• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJMAX Technika Tune |OT| Fashionably Late to the Vita Dance Floor

Shinriji

Wanna buy the cart version. Waiting for another $5 discount on the store (missed it for the first time, and the poster is useless to me).

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Haven't quite got to grips with the rear touchpad yet as I've mostly stuck to the Star Mix, but the couple of KARA songs I played with the rear touchpad controls were a little fiddly, especially when you're asked to almost simultaneously tap on the front as well. Though, it's a pleasant challenge I think, and not as irritating as I've read about. Haven't had too much trouble finding a comfortable position for it either, I just need more time to practice.

The rear touchpad took me a while to get used to, still not really a fan so I mostly play touch screen only (since I also play in the arcade anyway). I remember watching a youtube video by twentytwo22 and he did make a good point in that using the rear touchpad helps clear up the screen a bit so some harder songs can be easier to follow.

I think it's just a matter of finding your sweet spot and developing the muscle memory to go with it.

Roubjon

After playing around 650 songs or so, I think I can say I'm 100% comfortable with the backtouch controls to the point where I never really have to think about it and it just flows. I loved the game since I started playing, but whenever I can play a rhythm game and get to this point, it becomes way more fun for me and it's when I get addicted.

Got mine from VG+. Think it was about £35, shipping included.

Can you give a link to the product page? Was it cheaper than buying directly from technikatune.com?

The question of where to order from gets asked a lot so this should probably be in the OP somewhere...

kiyomi

Can you give a link to the product page? Was it cheaper than buying directly from technikatune.com?

The question of where to order from gets asked a lot so this should probably be in the OP somewhere...

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=20619

It's actually on back order now. I guess I was really lucky :/

And yes, it was significantly cheaper than buying direct. I just checked now and the shipping prices alone are of $90, 85 and 93. That can't be right, surely?

addyb

I received my copy from VG+ today as well (I'm UK)
Only took 4 days to arrive. Very impressed. Great game as well although I'm not brilliant at it.

cj_iwakura

Heck, I once paid $90 to import the Korean PS2 version of Pump It Up Exceed, and that somehow got localized.
(The KR pad was much, MUCH better though.)

addyb

Who here has played project diva (vita) as well. Just wondered how it compares. Absolutely loving DJMax!

Roubjon

Who here has played project diva (vita) as well. Just wondered how it compares. Absolutely loving DJMax!

It's a great rhythm game as well that's challenging with a low barrier of entry. The gameplay isn't very similar to DJMAX so if you buy it you'll have some variety. It is a very well made game, and if you are a fan of vocaloid then you'll like it even more. If this means anything, it's probably my most played game on Vita so far at around 60 hours and I was never a huge fan of any vocaloid stuff.

addyb

It's a great rhythm game as well that's challenging with a low barrier of entry. The gameplay isn't very similar to DJMAX so if you buy it you'll have some variety. It is a very well made game, and if you are a fan of vocaloid then you'll like it even more. If this means anything, it's probably my most played game on Vita so far at around 60 hours and I was never a huge fan of any vocaloid stuff.

Thanks for the reply mate. I heard its import friendly? I wont be swamped full of menus I dont understand before getting to the actual game will I?

addyb

Not at all, it's incredibly easy to navigate everything.

Well I will definitely be getting it. I'll wait a while though as got plenty on at the moment game wise. It will cost me around £45 so I'll keep my eyes peeled for anyone selling a pre owned copy.

Wonko_C

Well I will definitely be getting it. I'll wait a while though as got plenty on at the moment game wise. It will cost me around £45 so I'll keep my eyes peeled for anyone selling a pre owned copy.

I'd suggest getting the PS3 version (if you own one) as it will have 6 more songs that will be added to the Vita as paid DLC. It comes out on March 7.

addyb

I'd suggest getting the PS3 version (if you own one) as it will have 6 more songs that will be added to the Vita as paid DLC. It comes out on March 7.

Yeah I have a ps3 but is that still the Japanese version? I dont have a Japanese psn account and not bothered about creating one so the dlc would be wasted on me as well much like the vita dlc would be.

With using a UK account that is.

Yeah I have a ps3 but is that still the Japanese version? I dont have a Japanese psn account and not bothered about creating one so the dlc would be wasted on me as well much like the vita dlc would be.

With using a UK account that is.

DIVA F (PS3) has the 6 new songs as part of the base package. They're only DLC for DIVA f (Vita).

Also, the Project DIVA thread is that way, guys -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428412

bs000

AFAIK the only way to get physical copies is to order them direct from their site or importing an Asian copy from like play-asia or whatever. Thing is, I'm not sure if the English/NA copies can be shipped to Canada. Couldn't hurt to contact them though - their customer service people are really friendly.

They'll ship it almost anywhere, but do NOT choose UPS if shipping to Canada. Use USPS only.

Directly from their website is $20 shipping. D:

Last time I checked Play-Asia they only had the Japan version for $70 but they have the US version for $55 now. Ordered that with free shipping and it's already on the way. Thanks guys. :D

It's out of my hands. I'm not going to pick up the PSN version because that'd mean my little brother wouldn't be able to play the game on his Vita

So I discovered the other day the game actually saves its data to the game card and not your memory card, meaning any account that tries to load it can. But if it's not the account the save is attached to, trophies get disabled. You have to wipe the save off the card to earn trophies on another account, meaning the first save will be lost unless synced to PS+. Not sure if this affects your purchasing decisions.

RS4-

Ugh fuck, maybe I should've ordered from VG+. Maybe I'll give them a call and drop by as they're a 20 min drive away.

Takuya

Banned
I still have the Limited Edition sealed, I bought the digital one while waiting for my LE to arrive and have never opened it since.. lol

If I was to buy a Vita then this is one of the games I would pick up ASAP.

I have the original and is one of the best rhythm games out.

So I finally got my copy. I was afraid of starting it because I figured it would consume my soul and ....

IT DID.

It's all I want to play :( So close to finishing the DLC in Motorstorm, I was hoping to finish that last night and then be able to just move onto this.

About the difficulty though, as I'm new to DJMAX - it's not as difficult as I thought? I just need to get used to having the two levels of notes and switching back and forth. So far I've gotten used to it more or less but I still mess up and miss a group of notes here or there because I didn't switch quick enough. I guess everyone plays differently, I keep trying to use both hands.

The game is REALLY awesome though, it's easily a must own, and easily a sell for the Vita IMO.

Wonko_C

So I finally got my copy. I was afraid of starting it because I figured it would consume my soul and ....

IT DID.

It's all I want to play :( So close to finishing the DLC in Motorstorm, I was hoping to finish that last night and then be able to just move onto this.

About the difficulty though, as I'm new to DJMAX - it's not as difficult as I thought? I just need to get used to having the two levels of notes and switching back and forth. So far I've gotten used to it more or less but I still mess up and miss a group of notes here or there because I didn't switch quick enough. I guess everyone plays differently, I keep trying to use both hands.

The game is REALLY awesome though, it's easily a must own, and easily a sell for the Vita IMO.

At least in Star Mixing and Pop Mixing and the early Club Mixing songs are not as tough. DJ Max Portable 3 on the other hand... is hell to me on the easiest setting after a couple o Notes go too fast and my brain can't process what buttons to push. My brain can't process the combinations of key presses fast enough. @_@

Mit-

To people who play touchscreen only, does it work well? Does it simulate the arcade experience well? I'm worried things will get too crowded with the small screen.

Roubjon

At least in Star Mixing and Pop Mixing and the early Club Mixing songs are not as tough. DJ Max Portable 3 on the other hand... is hell to me on the easiest setting after a couple o Notes go too fast and my brain can't process what buttons to push. My brain can't process the combinations of key presses fast enough. @_@

Haha, if you think DJMP3 is hard, you should see the first one. Seizure inducing gameplay, and I love it! I'd freaking love a new traditional DJMAX game too, but at the same time I kind of want the buttons on my Vita to last a little longer, lol.

