• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

I've listened to "Let It Go" 38-40 times in a row if my calculations are correct.

The Menzel version, obviously. I really need to see this flippin' movie.

Edit: Also, this song is magic, I think. I was only scoring 56% on my online test about half way through it (they update you along the way). Kicked this song on, and my last half was 94%. Woo Frozen!

The scene in the movie is pretty fantastic.

Atlagev

I enjoyed this movie, but some things that bring it down a notch for me were:

Hans' heel turn. Happened *way* too late in the movie for me to buy it. The best villains have motives you can kind of understand from their perspective, but Hans had no hook, no exposition, and everything had to kind of happen perfectly for his plan to be realized.

(What *was* his plan, anyway? Go to Arendelle and hope to find a desperate princess to marry? What would even give him the idea that such a person existed in Arendelle?)

Also, why did he go to save Anna? Why did he stop Elsa from killing those two henchmen from Weselton when he planned on killing her anyway? Just way too simple a villain by modern Disney standards.

Also, the songs, while pretty good, just didn't match up to the songs in Tangled. My favorite song, Love is an Open Door, had a really catchy hook, but was way too short. I couldn't remember the melody for any of the songs after I left the theater.

Overall, pretty good, but just not as good as Tangled or Wreck-It Ralph.

What a nice little surprise I got this morning:

Fodib68.jpg

I'm happy for you and all, Tricky. But whilst I stopped myself half-way through your quoted post, I was still just spoiled on the ending sequence.

Gartooth

This is the worst part about being single, I want to see this movie so bad!! Might have to wait for the Blu-ray release because I'm having trouble convincing friends to possibly see this movie. (all the girls went to go see Catching Fire...)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I enjoyed this movie, but some things that bring it down a notch for me were:

Also, why did he go to save Anna? Why did he stop Elsa from killing those two henchmen from Weselton when he planned on killing her anyway? Just way too simple a villain by modern Disney standards.
More than that...
Why didn't he let them kill Elsa and be the hero who brings her killers in?

Hans being evil was a huge misstep. They totally forgot they had Tudyk's character there to be the evil one. Have him be in control of the city with Hans returns and have Hans work to save Elsa. Even without a romance angle, you could have Hans be one of the Heroes and return to his land with a new trading contract that takes over for Tudyk's character.

I'm happy for you and all, Tricky. But whilst I stopped myself half-way through your quoted post, I was still just spoiled on the ending sequence.
It's not the ending sequence.
More than that...

Hans being evil was a huge misstep. They totally forgot they had Tudyk's character there to be the evil one. Have him be in control of the city with Hans returns and have Hans work to save Elsa. Even without a romance angle, you could have Hans be one of the Heroes and return to his land with a new trading contract that takes over for Tudyk's character.
Hans being evil wasn't so much of a misstep as it was half-baked. Duke (Tudyk's character) was obviously a red hearing to distract from Hans.

To speak on the trope subversion in the film. It's nice that the film ended without
Anna getting married, but this is hardly the first film in the Disney canon to do so. Mulan instantly comes to mind. She kisses Kristoff, which might as well be sex in the realm of Disney, despite not knowing him that well either. Kristoff being the one to point out to Anna that her engagement to Hans was premature really rubbed me the wrong way, along with the way he derided her.
In the end Anna didn't really learn anything.

meow

More than that...

I read a bunch of stuff on the wiki (or maybe I read it on this thread, it's all blending together) and I don't know how much of this is what Disney intended vs. something someone just came up with, but
it said he needed Elsa alive to stop the winter first (of course, I don't see why he decided later on that killing her would stop the winter, in that case) and he went in search of Anna because he needed to marry her first. Until he found out he could get the kingdom without marrying her. And they purposely gave him the love song so people would love him at first and to make the betrayal more effective. It didn't work on me, I just ended up not liking it.

Either way, I totally agree with the sentiment that they didn't need a villain in this movie. Hans was the most disappointing part of the movie for me.

Leeness

I read a bunch of stuff on the wiki (or maybe I read it on this thread, it's all blending together) and I don't know how much of this is what Disney intended vs. something someone just came up with, but
it said he needed Elsa alive to stop the winter first (of course, I don't see why he decided later on that killing her would stop the winter, in that case) and he went in search of Anna because he needed to marry her first. Until he found out he could get the kingdom without marrying her. And they purposely gave him the love song so people would love him at first and to make the betrayal more effective. It didn't work on me, I just ended up not liking it.

Either way, I totally agree with the sentiment that they didn't need a villain in this movie. Hans was the most disappointing part of the movie for me.

It worked on a couple of girls sitting in front of me the first time I saw it. They GASPED and one was like "but he's so cute!"

Lmao.

My sister called it though, after Love is an Open Door, she turned to me and said "he's too nice, he's gonna die or be evil, isn't he?"

