• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC3:SE or Ninja Gaiden Black?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Both.

Fans of character action games should cherish them both dearly given the current state of both series.

But yeah, DMC3:SE

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Both.

Fans of character action games should cherish them both dearly given the current state of both series.

But Ninja Gaiden Black. Focuses more on defense than rolling around.

Sanke__

Your question is impossible to answer.

Actually I guess I never technically played either game since I played the original versions of both.

Black.

Everything about it is super polished, and the combat is super tight. The game is a masterpiece.

DMC3 is a terrific game, but there's less polish and tightness. It's a little more mashy than Black.

WilyRook

that's a hell of a question. But if you're just wondering preference, mine's Black. Both games are incredible. I doubt I could write about why I prefer NG over DMC, about specifically how they play, without wanting to smack myself in the face.

Dmc3se for me. I prefer the combo system and enjoyed the boss battles a lot more. Virgil 3 is one of my favorites of all time on dmd mode.

Skilletor

It's like asking if you prefer defense or offense. Marvel vs. Capcom or Street Fighter. Virtua Fighter or Tekken.

They're both amazing action games with extremely different focus.

Would be nice if people here gave reasons for their preferences.

For me, DMC3 has a GREAT battle system, but it outclasses the rest of the game, if that makes sense? Most of the enemies seem to fall into training dummies or just annoying flying fuckers, the level design is only ok, some of the bosses are pretty ass, the buttrock battle music that plays throughout the entire fuckin' game gets old halfway through the fifth stage...I really like DMC3, but I've never loved it, even when I'm working on S-Ranking DMD and Royal Guarding Virgil 3.

NGB was the complete package, for an action-adventure game. The enemies, the more open level design, the wonderful balance between defense/offense on combat, the little puzzles, the visuals. And mothafuckin' Mission Mode. And great difficulty modes, that change up the enemy layouts/attack patterns instead of the usual "the same, but now they take twice as much damage/deal twice as much damage".

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Would be nice if people here gave reasons for their preferences.

It's going to come down to personal style and personal preference. Each one features sublime combat in its own way. People will simply prefer one over the other because of their own pre-dispositions.

DMC3:SE features unbridled freedom, variety, movement, and expression in combat with a focus on style.

NGB is all about deliberate and precise combat, focusing on quick, savage efficiency.

Non-combat-wise, I think NGB scratches that itch for an adventure game, whereas DMC3 has a better story and bosses. People who claim "it's not even close" are ridiculous. There's a reason these two are in the holy trinity of action games.

They really do complement eachother perfectly.

All the things I love about 3 are almost opposite of what I love about black when it comes down to it. And they both are fucking excellent in those regards.

The defense vs offense analogy is really accurate. And not just in regards to the nuance in dmc3s heavily technical, combo heavy style vs black's elegant, efficient, and brutal style. There is more to it than that.

I can't even get mad when someones says they prefer one over the other.

Endo Punk

Lets see. NGB has better level design, enemies, bosses, weapons etc etc. I do love stylin in DMC3 but, you know, always bet on Black.

Personally, I prefer Ninja Gaiden Black. That will forever be my benchmark for action games like those.

DMC3:SE is pretty freaking special, though, too. It's the best DMC, and the best action game on the PS2, in my mind.

Why you trying to start trouble man?

I'm always going to prefer DMC3 over NGB, but I recognize that NGB's enemy design is superior to DMC3 in almost every way. However, the combat system for DMC3 is just that damn good and it has one of, if not, the best story out of all the Japanese action games. Ryu is bad mofo, but NG in general doesn't have a colorful cast of characters like DMC.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Personally, I prefer Ninja Gaiden Black. That will forever be my benchmark for action games like those.

DMC3:SE is pretty freaking special, though, too. It's the best DMC, and the best action game on the PS2, in my mind.

Outside of GoW, Japanese developers own the genre, period. It was probably defined on the PS2 and the Xbox to an extent (fewer games in the genre).

I agree to the fact that NG had longer appeal. Dante is amazing, but his humor underplays the seriousness of the game. NGB however polishes everything DMC3 misses.

I can't say either one is greater, but surely both games have not been beat outside their studios. I think when Itagaki left, their studio lost its focus and the passion to make NG great.

DMC3 is probably the better game in terms of content. I personally think it takes more skill to play. NG is like one or two attacks.

*NG is jump + attack... slice head off... go in for a Izuna drop. DMC is a whole pallet of moves.

Nocturno999

DMC 3 has a more compex combo system and Ninja Gaiden Black felt faster and it has more adventure elements.

Both have great boss fights.

hm. I prefer DMC3, but I never played the SE, only the basic version with the "Normal=Hard" normal mode

The cutscenes are fantastic, and help push DMC above NG for me. I love that fat dude with the laser cannon from NGB though.

emag

NG:B. I really dislike the facing-sensitive controls of the DMC games.

Deciding between NG:B and Bayonetta is a little tougher. I enjoy Bayo's combat and graphics slightly more, but the "bonus" levels are garbage; NG:B has more interesting enemies/bosses (although Jeanne is excellent) and somewhat interesting platforming.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ninja Gaiden Black of course.

Even the sewer level was good. Underwater level still sucked though.

NGB

I remember playing DMC after beating Black and was totally shocked at the lack of a block button. I was all seinfeldnothanks.gif at it

DMC is the stronger series though, as perfect as NG/NGB were...they can't carry the sins of the rest of the series. DMC only has DMC2 to drag around.

Both are among my favorite games of all time. I like the weapons in DMC3 a lot more, as well as the cutscenes, while I prefer the movement and precision of Ninja Gaiden. It's hard to say which I like more.

From a pure combat standpoint, Ninja Gaiden 2 is still the king for me.

Top Bottom