• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney bans grieving father from having Spider-Man on son’s grave

Hissing Sid

‘When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you’

Ps. Not legally binding.

Pagusas

Elden Member
While Disney is being a dick about this i still don't know why a Spiderman tombstone was so necessary? These things (toys, balloons, colorful themed stuff) are supposed to make kids feel better while in the hospital. There they make sense and if Disney didn't allow, say, a Spiderman cosplayer to cheer up the kid i would be furious.

But the kid is dead now, he is not going to enjoy the presence or be upset about the absence of his favorite hero.

Death and grieving are emotional things for those left behind, not logical things. Don’t try to tell people to be logical with grief and mourning, it will make you look like a supreme asshole.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Oddly enough Jesus or God or the myriad of religious figures are not copyrighted and you won’t be sued by the church for putting a cross of something in your religious ceremony.

A funeral is a social ritual, it is not just for the people involved, but for their friends and family. Same with weddings it’s as much about giving your religious aunt a good experience as it is about fulfilling your ego.

Themed funeral is fine but carving this corporate nonesens onto a tombstone for all time is very stupid. What a dumb fucking culture we live in.

"His dad Lloyd Jones asked the council for permission to get an etching of Spider-Man on Ollie’s gravestone as he wanted the image to remind him of his son"

Who the fuck are you, or we, to decide what a family would like to put on a tombstone to remember a loved one. Get off your high horse.

Sorcerer

Although this sucks, the upside is that at least the gravestone won't be vandalized by asshats. While a nice idea it's more heartbreaking to think of what is going to happen to that gravestone in three months, not making the effort worth it.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I think it would have been better to get a Spiderman toy or plushie, photo with the kid, comic or whatever and put it next to the grave

Whitesnake

Banned
Someone mentioned this on twitter that I didn’t think about, the Disney guy said that they don’t want their character “associated with death”.

Peter Parker became Spider-Man because he felt responsible for uncle Ben’s death. Peter’s greatest piece of character development (and a scene which was a turning point for comics in general) is when he failed to save Gwen Stacey and she died. He killed both Green Goblin and the burglar who killed Ben. In the Sam Reimi movies, every villain dies a definitive, explicit death. Hell, Spider-Man himself died in Avengers: Infinity War. Plus there’s so many alternate universe and timelines where people die like when Peter’s radioactive Spider-Jizz killed Mary Jane (that’s real, look it up) or when Aunt May is killed by a sniper.

Death is intrinsic to this character’s past.

I kinda get why they may not want to be associated with a kid’s grave, it is kinda weird, but they are the biggest entertainment corporation in the world who will lose nothing by doing this thing that would make a family very happy.

You can claim copyright law is the reason, and I’m not knowledgeable enough on the subject to truly dispute that. But I’m not sure if Disney sues some actual plagiarists and the plagiarists say “well they turned a blind eye to some funerals” that the judge is just gonna throw out any other rules and say “you’re right man, fuck copyrights, Spider-Man belongs to everyone now”. Again, I’m not knowledgeable enough on the matter, so maybe that really is how it works, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Who the fuck are you, or we, to decide what a family would like to put on a tombstone to remember a loved one. Get off your high horse.
lol you realize he literally is being stopped from putting this on a tombstone because it is copyrighted. like, you are defending the exact thing you are calling me out for lol. im not the one who forced Disney to be dicks about IP. they are. precisely because of the character involved.

if you want to use folk culture and religious things that are global and have been in use for thousands of years and are not owned by any single corporation, you won't run into IP issues. it's called not being an idiot.

that this guy needs a corporate mascot to remind him of his own son is his issue.

Last edited:
There is a dead child inside all of us.

tenor.gif

Ol'Scratch

I would think that as a one of a kind thing it would be stolen in record time, or at least kind of just be rather distracting in a cemetery situation. Wouldn't it be more sentimental to bury the kid with his favorite Spidey books or figures or something? I mean at the end of the day it is the family's thing but I can see that once that door opens every nerd out there would be wanting a Deadpool tombstone

I stand corrected, his grave stone looks good too. I wonder why this was approved.

Most likely due to the fact the people who made that decision have hearts.

While Disney is being a dick about this i still don't know why a Spiderman tombstone was so necessary? These things (toys, balloons, colorful themed stuff) are supposed to make kids feel better while in the hospital. There they make sense and if Disney didn't allow, say, a Spiderman cosplayer to cheer up the kid i would be furious.

But the kid is dead now, he is not going to enjoy the presence or be upset about the absence of his favorite hero.

And what if the son asked the father for it? At the very least he knows his son loves Spiderman.

Its called integrity. I hope for the sake of whatever passes for your soul/conscience you get some yourself.

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
"His dad Lloyd Jones asked the council for permission to get an etching of Spider-Man on Ollie’s gravestone as he wanted the image to remind him of his son"

Exactly, I want a Nazi Swastika and a massive cock on mine, I cant believe the idiots who think a graveyard might have some duty to provide a dignified place for the families visiting. Fuck those insensitive people.

Spoiler ! This is the very definition of white privilege.

lock2k

Banned

I’ve never had to get a tombstone, do they always have to be approved by a committee?

In any case, this seems to be another example of Disney soullessly snuffing out anything that even hints at using their brand without giving them money, even something as small and harmless as this.

Kinda weird to put Spider-Man on a tombstone, but it’s just fucked up to subtly flex your legal muscle on the greiving parents to stop them from putting Spider-Man on a tombstone.

Spiderman is all over YouTube with those horryfing Elsagate videos and Disney does shit about it

One more time... fuck you Disney.

I would just do it without permission and call it a day. Or put ginger Ariel, since that character is also dead.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
The family was free to ask and Disney was free to decline. If I had a famous IP I wouldn’t want to set a precedent of grave-related licenses – over time it’d make for some strange associations.

