• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Indian people eat anything other than Curry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I was watching tv and they had this program on where they went around india trying to find people who ate something other than curry. They didn't find anyone. They went to peoples houses for home cooked meals, went to an elementary school and searched kids lunches and every single one of them was curry.

I thought it was really surprising something that seemed like a stereotype was actually quite true. So I'm wondering, India GAF, I know most of you don't live in India, but is it true Indian people eat nothing but curry?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If I could eat Indian Curry everyday, I would.

Probably not. Brown people in general always have something with curry in their meals.

I myself can't imagine living without some curry in my daily meals. My mom cooks international dishes time to time though.

Also, Bengali food > Indian. We sorta perfected it.

Mik2121

Well, curry is quite easy to prepare and quite cheap, so yeah...

What they surely don't eat is nan (the bread that comes with curry many times), it's quite expensive over there, apparently. My gf has been in India over two years, she told me they also eat something called samosa:

82915030_742625dc31.jpg

And many other kinds of 'snacks' rather than real meals.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mik2121 said:
My gf has been in India over two years, she told me they also eat something called samosa:

Joke? That's another stereotypical Indian food.. at least here in Canada.

Mik2121

BocoDragon said:
Joke? That's another stereotypical Indian food.. at least here in Canada.
No joke. She is Japanese (I'm living in Jpn now) and here samosa is sorta stereotypical too, but she's been in some really small villages and whatnot and told me they sell that everywhere.

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
I've never had curry.

You should. With rice and/or nan if possible. It's incredibly tasty. Get some tandori chicken as well.

Firestorm

Curry is just a side dish. It's what you add to other food. You eat rice with curry because plain rice is stupid. You eat roti, naan, whatever Indian bread you want with curry. You don't just "eat curry" in the way foreign folks seem to think of it with the curry as the main dish and the other stuff as the side dish.

Mik2121

Firestorm said:
Curry is just a side dish. It's what you add to other food. You eat rice with curry because plain rice is stupid. You eat roti, naan, whatever Indian bread you want with curry. You don't just "eat curry" in the way foreign folks seem to think of it with the curry as the main dish and the other stuff as the side dish.
Does someone really think curry is the main dish? :/

Burger

I've had a lot of Indian food that wasn't 'Curry'

Chikken Tikka isn't curry, and it's fucking delicious.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mik2121 said:
Well, curry and <whatever it is put on top of or eaten with>.

cilonen

Mik2121 said:

The UK Indian Takeaway market has turned Curry into the main dish, so yeah. Lots of people here would see the Curry as the main part and then pick rice, naan, samosas, poppadums or onion bhajees to go with it. Supermarkets also market ready made Indian meals in this way.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Burger said:
I've had a lot of Indian food that wasn't 'Curry'

Chikken Tikka isn't curry, and it's fucking delicious.

The Chicken tikka masala is Scottish.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Burger

industrian said:
The Chicken tikka masala is Scottish.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Unlikely. Besides, I said Chiken Tikka. Not Tikka Masala. They are quite different.

There are a thousand stories about the origin of Tikka Masala, the one I heard was an Englishman in India ordered Chicken Tikka, but was expecting a saucy dish, so he sent it back saying "Add some sauce to it!", so they poured on some tomato/onion sauce, and bam, Tikka Masala.

* Whoops, not an Indian restaurant, but in Glasgow. Anyway, Chicken Tikka is most definitely not Scottish. So there.

FFChris

Mik2121 said:

I thought it was the main part of the meal along with the rice. I'm from the UK, and as cilonen points out we usually get it as a main meal.

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
I've never had curry.

You should. My favorite foreign food by far.

Firestorm

FFChris said:
I thought it was the main part of the meal along with the rice. I'm from the UK, and as cilonen points out we usually get it as a main meal.
Yeah, this seems to be the impression most people have. You eat a main dish with different curries. Basically any side dish is called a curry in my language so who knows what the requirements for being considered a curry are!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Burger said:
Besides, I said Chiken Tikka. Not Tikka Masala. They are quite different.

Ah, ok.

Burger said:
There are a thousand stories about the origin of Tikka Masala, the one I heard was an Englishman in India ordered Chicken Tikka, but was expecting a saucy dish, so he sent it back saying "Add some sauce to it!", so they poured on some tomato/onion sauce, and bam, Tikka Masala.

