• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Nonsense Words in Games Bother You?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Since I haven't seen it linked yet, I feel this video is appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NySkhp7cNZc

I'm not the a fan of using a nonsense word that means nothing in the world ether. Doesn't really matter in the end, but I still don't like it. Most of the Tales games for example are given names that mean literally nothing.

Estoc

It's been a while since I played FF13, and since I have no intention in going back to play it just to make a post, I can't really comment on how their implementation is bad compared with other games. However, for some reasons, I am fine learning words like Gerudo(BotW is the first Zelda I've played this long), Altmer, Al Bhed and such, but FF13's nonsense words just never clicked with me.

I don't know if it's just poorly explained: I remember we have to learn almost every in-game terms from the codex. Or just that they are used too frequently to the point that I felt like I was watching a cutscene in a foreign language.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Don't ever play Tales of the Abyss, OP. Not only they have so many made up words and terms, the game has a character that used them in such a way that makes other characters go YOU'RE SO GENIUS (like 'let us manipulate this -gibberish- by powering' gibberish' and then so that 'gibberish' can be changed or whatever') even though for all we know he's just speaking nonsense.

It will give you major annoyance.

It's been a while since I played FF13, and since I have no intention in going back to play it just to make a post, I can't really comment on how their implementation is bad compared with other games. However, for some reasons, I am fine learning words like Gerudo(BotW is the first Zelda I've played this long), Altmer, Al Bhed and such, but FF13's nonsense words just never clicked with me.

I don't know if it's just poorly explained: I remember we have to learn almost every in-game terms from the codex. Or just that they are used too frequently to the point that I felt like I was watching a cutscene in a foreign language.

I think because those terms you mentioned have more etymological relevance to our languages. I might be expressing my ignorance twice over in this thread, but is their an actual origin to terms like fal'Cie?

Bebpo

Banned
This is why when I talk about the jrpgs I'm playing I say stuff like the red hat guy, or gun guy, etc..because five mins after I turn off the game I can never remember how to spell any of these character names.

I agree it's pretty annoying. I'd be fine with jrpgs about Bob.

All depends on execution. L'cie and fal'cie was never explained/presented well enough, at least for the amount I played, for the plot to be understandable without me having to spend a while working out how everything fit.

Mathieran

Banned
If done right made up words can add a whole layer of charm or mystery to a fictional universe. I like to point to Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, and The Dark Tower series as good examples. Can't think of any games off the top of my head that succeed as well as those ones though.

It just depends on how it's used. Oddly enough, The Lord of the Rings never bothered me with that stuff. I just feel like the only time it really gets to me is when I'm playing games.
Lord of the rings works cause a dude spent years busting his butt studying linguistics and making up languages with kind of legit rules, and then dealt them out across a thousand pages. Internal consistency and context go a long way.

Top Bottom