• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider web developers or coders in general engineers?

I see a lot of jobs give out developers titles like software engineers, front end engineers, back end engineer etc. I don't agree. I don't consider those engineering. You telling me creating a website display is same as a mechanial engineer designing a heat sink unit? Or electical engineer working on robotics? I consider software engineers working on AI or machine learning engineers sure. But I don't consider front end or backend developers engineers. I think the title gets thrown around too easy these days. Most real engineers need FE exams to get a job no? and can pursue PE for higher position. I find it silly to hear app developer or coders calling themselves engineers and some of the get mad if you call them a developer.

I'm an electrical engineer. I spend 80% of my day analyzing/writing code. The other 20% I study circuit topologies and how they relate to test code. Am I considered a general engineer still?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't, but I don't work in the field so i'm not sure of the correct terminology.

The word 'engineer' evokes a very different kind of field in my mind.

entremet

Software Engineer is not the same thing as a programmer or web developer.

It depends on the company. Many times all those terms can be used interchangeable on jobs. That's why reading the job spec is the most important. Rule of thumb for all jobs really.

Massicot

Most real engineers need FE exams to get a job no?

Only really true in the civil sector these days. Lots of materials/process/electrical/mechanical engineers don't really need Licensure unless they work directly or indirectly with the government or government projects.

Edit: In the US.

and HVAC engineers are just folks that spin duct-sizing wheels all day.

A lot of people got the degree, not all of them are material testing scientists. It's a large field.

Daffy Duck

I'm a web developer/designer and no I don't consider myself and engineer or would I consider anyone else an engineer in the field.

jfkgoblue

It depends on the company. Many times all those terms can be used interchangeable on jobs. That's why reading the job spec is the most important. Rule of thumb for all jobs really.
Here's the test: did you graduate from a college of engineering or a college of applied sciences?

Gallbaro

Banned
As someone who employs both engineers and developers. They are similar but people who do programming operate under a very different process than engineers.

Not to detract from the ability of either.

Personally I see it as the difference between a coder who designs a solution to make something work, and a coder who designs a solution to make something work, but also focuses on maintainability, simplicity of use and that properly handles all kinds of possible failure conditions.

I'd have no problem calling the latter a software engineer. Purely a subjective take on it anyway.

As someone who employs both engineers and developers. They are similar but people who do programming operate under a very different process than engineers.

Not to detract from the ability of either.
Exactly my point they are so different. But yet given similar title.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IT guys, sysadmins, and programmers (whether front-end, back-end, or """full stack""""), UI designers, app developers, and many other categories can be engineers or they can be mechanics. Depends on the project and talent of the individual, and many projects and people are both. The same is true of many professional engineers.

The need to constantly make a distinction seems to be borne out of insecurity and vanity on the part of engineers.

Clarify. In EE almost none of us get our PE because it's unnecessary.

You have FE?

Personally I see it as the difference between a coder who designs a solution to make something work, and a coder who designs a solution to makes something work, but also focuses on maintainability, simplicity of use and that properly handles all kinds of possible failure conditions.

I'd have no problem calling the latter a software engineer. Purely a subjective take on it anyway.

I agree with you.

GHG

Gold Member
Personally I see it as the difference between a coder who designs a solution to make something work, and a coder who designs a solution to makes something work, but also focuses on maintainability, simplicity of use and that properly handles all kinds of possible failure conditions.

The latter is what a lot of web developers struggle with.

So the answer to the question is "it depends".

Zoe

Clarify. In EE almost none of us get our PE because it's unnecessary.
In Texas, you either need a license or be under direct supervision of a licensed engineer to call yourself one.

That companies get away with it is a fault of enforcement, not the spirit of the law.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yes, it is absolutely engineering. While they're similar, software engineering is a distinctly different field when compared to computer science. Universities have higher requirements to get into software engineering programs than computer science programs. It's just that the "software engineer" name has been watered down by buzzword job titles that try to slap the word "engineer" on everything.

