• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dmc: Devil May Cry's DLC "Vergil's Downfall" is so boring

Alo0oy

Banned
I bought the definitive edition of dmc because I heard they fixed the whole "Demon Mode" and "Angel Mode" thing, which is not necessarily true, the game still actively takes away more than half your combat options for most enemies, "Demon" enemies still poise through Angel weapons and vice versa, and the controls are still terrible. It's still significantly better than the original version though.

Anyway, I never got to play the DLC when it released on PS3, so this was my first time through it, and it's so incredibly boring, the game still forces the whole "Demon" and "Angel" modes down your throat even if it doesn't make sense with Yamato, and Vergil's moveset is so incredibly boring compared to DMC3/4SE, he's too slow and the controls are terrible because of R2/L2.

The environments and story are so uninteresting and dull, I just finished 5 missions and all of them take place in the same boring place, and I still have no idea what the hell is going on with the story. Is he dreaming in hell or something?

I was never one of those people that said dmc was the worst thing to ever happen, it did a lot of good things and a lot of bad things, but Vergil's downfall seems to be doubling down on the bad things while ignoring the good things, like the very interesting environments and batshit insane story (yes, I liked the story in dmc).

Seyavesh

well at least you get to see vergil turn into a super saiyan

lKOKouM.jpg

Although I will agree that the environment were a little disappointing, I did enjoy my time with this dlc. Mainly because I found Virgil super enjoyable to play as. You can do some real devious shit once you get used to his moveset, it's great.

Anteater

I thought he's fun to play as but too overpowered, I also hated the boss fights.

Not sure about the controls issue though, I thought holding down a button to change mode makes it easier to change weapons.

Alo0oy

Banned
I thought he's fun to play as but too overpowered, I also hated the boss fights.

Not sure about the controls issue though, I thought holding down a button to change mode makes it easier to change weapons.

What makes Vergil worse to play as was that his Angel and Demon modes were completely unnecessary, Rapid Slash could have been mapped to the traditional stinger controls, flare could have been his "attack, attack, delay, attack" combo, Rising Star could have been mapped to "lock on, backward, attack", Orbit could have been his aerial delay combo...and so on.

At leas it made sense with Dante since he used different weapons (even though I hated it), with Vergil it's just needlessly complicated controls just to fulfill the Angel and Demon quota.

I probably enjoyed it more than the main game. Especially since it didn't focus on any of that "They Live" crap and was just about Sparda's family.

Also, it gave us a little taste of Vergil Vs Dante which a lot of us Vergil fans have been waiting for.

B_Signal

I played through it a few weeks back, I've been meaning to since finishing DMC but never found the time. I wonder if I'd have enjoyed it more if I hadn't taken such a long break from it, but yeah, agree with the op, it was really disappointing after how good the main game was

What makes Vergil worse to play as was that his Angel and Demon modes were completely unnecessary, Rapid Slash could have been mapped to the traditional stinger controls, flare could have been his "attack, attack, delay, attack" combo, Rising Star could have been mapped to "lock on, backward, attack", Orbit could have been his aerial delay combo...and so on.

At leas it made sense with Dante since he used different weapons (even though I hated it), with Vergil it's just needlessly complicated controls just to fulfill the Angel and Demon quota.

What you just gave as alternatives is what is 'needlessly complicated'.

Sounds like "Not what I want so it's bad".

Actually not complicated at all. Those are classic commands and are mostly just lock on and direction or a slight delay in string. Even DMC1 had commands like this and it is by far the simplest DMC game. He is saying it can be done without needing to do 2 modes, which is overcomplicating the simple commands.

Azoor

Virgil was so whiny in that DLC it made me not want to continue playing.

I did giggle when I saw the teaser for the sequel that will never happen.

Alo0oy

Banned

What SixMachine said. Not only would a traditional control scheme work better with Vergil, but it would free up two buttons, one for DT, and one for an actual secondary weapon that can be switched to.

Sesha

I agree for the most part with the criticisms. The atmosphere is very lacking and so it just feels terribly boring.

I think Vergil's moveset is great, but because of how VFX, SFX, animations and the controls are, it doesn't feel great like how Vergil does in 3 or 4. The combat music doesn't help either.

