• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want exclusives for Scorpio?

I don't really care personally but i would find that interesting and amusing if Microsoft surprised everyone with the Scorpio being more a new XBOX with full compatibility with the one, than an upgraded one. Cause they would be like "Hey Sony you thought we were doing the same as you but BAM, next gen is now, what do you do now ??"
This is along my line of thinking as well.
It would be a pretty dumb move by Microsoft to have games exclusive to the Scorpio... so yeah, there probably will be.
You may actually be onto something.. Microsoft the new Nintendo? When's the NX (Nintendo Xbox)?

It won't be that way. They will for sure have titles that they debut at E3 or after that are launch titles for the Scorpio, but they will also have xbone versions. Probably one purchase that is scalable across Scorpio, xbone and also PC with play anywhere. To me it's fairly obvious that is the direction they are heading.

So I do think Scorpio is a new gen, just their games model has changed to a play anywhere model (PC/Scorpio/xbone).

I do want them, but I don't expect them.

I'm expecting something like this:
Scorpio games will support XB1
Scorpio 2's games will support Scorpio
Scorpio 3's games will support Scorpio 2

Sort of like mobile games. I can play brand new games an older model iPhone, but they might not run as well. Some newer games won't play if you're more than a generation or two behind. Hell some indie game with simplistic graphics could come out for the Scorpio 5 and still work on XB1 because it's just not that demanding.

I have to imagine the only way a Scorpio exclusive would happen would be if/when the XB1 just straight up can't run it.

Really though, as long as developers are taking full advantage of Scorpio then I'm not bothered either way.

Roboculus

I think the Scorpio definitely needs some exclusives if Microsoft wants anybody to buy the thing.

A decent number of people have already bought a PS4 Pro and Sony barely marketed it. There is definitely an audience for these kinds of mid-gen consoles. It's not gonna make up the majority of the install base but it should be big enough to justify their existence.

Nameless

No and I don't expect them. Scorpio is a mid-generation upgrade of Xbox One, not a next generation console.

Yup. Obviously there will be stuff with Microsoft's inevitable VR solution/partnership that will require a Scorpio, but the loophole there is clear.

If this happens, it's either New 3DS with a handful of exclusives that do nothing but will probably piss off the fanbase, or a lot of exclusives that basically mean this is a new console that will probably also piss off the fanbase.

And I don't know which of the two is the worse case scenario.

So, no, I don't want exclusives. For how many PS4 Pro versions there are with varying quality, I prefer that approach.

Breakage

Regardless of power, Scorpio's just a machine that enhances X1 games. Unless MS are bold enough to break away from the X1 platform I don't see exclusives happening.

I don't really care personally but i would find that interesting and amusing if Microsoft surprised everyone with the Scorpio being more a new XBOX with full compatibility with the one, than an upgraded one. Cause they would be like "Hey Sony you thought we were doing the same as you but BAM, next gen is now, what do you do now ??"

As funny as it would be, it would backfire massively. Every single pub will be building with PS4's nearing 70 million install base, while Scorpio would be starting from an install base of zero.

Mr T.

Banned
Nope, not while the Xbox One is still being supported. After supporting MS since the original Xbox they have done nothing but irritate me this generation. Their exclusives are the same games I've played for a decade and their new IP's are forgettable or cancelled.

I'd be okay if they started making Scorpio exclusives once the next consoles launches. However, if they start releasing 2018 exclusive Scorpio games I probably will stop supporting them and just move to PC. It would be cheaper.

KORNdoggy

It needs them if anyone really wants to see a console 6 times (or however many) more powerful than the original xbox one. Otherwise those 6 tflops will be put into 4k native res and a marginal graphical boost if that...much like the PRO, it's a complete waste of resources.

Yes I would like to see games not holding back anything but I understand it would be bad for MS, so better if they don't.
VR games are going to be scorpio exclusive.

Bobnob

It annoys me tho that games like forza will be held back by X1 always aiming for 1080 60 so the scorpio version might only be a visual upgrade rather than having better physics,dynamic weather,tyre degregation* etc

BouncyFrag

I'd rather it have a lot of updates for already released titles, especially 3rd party ones as well as further optimization for backwards compatible games.

Raven77

I most definitely do. I barely touch my X1 cause I have little reason to owning a ps4. I want the xbox Scorpio to have some incredible exclusives that go far beyond what PlayStation pro can do.

It's going to have exclusives, from a business standpoint it simply has to. Way too much invested in it. It is not a somewhat minor bump in power like the pro. They need people buying it in droves for years, not for just the first few months. Microsoft is watching pro sales numbers like a hawk and I doubt they are impressed. It's selling well but it's very competitively priced and priced far lower than we've been lead to believe the Scorpio will cost. If the pro barely moves more units than xbox then the Scorpio, if viewed in the same light as the pro - an incremental upgrade - won't stand a chance.

