• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

tomtom94

Ah forgot I had this to catch up with after watching Guardians 2 last night!

Good to hear it's from the same writer as Face the Raven, love that episode. Can we expect Season 9 on UK Netflix anytime this century either?
Typically the BBC like to keep a two-season gap for Who, so I imagine season 9 (possibly along with the missing season 7 episodes) will go up later this year. It feels longer because of the hiatus.

Maybe the monster inside the vault... is us!!!!

I've just found out that Sarah Dollard showran a rom-com series about a Welsh village that ran out of women. Potential Chris Chibnall successor???

Symphonia

Banned
I'm not convinced the contents tie in with the Christmas special as it'd be a pretty major dick move to hype up the mystery for the whole series and then have it just be a teaser for a special that's another few months away.
I'm assuming you weren't around for Name Of The Doctor and the several month wait for the 50th anniversary?

Boem

Heh, this episode really shows how different my opinions can be from general Gaffers. This one didn't really work for me, honestly the weakest of the three so far (but better than the last christmas episode) A bit too...cute? With the children especially. But honestly Face the Raven wasn't for me either. Her style is a bit too much YA novel turned into Who episode for me honestly.

But hey, not trying to be too down on it, happy you guys enjoyed it so much. I definitely like the slower pace that allows for some exploration. Dollard has some very interesting ideas but her writing style isn't entirely for me. But hey, this show is something different every week, can't be for me every single time.

Tizoc

BTW what has been theorized about the word 'NOWHERE' which showed up in Ep. 2 on a door, but written in reverse?

I like that for his final season, it appears that Moffat has abandoned his superhero-style continuity-heavy arcs and gone all the way back to a Russel T. Davies-style Bad Wolf arc. Simple tags. Shit on the walls.

Pay attention to the standalone stories. The big arc can wait. That kinda stuff.

Also, this episode was great Doctor Who. So much great back 'n' forth and personality coming out of both Mackie & Capaldi.

M.Bluth

I like that for his final season, it appears that Moffat has abandoned his superhero-style continuity-heavy arcs and gone all the way back to a Russel T. Davies-style Bad Wolf arc. Simple tags. Shit on the walls.

Pay attention to the standalone stories. The big arc can wait. That kinda stuff.

He's been doing that since Capaldi was cast, I'd argue, only more of it every year. Series 8 just had Missy talking to some dead characters from that week's episode, 9 had throwaway lines about the hybrid, now it's this.

True!

Maybe it seems a little more pronounced to me this season because the interactions between Bill & 12 are so good that the stuff seems even more backgrounded in contrast.

With previous seasons it was like "we're gonna get back to that, I guess"

With this season, it's like "Man, that was pretty damn fu—Oh shit, that's right, this is a thing!"

Boem

Yeah the real heavy arc-stuff was more of a Matt Smith thing. Capaldi has had the more standalone stuff since he started, which goes hand in hand with the slower pacing. It's the one thing I love the most about his era - Tennant and Smith could get very hectic, which is great if you want to stuff a thousand gags in, but this slower pace really allows for some wonderful character and relationship building, and it gives the viewer the ability to really soak these new locations in. Explore them with the Doctor, instead of the Doctor just telling you the bullet points of everything you need to know.

TyrantII

Also, this episode was great Doctor Who. So much great back 'n' forth and personality coming out of both Mackie & Capaldi.

It's just better writing.

Didn't they finally out together a writers room this season to keep things straight and lessen the spitball approach to the season arc?

hamchan

Thank god I say. Moffat is good at many things but writing complicated, season long arcs ain't one of them.

Even if the arc last season was more throwaway, it still felt like Hell Bent and the whole hybrid, Clara, Me and returning to Gallifrey situation was something pulled out of the arse of a insane man.

If Moffat can continue to keep this vault arc in the background, while having a resolution to it that is both simple and satisfying, then it could be the best season arc yet.

I wonder if chibers will let other people write the important episodes? His own Who work has never been close to as good as RTD's or Moff's early stuff.

I wonder if chibers will let other people write the important episodes? His own Who work has never been close to as good as RTD's or Moff's early stuff.
Not a chance. Davies and Moffat were contractually obligated to write the tent pole episodes (openers, closers, Christmas specials), and Chibnall will be too. He hasn't been hired so he can pass the most important work to someone else.

Wouldn't be surprised if like Nardole they've trapped the real 12th Doctor in the Vault to stop him doing something while a robot version plays his part.

tomtom94

In a way it's a shame because I could appreciate the ambition of series 6 even if the execution was poor.

I need to rewatch Thin Ice as I was distracted and missed most of it, going by this thread.

Cronen

There will be an enhanced version of next week's episode 'Knock Knock' on iplayer after it has aired on BBC One. This enhanced version has '3D sound'. There's a clip on their website here. Plug in some headphones and give it a go. It's pretty cool!

Link

Really well done episode. Bill's reaction to the child's death and her subsequent rage at the Doctor were not what I was expecting from this one. The racism of the time was handled well too. 3 for 3 so far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There will be an enhanced version of next week's episode 'Knock Knock' on iplayer after it has aired on BBC One. This enhanced version has '3D sound'. There's a clip on their website here. Plug in some headphones and give it a go. It's pretty cool!

Link

Is doctor who broadcast in 5.1?