The right way to describe DmC's control scheme is convoluted. While the classic DMC way of inputting directional command moves requires more buttons pushed at any time, it's also more straightforward than how DmC does it.

Raw64life

I bought DMC:DE earlier this year for $20. I honestly can't recall a single thing about this DLC other than that I'm sure I played through it.

Alo0oy

Banned
I bought DMC:DE earlier this year for $20. I honestly can't recall a single thing about this DLC other than that I'm sure I played through it.

I just beat it and I forgot everything already. I don't even know what was happening with the story.

Ironically it's the only part with remotely good gameplay, despite the game's awful controls, Vergil was complex enough that DMC4SE's Vergil had a lot of moves from this version of Vergil

The DE was my first time playing a DMC game. I really liked it. It was really fun. Any suggestions on where to go next. Should I play any of the PS2 ones or just play 4?

I'm still currently playing it again on harder difficulties and will probably finish Bayonetta and then play Bayonetta 2 next. Really like this genre and don't know how I missed it for so long.

I just beat it and I forgot everything already. I don't even know what was happening with the story.

Vergil went to the limbo world where Eva was banished to (I think) but towards the end he decided to reject her and what was left of his humanity and embraced his demon side. You should remember the cliffhanger for the sequel that will probably never happen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Title said:
dmc: Devil May Cry's is so boring[/url]

I mean, it wasn't Capcom's developers working on it. So yeah... even with their "oversight" somehow Ninja Theory made a completely boring and shitty game.

The DE was my first time playing a DMC game. I really liked it. It was really fun. Any suggestions on where to go next. Should I play any of the PS2 ones or just play 4?

Play DMC3 and 4. 1 if you enjoy those, but it's very different and has "aged" a bit (since it was a Biohazard 4 prototype). Muuuch superior gameplay to Donte must Cry.

Not some combat master here, but I thought his options were pretty boring and limited till you got the doppelganger... and then the dlc was over.

Alo0oy

Banned
get DMC:SE

play as the superior vergil

I got it when it came out, it was great other than Lady being extremely OP.

Vergil went to the limbo world where Eva was banished to (I think) but towards the end he decided to reject her and what was left of his humanity and embraced his demon side. You should remember the cliffhanger for the sequel that will probably never happen.

What confused me was the appearance of Dante and Kat, which made it look like a dream. And then he went ahead and told his mother that he killed her son, and then he killed himself.

So my impression was that it was a dream or something, the whole thing was very poorly written unlike the main game.

I'm still currently playing it again on harder difficulties and will probably finish Bayonetta and then play Bayonetta 2 next. Really like this genre and don't know how I missed it for so long.

Play through 1, 3, and 4 in that order. One has aged a lot, but it still has the best enemy design and atmosphere, 3 has the best story and the gameplay holds up extremely well, while 4 has the deepest combat in an action game ever to this day. Also make sure you support Nier Automata when it comes out if you find yourself engrossed in the genre (It's a bit different, but there are enough similarities).

Sesha

What confused me was the appearance of Dante and Kat, which made it look like a dream. And then he went ahead and told his mother that he killed her son, and then he killed himself.

So my impression was that it was a dream or something, the whole thing was very poorly written unlike the main game.

I think the intention was that it's a dream that represented Vergil falling into despair, discarding his good side and and embracing the darkness within. It was very anime-esque, which makes sense since it pretty blatantly referenced Bleach, and had some commonalities with Naruto as well.

Play through 1, 3, and 4 in that order. One has aged a lot, but it still has the best enemy design and atmosphere

giphy.gif

You're good people, OP.

I think the intention was that it's a dream that represented Vergil falling into despair, discarding his good side and and embracing the darkness within. It was very anime-esque, which makes sense since it pretty blatantly referenced Bleach, and had some commonalities with Naruto as well.
I don't have a link to that specific thread right now, but the director of Vergil's Downfall was on DMC.org at some point and he talked about the add-on and what it was, what they wanted to do with it and all that.

In regards to where it takes place, supposedly it's in actual hell.

Top Bottom