Yeah its been awhile since I've really gotten into a rhythm game, so I'm trying to rethink how I approach it. I keep doing well, and then screwing up an entire section, stuff like that. I'm really loving it though.

To people who play touchscreen only, does it work well? Does it simulate the arcade experience well? I'm worried things will get too crowded with the small screen.

It works perfectly well for me, although I've never played the previous ones. A lot of my friends who did had a reoccurring complaint - that it was confusing with how many buttons you had to press. I think the fans of the series are also wishing that was an option with this one but /shrug

Funny thing though is that I showed it to my wife and she was like "IT'S LIKE DDR WITH YOUR HANDS.... I WANT REAL DDR NOW.." and I was like uhh.... ok....

PopInnovation

Neo Member

It's very close to the arcade experience, except that you are obviously only playing in 3 lanes instead of 4.

Only issue I've ran into is that my hands cover up a part of the screen before I can see the notes there, so I usually need to stretch my fingers out. The screen does get crowded, but I think it's pretty good practice for the arcade anyway (the arcade screen can get really crowded too after all).

BAM!

ViJ2MA3.png

There, Korea, I did your stupid grind. I hope you're happy. :(
:D

cj_iwakura

Haha, if you think DJMP3 is hard, you should see the first one. Seizure inducing gameplay, and I love it! I'd freaking love a new traditional DJMAX game too, but at the same time I kind of want the buttons on my Vita to last a little longer, lol.

No joke. The most fair challenge is in DJMP2, since it's mostly DDR(re: chains) challenge.

DJMP1 is ridiculous jump-note-jump-note-multihit challenges.

That said, it does have some great songs which never made it out of the first game, and an awesome intro too.

Fantastic game!! I made it to a 9,999 note combo only to realize that the trophy actually requires a 99,999 note combo. Lol, wtf! There can only be a handful of people that have made that because with a 10k combo I'm ranked under 500th.

hamchan

Oh damn didn't even see this thread.

Anyways, star mixing pretty much all done and it was way too easy I nearly fell asleep. Pop Mixing is far more enjoyable but the most challenge came from actually figuring out how to hold the device to hit the rear pad. I eventually just followed an earlier suggestion in the previous thread to use the Kid Icarus 3DS stand lol.

Also added a bunch of people from the GAF list to friends so we can compare leaderboards.

macklelol

This game is so damn good. Been playing since a few days after it came out. I got the platinum for it a few days ago, and I'm still playing it every day. Hoping for more songs soon, though.

Maybe I'll try learning how to play with rear touchpad next, I've been playing touchscreen only all this time.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So I discovered the other day the game actually saves its data to the game card and not your memory card, meaning any account that tries to load it can. But if it's not the account the save is attached to, trophies get disabled. You have to wipe the save off the card to earn trophies on another account, meaning the first save will be lost unless synced to PS+. Not sure if this affects your purchasing decisions.

God this is terrible, haha.

Well, I guess that settles it. I'll just wait for a discount on the PSN version and buy two copies, one for me and one for my little brother :/

PopInnovation

Neo Member
I'm extremely confident there will eventually be a sequel, it's just a matter of when. Plenty of life left in this version anyway!

DLC songs plz.

kiyomi

I've owned this for about a week so I guess I should post some further thoughts on the game.

I'm still really enjoying it and although I've played through most of the songs at least once (I think), I'm finding that I still get challenged by it even on Pop Mix. Some of the higher star songs are practically impossible for someone of my skill level, haha. Looking at you, Bamboo on Bamboo :mad:

As I think I said before, I've never really been into rhythm games so this is my first real foray into them and the front touchscreen tapping still feels most natural. I'm slowly getting better at the rear pad notes, especially when they're a little bit seperated from a cluster of notes. That gives me the time to approach it and say "okay now I need to do this", rather than some of the more hectic arrangements that come up where I just panic and tap both front and back like a madman.

What songs do people enjoy playing the most? I find the songs that are most interesting to play are my favourites, and that usually goes hand in hand with how they sound. For example, 'You Should Get Over Me' is probably my favourite right now, they way they implemented your taps into the music on that one makes it so much fun to play.