Just speculation...

Apathy

Yes and we're probably going to see them actually.

They are so far behind right now that the scorpio on it's own is not going to do anything to that. You can't go "hey it's stronger but the same games that are on the one will be on here". The larger consumer base won't understand it as just as a mid get bump to the specs, they would expect the new thing to do new things.

They will start with "hey every game has to be downwards compatible" but at some point one of their big guns is going to need the extra power that the scorpio can bring that the one just can't and they'll give them a pass and then more will want to as well.

You also gotta realize that the next iteration of the playstation will probably hit in '19 or '20, so is MS going to match them? can they really go "hey you paid a premium for this new box 2 years ago, we're doing it again in '19" just to keep pace with sony that soon after?

zeexlash

Hope they do, since I'll be buying the thing.

Might not go down well with people who only own the original Xbox One though..

ironmang

They are so far behind right now that the scorpio on it's own is not going to do anything to that. You can't go "hey it's stronger but the same games that are on the one will be on here". The larger consumer base won't understand it as just as a mid get bump to the specs, they would expect the new thing to do new things.

They will start with "hey every game has to be downwards compatible" but at some point one of their big guns is going to need the extra power that the scorpio can bring that the one just can't and they'll give them a pass and then more will want to as well.

You also gotta realize that the next iteration of the playstation will probably hit in '19 or '20, so is MS going to match them? can they really go "hey you paid a premium for this new box 2 years ago, we're doing it again in '19" just to keep pace with sony that soon after?

They're still doing well though, right? I guess they could always be doing better but with 360 and X1 they seem to be always moving along at a good pace.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Yes. I fear that the Scorpio will be an XBO with 4K resolution because it's tied to XBO and can't have exclusive games. That's not what I want.

Raven77

Fantastic post. The business reasons are there and they will not be ignored. Expect exclusives.

I don't understand why people think tons of gamers would be mad. By release time it will have been 4 years...same time between the original xbox and the 360.

It's not a mid gen system. They will change their messaging on this by e3 or during it.

Freeman

Banned
Yes, I just want to see the world burn.

If the PS4 pro had exclusives it would've felt like a slap in the face, I assume X1 owners would feel the same.

I really think having exclusives, especially large scale ones, on a mid generation hardware refresh would be a pretty bad idea and bad PR for Microsoft.

Purest 78

That ship has sailed MS should have started their new Generation with Scorpio. Holding it back with the X1 wasn't smart imo.

Fantastic post. The business reasons are there and they will not be ignored. Expect exclusives.

I don't understand why people think tons of gamers would be mad. By release time it will have been 4 years...same time between the original xbox and the 360.

Unlike original Xbox, people were just convinced this holiday to buy an S on the promise from their execs that the Scorpio won't have exclusives.

I could see a lot owners finding that to be a slap in the face for them to go back on that so fast.

It's not a mid gen system. They will change their messaging on this by e3 or during it.
Not saying I'd like that as an XB1 owner (I wouldn't), but I do wonder about the ramifications of a new Xbox in 2017, ie. If Sony will start ramping up PS5 to be released sooner--and maybe two years after PS4 Pro--or if they'll hold off anyway, as they of course are the only ones who can say when a new generation starts :p
(Edit: This is assuming they weren't going to have a PS5 by holiday '18 anyway, which I think makes sense)

Battlechili

Banned
I don't think exclusives benefit anyone, so no. Not even the benefit of being able to make fancier games is worth it. Just allow the game to run worse on lower end hardware and let customers know that so they can decide how to play the game based on their own options available to them.

AmyS

I don't think exclusives benefit anyone, so no. Not even the benefit of being able to make fancier games is worth it. Just allow the game to run worse on lower end hardware and let customers know that so they can decide how to play the game based on their own options available to them.

I agree, exclusives aren't going to benefit anyone. Every game you can play on Scorpio will also be playable on Xbox One (and Xbox One S). People have the option of playing Xbox games at their best on Scorpio and Microsoft ought not to confuse that issue.

Scorpio exclusives that don't appear on the standard Xbox One that aren't VR games would be a highly effective way of trashing the Xbox brand.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep

PC and Scorpio should be the way it is.

When XB1 came out we had cross gen games for quite a long time because of the installed base of 360 users

Why would you have exclusives for Scorpio when the jump in performance is less then 360->XB1 and you'd be losing tinge XB1 users?

With engines being scalable there is no reason not to also support XB1. Maybe they could emphasise or push Scorpio more and accept worse performance on XB1, but I don't see completely exclusive games

Given how some Xbox One exclusives have been selling it would probably be a terrible idea to further limit the audience of who they can sell these games to.

It would only makes sense for scorpio to get exclusive games if MS planned on Sega Saturning' the One and killed it early, starting over with a new console/branding. But that clearly isn't what they are doing.

Top Bottom