• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC headquarters bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
450436516-director-james-comey-testifies-during-a-hearing-before.jpg.CROP_.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Please let the door hit your ass on your way out.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This is the election of a lifetime, wow. I don't think I'm ever going to see another shit show like this.

I'm gonna pray that something good goes our way BEFORE the election. We are supposed to have attacks in three different states, our own government is sabotaging a presidential candidate, Trump is friends with Russia, Isis and others are attacking in Mosul.. This world is going crazy, I dont' know what direction it's heading in but I'm a bit scared.

Wilsongt

I dunno if I believe this... Didn't MotherJones also break the story about the Russian and Trump computers talking and that turned out to be a pile of nothing and lies?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I dunno if I believe this... Didn't MotherJones also break the story about the Russian and Trump computers talking and that turned out to be a pile of nothing and lies?

It did? Can you link me a story on it being debunked?

Edit: Nevermind, googled it - well, that dude messed up a bit, eh?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Holy shit this election has been a cruel farce. People are animals.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The second sweep, according to the Democratic officials, found a radio signal near the chairman's office that indicated there might be a listening device outside the office. "We were told that this was something that could pick up calls from cellphones," a DNC official says. "The guys who did the sweep said it was a strong indication." No device was recovered. No possible culprits were identified.

Uh, shouldn't that title be "DNC headquarters might have been bugged"?

tuxfool

Banned

The communication thing was a Slate article. It was a pile of inconclusive.

The Mother Jones article asserted that Trump was compromised by Russia. That was unconfirmed, but supposedly evidence was handed into the FBI. The only denial of that came from other unnamed FBI sources in a NY Times article.

Given the state of the FBI we can't be really certain either way.

"I welcome this kind of investigation, because the people have got to know whether or not their presidential nomiee's a crook. Well I'm not a crook."

Wilsongt

It did? Can you link me a story on it being debunked?

Edit: Nevermind, googled it - well, that dude messed up a bit, eh?

Donald Trump's possible ties to Russia were the subject of four notable news reports in a matter of hours Monday night. If you're going to read one, you should really read them all. Or just read this.

All of the stories — published by Mother Jones, Slate, NBC and the New York Times — fit together. Alone, any one of the first three could seem explosive; as a collective, the group is inconclusive.

The Mother Jones report is based on the claim of an unnamed "former senior intelligence officer for a Western country who specialized in Russian counterintelligence." This person told the liberal magazine "that in recent months he provided the [FBI] with memos, based on his recent interactions with Russian sources, contending the Russian government has for years tried to co-opt and assist Trump — and that the FBI requested more information from him."

The former intelligence officer also told Mother Jones that according to his sources, "there was an established exchange of information between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin of mutual benefit."

The notion of "an established exchange of information" is consistent with Slate's report that a computer scientist — given the pseudonym "Tea Leaves" in a story by Franklin Foer — discovered what appears to be regular communication between a Trump computer server and a bank in Moscow. "Tea Leaves" and his colleagues, who originally set out to monitor cyberattacks, concluded that "this wasn’t an attack but a sustained relationship between a server registered to the Trump Organization and two servers registered to an entity called Alfa Bank."

The Times report lends credence to the others, yet blunts their significance at the same time. Did the FBI take the electronic communication described by Slate seriously? Sure, but the bureau "ultimately came to doubt" it. Did the FBI scrutinize Trump advisers like Manafort, as reported by NBC, and hunt for the kind of connection between Trump and the Russian government described in Mother Jones? Yes, but so far there is no "conclusive or direct link."

The Times story leaves open the possibility that the FBI could yet discover something more troubling. And it, like the other three reports, is based on anonymous sources.

But on the whole, after all that ink, it would be hard to say that we know anything more definitive about Trump and Russia than we did before.

So they reported on information, but not a lot of substantial evidence point to anything going on.

Don't get me wrong, I want nothing more than Trump to be taken down with gusto, but it doesn't seem a lot of threads are connecting strongly...

commedieu

Banned
(For some of their actions, O'Keefe and his crew have used people posing as volunteers to gain access to Democratic outfits.)

What?

MIMIC

Banned
I don't know anything about radio signals, but is it typical to detect a bug without finding the device?

Deku Tree

If the FBI gave it to the CIA then they had reason to believe that its international espionage. Wonder if they gave it to the NSA?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't know anything about radio signals, but is it typical to detect a bug without finding the device?

It's possible, IIRC.

(For some of their actions, O'Keefe and his crew have used people posing as volunteers to gain access to Democratic outfits.)

What?

That's how they were able to secretly record those SuperPAC people who were bragging about how they goad people at Trump rallies to become violent. Those people were subsequently fired.

CHC

Fuck this shit can't it just be Tuesday already jesus fucking ugggghhhh

I once had the energy to follow every stupid-ass development but this shit just feels like a TV show that should have wrapped it up two seasons ago.

Hmmm.

I'll need proof before jumping to conclusions (as easy as that is to do). If it was a 3-letter organization I would expect a warrant to be in order and a damn good reason to do it.

Still scary to read, though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I thought (maybe I'm wrong) they were saying they couldn't find the device it was transmitting to...?

They found a radio signal. Which could be something. Or could be nothing at all. There are radio signals everywhere. It doesn't say if this particular radio signal definitely has the markings of something more sinister. All we have to go on is heresay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom