• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you also dismiss games because of their artstyle?

Ahasverus

You won't caught me dead playing a waifu/cue anime game. Shit like Project Diva or the lastest Tales or whatever is embarrassing n that department.

I do this rarely, but it does happen. World of Final Fantasy is the best recent example. Doesn't matter if it's a great game. My interest is zero.

I'm a little tired of all the pixel art games but that's about as far as my dismissal goes. Generally I either love an art style or I don't care.

Not really, no. Although lately I've gotten tired of seeing so many 8bit or pixel art indie games, particularly on mobile. I won't not play a game, though, if it's actually good.

Dust: An Elysian Tail
It looks like furry fetish art from DeviantArt or Tumblr.
Can't deal with that.

just dust

I get physically ill when I look at Dust An Elysian Tale.. so yes.
DUST: An Elysian Tail. I just can't over the furry artsyle.

Add me to that list, that game looked like it had a great premise but the furry deviantart characters make me feel sick just looking at them.

Very rarely. Part of why I bounced off of the Mass Effect series was because I didn't like the mechanical designs: the space ships, armor, and weapons all looked unappealing to me. I get that they were trying to ape Syd Mead's style, but I feel they failed to capture what makes his designs work.

I'm not sure how good a story would have to be for me to overlook this.
ss_dc41bc62311b8273ecdec07e530f6b1ac4bceaa3.1920x1080.jpg

OH GOD KILL IT!! KILL IT!!!!!

Can't stand anime for the most part, so I try to avoid games with anime art styles UNLESS they got a good gameplay buzz going for them. If the gameplay is great then I can overlook animu.

Examples: Phoenix Wright, Disgaea

molnizzle

Anime is an automatic no-go for me. Won't even consider it.

...unless the title of the game starts with "Persona." Those get a pass.

Lt.Chips

Hated the character illustrations in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. Still hate it to this day.

But love both games nonetheless. The actual sprites are decent too.

Cepheus

Games with mainly furry/anthro characters.

Also, Splatoon. I bought it, but had to stop playing it after a few days. I don't feel comfortable playing a game featuring young girls who are also squids that shoot liquid at each other. Double the uncomfortableness because it's really, really popular in Japan.

Only to an extent. For me, a game has to merely be fun to play. If I'm playing a game I don't like with a bland art style, such as Demon Souls or Skyrim, not even great visuals would've been enough to make these games fun for me

Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, Arms and Splatoon all look like what I would call 'kid's games' and don't appeal to me at all. Their art style is a turn off. Battleborn and Overwatch are in the same category, as are Ratchet and Clank and Plants vs Zombies. They simply don't appeal to me. More power to those who enjoy those games.
Ok thanks for the reply, that's fair enough.

Inb4 "ARMS and 12Switch should just be packed in games"
This is such a weird reply. Like, are you sure you're even in the right thread?

Games with mainly furry/anthro characters.

Also, Splatoon. I bought it, but had to stop playing it after a few days. I don't feel comfortable playing a game featuring young girls who are also squids that shoot liquid at each other. Double the uncomfortableness because it's really, really popular in Japan.
I don't mean to belittle or mock you in any way, but that is kind of funny.

Norse

Dismiss is a harsh word, but if I'm not into a game's art style I can find it hard to stay motivated to play it unless the gameplay is really great (Gears of War). Also, I can sometimes enjoy a mediocre game if I'm really into the art style.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

For games that expect you to pay money to play, I'm selective towards art styles that draw me in (mainly atmospheric games, and art styles with something unique in them). If a game is praised for it's gameplay and has an art style I don't like, I may try a demo for if it has one, but why spend money on something I don't like visually? Certain 3D indie games have this primitive look to them...perhaps the developers haven't mastered the engine they're using, thus giving them that stock, bland looking game.

For say, Flash games online, I'm more willing to try in spite of their artsyle since I don't pay upfront for them...but generally, I stick to art styles that draw me in, even for those free Flash games

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A bad artstyle can be a huge barrier to entry for me.

HOWEVER..

