• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disturbing video shows high school cheerleaders forced into repeated splits

https://www.today.com/news/disturbing-video-shows-high-school-cheerleaders-forced-repeated-splits-t115456

Police in Denver, Colorado, are investigating allegations surrounding a high school cheer coach's intense training methods which left young team members in excruciating pain.

Shocking video released overnight by NBC affiliate KUSA shows footage of teenagers from Denver's East High School in severe pain as they are forced into split positions while their arms are held in place — despite their screams and pleas to stop.

One of the girls in the video, incoming 13-year-old freshman Ally Wakefield, told the network that she was forced into the split position against her will by the newly-hired cheer coach. "It was tearing my ligament and my muscle at the same time," said Wakefield, one of three East High School cheerleaders to speak to KUSA. "He was pushing down on the back of my right leg. He was pushing like with his other knee on my back to try to keep my posture straight."

The cheer coach at the center of the investigation has been placed on leave, along with the school's principal, assistant principal, an assistant cheer coach and the Denver Public Schools deputy general counsel.

"This is a grown man pushing my 13-year-old girl so hard against her will while she's crying and screaming for him to stop that he's ripping tissues in her body," said Kristen Wakefield, the girl's mother.

The elder Wakefield sent an email alerting school officials on June 15, but a police investigation wasn't started for more than two months.

"We absolutely prohibit any practices that place our students' physical and mental health in jeopardy," Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg said in a statement. "We do not and will not allow any situation in which a student is forced to perform an activity or exercise beyond the point at which they express their desire to stop."

(Warning: The video may be intense and disturbing for some viewers.)

jph139

The fact that kids signed up for it and the kept coming back is the scariest part.

Peer pressure is some crazy shit.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Wow, the video was worse than I expected. Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, I still thought I was about to see that kid get severely injured. It takes a really fucked up individual to keep pushing a girl who is making sounds like that.

kunonabi

This was pretty much how i was taught the splits growing up. Is there is another method that doesnt hurt like hell?

Camwi

That description was enough. I'll pass on the video of a child getting physically tortured by some shithead.

His ass better get fired.

jett

D-Member
I don't know how some parents can remain calm after seeing something like that. And these fucks are just on leave? How are they not suing their asses into oblivion?

Boke1879

The fact that kids signed up for it and the kept coming back is the scariest part.

A lot of times kids are scared to say shit. They feel no one will believe them or the other kids might blame them for ruining their chances on the squad if they talk.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't know how some parents can remain calm after seeing something like that. And these fucks are just on leave? How are they not suing their asses into oblivion?

Because some insane sport parents think this is the right thing to do, to push the limits of their kid and make them into what they were. Its crazy, but there are a LOT of insane high pressure parrents out there when it comes to their kids in sports.

Yeah I had to nope out of that video. If that were my kid and I saw that I'd have probably flipped my shit.

I don't even have kids, and I'm flipping my shit right now.

Jesus christ, what a fucking idiot. You gotta question what this guy is getting out of it (the guy is the coach, right?). She's clearly crying for them to stop. Doing splits isn't that important that they have to be pushed beyond an unreasonable threshold of pain against their will.

Jonnax

When you're 13 you generally accept what your teachers tell you.
If they wanted to be a cheerleader then they would assume that every other person training to become one had to do the same.

This was pretty much how i was taught the splits growing up. Is there is another method that doesnt hurt like hell?

There's a machine with a crank you sit in. You control it yourself. Much safer than what is going on here.

Thinking about, you could probably practice stretching with some kind of elastic band.

jwk94

There's a machine with a crank you sit in. You control it yourself. Much safer than what is going on here.

Thinking about, you could probably practice stretching with some kind of elastic band.
You're kidding about the machine, right? That sounds like a torture device.

So dangerous. Anyone I've ever know who could do splits very well learned so over long period of time and usually while involved in gymnastics.

Greedings

What he did was obviously gross and wrong. He should be immediately removed from his position.

What the girl said "it was tearing my ligament and muscles" isn't necessarily true. Doubt she'd be able to walk if she had such a serious injury.

Jesus Christ man. I can imagine her father being out for that coach's blood after hearing and seeing that being done to his daughter. Man what is wrong with some people? Horrible. Hope that coach gets what is coming to him.

You're kidding about the machine, right? That sounds like a torture device.
No. I used one when taking karate.

ApcnUFn.jpg

Mine had a crank handle. Not a steering wheel.

Serick

Married Member
Video made me sick.

I really really really hate some of the sports culture we enforce on our children in America.

Fuck.

Jesus Christ man. I can imagine her father being out for that coach's blood after hearing and seeing that being done to his daughter. Man what is wrong with some people? Horrible. Hope that coach gets what is coming to him.
I hope the parents are disgusted by this. But sadly I can also imagine an american father thinking that this is the way things should be done to reach the top of some fucking silly competition.

Edit: oh the mother is disgusted, thank god.

if's fucking HIGH SCHOOL! Like these are fucking extra curricular teenage activities and you have asshole coaches who take this shit this seriously? same with that story about the football coach making his team do navy seal exercises from a couple weeks ago. These people should face charges.

Not knowing anything about the proper way to do the splits, I guess my opinion about this depends on if he's using the incorrect method (based off some of the responses in here, it appears that he might be).

I don't doubt that there's a whole slew of sports training methods regularly used in K-12 that are rigorous, painful, and exhausting. For me it ultimately comes down to a question of if a method being used is 1) unsafe and 2) being forced upon a student against her will.

At the very least it looks like #2 was being violated here.

jwk94

if's fucking HIGH SCHOOL! Like these are fucking extra curricular teenage activities and you have asshole coaches who take this shit this seriously? same with that story about the football coach making his team do navy seal exercises from a couple weeks ago. These people should face charges.
High school and college sports are really serious in the US.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy shit. I was not ready for that video.

Is this the price for "popularity" ?

I hope the parents are disgusted by this. But sadly I can also imagine an american father thinking that this is the way things should be done to reach the top of some fucking silly competition.

Edit: oh the mother is disgusted, thank god.

I read somewhere that the community for ballet "enthusiasts" are pretty much accepting these kind of torturing things. Also some boxing gyms, where I casually trained still think that you only train hard enough if you are on the verge of vomiting and passing out.

ELAMOR

I read somewhere that the community for ballet "enthusiasts" are pretty much accepting these kind of torturing things. Also some boxing gyms, where I casually trained still think that you only train hard enough if you are on the verge of vomiting and passing out.

I really hate that No Pain No Gain culture, fuck that

Top Bottom