enough to be detected 75 million years later?

ronito

See? Science can't even pin the age of the dinosaurs. 10 Million years difference? What's next? 10 Bazillion years?! When will people learn to just read the bible.

cnizzle06

Banned
Psh, I'd expect nothing less from these pompous lab coat-wearing fools.

Can't keep your lies consistent can ya science!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
methane47 said:
How much radiation would a Rock need in order for its half life to sustain it to an amount that is large enough to be detected 75 million years later?
well, not radioactive in the glowing fluorescent green sense, just a radioactive isotope with a longish halftime will do.

40K is popular for its abundance as a naturally occurring radioactive isotope of potassium that decays directly into a stable inert gas [argon] and has a long halflife [over a billion years], so as long as you have enough potassium and enough decay time so as to provide a measurable K/Ar ratio, you can determine to age of a sample to within a few million years.

Pandaman said:
well, not radioactive in the glowing fluorescent green sense, just a radioactive isotope with a longish halftime will do.

40K is popular for its abundance as a naturally occurring radioactive isotope of potassium that decays directly into a stable inert gas [argon] and has a long halflife [over a billion years], so as long as you have enough potassium and enough decay time so as to provide a measurable K/Ar ratio, you can determine to age of a sample to within a few million years.

This has me wondering: what % of the general public was actually taught about radioactive half-life and carbon dating and the like?

<raisesHand/>

Not that I remember most of it (just the principles), but I learned it in honors chem. junior year in HS.

I wonder to what degree a general lack of understanding of some of the ancillary science around the study of fossils affects the public's understanding or acceptance of Evolution.

Phaethon0017 said:
If DinoGAF had a "The Contest" a T-Rex would win every damn time, so that might rule out this theory... Unless of course the T-Rex had the longest penis of any land based predator, which judging by how angry it was probably isn't the case.

Long penis, but oh so short hands leads to a lot of frustration.

lmao, my name would be bdizzlesaurus. i like that

Socreges said:
How is "raises no questions as to the authenticity of evolution" at all ambiguous? I think you just missed the word "no". To be fair, it is quite small. Only two letters and everything, while having a habit of completely changing the meaning of a sentence. I think it should be changed to at least two or three syllables.

Nah, this thread is some kind of exemplar. These threads (related to dinosaurs/evolution) used to actually have discussions about the topic (in addition to some joke posts obviously). Or die an early death. But the evolution/creationism/intelligent design bullshit has blown up here and is pretty much inescapable. I'm not complaining. Just making an observation.

lmao this is gaf man. People make fun of everything. Stop takin shit personal

ChubbyHuggs said:
I wonder if Raptor Jesus walked among them...

why yes, yes he did

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
CharlieDigital said:
This has me wondering: what % of the general public was actually taught about radioactive half-life and carbon dating and the like?

<raisesHand/>

Not that I remember most of it (just the principles), but I learned it in honors chem. junior year in HS.

I wonder to what degree a general lack of understanding of some of the ancillary science around the study of fossils affects the public's understanding or acceptance of Evolution.
i wasn't taught any of it until college, but i knew of it anyway due to my natural nerdish tendencies.

its such a shame because its so damn interesting too.

sammy

Socreges said:
[edit] Weird seeing how 'distantly' related pterodactyls are to dinosaurs

Pterosaurs are endlessly fascinating, true they weren't dinosaurs at all but their own evolutionary order branching directly from reptiles (the evidence mostly being in their jaw structure, an extra piece that only reptiles posses) so they weren't descended from proto-mammals and reptile-like mammals like we and dinosaurs are. edit: wrong 'bout that, we're descended from reptile-like mammals, dinos from archosaurs

not only that, but they were the very first vertebrates to fly right after the arthropods and achieved this in their own unique design. their pinky-finger evolved to a mega-finger supporting a membrane of MUSCLE layers in their wing, so they could bend and warp the shape achieving a method of flight we remain very ignorant of. embryonic evidence show full development of everything they'd need to fly from hatchlings, and we find fossilized hatchlings scattered about everywhere and over ancient seas like these little guys (like turtles) sprang from their "nest" into the wild. if they did this close after hatching, it would be a unique aviary characteristic lost in evolution that no biology does today accept insects sometimes.

think their strange yet??? well, they even had their own evolutionary design for a kind of fur or hair in a thin layer over their body.

