• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony will make any more Demon's Souls games?

sublimit

Banned
From isn't the only dev capable of making good games, you know.

I don't think From would be too happy to see Sony capitalize on their creation without them and Sony wouldn't want to ruin their relations with From.
Regardless if the game may turn out good or bad i wouldn't want Sony to do it without From.

Alebrije

FROM involved on a new DeS game would be the best but there are a lot of capable teams that could deliver a good game.

I also feel both franchises can coexist even if they share some towns, names , magics , art style or gameplay mechanic.

I don't think From would be too happy to see Sony capitalize on their creation without them and Sony wouldn't want to ruin their relations with From.
Regardless if the game may turn out good or bad i wouldn't want Sony to do it without From.

I don't think there'd be much issue. From chose to rename the series slightly in order to go multiplat, there's nothing wrong with Sony using an IP that they own and helped create, especially if Miyazaki is involved. Sony didn't try blocking Dark Souls development so I don't think they'd have much of a problem with Sony if they pursued a DeS2.

sublimit

Banned
I don't think there'd be much issue. From chose to rename the series slightly in order to go multiplat, there's nothing wrong with Sony using an IP that they own and helped create, especially if Miyazaki is involved. Sony didn't try blocking Dark Souls development so I don't think they'd have much of a problem with Sony if they pursued a DeS2.

If Miyazaki is on board then obviously it means they have the ok of From Software themselves.If Sony goes and develop it on their own without asking From (while also directly competing with Dark Souls) then...i don't know.

tumblr_lz06vhI33T1qb4wgxo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_lif1kiYgJJ1qae6ufo1_500.gif

I...believe.

The fact that people are saying they're ok with a totally different team doing this game because Sony basically made them leave tells me they literally give zero fucks about the actual quality of the game and are completely buying into the branding. I mean ffs people are excited about the possible announcement before we have even gotten Dark Souls 2!

I love how with any other medium people consider this shit to be milking a franchise stupidly but in videogames it's totally ok to throw out everyone who was vital to making something what it is because we gotta have more of it.

Also lmao at anyone implying Sony would ask From if it's "ok". It's not like From is in a position where they could say "oh please don't do that or we won't release the game on Playstation". And if you think Sony cares beyond that you seriously don't know the history between the two. I will admit the game has a chance if they got Miyazaki on board but I'd be seriously question why he's revisiting Demon's Souls when he could do more both on an artistic and financial level.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is this bizarro world or something? If there is anyone that should be iffy about the whole Demon's/ Dark Souls situation it should be Sony.

Dunno what happened and I am sure that Sony had some fault in it. But isn't it weird that allmost an exact copy of a Sony owned IP, with allmost the same name gets published by a third party developer. Has this kind of thing ever happened before?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know what would be awesome? A new Demon's Souls-like game, but sci-fi. Could be set on a single planet, no need for space travel, but with aliens and weird locations, gadgets, high tech weapons and such, etc. Keep the same dark vibe.

Why would they make another Demon Souls when they have Dark Souls?

Sony owns the Demons Souls IP. The world, the characters within, the storyline, etc. Which is why Dark Souls was created as a " spiritual successor " and not a straight sequel to the game.

Demons Souls had a 6th world, 6th pillar that was rumored to come in either a sequel or DLC but that never panned out.

Dark's gameplay has a lot in common with Demons, but when it comes to the storyline / world / character it is all completely different.

If Miyazaki is on board then obviously it means they have the ok of From Software themselves.If Sony goes and develop it on their own without asking From (while also directly competing with Dark Souls) then...i don't know.

But see, it wouldn't be competing. DeS2 would be on PS4, Dark Souls is on current gen/PC. Both can co-exist.

Why would they make another Demon Souls when they have Dark Souls?

Because they can make both?

What do you suggest the other staff members within FROM do while Dark Souls 2 is being made? Sit around and twiddle their thumbs?

If Sony came to them with the idea of collaborating on a ps4 title using the Demon's Souls IP or something new, why would they decline? Getting an early next gen title is a tremendous opportunity for a studio like FROM. Their name has already gotten bigger this gen, this would increase their clout even further.

For now...

Even if it's ported, it's still a last gen game made for last gen specifications. It wouldn't be comparable.

You know what would be awesome? A new Demon's Souls-like game, but sci-fi. Could be set on a single planet, no need for space travel, but with aliens and weird locations, gadgets, high tech weapons and such, etc. Keep the same dark vibe.
This. So, so this.

I'm salivating just attempting to imagine what From's vision of a dark future would look like. But regardless of the setting, From's designers working with SCE's dev pipeline and PS4's power is such an imposing combination - my brain can't even visualize what they'll come up with.

Rad-

Bleh. We already have DaS which is the better series anyways. If Sony wants to partner up with From again I'd much rather want something totally new (I like the scifi idea) or maybe new King's Field.

Raide

I would love to see a Souls game deal with old-school Matchlock rifles and such. Its a shame that the ranged combat is so simplistic in the Souls games.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I would love to see a Souls game deal with old-school Matchlock rifles and such. Its a shame that the ranged combat is so simplistic in the Souls games.

Its because ranged combat is so easy to take advantage of adding in any sort of firearms would increase that a lot more with the damage output.

I mean shit I can carry around a ton of arrows and pathing exploit the AI and chip away at them till they die.

The fact that people are saying they're ok with a totally different team doing this game because Sony basically made them leave tells me they literally give zero fucks about the actual quality of the game and are completely buying into the branding. I mean ffs people are excited about the possible announcement before we have even gotten Dark Souls 2!