That's basically a rewrite of the origins. A dude walks into the Taj Mahal restuarant in Glasgow, thinks his chicken is too dry, the chef gets a tin of tomato soup and adds some herbs/spices/magic/whatever and voilà, the chicken tikka masala was born.

thetechkid

cilonen said:
The UK Indian Takeaway market has turned Curry into the main dish, so yeah. Lots of people here would see the Curry as the main part and then pick rice, naan, samosas, poppadums or onion bhajees to go with it. Supermarkets also market ready made Indian meals in this way.

I knew Bizzaro World was based on the UK, and this was the proof I needed.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Fuck I can't believe there are grown people that haven't tried curry. I love Indian curry, Japanes curry, and Thai curry. Hm, now I know what I'm grabbing for lunch. :D

xbhaskarx

Do black people eat anything other than Fried Chicken? Do Jews eat anything other than Bagels?

Why does this thread exist, and why is "curry" capitalized?

Zaptruder

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Do black people eat anything other than Fried Chicken? Do Jews eat anything other than Bagels?

Why do you tempt me to make a topic about Fried Chicken versus Curries?

WTF is this curry shit? What does that even mean? Im Indian and even i'm confused. :lol

OP, if you like Indian food, here are some 'non-curry' dishes which I think you should try:

North Indian Chaats (kinda like street food, spicy, tangy, and generally served with some sauces like tamarind or mint):

1. Samosa
2. Aloo Tikki (try it with some chickpeas, or as Indians call it, Chhole. Sprinkle some chopped onions and ginger on it, and serve hot with tamarind sauce. Fucking incredible.)
3. Paw Bhaji
4. Raj Kachori
5. Sev Poori
6. Gol Gappa (or Pani Poori, or Puchka, depending on which part of India you are in.)

South Indian:

1. Mysore Dosa (crepe with spice layered on it. If you like spicy food, it is heaven. Generally comes with Sambar and Coconut Chutney.)
2. Bisibelabath (Rice preparation... a little spicy, can be tangy if you ask for some lemon on it, but mostly think of it as pulao, or pilaf, with some sambar/rasam to make it sticky.)
3. Upma.

Gujrati:

1. Khaman Dhokla (generally very light, tastes awesome with tamarind chutney.)
2. Khaandvi.
3. Shrikhand (Thick, creamy yogurt.)
4. Malpua. (Dont even bother if you are even a little health conscious. That shit makes you gain a couple pounds easily in one sitting. Its damn tasty though. Oh, and dont forget to put some cream on top!!! :D )

Bengali:

1. Sandesh (tons of variety, try whichever you like. I personally enjoy rose petal sandesh and Nalen Gud sandesh, which is made from dates.)
2. Rosogolla. (Staple Bengali sweet dish. You will find it in every birthday, wedding and party in Bengal. Tastes amazing too!)
3. Macher Jhol (I dunno how to describe it, the best way would be to think of it as fish curry I guess. Non-veg GAF can help out here. I'm a vegetarian, but all my bengali friends ate this as their staple food. If possible, try to eat it at a Bengali household instead of a restaurant... the difference can be mind boggling.)

Thats all I can think of right now... But I would highly recommend any of these dishes wholeheartedly... and any Indian dude will tell you i've barely scratched the surface! For example, it would take a whole another post of a similar size to recommend Rajasthani food itself! :lol

Thriller

Im going to India and nepal this summer (will leave the 11th of next month) and I think I am going to encounter LOTS of curries and rice to the point Im craving something else.
Has anyone been in India and could you give me some advice what and what not to do?

Zaptruder

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
Add to that: Why do Asian people always eat rice?, etc, etc.

It's like the caucasian and wheat products. Except with rice, its even easier to prepare than bread, so its that much more ubiquitous. Plus it goes well with liquid base dishes of any sort, which is most of our dishes. And the few that aren't, often accompany other dishes with a liquid base to it.

If rice grew well in europe like wheat did, then you might've come to a similar sort of practice!

I lived with an indian housemate for about 2 months a few years ago and he ate nothing but curry, I don't mind it at all but a lot of the time the house would be overpowered by the smells and after a while it does get a little annoying. I love a hot curry but I could only stomach one about once a week.

Sweet & sour chicken on the other hand, I could eat that all my life.

Zaptruder

Banned
iamcool388 said:
WTF is this curry shit? What does that even mean? Im Indian and even i'm confused. :lol

OP, if you like Indian food, here are some 'non-curry' dishes which I think you should try:

North Indian Chaats (kinda like street food, spicy, tangy, and generally served with some sauces like tamarind or mint):

1. Samosa
2. Aloo Tikki (try it with some chickpeas, or as Indians call it, Chhole. Sprinkle some chopped onions and ginger on it, and serve hot with tamarind sauce. Fucking incredible.)
3. Paw Bhaji
4. Raj Kachori
5. Sev Poori
6. Gol Gappa (or Pani Poori, or Puchka, depending on which part of India you are in.)

South Indian:

1. Mysore Dosa (crepe with spice layered on it. If you like spicy food, it is heaven. Generally comes with Sambar and Coconut Chutney.)
2. Bisibelabath (Rice preparation... a little spicy, can be tangy if you ask for some lemon on it, but mostly think of it as pulao, or pilaf, with some sambar/rasam to make it sticky.)
3. Upma.

Gujrati:

1. Khaman Dhokla (generally very light, tastes awesome with tamarind chutney.)
2. Khaandvi.
3. Shrikhand (Thick, creamy yogurt.)
4. Malpua. (Dont even bother if you are even a little health conscious. That shit makes you gain a couple pounds easily in one sitting. Its damn tasty though. Oh, and dont forget to put some cream on top!!! :D )

Bengali:

1. Sandesh (tons of variety, try whichever you like. I personally enjoy rose petal sandesh and Nalen Gud sandesh, which is made from dates.)
2. Rosogolla. (Staple Bengali sweet dish. You will find it in every birthday, wedding and party in Bengal. Tastes amazing too!)
3. Macher Jhol (I dunno how to describe it, the best way would be to think of it as fish curry I guess. Non-veg GAF can help out here. I'm a vegetarian, but all my bengali friends ate this as their staple food. If possible, try to eat it at a Bengali household instead of a restaurant... the difference can be mind boggling.)

Thats all I can think of right now... But I would highly recommend any of these dishes wholeheartedly... and any Indian dude will tell you i've barely scratched the surface! For example, it would take a whole another post of a similar size to recommend Rajasthani food itself! :lol

Indian food is so wholly overrated.

South East Asian cuisine trumps the hell out of it. We've simply got better ingredients to work with, so better food culture developed. Plus, we've taken the best of indias stuff and incorporated into our cuisine, while leaving out the more average stuff.

The only reason IMO that Indian cuisine is as ubiquitous as it is, is because of the rate of immigration; there are a lot more Indians that South East Asian people*, so a lot more indian places are created outside their region. Plus South East Asian food is really technically the food of several different countries (Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc), so you don't get a sort of cumulative branding effect that you get with Indian food (I mean, who the hell knows what Gujrati food is outside of native indians? Very few people I imagine).

*although SEAs tend to have a higher rate of immigration thanks to their higher per capita affluence.

Dead Man

Zaptruder said:
Indian food is so wholly overrated.

South East Asian cuisine trumps the hell out of it. We've simply got better ingredients to work with, so better food culture developed. Plus, we've taken the best of indias stuff and incorporated into our cuisine, while leaving out the more average stuff.

The only reason IMO that Indian cuisine is as ubiquitous as it is, is because of the rate of immigration; there are a lot more Indians that South East Asian people*, so a lot more indian places are created outside their region. Plus South East Asian food is really technically the food of several different countries (Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc), so you don't get a sort of cumulative branding effect that you get with Indian food (I mean, who the hell knows what Gujrati food is outside of native indians? Very few people I imagine).

*although SEAs tend to have a higher rate of immigration thanks to their higher per capita affluence.
Did you just start a fanboi war about regional cuisine? What the hell?!:lol Indian is great, in fact the sub continent's cuisine in general is great, so is SE Asian food. Why fight?

Zaptruder

Banned
idahoblue said:
Did you just start a fanboi war about regional cuisine? What the hell?!:lol Indian is great, in fact the sub continent's cuisine in general is great, so is SE Asian food. Why fight?

I'm just jealous of the attention indian food gets. When SEA food is so much tastier. I mean... I wanna hear about people from other countries going on about the various awesome dishes like Laksa, kolo mee, nasi goreng and nasi lemak, etc, etc.

Cheerilee

xbhaskarx said:

Because Clue is the best movie ever.

Also, Indians seem to drink a lot of milk.

Salazar

Diablohead said:
I lived with an indian housemate for about 2 months a few years ago and he ate nothing but curry, I don't mind it at all but a lot of the time the house would be overpowered by the smells and after a while it does get a little annoying. I love a hot curry but I could only stomach one about once a week.

Sweet & sour chicken on the other hand, I could eat that all my life.

My flatmate used to start a curry bubbling in the morning, go off to university, and come back to it in the evening. Amazing smell, incredible taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom