• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

iMax

You guys trying to tell me the one thing I thought for sure would be impossible to do in this modern era of entertainment news is the one thing Moffat's actually looking to pull off? And he might fuck around and actually do it?

Sneak a goddamn Doctor into the canon without the whole world finding out about it first?

I mean - I guess he did that with John Hurt already. But he manages to go two-for-two here, wow.

If anyone's going to try, it's him.

My guess re:regenerations next week 'n' stuff:

Capaldi regenerates into the Valeyard at the end of the finale and perhaps is aware of what's happening, hence his unusual displeasure at regenerating. The Valeyard decides to dick around with his/her previous time stream and travels back to the Twelfth Doctor era around the time the Twelfth Doctor goes to help out at Gallifrey. Chronologically the Christmas Special is from the point of view of the Valeyard although for all intents and purposes it's a Twelfth Doctor story with the Doctor retaining the protagonist role. We've had leaks as to the premise of the Christmas Special but presumably there it's not a jolly jaunt with no antagonist... At the end of the Christmas Special, the Valeyard regenerates into the Thirteenth Doctor.

Wow great episode. Missy, The Master's reveal, Mondasion Cybermen and holy shit Bill ! just brilliant.

As everyone is leaving at the end of this series, it's not looking good for Bill,
hell of a way to go though, shot then turned into a Cyberman.
I actually hope they have the balls not to go back on this.

Kevin

That was a fantastic episode. No real surprises/twists for me as most of it had been spoiled earlier before season 10 started airing but this episode was really well done and I am hyped as heck for next weeks season finale.

Baleoce

Imagine how good that moment would have been if it hadn't been leaked in promotional material... But yeah, amazing episode.

Sound direction was even better than usual as well.

Joqu

Fuck me, that was a great episode. Like, a proper top tier Moffat kind of episode.

The Mondasian Cybermen, man. Just as horrifying as I had hoped they'd be, they're so creepy and body horror-y. Exactly how a good Cyberman should be.

Shame we knew Simm would be back, but I didn't recognize him through his disguise so he still had more of a surprise factor to him that I was expecting. Very nice. (I liked that character by the way, I'm going to choose to believe the Master genuinely got into it and started liking Bill in that period... for the time it lasted.) Still, that would have been such an amazing reveal.

Bill. ;_;

Such a cruel way to go, (well, she hasn't gotten to it yet but she's about 90% there.) I really hope Moffat doesn't chicken out this time though, please give us a proper grim companion ending for once.

And that regeneration!! Yeah, I'm really thinking we're getting our proper surprise Doctor next week. I cant't believe they might actually pull it off.

tomtom94

I fucking called that Moffat would use a character in disguise like in Sherlock although admittedly I thought it would be Marshall so I'm not going to claim full credit.

Fantastic episode. Basically what I've wanted from a Cyberman episode ever since I first read about them in a magazine (before NuWho even began!).

I was unimpressed with the trailer immediately after the episode. The one up on Youtube gives me hope that
the Cybermen might turn on the Masters
which would be nice after them essentially being cannon fodder for a while.

Baleoce

Simm revealing himself without it being spoiled could have been one of the best moments ever of Nu-Who.

It's that
cheesy zoom in on the face
DNAgAc1.gif
that does it for me haha. I actually had to pause it because I was laughing too much. It was such a great moment though xD

My guess re:regenerations next week 'n' stuff:

Capaldi regenerates into the Valeyard at the end of the finale and perhaps is aware of what's happening, hence his unusual displeasure at regenerating. The Valeyard decides to dick around with his/her previous time stream and travels back to the Twelfth Doctor era around the time the Twelfth Doctor goes to help out at Gallifrey. Chronologically the Christmas Special is from the point of view of the Valeyard although for all intents and purposes it's a Twelfth Doctor story with the Doctor retaining the protagonist role. We've had leaks as to the premise of the Christmas Special but presumably there it's not a jolly jaunt with no antagonist... At the end of the Christmas Special, the Valeyard regenerates into the Thirteenth Doctor.

I'd be less surprised if capaldi regenerated into the queen than if they brought back the Valeyard.

(I know he's name checked in name of the doctor)

tomtom94

I'd be less surprised if capaldi regenerated into the queen than if they brought back the Valeyard.

(I know he's name checked in name of the doctor)

Part of me wants the Valeyard because if done well it's an interesting character but it's going to require so much wankery to make it make sense in canon because of the fiddling to make Smith the Doctor's last incarnation.

Man, after a really good season, it looks like we're in for a rough finale. That was a pretty boring episode. A shame after such a great episode last week.

It was nice to have the Master in disguise again, and the whole idea of the top and bottom of the ship running at different speeds was really neat, but most of the episode was just kind of...dull.

Savitar

Quite liked the episode, will equal it was dark and despite how cheesy the Cyberman usually are in pictures from how they look here, in this episode, yeah they definitely made them uncomfortable.

Was I the only one who first was thinking this was the humans from the far future that ended up as little razor killer things that ten had to deal with against the Master.

Dang it! My DVR cut off the moments after Simm came in and the Doctor saw him. What'd I miss? Stupid cable!

Loved the Mondassian Cybermen. By far the creepiest incarnation, so glad they are using those.

Caelus

Very good episode.

Reading a review the title of this episode is based off a poem called "To His Coy Mistress"

Interesting, the whole poem out of curiosity (there might be clues :p)
Had we but world enough and time,
This coyness, lady, were no crime.
We would sit down, and think which way
To walk, and pass our long love’s day.
Thou by the Indian Ganges’ side
Shouldst rubies find; I by the tide
Of Humber would complain. I would
Love you ten years before the flood,
And you should, if you please, refuse
Till the conversion of the Jews.
My vegetable love should grow
Vaster than empires and more slow;
An hundred years should go to praise
Thine eyes, and on thy forehead gaze;
Two hundred to adore each breast,
But thirty thousand to the rest;
An age at least to every part,
And the last age should show your heart.
For, lady, you deserve this state,
Nor would I love at lower rate.
But at my back I always hear
Time’s wingèd chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity.
Thy beauty shall no more be found;
Nor, in thy marble vault, shall sound
My echoing song; then worms shall try
That long-preserved virginity,
And your quaint honour turn to dust,
And into ashes all my lust;
The grave’s a fine and private place,
But none, I think, do there embrace.
Now therefore, while the youthful hue
Sits on thy skin like morning dew,
And while thy willing soul transpires
At every pore with instant fires,
Now let us sport us while we may,
And now, like amorous birds of prey,
Rather at once our time devour
Than languish in his slow-chapped power.
Let us roll all our strength and all
Our sweetness up into one ball,
And tear our pleasures with rough strife
Through the iron gates of life:
Thus, though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run.

somedevil

Simm Master in this episode is pure evil. He basically knew who she was and got her to trust him so he could finally convert her when the doctor finally got down to the floor. He was basically playing her friend for years just to screw the doctor.

Sheroking

You guys trying to tell me the one thing I thought for sure would be impossible to do in this modern era of entertainment news is the one thing Moffat's actually looking to pull off? And he might fuck around and actually do it?

Recall: he did the same thing with Jenna Coleman and got her into 7x01 when nobody else knew it was coming.

And he did it by shooting those scenes later than the rest of the episode on a closed set.

Axiom

Really enjoyed this episode - saw the next time trailer and a lot of my hype deflated at the complete shift in mood.

One thing I wanted to mention, since his hair started getting wild Capaldi has always had a Pertwee thing going on - but he's never been more so than that first scene in the snow.
Then he goes and does Venusian Aikido. Considering the Mondas Cyberman, Moffat is seriously letting Peter check things off his list before the end.

Recall: he did the same thing with Jenna Coleman and got her into 7x01 when nobody else knew it was coming.

And he did it by shooting those scenes later than the rest of the episode on a closed set.

I remember being blown away by that, I knew what Jenna Coleman looked like from casting announcements but it's not like I could have picked her out of a crowd at that point so it was a lot of 'wait is that...hm...no way....I'm pretty sure...but it can't....okay, that's her, but how? What?!'

First appearance of Clara was her best

A-V-B

Really enjoyed this episode - saw the next time trailer and a lot of my hype deflated at the complete shift in mood.

Should be no surprise at this point. The 2nd part of a Moffat finale always does a 180 on the mood of the first parter.

That was great, I was one of the few who didnt get spoiled so the twists at the end blew my mind. Too bad moffat will probably fuck it up again lol

Sheroking

Should be no surprise at this point. The 2nd part of a Moffat finale always does a 180 on the mood of the first parter.

It's the ol' Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi thing.

Doctor Who will never be cynical enough to stay on that kind of note for long, as much as we may enjoy it at the time.

tuffy

On one hand, we've never seen anyone un-converted from a Cyberman. But on the other hand, if the show really was planning to give a companion a bad end, it wouldn't happen on the second-to-last episode. I mean, c'mon...

Savitar

That's what would make Bill ending up like that so damn good, bad things happening at times should occur. Be nice to have something different than a happy companion ending and the Doctor giving a big bye speech.

The whole "nooooo" intro might be a clue that it all goes to shit in the end and I want that!

Speaking of which:

If he manages to sneak a regeneration into next week's episode (and goes 3 for 3 on this)

He'll have:

Made 11/12s companion the person who inspired the Doctor to BE The Doctor
Introduced that companion as one of the Doctor's greatest nemesis (a Dalek)
Turned the boyfriend of that companion into a Cyberman
Turned the next companion into what appears to be the VERY FIRST Cyberman ever made.
Did so as part of the machinations of the Master
While putting the Master in the first multi-Master story.
While ending that Master story with a surprise regeneration into an actor none of us heard about being cast until they appeared.

This dude...

A-V-B

Speaking of which:

If he manages to sneak a regeneration into next week's episode (and goes 3 for 3 on this)

He'll have:

Made 11/12s companion the person who inspired the Doctor to BE The Doctor
Introduced that companion as one of the Doctor's greatest nemesis (a Dalek)
Turned the boyfriend of that companion into a Cyberman
Turned the next companion into what appears to be the VERY FIRST Cyberman ever made.
Did so as part of the machinations of the Master
While putting the Master in the first multi-Master story.

This dude...

A showrunner would have to try pretty hard to leave a bigger stamp on the show. I suppose they could permanently kill the Doctor and decommission the TARDIS.

Oh, I forgot the first companion's child becoming the Doctor's wife.

So yeah, Moffat's 3 main companions are:

the Doctor's mother-in-law
His savior/inspiration (and also a Dalek)
And the first Cyberman ever created.

Oh, and he's also the only showrunner to have effectively made the Master one of the Doctor's companions (albeit for a short time)

Bluth54

I thought we got a very solid episode this week, it would of been even better if BBC marketing hadn't spoiled the last Master coming back and the original Cybermen but what can you do?

Davide

A showrunner would have to try pretty hard to leave a bigger stamp on the show.
Seriously.

Moffat's written the Doctor's wife, about the meaning of the name of the Doctor, the saving of Gallifrey, a thirteen-Doctor story, a female Master, the last Doctor until he got more regenerations, a secret war Doctor, incarnations living for hundreds or thousands of years with stories spanning centuries, the Doctor stealing another TARDIS on Gallifrey, a companion who enters the Doctor's timeline and saves all his incarnations various times, the Doctor as a young boy choosing the name of the Doctor, and more.

Series 10 has not been my favourite, maybe even my least favourite - haven't watched the last couple episodes yet - but for me Doctor Who is great because of Steven Moffat.

Savitar

I always had the impression that Moffat was trying to make his legacy with what he did, problem is he did so many "wink wink nudge nudges", like the whole Doctor Who name throwing around (11 did this when he met Clara after the whole monk part too) and by saying how clever everything was.

Kinda felt egotistical and more of patting himself on the back because he wanted the viewer to believe it was so great.

Sheroking

I always had the impression that Moffat was trying to make his legacy with what he did, problem is he did so many "wink wink nudge nudges", like the whole Doctor Who name throwing around (11 did this when he met Clara after the whole monk part too) and by saying how clever everything was.

Kinda felt egotistical and more of patting himself on the back because he wanted the viewer to believe it was so great.

Moffat writes what he loves and he loves Doctor Who. This is a man who in the earliest days of the internet wrote on the earliest message boards, theorizing and dreaming about what The Doctor would look like in modern incarnations.

He's not giving himself a pat on the back, he's giving The Doctor a pat on the back.

Man, that episode was godlike. If only the rest of the series was that good. Why do bbc america fuckwits like to run upcoming scenes as a commercial...

Kuraudo

Banned
If they are going for a surprise regeneration, they probably should have kept this week's pre-credits scene until next week's episode.

Yes, all modern Doctors were unveiled way ahead of their debut.

David Tennant was announced in the middle of Season 1's airing, Matt Smith before Tennant's last special, Peter Capaldi before they shot the 50th anniversary and Matt Smith's last Christmas special.
Sorry for DP, but wasn't Tennant announced because of the whole Eccleston vs BBC controversy being big news?

Also Capaldi was announced because Smith was soon to be revealed as part of the Terminator Genisys cast meaning there would be no full season filming that summer. The writing was on the wall.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Teaser for next week showed new cybermen. But how can that be - they're completely different time periods and we just spent an episode seeing the genesis of the cybermen.

Random guess - the modern ones are controlled by Missy and it's cybermen on cybermen action

..although we saw the genesis of the cybermen, we don't see why they became violent. Just AI gone wrong and they go all Borg?

liquidtmd

Banned
Nah. This is better for messing with us

Which it did and it was good - It's just teasing regeneration more than once a season is overkill for it IMO

The fake out they put in the trailers a few episodes back didn't excite me, after seeing that particular episode it just came across as something cheap to put in the trailers, cheaply fitting into the story

Now we have another tease of it in yesterday's pre-credits. Works a fair bit better, but just made me wish more they had restrained themselves and not done earlier in the season.

FWIW I can't say I was a fan when they've done regeneration takeouts before either (Tenants 'handy hand's, I'm looking at you)

Teaser for next week showed new cybermen. But how can that be - they're completely different time periods...

We are on a 400 mile ship with time dilation. The bottom of the ship shows the genesis of the Cybermen, maybe some go to the middle floor via lift to which they meet their 'upgraded' selves (those who stayed on the bottom floor and changed through centuries of evolution)

Ade

Teaser for next week showed new cybermen. But how can that be - they're completely different time periods and we just spent an episode seeing the genesis of the cybermen.

Random guess - the modern ones are controlled by Missy and it's cybermen on cybermen action

..although we saw the genesis of the cybermen, we don't see why they became violent. Just AI gone wrong and they go all Borg?

Also it's possible they just evolve quicker in a different part of the ship?

The Cybermen never became violent as such, it was simply logical that they upgrade everyone. They're doing you a favour in their opinion and because they suppressed their emotions they don't get why you wouldn't want the upgrade.

I also have an odd feeling that the regeneration clip they showed is at Snowcap Base, circa the Invasion from Mondas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can,t see them leaving Bill like that. She came in too wide eye and bushy tailed to kill off (or worse, trap forever partially aware of who she is). She's already done a mini-Rory, waiting for years trapped on a ship. The tear in her eye shows she's still in there and not completely converted

OMG I just realised the tear when it came out onto the mask is a reference to the cyberman eye shape!

liquidtmd

Banned
I also have an odd feeling that the regeneration clip they showed is at Snowcap Base, circa the Invasion from Mondas.

Yep, dead cert

Why not - Regeneration, end. New Doctor and actor shown. Last scene - David Bradley / first Doctor finds body in the snow.

With Bill still dead, First Doctor / New Doctor have to travel back and interact with Capaldi in the Xmas Special to save Bill. Boom!

Kuraudo

Banned
Nah. This is better for messing with us

Yeah, this is the main argument that he's not going to regenerate lol

Do we know if they're filming the Christmas special atm? That might be the reason they waited to finish the episode--it ends with a cliffhanger that leads directly into Christmas. Could see them doing something like (speculation based on rumours)
Doctor collapses and starts to regenerate, but before he does a second TARDIS shows up. David Bradley steps out and says "I'm afraid you're going to have to hold on a little longer."

Top Bottom