Boem

Clearly what's in the vault is
Peter Jackson with a contract to do the christmas episodes, all of next year's episode and a trilogy of 4 hour movies

Link

That's really cool. Love that they're willing to try stuff like this. The knocking in that scene will definitely work better with this than with regular sound. I think I'm not even going to try to catch this live (that's hard enough already on saturdays) and just wait for the iplayer version.

Cronen

That's really cool. Love that they're willing to try stuff like this. The knocking in that scene will definitely work better with this than with regular sound. I think I'm not even going to try to catch this live (that's hard enough already on saturdays) and just wait for the iplayer version.

It definitely got me a few times, but when I got my girlfriend to try it she jumped so hard that she threw the headphones off. Granted, she gets spooked quite easily but it's pretty cool to see it have the effect that I imagine they were after! :)

Ugh, there's a rumor starting to float around that
Clara will be returning
to be the conpanion at Christmas. All of this is floating around from a leak saying that they're going to be shooting for 2 days at
the Diner that featured in The Impossible Astronaut and Hell Bent

Here's the article link

Bill - "Interesting, Regency England its a bit more Black then they show in the movies."
The Doctor- "So was Jesus. History is a white wash"

Goddamn it I love Bill And 12.

Clara will be returning
to be the conpanion at Christmas. All of this is floating around from a leak saying that they're going to be shooting for 2 days at

Here's the article link

f00king good, I'm not feeling Bill at all. Neither her acting (which, as someone who lives in south London, comes off as a poor attempt at London sassyness), nor the material she's given to work with where she magical asks all the right and deep questions.

A-V-B

Clara will be returning

Here's the article link

I doubt
Clara's going to be the companion again. Odds are, since it's Moffat's final episode, they're revisiting his favorite places as part of the plot.

Symphonia

Banned
I doubt
Clara's going to be the companion again. Odds are, since it's Moffat's final episode, they're revisiting his favorite places as part of the plot.
That, or maybe
Clara will have a cameo during Twelve's regeneration scene, much like Amy did with Eleven. This is Moffat's last episode, after all, he'll make it as cheesy and hammy as possible.

And you know what? I'll fucking love it.

hamchan

Clara will be returning

Here's the article link

Ewwwww

though entirely appropriate since Capaldi's run has been handicapped by Clara Who, might as well end it on Clara Who.

Was awesome to see Regency London instead of the usual Victorian era for a change. Pity the fog saved the effects guys a better view of London.

Davide

I think that's a big part of why I'm not liking this series as much. The series premiere was the first one by Moffat that felt directionless.

My series rankings would probably be...

5>9>7>6>8>2>4>3>1

10 is towards the bottom, for now. Its opening was no where close to 9's and the Christmas special was the worst episode I've ever seen.

EDIT: But I'm watching Smile now and it's better than the premiere.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah the real heavy arc-stuff was more of a Matt Smith thing. Capaldi has had the more standalone stuff since he started, which goes hand in hand with the slower pacing. It's the one thing I love the most about his era - Tennant and Smith could get very hectic, which is great if you want to stuff a thousand gags in, but this slower pace really allows for some wonderful character and relationship building, and it gives the viewer the ability to really soak these new locations in. Explore them with the Doctor, instead of the Doctor just telling you the bullet points of everything you need to know.
That's a very good point. Instead of them seeing an alien scene and the Doctor giving quick exposition dumps of how the place/machine/race works, they're actually exploring it together at a decent pace. It's better writing all around.

Maddocks

I love me more Clara, but its time to never see her again. Her purpose is done and she is off with Me and having adventures and stuff. No need for her to show up and be like...I'll help you one more time, after all I did tell you to steal this Tardis and then when you where a kid told you not to be scared and how fear is a superpower. it's enough, we don't need her to be the hero for the doctor again.

GSR

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Clara cameo/nod in 12's final ep, but her making a major appearance would be a bit too much. And I say that as someone who was still generally fond of her character when all was said and done.

I really am loving Bill and the 12/Bill combo though. It's a cheap comparison but I really do find myself thinking, "damn, Capaldi finally got his Donna" in the best way.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
She doesn't need to show up physically in the story, but I want 12 to remember his time with her. I had enough of the memory wipe/character development reversal bullshit with Donna.

They've been dropping hints it will happen though. The scene with him trying to erase Bill's memory, him erasing the Vardis bots memories, and the first episode of Class when he sees Clara's name and feels weird about it. Won't surprise me if we get more memory nods this season.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Clara cameo/nod in 12's final ep, but her making a major appearance would be a bit too much. And I say that as someone who was still generally fond of her character when all was said and done.

I really am loving Bill and the 12/Bill combo though. It's a cheap comparison but I really do find myself thinking, "damn, Capaldi finally got his Donna" in the best way.

I am really happy with Bill and her dynamic with the Doctor.

Capaldi must be overjoyed to have such an amazing dynamic for his last ride.

Bluth54

Honestly I would be way more surprised
if Clara didn't show up in Capaldi's final episode than if she did.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Such a shame we're only getting one series out of this. Twelve and Bill just work, and already have a much more interesting dynamic than Twelve and Clara. I just hope we get a Blink/Midnight/Heaven Sent-tier episode out of the duo before they go.

Top Bottom