I'm lucky enough to live walking distance to many pterosaur fossiles and a full skeleton of the Quetzalcoatlus .. which is possibly the most baddass creature to ever exist

Dyno

sammy said:
Pterosaurs are endlessly fascinating, true they weren't dinosaurs at all but their own evolutionary order branching directly from reptiles (the evidence mostly being in their jaw structure, an extra piece that only reptiles posses) so they weren't descended from proto-mammals and reptile-like mammals like we and dinosaurs are.

not only that, but they were the very first vertebrates to fly right after the arthropods and achieved this in their own unique design. their pinky-finger evolved to a mega-finger supporting a membrane of MUSCLE layers in their wing, so they could bend and warp the shape achieving a method of flight we remain very ignorant of. embryonic evidence show full development of everything they'd need to fly from hatchlings, and we find fossilized hatchlings scattered about everywhere and over ancient seas like these little guys (like turtles) sprang from their "nest" into the wild. if they did this close after hatching, it would be a unique aviary characteristic lost in evolution that no biology does today accept insects sometimes.

think their strange yet??? well, they even had their own evolutionary design for a kind of fur or hair in a thin layer over their body.

I'm lucky enough to live walking distance to many pterosaur fossiles and a full skeleton of the Quetzalcoatlus .. which is possibly the most baddass creature to ever exist

Fascinating! Any links or more info?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
what's with this "accepting evolution = atheist" concept from some on this forum?

how many times must i remind you people

dinosaurs didn't go extinct, look out your window right now and you're likely to see some in a tree or on the sidewalk

seriously there are living dinosaurs all over the planet right now how cool is that

sammy

EmCeeGramr said:
how many times must i remind you people

dinosaurs didn't go extinct, look out your window right now and you're likely to see some in a tree or on the sidewalk

seriously there are living dinosaurs all over the planet right now how cool is that

it's batshit fucking coooool !!! :D

a good friend of mine is a falconer and mostly trains red tailed hawks, but he attracts lots of paleontologist from around Texas that go out to observe him and his little dino do some hunting.
the coolest postulation they end up discussing usually is the idea that if modern birds can be easily conditioned for domestication and hunting, would a raptor or any other theropod for that matter have been the same ?? *visions of conditioned T-Rex's out hunting with their human master*

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
levious said:
sorry...

certainly not just him though.
he was commenting on the posters poking fun at creationism.

thats not associating atheism with evolution, thats associating mocking creationism with atheism and thats just wrong. i know many theists who enjoy a good ol' YEC bashing.

gunther

sammy said:
it's batshit fucking coooool !!! :D

a good friend of mine is a falconer and mostly trains red tailed hawks, but he attracts lots of paleontologist from around Texas that go out to observe him and his little dino do some hunting.
the coolest postulation they end up discussing usually is the idea that if modern birds can be easily conditioned for domestication and hunting, would a raptor or any other theropod for that matter have been the same ?? *visions of conditioned T-Rex's out hunting with their human master*

you mean taht, i could have a velociraptor insted of my stupids brothers cats (I hate cats), Cool. Imagine going to work riding a velocyraptor AWESOME.

gunther said:
you mean taht, i could have a velociraptor insted of my stupids brothers cats (I hate cats), Cool. Imagine going to work riding a velocyraptor AWESOME.

10x cooler if you attach lasers to their heads. :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
gunther said:
you'd kill the poor thing.
2qso4z8.png

Clydefrog

that would SUCK if you thought you were 40 years old and someone found out you were actually ten million forty years old :(

CharlieDigital said:
I was taught that in 8th and then in high school. Although I kinda pushed it out of my mind as something I would never use.

brianjones said:
http://i50.tinypic.com/235xf7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Should have posted in the Dark Tower thread. :p

sammy

ChubbyHuggs said:
I was taught that in 8th and then in high school. Although I kinda pushed it out of my mind as something I would never use.

I grew up in Alabama, and my school skimmed over it quickly (7th grade, early 90's) and outside of the context of any chemistry ---- only to move on a few weeks later to the science behind Moses parting the waters............... NOT JOKING,
this was public education as well

I've become quite the autodidact ever since I escaped my public-education holocaust

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Pandaman said:
he was commenting on the posters poking fun at creationism.

thats not associating atheism with evolution, thats associating mocking creationism with atheism and thats just wrong. i know many theists who enjoy a good ol' YEC bashing.

three comments were about evolution, one was about the age of the earth... not sure if you're trying to argue something, but ok. My question would be the same if it was only comments on creationism.

methane47

CharlieDigital said:

<raisesHand/>

Well I was taught Carbon dating in maybe 2nd Form.. which is == to 8-9th grade
But I was taught Carbon Dating has upper and lower bounds defining its usefulnesss.. Certainly no where Even in the same vicinity as 10 million years... Which is why i asked how they know the age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom