• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

hamchan

"The last time I saw you you turned up on my doorstep in a new haircut and your best suit"

Uh oh

Which means Eleventh made a mistake and Last Night wasn't the last time she would see the Doctor.

Looks like the Doctor has to keep trial and error visiting her with a new haircut and suit and visiting that pretty lights planet until she finally goes away.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Speaking of River Song, have we still ever found out how she got the screwdriver from Silence in the Library? It doesn't look like any of the screwdrivers the Doctor has had yet.

i'm sure it's just a modified version of 10's. i don't think we've seen him giving her his screwdriver yet.

10's:

tenthscrewdriver1.jpg

River's:

e79c_river_songs_future_sonic_screwdriver_anim.gif

For comparison, 11's:

Doctor_Who_Sonic_Screwdriver_TV_remote_control_reviewed.jpg

12's:

12356317_1004950169567573_85859715_n.jpg

OK. That bigger on the inside gag was fun.

I normally don't like the Xmas specials but I'm liking this. And this is probably the best River has been since forever.

Went from silly romp to really sweet ending. Still a bit of Who-lore to make it have the full impact but I don't think that heavy. But nicest Christmas one in a while.

Heartfyre

If the past season had half of the heart, frivolity, and cleverness of that Christmas Special, it would have been very different. Had a great time with it.

Maybe it's because I've had a few drinks, but I found that final scene incredibly profound, and I'm speaking as someone who's never been particularly invested in the relationship between River and the Doctor.

That line about happy endings not meaning forever, just meaning time...damn.

That was ham and cheese, but in the loveliest of ways.

Big laughs, heartfelt emotion and gross special effects. All Christmas specials should be like it.

A beautiful ending. My heart dropped when she got that sonic. I was like daaaamn.

Guess that's the end of her storyline. Hope it is anyway. What a lovely way to close it.

tomtom94

Very enjoyable, despite my reservations. Good to see a solid conclusion to the River Song arc, and Greg Davies was hilarious in the supposed A-plot.

I need to watch the ending again because the fact that River ultimately cheats death was nagging at me the first time.

Mariolee

Oh geez, I'm actually crying. This is the first time I've actually cried and not just been on the verge of crying. Oh my goodness.

Very enjoyable, despite my reservations. Good to see a solid conclusion to the River Song arc, and Greg Davies was hilarious in the supposed A-plot.

I need to watch the ending again because the fact that River ultimately cheats death was nagging at me the first time.

How does she cheat death. They are implied to be able to be together for 24 years, and then she saunters off and eventually hits the end of the road.

Appreciated the shout out to Last Night as well.

I have never been the biggest fan of River but I thought this episode was really good, one of the better Christmas episodes that I can remember.
Really pleasantly surprised with this one.

VAD

Great episode I did not expect it to get emotional. The last shifty Christmas special was The Widow and the Wardrobe so I was not surprised by its quality. I definitely want to rewatch the Library episodes now. Hurry and deliver season 10 now!

I definitely want to rewatch the Library episodes now. Hurry and deliver season 10 now!

Steven Moffat really gets time travel fiction. Notice now how Doctor Who's final speech echoes and foreshadows the finale of Forest of the Dead. Transcript here from http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/30-9.htm

[Hospital grounds]

(River is wearing a loose white robe. Charlotte and Doctor Moon walk up to her.)
GIRL: It's okay, you're safe. You'll always be safe here. The Doctor fixed the data core. This is a good place now. But I was worried you might be lonely, so I brought you some friends. Aren't I a clever girl?
EVANGELISTA: Aren't we all?
(Anita, the two Daves and Miss Evangelista with her normal face are walking towards her.)
RIVER: Oh, for heaven's sake. He just can't do it, can he? That man. That impossible man. He just can't give in.
RIVER [OC]: Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all.
(The Doctor returns to the Reception and stares at the Tardis. He snaps his fingers, and the door opens. Donna is waiting inside.)
RIVER [OC]: Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair, and the Doctor comes to call
(He snaps his fingers again and the door closes.)

[Children's bedroom]

(River closes her diary.)
RIVER: Everybody lives.
(She kisses Charlotte goodnight and looks at Ella and Joshua.)
RIVER: Sweet dreams, everyone.

Mariolee

Steven Moffat really gets time travel fiction. Notice now how Doctor Who's final speech echoes and foreshadows the finale of Forest of the Dead. Transcript here from http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/30-9.htm

[Hospital grounds]

(River is wearing a loose white robe. Charlotte and Doctor Moon walk up to her.)
GIRL: It's okay, you're safe. You'll always be safe here. The Doctor fixed the data core. This is a good place now. But I was worried you might be lonely, so I brought you some friends. Aren't I a clever girl?
EVANGELISTA: Aren't we all?
(Anita, the two Daves and Miss Evangelista with her normal face are walking towards her.)
RIVER: Oh, for heaven's sake. He just can't do it, can he? That man. That impossible man. He just can't give in.
RIVER [OC]: Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all.
(The Doctor returns to the Reception and stares at the Tardis. He snaps his fingers, and the door opens. Donna is waiting inside.)
RIVER [OC]: Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair, and the Doctor comes to call
(He snaps his fingers again and the door closes.)

[Children's bedroom]

(River closes her diary.)
RIVER: Everybody lives.
(She kisses Charlotte goodnight and looks at Ella and Joshua.)
RIVER: Sweet dreams, everyone.

I totally missed the "wind stands fair" bit and the parallels between the two speeches. Good stuff.

Mariolee

I was thinking of The Forest of the Dead, not specifically this episode.

Oh yeah, I kinda had that thought too as in "Why is the Doctor so sad when he actually does save her and even meets her afterwards in the Series 7 finale?" But I suppose it's not the same since she's actually dead and the River in the computer is basically a copy right? Although even more technically, the Doctor we know right now is also a copy from Heaven Sent?

Top Bottom