Also added a bunch of people from the GAF list to friends so we can compare leaderboards.

How do we do this? I couldn't see an integrated friend leaderboard, but maybe I'm missing it.

Roubjon

What songs do people enjoy playing the most? I find the songs that are most interesting to play are my favourites, and that usually goes hand in hand with how they sound. For example, 'You Should Get Over Me' is probably my favourite right now, they way they implemented your taps into the music on that one makes it so much fun to play.

How do we do this? I couldn't see an integrated friend leaderboard, but maybe I'm missing it.

Unfortunately there isn't any way to view your friends on the leaderboard. I guess the best place to do that would be in this thread, which would be fun.

As to what songs I like the most, it's usually the trance/pop songs that I prefer. If the note charts go along with the music nicely, then then those will be the songs I spend the most time playing. So far, I'd say one of my favorite songs to play is Xeus. Overall though, if a song has a hard notechart and has a song I think is at least decent in some way, then I'll play it often.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
I've owned this for about a week so I guess I should post some further thoughts on the game.

I'm still really enjoying it and although I've played through most of the songs at least once (I think), I'm finding that I still get challenged by it even on Pop Mix. Some of the higher star songs are practically impossible for someone of my skill level, haha. Looking at you, Bamboo on Bamboo :mad:

As I think I said before, I've never really been into rhythm games so this is my first real foray into them and the front touchscreen tapping still feels most natural. I'm slowly getting better at the rear pad notes, especially when they're a little bit seperated from a cluster of notes. That gives me the time to approach it and say "okay now I need to do this", rather than some of the more hectic arrangements that come up where I just panic and tap both front and back like a madman.

Sounds like you are on the exact learning curve that most people go through, especially for someone relatively new to rhythm games. Play a little each day and move up the difficulty level of the songs (the amount of stars) one by one. Slowly things will start to click, and before you know it even the most difficult songs on club mixing will be do-able.

The slower pop-songs are generally a good place to start. I started with the K-Pop and Put Em Up (one of my fav songs). In saying that, some people like to just dive into the deep end and start with the faster-paced songs. Your score will progress from C to B to A and before you know it, you'll be getting S's.

Just keep at it! Even if you just pull it out for a quick set each day, it'll help you a lot.

What songs do people enjoy playing the most? I find the songs that are most interesting to play are my favourites, and that usually goes hand in hand with how they sound. For example, 'You Should Get Over Me' is probably my favourite right now, they way they implemented your taps into the music on that one makes it so much fun to play?

Yeah I'm loving a lot of the songs. One of my current favs is "Get On Top", it just has such an awesome groove. Once I've beaten all the songs in star and gotten confident enough I'll move onto pop. I really love this game though.

i've been stuck with pop songs for a while now.

it's almost as if there an invisible wall that wont let me finish any club mixes LOL

There's a significant jump in chart difficulty between Pop and Club mixing. Some issues adapting are to be expected. Keep at it, but don't overdo it; if you're practicing regularly you'll see improvements even while taking breaks.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
There's a significant jump in chart difficulty between Pop and Club mixing. Some issues adapting are to be expected. Keep at it, but don't overdo it; if you're practicing regularly you'll see improvements even while taking breaks.

This.

Countless times I'd get to Club mixing, make it through the first three songs and then just get demolished by the boss track. It was discouraging at first but... one day it kind of just "clicked". Keep at it!!

You can also try looking for YouTube videos of some of the songs and learning the step charts in advance, that helps a lot (although I don't know what the availability of videos for the Vita is like... but that's how I improved on arcade).

This.

Countless times I'd get to Club mixing, make it through the first three songs and then just get demolished by the boss track. It was discouraging at first but... one day it kind of just "clicked". Keep at it!!

You can also try looking for YouTube videos of some of the songs and learning the step charts in advance, that helps a lot (although I don't know what the availability of videos for the Vita is like... but that's how I improved on arcade).

the boss track is where i keep fumbling.

i can do most of the hard songs on pop (cant think of any specifics atm) with a B average but as soon as i get to the boss tracks i'm done LOL

Top Bottom