Nelo Ice

Banned
Second reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1fLNAWlaks

COULD have been inadvertent, but it seems...unlikely.

That one flew right by me until I read your post. Looked it up and found an article about the AD references.

Which 3D did you see it in? I saw it in 'Real 3D" and I thought it was crap. Figure IMAX 3D or the other one would have been better.

Think I saw it in Real 3D or whatever the regular 3D was. I enjoyed the added depth. Movie was probably great in 2D but I had no qualms about the 3D. And of course it was especially worth it for the short.

Don’t worry about it, that quote is kinda taken out of context from a larger post I made earlier in this thread. You've got nothing to worry about at all.

meow

It worked on a couple of girls sitting in front of me the first time I saw it. They GASPED and one was like "but he's so cute!"

Lmao.

My sister called it though, after Love is an Open Door, she turned to me and said "he's too nice, he's gonna die or be evil, isn't he?"

Haha ok, I guess I should say it "worked" because
I actually didn't see it coming. I guess what I mean is that it seemed unnecessary. Making him the bad guy just so you could have a bad guy...I was just so disappointed! Argh, haha!

Satchel

Banned
If this is anywhere near as good as Tangled, I'm in.

Tangled is comfortably in Disney's all time Top 3 for anyone willing to admit it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah he
didn't want to kill Elsa first because of the winter, and he needs Anna alive to be married, and when she was dying, used it as a means to move forward.

I'd still argue that Mulan isn't originally a princess movie by virtue of not counting as one until the PR made it so.

Did Amirnol post in the thread? If not, maybe he intended to keep some anonymity on the subject, by using a private message? Just guessing though. :p

I'm guessing he/she didn't want to toot their own horn, and that's more than fine. Either way, the cat's out of the bag now. So, amazing job, Amirnol! I'm going to see the movie for the 3rd time either tomorrow or Thursday.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just got back.

What a fantastic movie. Really. I wasn't expecting a lot, but yeah. One of Disney's all time best. It's up there with my favorite animated movies

Just got back.

What a fantastic movie. Really. I wasn't expecting a lot, but yeah. One of Disney's all time best. It's up there with my favorite animated movies

Yeah, It's certainly great. It's top 10 territory for me, maybe even top 5. My favorites now are Aladdin, Emperor's New Groove, Beauty and the Beast, hard to place anything after that as I enjoy so many others (Hercules, Pocahontas, Mulan)

Without spoiling anything, how is the movie in 3D? Worth seeing it, or should I stick to 2D?

Saw it in "Real 3D" and to me it felt tacked on. Only during two big parts of the movie was it ever decent. Saw it once with and without.

Some others liked it, depends how you feel about 3D. A movie like "Gravity" is one of the best 3D experiences I had. Just for Frozen, it seemed to be along for the ride and wasn't very interesting.

If you have an IMAX 3D option, that could be better.

As good as tangled? damn, I must see this

At this point, I can say, yeah. it's definitely at least as good. and I love Tangled.

Yeah, I believe he posted in here before the movie came out, mentioning that he had worked on it.

Yeah, he did indeed. I don't think he cares to remain anonymous since he told everyone a while ago that he worked on the movie. Here's the post he made from the previous Frozen thread on GAF:

Hey everyone. I worked on this film. Very proud of how it turned out. Glad to see positive reviews showing up after the trailers sorely misrepresented the film. Hope you all go see it and enjoy it!

Prax

This is the worst part about being single, I want to see this movie so bad!! Might have to wait for the Blu-ray release because I'm having trouble convincing friends to possibly see this movie. (all the girls went to go see Catching Fire...)

You could have just went alone!

I watched Catching Fire the same day and liked Catching fire better. xD Dunno what that says about Frozen when I usually like animated movies way more than live action and I am generally a sucker for Disney musicals.

I think Anna just felt like a shallower Rapunzel character-wise, and I don't even think she had much character, to be honest. (I actually imagine males would like her more than females would lol). Elsa was the more interesting character but was woefully underdeveloped. I think a "Thawed" mid-quel or whatever of her growing up locked up, maybe even staring out a window pining for company with Anna or even some servant dude, in her point of view would be really cool. Basically, Anna felt like side-character material and I had to watch a whole movie with her bleh. lol

I will definitely have to own the movie and rewatch it again, but I didn't notice anything spectacular animation-wise in regards to facial features and such. :I Can someone screencap and point out these amazing subtleties?

Prax

I've never gone to a movie alone, probably because one of my favorite parts of the theater experience is walking out with others toward the end and talking about how awesome/shit the movie is, the plot, different moments, etc.

Yeah, I get that point. It's fun to comment about dumb things while the movie is going on (was watching with my sibs). But if you wanna watch something, just go watch! You can always text people or post of gaf about it after the movie's done too. XD

Lyonaz

People have problem watching movies alone?