I can't really think of a game that actually had good gameplay, but had a terrible enough artstyle to prevent me from playing.

It's sorta like anime in that regard. For example, I really hate the art style of One Piece, but the series is enjoyable enough that I can look past it.

I'm typically open minded about this type of thing, but I'll never touch Splatoon due to the art style. Looks way too intended for children IMO.

Jacqli

Yes, without a doubt. I cannot stand furry style at all (like Freedom Planet or Dust). I do not mind playing games with animals as main characters (I adore Sam and Max and want to play Ratchet on PS4), but there is like a thin line separating what I can bear and what I dislike. Even though I miss games like solatorobo (it has good reviews I think?), I cannot bring myself to change this aspect and just try to enjoy all games.

Also, I read Binding of Isaac above. I agree completely, the game might be good, but the art style is not my cup of tea. In addition to this one, Prison Architect (and games with similar or equal art style) fits in this category for me. I like Theme Hospital and such, but this game is simply ugly (and the management aspect was not that good TBH).

NinjaBoiX

You have no idea what you're talking about if that's what you think Clannad is like. Jesus Christ.

You have absolutely zero fucking idea what you are talking about. Not even a monkey would make a miss like this.
I just skimmed through an LP on YouTube for about 10 minutes and minus the panty flashing it's pretty much exactly what I thought it'd be like.

It's the incredibly original story of a Japanese high school student and his attempts to woo various pre-pubescent, saucer eyed little girls with self-esteem issues and the voice of a toddler.

Oh, and they make those vaguely sexual sighs and whimpers all the time that isn't at all creepy and inappropriate.

Sorry if you heart this game but that's exactly what I expected from the art style and that's exactly what I got.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I do it, when I know I shouldn't.

Pixel art games are currently on auto-ignore.

Super over the top fanservise panty flashing anime type stuff is as well.

II do agree with OP on the medieval stuff, as it can be extremely bland if not handled correctly.

EVOL 100%

Mass Effect, Bethesda games and Mortal Kombat.

I don't mind characters looking ugly, but the characters in those games just look.. off. It's incredibly off-putting.

I doubt that I'd get an real enjoyment out of those series at this point anyway, and I hated every Bethesda game I played so it's not a big loss though

Aaron D.

When a game looks like this,
header.jpg

yes.

Ironically, I'm strongly considering picking this up as it's on sale this week.

I wouldn't normally reach for this title as I'm pretty adverse to anime in general, but I've recently dabbled in VN's successfully with Steins; Gate. Further genre research informed me that Clannad is widely considered one of the original groundbreaking hits in the genre. Making it an essential experience for VN fans.

In that regard, I'm willing to bend my typical prejudices for a moment. I guess that's how I break into many new experiences. Just by giving it a chance despite initial apprehensions.

I mean, it's not easy or anything. There is a holding your breath and jumping off moment. And it's not guaranteed to pay off. But it's pretty sweet when it does. Some of the most dramatic examples in my case being Farming Simulator and Crusader Kings.

Battlechili

Banned
If a game tries too hard to look like real life I lose interest.
FFXV, The Witcher 3, and MGSV all did this to me for example. The last I've played and found other issues with, but one reason I'm not enthusastic about these games or have a strong desire to play them is because they try to emulate real life. Real life is boring. The one exception to this for me is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I'm not sure exactly why.

On the other side of things, if a game has furry or anime art I am more likely to be interested in it on that alone
Dust: An Elysian Tail
It looks like furry fetish art from DeviantArt or Tumblr.
Can't deal with that.
I get physically ill when I look at Dust An Elysian Tale.. so yes.
DUST: An Elysian Tail. I just can't over the furry artsyle.
just dust
The background art tho
And they seem to have someone else for World Next Order... But they draw so similar to Yasuda that it's honestly just as bad lmao. Awful.
Pls be nice to my favorite Japanese anime artist. Yasuda's art fits modern edgy games perfectly. While his work on Digimon doesn't quite make sense, I thought he was the perfect man for the job for Devil Survivor.

