• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you expect Pokémon remakes on Switch or just Virtual Console?

Could do either way. I'm sure The Pokémon Company keeps close records of how well each gen did based on the game reception, anime/movie numbers and merchandising. If I recall correctly the first two gens sold the most by quite a margin. Gen 3 must have done enough to justify the time investment evidently, but there's probably going to be a point where TPC might just stop bothering, or remake one of the earlier generations again. Perhaps someone can get some numbers up in here so we can clearly see the trajectory.

For me a remake of a Pokémon game is mostly going to be targeting my nostalgia for the locations and gym leaders, as the Pokémon themselves can easily resurface in each region without too much of a fuss.

Zalman

Could do either way. I'm sure The Pokémon Company keeps close records of how well each gen did based on the game reception, anime/movie numbers and merchandising. If I recall correctly the first two gens sold the most by quite a margin. Gen 3 must have done enough to justify the time investment evidently, but there's probably going to be a point where TPC might just stop bothering, or remake one of the earlier generations again. Perhaps someone can get some numbers up in here so we can clearly see the trajectory.

For me a remake of a Pokémon game is mostly going to be targeting my nostalgia for the locations and gym leaders, as the Pokémon themselves can easily resurface in each region without too much of a fuss.
ORAS actually sold more than HGSS despite everything. You can argue it's because there was no new game the following year, but that's still impressive numbers.

Every Pokémon game is someone's first. I expect them to keep the remake train going.

dyreschlock

These already got remade. I like gen 1 and 2 too but we don't need remakes of remakes.

Yes, I agree.

These days, what would a remake of Red and Blue actually be? Would it be completely simple with only the original 151 Pokemon (until post game) and ignore everything that Pokemon has become? Or would it have all the modern convenience of current Pokemon, and no longer be the simple adventure that began it all? Much like the 20th Anniversary Movie, do we ditch Misty and Brock in favor of modern characters?

I don’t think either solution really works. I think it would feel weird having all the modern stuff in the original Red and Blue. Likewise, playing a new Pokemon game without all the modern stuff would also feel weird. A simple remake would not be enough.

I think Gen VII found a great balance between modern and classic, by having people from the Kanto region move to a new area, and show the regional effects it has on those original Pokemon, too. It makes way more in-world sense than the Mega Stones introduced in Gen VI.

Rather than having a direct remake of Red and Blue, maybe a better solution would be a sequel set in Kanto showing how Kanto has changed over the last 20 years. Then you could have Kanto regional forms of Pokemon from the other games.

Cerium

Instead of a remake I would like to see

Red 2 and Blue 2

Open world Kanto at last! New storyline, set after Gold and Silver (maybe long after), with familiar locations now rendered in complex 3D.

Rather than having a direct remake of Red and Blue, maybe a better solution would be a sequel set in Kanto showing how Kanto has changed over the last 20 years. Then you could have Kanto regional forms of Pokemon from the other games.

Oh wow you beat me.

spad3

I fully expect the 4th Gen remakes to be on Switch.

What I would like to see in the remakes:

Names: Shattered Diamond // Fractured Pearl

Lore:

Player has to stop Team Galactic, who is trying to control Time/Space but fails during their attempt, causing Dialga/Palkia to change form. Player then has to go around Sinnoh using tech stolen from Team Galactic to contain these Time/Space ruptures. Each rupture would have to be entered and would have a puzzle specific to each cover legendary: Timed puzzles for Dialga, mind-bender/perspective puzzles for Palkia. Gyms and Elite Four still exist, E4 not accessible until after Galactic story is completed.

Legendaries:

Due to Team Galactic's failed attempt to control Time/Space by trying to force Dialga/Palkia out of their realm, they fail regulating the energy field that creates the portal to pull the legendaries out, causing the legendary to overload with dimensional energy and break past their normal limits, causing Dialga/Palkia to get new forms: Shattered Dialga form and a Fractured Palkia form.

The forms change their respective types from Steel/Dragon // Water/Dragon into Steel/Psychic // Water/Psychic. However, to change up the usual style of gameplay, each get an ability that gives them the benefits of Dragon type (Broken Epoch // Splintered Void), making them essentially the first 3-type Pokemon (meaning they get STAB for all 3 types and weaknesses for all 3 types), and their signature moves get beefed up versions:

Roar of Time >> Time Fracture (Dragon) - Knocking out an opponent with this attack resets to your turn, entirely ignoring opponent priority status (abilities and all) and negates the next opponent's priority moves (including moves like protect/detect). This move is also treated as a Steel type.

Spacial Rend >> Space Shatter (Dragon) - Knocking out an opponent with this attack calls out a random Pokemon from your opponent's party, entirely skipping over the selection phase. Pokemon that got dragged out loses 1/8th total HP upon entry. This move is also treated as a Water type.

Arceus:

In turn, Arceus available in-game and gets a new form showcasing its 1000 arms. Arceus Creator Form. Arceus curls into itself and the ring around its waist detaches and turns into this aura that has the same protrusions as the physical ring and spins around the balled-up Arceus. The spinning aura gives the illusion that Arceus has 1000 arms. Arceus Creator Form loses weaknesses to every type, but also loses STAB for balancing purposes. Arceus only accessible when Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie are in party.

Post-game:

Post-game has Player going to 2 different realms: The Distortion World for Giratina and The Nightmare Realm for Darkrai. Distortion World should have a puzzle to reach Giratina, but the puzzle is based off a mechanic that relates to the opposite version's legendary. I.E In FD version you have to do a MC-Escher style mind-bending puzzle that relates to Distortion of Space, while in SP version you have to do a puzzle within a certain Time Limit that randomizes every time you fail/have to reset. The Nightmare Realm would have a puzzle to get to Darkrai as well, except the puzzles would be the same for both versions, it would just take mechanics from both. You'd have to do a mind-bending puzzle within a certain time limit or it would reset randomly every time you fail. You NEED to have Dialga/Palkia to enter Distortion World you NEED to have Cresselia to enter Nightmare Realm.

Pokemon:

A ton of gen 4, 5, and 6 get Megas, Lucario gets a second Mega since he's a poster-child for gen 4 and is hyper popular. All gen 4 and 5 starters get Megas.

That's a fairly comprehensive wishlist I would like to see. Even ONE aspect of the above listed would be awesome.

JoeM86

My hope is they allow Niantic to make the battle system more complex (instead of just click spamming) and let you import and export Pokemon you get from playing Pokemon Go into the main games and vice versa.

Niantic didn't make the battle system how it is because it's what TPC told them to do.

Also there is planned connectivity between main games and GO, but it seems it'll be one way, and rightfully so.

Top Bottom