I love how with any other medium people consider this shit to be milking a franchise stupidly but in videogames it's totally ok to throw out everyone who was vital to making something what it is because we gotta have more of it.

Also lmao at anyone implying Sony would ask From if it's "ok". It's not like From is in a position where they could say "oh please don't do that or we won't release the game on Playstation". And if you think Sony cares beyond that you seriously don't know the history between the two. I will admit the game has a chance if they got Miyazaki on board but I'd be seriously question why he's revisiting Demon's Souls when he could do more both on an artistic and financial level.

This post tells me you have no idea what your talking about.

Raide

Its because ranged combat is so easy to take advantage of adding in any sort of firearms would increase that a lot more with the damage output.

I mean shit I can carry around a ton of arrows and pathing exploit the AI and chip away at them till they die.

That is the main thing that can make Souls a bit cheesy. There must be something they can do to stop players exploiting that. Actually, the aggressive mod kinda does that since enemies don't stand around waiting to be shot.

He's referring to your assumption that From has nothing to do with this rumored DeS2.

If the insiders are to be believed, DeS2 will be a joint project between SCEJ and From, just like the original game.

I pretty clearly stated I'm referring to people actually talking about possibly straight up replacing the team.

Also this idea that there are so many dark souls team members that they would be making both dark and demon's souls is kinda baffling to me as well but that's not even the point I was making with that post.

I think, as is standard in other mediums like music and film, people are excited by another group of people studying and revisiting someone else's work.

Why would Miyazaki not want to work on a high-budget, next-gen, title? One that'll receive an inordinate amount of attention for no reason other than it's Souls next outing on a next-gen platform.

No reason.

People thinking developers are impervious to the allure of next-generation titles is ridiculous. Even early last year, getting people to move to studios working on current gen projects was a challenge.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Initially it was crap. The build he played isn't what shipped to you and me.

Just a FYI, Demon's Souls, and by extension Dark Souls, wouldn't exist without Sony. Yes, it was Sony's idea, not From's.

I see King's Field doesnt exist anymore.

Orayn

Demon's Souls probably wouldn't have happened without Takeshi Kajii's approaching From about making a spiritual successor to King's Field. From Software may or may not have revisited medieval fantasy games without him, but it's unlikely they would have made Demon's Souls as we know it.

And to be fair on a very fundamental, mechanical level they differ immensely. And the brilliance of Demon's Souls was equally about it's online integration and base mechanics.

Not to justify one way or another. I agree From is familiar with dark-medieval RPGs.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Demon's Souls probably wouldn't have happened without Takeshi Kajii's approaching From about making a spiritual successor to King's Field. From Software may or may not have revisited medieval fantasy games without him, but it's unlikely they would have made Demon's Souls as we know it.

And I guess it might have been a one game thing if Atlus hadnt had the foresight to bring it to western shores.

Yes just say that without even sorta backing it up, From just went multiplat for shits and giggles.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/335628/sony-initially-thought-demons-souls-was-crap/

Oh wait ahahahahahahaha.

Once again you have shown your lack of knowledge on the subject. The reason Souls went Mp was because NB was publishing presumably due to Sony not. Therefore since Sony owns DeS IP they changed it to DkS.

According to lead director Hidetaka Miyazaki, before the start of the two-year development period,the studio had previously ruled out the following game to be a new installment in the King's Field series.Instead SCEJ producer Takeshi Kajii described the game as a "spiritual successor" to King's Field,where he stated "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too," explaining the development choice as an opportunity to be more creative and potentially innovative, stating "If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new."Besides King's Field, Kajii also mentioned fantasy-themed gamebooks such as Fighting Fantasy and Titan as inspiration for many location and character designs.The style of characters such as the "Adjudicator" boss took some influences from pagan folklore, yet rather than exactly deriving from other designs, the process involved "mixing a couple of images of primitive gods together" to create a "raw concept" with "an unusual and chaotic feel.

Souls exists because of SCEJ's hands in the development of a title that was meant to be another KF game.

And I guess it might have been a one game thing if Atlus hadnt had the foresight to bring it to western shores.

Yup.

What if Miyazaki is actually making King's Field V, complete with support for Sony's Oculus Rift-like device on which they are rumored to be working ?

There better be. The Souls games were the best thing about last generation.

It was the union of Japan Studio and From Software that allowed the first game to be.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
From what I've read, Demon's fans are the most accurate and honest when discussing the game's weaknesses and problems, hence why I completely stay away from the Dark Souls' fanbase. You can't properly speak to most of them about the game's design problems; to them the game is perfect when it is clearly flawed in so many ways.

I'll play Demon's Souls soon enough in order to emit a judgment.

Any design problems in Dark are also probably present in Demon's. Particularly the brokenness of magic in both games.

Kieli

I'm actually quite fine with From or Sony making another Demon's Souls game as long as they call it "Dark Souls 3".

totes srs

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think Sony would be crazy to pass up on what would be the only true next gen console Souls game, so long as it was done right.

It's a huge ip for them, and letting it collect dust would be a complete waste. But as I said before it HAS to be done right. A quick cash in will completely kill the ip. They've got one shot at it in my eyes.

Once again you have shown your lack of knowledge on the subject. The reason Souls went Mp was because NB was publishing presumably due to Sony not. Therefore since Sony owns DeS IP they changed it to DkS.

How does that...conflict with anything I said? Namco treated them better than Sony did.

Top Bottom