PaulloDEC

I don't think I've ever skipped a game on art alone, but there's definitely well-regarded titles where the art contributed to my disinterest.

I'm certain there's loads of really interesting Japanese games I'd enjoy that never caught my eye because they're packing generic anime art.

Not really. The Darksiders games have an awful art style, but I still played the first one. That's the game that sticks out off the top of my head.
I also don't hate anime aesthetics either. I don't love it either, but I don't hold a bias against it. I don't mind cartoony, I don't mind realistic.
A game's a game.

The only thing I may have a bias of any kind are 8 bit indie games. I don't like how they look and I don't like them as games either. All the ones I've tried arent very good, so I just skip them now. That's about it.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Not generally. There have been a couple of instances but they were games that truly looked like straight up garbage e.g. some obscure indie game or visual novel that came through Steam Greenlight and ended up being purchased by 6 people. Never any *cough* legitimate game that I can remember. On the other hand, there have been plenty where the art direction made me want to play them more than I normally would (off the top of my head: Bastion, Ori and the Blind Forest, Fly'N, Axiom Verge, Hardland, and anything isometric that reminds me of the Infinity Engine games, such as Pillars of Eternity).

psyfi

Banned
Yeah of course, usually games that are trying too hard to seem dark / edgy. Or games that go a little too hard on the anime aesthetic. There's good anime, and then there's corny "why do their eyes look like that" anime. It's important to be discerning.

meerak

Dunno what you mean by "dismissal" but in a world with so many games to play and no easy way to demo them, narrowing down the games I may or may not play based on visuals makes sense to me. It's just another facet, along with gameplay style, price, etc that you can use to make a decision.

vaporeon

I don't touch any video game with character designs by Suzuhito Yasuda. Sometimes I want to play Devil Survivor, but I just simply cannot get past his artwork. Don't know why he still gets hired as a character designer when a fourteen year old DeviantArt could probably make something better. Please give that man a damn anatomy book.

Battlechili

Banned
I don't touch any video game with character designs by Suzuhito Yasuda. Sometimes I want to play Devil Survivor, but I just simply cannot get past his artwork. Don't know why he still gets hired as a character designer when a fourteen year old DeviantArt could probably make something better. Please give that man a damn anatomy book.
Please give me an artist's explanation of how exactly his art is poor proportionally. I can't see it.

nkarafo

Yes, i reject every anime inspired game because i can't stand them.

I also reject many indies because they try so hard having a style but most of them lack subtlety. Or the art style is just bad.

The Gears of War/Darksiders chunky art style is also bad.

Yeah, i'm very demanding when it comes to what games i play, thus i miss many games that might have good gameplay.

necrosis

not entirely because of their artstyles, no. people doing so is something that has bothered going back at least to the wind waker; the idea of dismissing a potentially excellent game purely because of xenophobia or what have you has always struck me as dumb

Vibed

Occassionally, I'll be very put off from playing a game, but I'll still try to enjoy it for what it is. Can't think of many examples, but some broad strokes:

-Extremely dark, gritty, macho (Warhammer 40K, Darksiders)
-Overt Uncanny valley
-Extremely poor or generic anime styles (screams dime a dozen, however if it's smooth and cute, I like it)
-Cheap flash like looks, oftentimes those with lots of gradients

In regards to the last one, its an instant turnoff if it's that combined with very lazy, basic text and plain UI. Example being most mobile ports like of FF.

Generally, I'm good with a lot of art styles and will push through it even if I don't like it a lot, but if the art style is bad, I'm much more likely be feel either bored or slightly repulsed. Art like Dark Souls doesn't jump out at me, but I can recognize it's good for what it is. I love stylized and cartoony art, so Nintendo's always been the most visually appealing.

bounchfx

for the most part I only do this when it's super hyper inflated boobs pander to manchildren anime. you know the ones, they all look exactly the fucking same and are all over steam.

Goldboy

Just saw a post here that reminded me that Darksiders is another game I will never play because of the art style. Definitely not for me.

Top Bottom