• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you work with someone who 1-Ups everyone else?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I currently have two co-workers. All three of us have our personality flaws and issues. One of the two can be a fun person to work with, or a complete tool. He is not the focus of this story. The other preson, I nicknamed 1-Up. He is that person who constantly has a story about what they did in s situation better than someone else, among other ego-centric things. I never hang out with him outside of work, so it would be hard to call him out on all of what sound like B.S., but you get the point.

A) Uber Driver - He began driving for Uber about 3/4 a year ago. Off the bat, according to him, he was the highest earning and highest rated part-time Uber driver in the area. He jokes about the people he meets and places he drives to, and jokes about putting up a cam in his SUV to capture the fun. He hasn't to date, which means he likely won't either because he just hasn't or because the stories are made up. I do believe he earns some decent money at it though.

B) Brewmaster - He knows a lot about brewing beer. His friends have home-based brewing set ups in their basements. OK, maybe this is plausable.

C) Grill/Smoke master - He has an amazing grill and smoker. The stuff he smokes falls off the bone and would be award winning if he bothered to enter them in contests.

C) Home Repair guy - He just Googles things and can fix anything. Plumbing, heating, A/C, a roof, his garage, repaving a driveway, for his friends and neighbors.

D) Car repair guy - He can fix almost anything on a car.... or airplane since allegedly he worked at an airport and knew how to work with planes.

E) Can forge Armor - One day, after a particularly long set of stories in which he plowed his driveway better than his neighbors, fixed his roof with no prior experience, replaced some ceiling beams, repaired his furnace and a few other odd mentions I called him out. I said, you know, with all of these things you can do, I imaging you can forge Armor. With a straight face, he actually said he knows how to do that.

F) His Mortgage - He has the best mortgage options.

G) His town - He is "On the board" for his town, and often is the one who needs to provide the intelligent recommendation for any given situation where a resolution is required.

H) His house - It's just better. There are a lot of reasons, but it's just better.

I) His kids - Well, .. y'know.. c'mon. They are top athletes, go do decent (not top) schools, ...etc.

Does anyone else work with this kind of person? Just wondering. He's the first person I've worked with who is this bad. It's amazing. I wonder what it is like to live in his head.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Not bad, OP. I've made better threads than this, though. If you'd like to get some tips, let me know.

Genuinely sorry, couldn't resist.

C) Grill/Smoke master - He has an amazing grill and smoker. The stuff he smokes falls off the bone and would be award winning if he bothered to enter them in contests.

Sounds like he's overcooking his stuff

When I was in plumbing I knew a couple of guys like that. They fell down a pipe and we haven't seen them since.

I know someone who's like this, not that extreme, but yeah, he fits the character

And I used to be like this, not sure if THAT intense, but people confronted me once and I had to stop, it was annoying and really sad tbh

Faiz

Award winning smoked meats do not fall off the bone and he would be laughed out of an actual competition.

There is a phrase in the UK for these people "Elevenrife"

As in "If you say to Tom that you're going to Tenerife for your holiday, he'll say he's going to Elevenrife".

Fucking Mario, just let Luigi have some glory for once.

He did and the result was the best 2D platformer since Super Mario World
PS_WiiU_NewSuperLuigiU_enGB.png

Rick1o1

Yeah I know someone like that. Every time you tell a story about somewhere you've been or something you did, he's been there too. He's seen everything, done everything, knows everything. These people are the worst.

Rookhelm

OP, are all those things from one person?

Good lord....that would drive me nuts

There is a phrase in the UK for these people "Elevenrife"

As in "If you say to Tom that you're going to Tenerife for your holiday, he'll say he's going to Elevenrife".

This is the most british sentence I've ever seen. No idea what this means.

TheTurboFD

yea I know a guy like that. We were friends in high school. He showed me his 2015 WRX and it made me want one so bad that I bought one and modded it to 315AWHP. He then got mad that mines was faster than his and instead of modding his he ended up trading it in and buying a 2016 Dodge Challenger Scat pack for like 40k. Mind you when he traded in his WRX he went upside down and owes more on the challenger than it's worth....

This wasn't uncommon for him as he did it multiple times, if someone had something equal or better than him then he must spend the money to upgrade. He saw I bought a 4k TV so what do you think he did? Spent 2k on a 4k TV.

Darklor01

OP, are all those things from one person?

Good lord....that would drive me nuts

Yep. All from one guy. There's more... but I think the point was made. LOL. .. I mean.. he can fucking forge armor?

As for people that know people that know more than the person I'm talking about, can we arrange a meeting for them. I wonder what would happen if we got them all in a room in conversation with one another?

Darklor01

Previously, I'd known someone who did this, but nowhere near to this degree. I usually came across someone like this who is a hobbyist. For example, someone who has to have the best and most current gaming rig, best 'tuner' car, best sound system, ..etc. I mostly knew those that had to have the best gaming rig.

This guy I work with is some next level kind of braggart.

Quite a few. Knew one that stole money from the workplace and after they found out he was just asked to stop because he was still pretty good at his job. Speaks more about the workplace than him I guess.

Airola

Twist:

The OP think he's better than his coworker because he doesn't 1-up things, so actually the OP is the master 1-upper here :O

Sakura

What happens if there are two people like that, do they just get stuck in a loop of 1-upping each other?

br3wnor

At least you can take solace in how utterly inadequate this guy must feel inside. Behavior like this is usually a defense mechanism to cover up some real feelings of inferiority.

Maybe his home life is a disaster and this is how he regains a feeling of having some power in his life. Who knows his reasoning, but most people who really are the 'best' at doing something don't spend their time bragging about it, they let their reputation speak for them.

Darklor01

What happens if there are two people like that, do they just get stuck in a loop of 1-upping each other?

Never had that happen, but I'd kind of like to see it happen in a party setting where there are a room full of them.

It's pretty hard for me to ignore the person I'm talking about because there are only three of us at a desk job which requires us to work together. I enjoy my work, but.. man. LOL. A couple of times, he was talking at the other co-worker for like 1/2 hour straight about how he did _____ in _____ situation.

br3wnor: That might be. He does talk about how despite all the Uber driving how his wife and kids spend all the money increase he started earning, and occasionally he talks about how the wife/kids don't pitch in around the house.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I have a buddy like that. He gets annoying but it's whatever. I remember going to a bar talking to a girl and him coming and joining the convo one upping everything that we said. Good times.

facelike

E) Can forge Armor - One day, after a particularly long set of stories in which he plowed his driveway better than his neighbors, fixed his roof with no prior experience, replaced some ceiling beams, repaired his furnace and a few other odd mentions I called him out. I said, you know, with all of these things you can do, I imaging you can forge Armor. With a straight face, he actually said he knows how to do that.

Does he select the items, press square a couple times and now he has his armor?

YaBish

Rightly or not, I call this Texan Syndrome after my uncle who's from Texas. Dude's 51 years old and still has to say everything that he would do better about _x_ than anyone else.

Drinkel

I know people like that and I don't think they even know that they're doing it. They just have to tell you their plan for their weekend/evening and it's always the most productive thing. Especially if someone nearby just said that they are tired and just want to chill. I honestly think they might see it as some weird form of encouragement to get other people motivated but who knows. It's weird.

I worked with a guy who knocked down Mike Tyson when bumping into him, dated a Playboy model, owns 5 cars, among other things he has claimed over the years.

eXistor

I try to not be that guy, but I have those tendencies, but I'm very aware of it, so I try not to be a dick about it.

I have a guy like this at work but instead of talking about how everything is better for him he likes to brag about how his job is so much worse than everyone else's.

I hate that guy.

Top Bottom