• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disability-Age

Yen

And I thought my eyesight was bad (-8.5 right, -10 left)! Well, my eyesight is bad. But yours is way worse. That stinks. Is there any particular reason why your vision is so poor? I feel like mine has been getting worse lately, even though the optometrist told me it hadn't changed. But text has become difficult enough to read that I now work wearing my glasses instead of contacts (supposed to be better for astigmatism).
It's to do with Marfans. In non-medical terms, the muscle in my eyes is too weak to hold up the lens properly.
Eh, I would say it's not too bad but then I don't know any better!
Edit: just noticed I said in my original post I can't read with my left eye. Mistake: my left is fine, it's the right I can't read with/don't use. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't read!

RawPower

Banned
That's great. I was doing fine until I had a heart attack two weeks ago. :\ Had two stents put in but that was just an emergency patch.
Next month I'm going to travel to see a cardiologist who specializes in ToF to see if there is anything that can be done to improve the current situation.

Damn son, that's terrible.

Feel better, bro. <3

Nice thread. Have had Crohns disease since I was 16, and have had my whole large bowel removed, large portion of my small removed, too.

Now 25 and my health started to deteriorate last year with me spending 6 months in hospital for them to find out I have nutritional failure resulting in Parental Feeding at home.

So, now I hook myself up to a machine for 4 days a week for 16 hours a day. Having a two year old and a six mouth old baby can make it hard, but I have an amazing wife.

Damn you human body!!!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I hate how most centers think "oh, you're deaf? How about a janitor job" when you use their services for job stuff. It's absolutely insulting to me.

Alchemy

Damn I don't have anything as bad as anyone else here, just type one diabetes and Celiac disease (can't eat gluten at all). On one hand I can be perfectly fine if I manage it correctly, but on the other hand I fucking hate everything to do with food now.

Also now I'm super crazy paranoid about Brain Zaps, because I know exactly what they are from their basic description and I've had them off and on since I was a kid but I've never taken anti depressants before so I have no idea what is going on.

TGMIII

I had an eye test last week. -24 left eye, -32 right eye. Lazy eye/squint. Pretty much don't use my right eye. I can't read with the right eye even with my glasses.
Can just about force myself into seeing the 3D on my 3DS at the expense of a headache. I play with 3D off because of this (and because 3D is a fad that needs to die :p).

I'm in the same boat as you only I dont have any vision at all in my right eye. It's funny how some ask how I mange to cope with it and I just tell them to cover one eye for 5 minutes and walk around. It's not THAT much different to me but then again I've been like this from birth. I keep meaning to have the eye straightened out since I find it awkward talking to people eye to eye but I'm not fond of the idea of going under for surgery.

faridmon

I have walking disability for 5 years know. My knee have damaged and I have to around with crouches.

Football is dangerous fella.

fourteetwo

Neo Member
Thanks to the military I have pretty bad PTSD, sciatica that will flare up anytime it wants to keep me from walking, very bad knees that pop all the time, arthritis, back and shoulder problems. It sucks. But I did file for disability with the VA. Let's see where it goes. I should know something about approval after about 18 months. So maybe another year of waiting to know. But I will get back paid when it does get approved.

RawPower

Banned
It's been a while since I posted in here. I had trouble making it through even the most rudimentary and mundane conversations last night. Maybe I need better medicine.

Peripheral Nerve Hypersensitivity (PNH) here. Basically means my nerves get irritated very easily. I used to be extremely active and was in the gym everyday. Then, about a year ago, my nerves just started going haywire. It started in my arms and hands and eventually made it through the rest of my body. Id actually be ok for the most part if I just sat on the couch all day and did nothing, but that ain't my style.

squall211

I was born with a condtion called Moebius Syndrome. I have what is considered a very mild form of it, but because of this condition I have permanent partial facial paralysis and nerve damage to a couple of facial nerves. This means I am unable to make very many facial expressions and have an odd way of speaking when I talk. It makes it very difficult to connect with people. I'm very friendly, but as a result of this condition I'm also very anti-social and get extremely anxious/nervous when I have to be in a room with a large group of people that I don't know. Even though it's a physical condition, I've never thought of myself as physically disabled, but socially it's a very crippling thing to cope with.

ksdixon

Weeeell, this Welfare Reform here in the UK is a bitch, isn't it?

Turns out that despite my numerous disabilites, despite the claim for benefit being in my name only, despite being medically signed-off from having to work by my doctor, despite the fact that I am still looking for work regardless of all of that but places are turning me away due to disabilities/lack of prior experience.... I cannot claim any benefits due to my fiance working over 24 hours a week. She cannot claim Working Tax Credits due to not being 25 years old yet.

Boy I wish I was a teenage girl who can't keep her legs closed, or that I wasn't originally a British Citizen, then I'd get all the handouts.

RawPower

Banned

Turns out that despite my numerous disabilites, despite the claim for benefit being in my name only, despite being medically signed-off from having to work by my doctor, despite the fact that I am still looking for work regardless of all of that but places are turning me away due to disabilities/lack of prior experience.... I cannot claim any benefits due to my fiance working over 24 hours a week. She cannot claim Working Tax Credits due to not being 25 years old yet.

Boy I wish I was a teenage girl who can't keep her legs closed, or that I wasn't originally a British Citizen, then I'd get all the handouts.

That's a pretty shit situation, I must say. I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for my SSI funds.

Do they not do sheltered disability placements anymore? Helped a lot for me when I was looking. Might be worth asking at the job centre about help with disabilites etc.

Good luck

Top Bottom