That’s why I think this:

was a mistake. Bad precedent.

Losing a child is an unimaginable tragedy but it doesn’t mean you start getting things that others will never have. At least Disney made the gesture of a film cell.

I don’t like Disney much either these days, but I want to be a little fair to them here.

nocsi

Oddly enough Jesus or God or the myriad of religious figures are not copyrighted and you won’t be sued by the church for putting a cross of something in your religious ceremony.

A funeral is a social ritual, it is not just for the people involved, but for their friends and family. Same with weddings it’s as much about giving your religious aunt a good experience as it is about fulfilling your ego.

Themed funeral is fine but carving this corporate nonesens onto a tombstone for all time is very stupid. What a dumb fucking culture we live in.

The business of death in general is pretty dumb. People need to learn to just dump their loved one's body straight into the ocean to be reclaimed by the earth.

Iorv3th

I don't understand why you would want a spiderman tombstone in the first place. The kid is gone and never going to see it.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly, I want a Nazi Swastika and a massive cock on mine, I cant believe the idiots who think a graveyard might have some duty to provide a dignified place for the families visiting. Fuck those insensitive people.

Spoiler ! This is the very definition of white privilege.
First off, that was a reply to someone talking some rubbish about corporate culture blah blah blah. And your mix of an idiotic example and an attempt at sarcasm makes your argument (if that's what it is) mostly incomprehensible. What's a "graveyard's duty" got to do with Disney being assholes??
Secondly, YOU are a massive cock to go to that extreme as an example.

Lastly ... SPOILER... fuck off with your 'white privilege' bullshit.

why not an image of his son to remind him of his son

Silent Duck

“We have striven to preserve the same innocence and magic around our characters”

Explain Ultimatum.

fs0X9Dp.jpg

First, I feel horrible for what that family is going through. The loss of a son, daughter, nephew, or niece is one of the worst things I can imagine. My heart goes out them and I hope they find some small measure of closure.

That being said, if it was my son, I’m not sure I’d want a cartoon character as a permanent fixture on his tombstone. It would be awful to have Spongebob Squarepants smiling at me every time I went to visit his grave. No matter how big a fan he was of the character, it would seem... tacky.

But that’s just me. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Barnabot

I don't understand why you would want a spiderman tombstone in the first place. The kid is gone and never going to see it.
Because grieving parents would have done anything they could to hold on to any grasp of memory of their sons and daughters. Anything to honour them and and anything to show their appreciation to their kids.

Kids can be the most demanding creatures in this world because they demand you 24/7. But most of their demands are so simple to the point the biggest one is just their constant seeking of their parents love.

prag16

Banned
What "council" told them they needed to ask for Disney's permission? There's a council on gravestones in the UK or something?

That being said, if it was my son, I’m not sure I’d want a cartoon character as a permanent fixture on his tombstone. It would be awful to have Spongebob Squarepants smiling at me every time I went to visit his grave. No matter how big a fan he was of the character, it would seem... tacky.

The kid loved Spiderman. Give them a break for fuck's sake. Worrying about what's "tacky" of all things. And when looking at the all time pantheon of fictional characters, Spongebob and Spiderman aren't exactly comparable. Ridiculous comparison.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

What "council" told them they needed to ask for Disney's permission? There's a council on gravestones in the UK or something?
Much like a homeowner's association can tell you what you can and can't have in your yard, there are rules as far as cemeteries. They are meant to be places of rest and there is a certain sense of decorum where there are limits as far as gaudy and overbearing as well as poor taste. Yes yes I know everyone is all "fuck the rules blah blah blah" but this is the real world and not an internet message board.

People get stupid when grief is involved. If the kid had asked for it, it would have been mentioned front and center in the story. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the kids favorite spider man book or figure or blanket buried with him, to comfort the kid? This is for the dad. Would staring at Spiderman on the gravestone be better for the dad than staring at an etching of his own son? That is creepy to me.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
In certain theological traditions (see Aquinas) a person who dies as a child is translated into his thirties upon death.

The guy could actually be pretty embarrassed by a superhero headstone at that point.

Better to keep it classy.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
If someone can legally create this

They could get creative for the tombstone. That said, it isn’t a good look for a mega corporation to deny a wish like this. It’s not like people the world over will think... oh, this character is associated with death now. Ruined.

I suppose what happened in Endgame should now be scrubbed and instead they all got blipped to other dimensions permanently instead.

lol you realize he literally is being stopped from putting this on a tombstone because it is copyrighted. like, you are defending the exact thing you are calling me out for lol. im not the one who forced Disney to be dicks about IP. they are. precisely because of the character involved.

if you want to use folk culture and religious things that are global and have been in use for thousands of years and are not owned by any single corporation, you won't run into IP issues. it's called not being an idiot.

that this guy needs a corporate mascot to remind him of his own son is his issue.
Oh noooo poor Disney will loose the copyright of Spiderman to this family and they will MAKE MILLIONS. Think of pooooor Disney :messenger_loudly_crying:

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's also a bit if confusion at to what the father actually wants.
I imagine an etching would just be a pic within the tombstone.
Others here seem to think the request is for the entire headstone to be a lifesize figure of spiderman or something.

Dacon

Banned
“We have striven to preserve the same innocence and magic around our characters”

Explain Ultimatum.

fs0X9Dp.jpg

First, I feel horrible for what that family is going through. The loss of a son, daughter, nephew, or niece is one of the worst things I can imagine. My heart goes out them and I hope they find some small measure of closure.

God Ultimatum was a total abortion

to be fair, while it's a dick move, I can sorta understand Disney's decision. but they really should look at this as a PR opportunity instead. help the family in some ways and maybe get Tom Holland to pay a visit or something.

Top Bottom