• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do your prefer your Final Fantasy games more medieval or more modern day/sci-fi?

The mainline Final Fantasy games, especially since FF7, have generally alternated between traditional fantasy-based settings and ones that are more rooted in modern day, science fiction-influenced worlds.

My not-so-elegant breakdown:

FF 1-5: Fairly traditional fantasy worlds with the occasional dose of light sci-fi. (FF4's stuff on the moon.)

FF 6: Similar to the first 5 games but combines the fantasy with a steampunk vibe, making it unique in the series.

FF7: Brings sci-fi and cyberpunk elements into the mix. The first FF game to embrace what I like to refer to as "Anime Bullshit." (This is a term of endearment.)

FF8: Goes deeper with more sci-fi stuff. Continues the Anime Bullshit trend but also introduces Asian Drama Bullshit. (This is perhaps not a term of endearment.)

FF9: Returns to traditional fantasy trappings. The only Final Fantasy game that has actually aged well and seems like a representation of the entire series.

FF10: A combo of Okinawan fantasy and sci-fi, though the emphasis on fantasy is heavier. Brings back Anime Bullshit/Asian Drama Bullshit but arguably pulls it off stronger than FF8.

FF11: I haven't played this one, but I've seen enough of it to know that its world was predominantly medieval.

FF12:
Basically medieval Star Wars. It's a more high-tech fantasy variant, but the feel of the game radiates hardcore Renaissance Europe-influenced Matsuno goodness.

FF13: Back to sci-fi Anime Bullshit, except now we have Waifu Bullshit in the mix as well.

FF14: It's secretly a lot like FF12, medieval Star Wars all over again! The secret weapon of the FF series.

FF15: The feel is more modern day sci-fi than the last few games. The return of the Anime Bullshit with an important distinction - this time it's Husbando Bullshit.

Which style do you prefer? Judging from the pattern and by how much Square is milking FF15 we might be due to a return to more traditional fantasy with FF16. Or they might just keep that style for FF14 and give us more husbandos.

BasilZero

If you had asked me 10 years ago I would say medieval but after playing through some of the games recently and re-playing the classic games, I say modern day/sci-fi.

There's just something awe inspiring about it but at the same time I wouldnt mind a combination like what we saw in FFVI - at least from my PoV.

FF15's style was great but they chose the wrong team to make it and hence forth the execution was done poorly despite the idea and themes being great.

Hopeford

Honestly, depends on my mood. Like this very second I want medieval but if you asked me this morning or tomorrow my answer would probably change.

Laieon

The only Final Fantasy I've ever enjoyed is whatever one had Vaan (XII?), but that was more for the way it played then the setting and world.

In general I tend to prefer medieval fantasy over modern day/sci-fi though.

Schneider

setting doesn't bother me as long as the characters are well written, which is sadly where square either nails really well or misses by a longshot

sn00zer

Modern/sci-fi for sure.

I think medieval-ish setting are too convenient to set a universe in, as you can simply just drop everything neatly into it's own pocket on the map keeping everything nice and separated. For example "oh no don't go that mysterious cave, no ones explored that for generations, because there is a monster there...maybe...."

I like more modern settings where they are thinking "shit that dragon is not moving from there and we gotta build a highway around it"...."shit that behemoth got into the city, I thought we had tags on it"

I just like the idea of modern day tech and problem solving applied to fantasy settings.

raven777

I prefer modern day/sci-fi. Personally I am not a big fan of traditional medieval setting..

FFVIII probably has one of my favorite setting in the series... shame I didn't enjoy the actual game though. :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All the sci-fi FFs except 7 have been disasters, so, medieval I guess?

Other than Tactics, FF6 was the best, and also had the best setting, so...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'd like to see another true-ish medieval fantasy setting, especially since we haven't seen that in a long time with modern graphics. But FFVIII remains my favorite modern/futuristic setting followed by VII. It was grounded enough while still be different and unique, where as FFX onwards has just been overly stylized to the point of detracting from the experience.

I think there's a time and place for both. I feel like the medieval ones are a lot more grounded in their plot which I much prefer to the bizarre stuff they go for in VIII/XIII/XV.

X was a really happy middle ground I thought. Really going a lot more magical than medieval. I would much prefer they try to do more unique things like this than strictly go Sci-fantasy or medieval fantasy.

But if you're making me choose, FFIX is my favourite so Medieval.

I like more modern settings where they are thinking "shit that dragon is not moving from there and we gotta build a highway around it"...."shit that behemoth got into the city, I thought we had tags on it"

I just like the idea of modern day tech and problem solving applied to fantasy settings.

Has any FF game really done this well though? I like the way you phrase it but feel like the closest we got was the Guardian Forces being used by the military in FF8, but that was still pretty half-baked.

I'm waiting for PC version to play FF15, perhaps that does a better job?

FF 11 and 14 setting is great. hell, I'd love it if they make single player version of those games, throw out the filler quest and make it more streamlined and less grind (if there's any), tweak the battle system so they can work in single player or 4 player co-op.