Weird right.

When I go alone it's usually in the morning, first showing of the day and usually it's pretty empty, so I can pick the best seat and enjoy the movie in complete silence. Gravity for the second time in IMAX 3D that way was amazing!

Just go alone, nothing wrong with that.

qindarka

Banned
In regards to the previous discussion
about Hans, did anyone notice if he glanced at the chandelier before misdirecting the crossbow shot? I've been hearing that that is the case, and if so, would indicate that he intended for Elsa to die there, framed as an unfortunate accident.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Any idea what the shorts would be based on this? I hope it's not a retread of Tangled's wedding short.

I've never gone to a movie alone, probably because one of my favorite parts of the theater experience is walking out with others toward the end and talking about how awesome/shit the movie is, the plot, different moments, etc.

I understand... I guess posting on GAF as soon as I arrive home sorta remedies that for me.

In regards to the previous discussion
about Hans, did anyone notice if he glanced at the chandelier before misdirecting the crossbow shot? I've been hearing that that is the case, and if so, would indicate that he intended for Elsa to die there, framed as an unfortunate accident.

I specifically payed close attention during that scene since I heard some people say it was
intentional while others said it was a last minute rush to save her.
I remember the scene clearly, and from my point of view it was
a plan to kill her and make it look like an accident. If you watch closely seconds before he nudges the crossbow his eyes glance at the chandelier for like half a second. Also.....he doesn't just rush in and push the guy with the crossbow. He actually grabs it and guides it up while the other guy is still holding it. On a related note - the audience I saw the movie with collectively gave off a loud gasp when the chandelier started to fall. Once the arrow hits it the music completely cuts off and all you hear is Elsa’s gasp and then the sound of it shattering on the floor.
Really great scene!

Mondy

Banned
I just finished watching it.

Let me get the one negative I have out of the way first: The story, while solid, is typical Disney cliche.
"Love thaws...". That is very typical of Disney and in a lot of ways, a deus ex machina. Elsa suddenly gets control of her power because of love and reverses all the damage. It works but it just felt sort of lazy.

Otherwise, it was fantastic. The music was phenomenal, the animations were some of the best ever
(Elsa building her Ice Castle on the Mountain to "Let it Go", WOW.)
and the characters were likeable. I like how it openly mocked the Disney trope of love at first sight as well. It was very self aware and was all the better for it.

Up there with Lion King and Beauty and the Beast? Eh, maybe not, but still Disney's best effort in years. It surpassed Tangled but only barely.

It's quite incredible how Disney can always manage to put that one scene in their film that will inevitably leave jaws dislocated as well:

Lion King - Circle of Life/The Stampede
Beauty and the Beast - The Ballroom
Aladdin - A whole New World/Genie's debut
Hunchback - Bells of Notre Dame/Hellfire/The Battle of Notre Dame
Tangled - The lanterns/I See the Light
Frozen -
Elsa's Ice Castle/Let it Go

So many amazing scenes.

Listening to some of the deleted songs, specifically life is too short, I'm happy with how things turned out in the movie although the reprise would have been a nice song to have in the 2nd half of the movie.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Wreck-it Ralph was mediocre yet fun as a whole, Tangled is lackluster in the writing department with a meandering script but this movie was pitch-perfect to me overall.

I really, really loved it. Surprised by how much I did, honestly. Love Is An Open Door is easily my new favorite Disney track and I'm not sure it's even close to top 3 songs in the movie.

Any idea what the shorts would be based on this? I hope it's not a retread of Tangled's wedding short.

I'm honestly hoping it has to do with the rocks, if they DO make a short. I've listened to "Fixer Upper" more than any other song over the past two days and I realized that I love it so much because it totally feels like a Fraggle song. I'd love to see more of them.

qindarka

Banned
I'm honestly hoping it has to do with the rocks, if they DO make a short. I've listened to "Fixer Upper" more than any other song over the past two days and I realized that I love it so much because it totally feels like a Fraggle song. I'd love to see more of them.

Have you watched the film yet?

Samara

Man, it's amazing how much better the French posters for both this and Tangled are:

I talked to some girls this morning and I didnt know the name of the movie, I was surprised that it wasnt "princess of winter" but queen. I likes that. Ive seen some reviews and the movie looks good. Ill probably check it out next week with my ma.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Been listening to the soundtrack all day at work today. God damnit, it's good...

Also, I didn't say before, but the Disney short before the movie was awesome.

I think I'll give it another try this weekend. How's the 3D? I might see it in 3D just for "Get a Horse!" but I'm interested to know if it's any good in the feature.

I might warm to it slightly, but I don't expect to completely change my mind on it. Its narrative flaws are too glaring, IMO.

Top Bottom