Software engineering is about designing the overall architecture of software, along with how it's produced. It designs software modules, how those modules interact with each other, how to produce them, and how to do everything in a way that's efficient, easy to maintain, and minimizes risk. It is absolutely engineering, even if it's not creating something tangible like a mechanical engineer.

Complicated software has components and modules that interact with each other, much like mechanical parts.

FyreWulff

i think there's a specific reason why architectural engineers need licensing and why software engineers and train engineers only need training

see if you can figure it out

Yes, it is absolutely engineering. While they're similar, software engineering is a distinctly different field when compared to computer science. It's just that the "software engineer" name has been watered down by buzzword job titles that try to slap the word "engineer" on everything.

Software engineering is about designing the overall architecture of software, along with how it's produced. It designs software modules, how those modules interact with each other, how to produce them, and how to do everything in ways that are efficient while mitigating possible risks that may come from its design. It is absolutely engineering, even if it's not creating anything tangible like a mechanical engineer.

Complicated software has components and modules that interact with each other in complicated ways, much like any mechanical parts.
Of course what you describe is a real software engineer. I agree with you. I am talking about jobs giving the engineer title to people doing front end stuff like JavaScript, html and CSS. And just writing code.

jfkgoblue

In Texas, you either need a license or be under direct supervision of a licensed engineer to call yourself one.

That companies get away with it is a fault of enforcement, not the spirit of the law.
Well in Ohio and Michigan, you can't even take the PE until 4 years after graduation. Hardly anyone gets a PE license any more.

Roubjon

Of course what you describe is a real software engineer. I agree with you. I am talking about jobs giving the engineer title to people doing front end stuff like JavaScript, html and CSS. And just writing code.

I'd call those people Web Developers.

Anyone who doesn't operate siege weaponry is not a real engineer.

Yes software engineering is a real thing. But just because you can code and/or make a website that doesn't make you an engineer. University educated engineers take applied science courses, advanced mathematics and have advanced problem solving skills.

jfkgoblue

Yes, it is absolutely engineering. While they're similar, software engineering is a distinctly different field when compared to computer science. Universities have higher requirements to get into software engineering programs than computer science programs. It's just that the "software engineer" name has been watered down by buzzword job titles that try to slap the word "engineer" on everything.

Software engineering is about designing the overall architecture of software, along with how it's produced. It designs software modules, how those modules interact with each other, how to produce them, and how to do everything in a way that's efficient, easy to maintain, and minimizes risk. It is absolutely engineering, even if it's not creating something tangible like a mechanical engineer.

Complicated software has components and modules that interact with each other, much like mechanical parts.
I think you are agreeing with the OP without realizing it.

Massicot

Well in Ohio and Michigan, you can't even take the PE until 4 years after graduation. Hardly anyone gets a PE license any more.

When I started my career out of school, I was interested in going for my PE, but I couldn't even find a PE I knew well enough from 3 previous locations (Iowa, Georgia, New Mexico) to act as the necessary licensed reference on my application. I agree that it seems like a very niche thing in specific engineering fields that benefits you extremely little.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Exactly what I am saying.

1. I suspect this misnaming of job titles is not as severe as you seem to think.

2. I also suspect those "Web Developers" deal with backend processes and interacting systems much more than you realize.

3. Agile methodology wants people to be able to work the full stack, one day they are working front end, the other day they are working the backend. Getting hired just for HTML or Javascript is going to go away soon.

i think there's a specific reason why architectural engineers need licensing and why software engineers and train engineers only need training

see if you can figure it out

I would argue there should be licencing in place for developers working in the financial sector, medical systems, machine code, etc.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
1. I suspect this misnaming of job titles is not as severe as you seem to think.

2. I also suspect those "Web Developers" deal with backend processes and interacting systems much more then you realize.

Nah it absolutely is. It's not unique to software development though. You get all sorts of mechanics and techniicans having titles like Gas engineer etc without anywhere near the same licensing and training. It's a fact of the title.

Top Bottom