Gurnlei

Final Fantasy VIII always had my favorite setting. Modern with a sci-fi twist.

The story that takes place in the world is another thing.

Village

I'm more of a modern guy

but if you go like 14 where it gets like, it goes like " medieval" but almost the future, then i'm down.

Setting doesnt matter to me, i would be happy either way. however i will say that setting seems to be the one thing that correlates to sales. The medevil fantasy settings dont do as well as the sci fi/futuristic games.

Best sellers

1.VII
2.X
3.VIII
4.XV
5.XIII

sn00zer

Has any FF game really done this well though? I like the way you phrase it but feel like the closest we got was the Guardian Forces being used by the military in FF8, but that was still pretty half-baked.

I'm waiting for PC version to play FF15, perhaps that does a better job?
FFXV defintely attempted this. Its super broken in a million other ways but i do like the attempt they made in addressing how a modern day society deals with monsters and magic and gods

I like the medieval science fiction mix in XII a lot. Doubt we'll see it again though so I'll take something that's more cyberpunk like VI next time around. I'm pretty much over traditional fantasy for a little while.

Jotakori

I prefer medieval settings in general -- their designs/outfits, the settings, etc are just a whole lot more interesting and beautiful to me. However I don't mind the sorta sci-fi fantasy mix a lot of the FF games go for, either. It just depends on how unique the world and its characters are, and how well they can capture me in them.
Whatever they do, I just hope they don't do the XV fantasy based on reality direction again. It felt too removed from the fantasy aspect for me, and I found myself really missing the unique FF character designs for majority of the characters, especially background ones/npcs.

OmegaDL50

I prefer the Medieval fantasy games.

To be honest I think the games that seem to mix and do exotic stuff are interesting as well.

FFX wasn't medieval or futuristic it was it's own fantasy setting. Also the Steampunk setting of FFVI was pretty nice with mix of Medieval Kingdoms but Factories, Bi-pedal Magic Powered Mechs, etc.

I wouldn't mind a return to something like the setting of FF9 or 6 as long as it's appropriate. And for the love of God SE, make them single player games! The last TWO mainline medieval style FF releases to come out in the last 10 years were MMO's.

I'd love to have a FF with the look and setting of 14 but in a fully realized single player story and experience.

Some of those OP comments seem a bit loaded...

That being said I do like both and move back and forth as the series does. I like when the game are radically different settings-wise between each game. I don't think we can always neatly say just because two FF games have similar genre settings that I am tired of those settings. I just care if the setting makes sense for the story told. That's all.

I prefer FFVII and FFXV but I wouldn't wholly say I prefer sci-fi because I like those two games. I like XIV too but that doesn't mean the series needs to adhere to medieval only.

Basically this is a long-winded way of me saying I like both and don't have a preference. Whatever the devs are most inspired by and whatever they feel should work for the game. :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
FF9: Returns to traditional fantasy trappings. The only Final Fantasy game that has actually aged well and seems like a representation of the entire series.

[

What a ludicrous comment.

Anyways, I love the medieval settings. I want more of it.

I wouldn't mind a return to something like the setting of FF9 or 6 as long as it's appropriate. And for the love of God SE, make them single player games! The last TWO mainline medieval style FF releases to come out in the last 10 years were MMO's.

I'd love to have a FF with the look and setting of 14 but in a fully realized single player story and experience.

I can understand this. It's interesting how they seem to be reserving the medieval settings for the MMOs - probably it's because of Ever Quest/World of Warcraft's dominance in that market.

FF14 story is so good that it's enough for me to endure the occasional grindiness of the gameplay, though. It's a shame that many people won't be willing to do the same, because the game really is the secret weapon of the series.

sn00zer

XV in general was a really cool idea poorly implemented across the board. I really hope there is a XV-2 in which they can sort of clean the slate and build off the modern fantasy setting.

I prefer medieval settings in general -- their designs/outfits, the settings, etc are just a whole lot more interesting and beautiful to me. However I don't mind the sorta sci-fi fantasy mix a lot of the FF games go for, either. It just depends on how unique the world and its characters are, and how well they can capture me in them.
Whatever they do, I just hope they don't do the XV fantasy based on reality direction again. It felt too removed from the fantasy aspect for me, and I found myself really missing the unique FF character designs for majority of the characters, especially background ones/npcs.

I mean...

Personally I prefer this NPC design

maxresdefault.jpg

to this

latest

You forget XII. Unless you consider XII an MMO. XI came out more than ten years ago.

1upsuper

I much prefer the traditional fantasy style mixed with some light sci fi and steampunk elements. The series totally lost me after VI.

Cloud7

I prefer the modern day sci-fi blend that VII pulled off. I also liked X's setting a lot.

But I loved medieval too, especially FFT and IX.

I definitely prefer the modern sci-fi but I can handle medieval fantasy just fine.

N E R O

15 Years ago I would say medieval. But the genre got saturated with this setting.
Right now. I prefer the Steam Punk & the Cyber Punk Setting.
Would love to see a game like FF6 again

Top Bottom