• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Have read hardly anything about this season, super hyped.
Nobody has, really. We're just over a week out, and we still don't know half the episode titles, we've barely had any meaningful set reports, we've had very few actual spoilers beyond what the team have actually explicitly told us... Hell, were it not for [ACTUAL PROBABLE SPOILER]
Young Davros
we wouldn't have had any meaningful leaks.

With that said, they're doing a public showing of the first two episodes tonight, so be on your guard for spoilers.

Savitar

Looking forward to the new season!

Now if only Clara goes away and we get a good Master to return. Missy ain't it.

Boem

Looking forward to the new season!

Now if only Clara goes away and we get a good Master to return. Missy ain't it.

I thought she's miles better than John Simm honestly. He never really felt like the Master to me. Although both of them are a bit too much like the Joker for me.

No actor will ever come close to Delgado though. The one true Master.

DelgadoSmokesMOE.jpg

The Master really needs to start smoking again.

Savitar

I thought she's miles better than John Simm honestly. He never really felt like the Master to me. Although both of them are a bit too much like the Joker for me.

No actor will ever come close to Delgado though. The one true Master.

DelgadoSmokesMOE.jpg

The Master really needs to start smoking again.

Yeah the whole jokey thing is what I mean, I rather have a serious one where if he shows up you know the shit is going to hit the fan.

And what's more...he could actually win.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I don't understand why they're airing the finale in cinemas and not the first episode like last year, felt like we had a nice tradition brewing there.

Looking forward to Capaldi getting better writing. Although "and I save people" isn't the most reassuring thing. Still, looking forward to it all, roll on the opener!

Dalek

My title made it! Feel like a proper gaffer now :)

Fantastic OT. Looking forward to next Saturday. Also this Saturday seeing Jennabob Coleman at Blackpool Comic Con :)

You should get full member status for that. Let Zygons be Zygons, I always say.

Quick

Banned
I don't understand why they're airing the finale in cinemas and not the first episode like last year, felt like we had a nice tradition brewing there.

Looking forward to Capaldi getting better writing. Although "and I save people" isn't the most reassuring thing. Still, looking forward to it all, roll on the opener!

I'm guessing it's because Series 9 kicks off with a two-part episode. It would suck to have just the Magician's Apprentice in theatres, or have both be in theatres while everyone else waits a week.

That being said, there IS an actual screening of the two episodes...in Cardiff today.

http://bafta.ticketsolve.com/shows/...etynet&TSLVh=007ba1328f746cdb91a803636abb0841

BAFTA Cymru presents an exclusive preview of the new series of Doctor Who.

The two-part story stars Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Michelle Gomez and was filmed in Cardiff earlier this year. Directed by Hettie McDonald, Produced by Peter Bennet and written by Steven Moffat, this is the only screening of both episodes ahead of their transmission on BBC One in September.

The double-bill screening will be followed by a panel Q&A session with Peter, Jenna and Steven, joined by Executive Producer Brian Minchin. Hosted by broadcaster Jason Mohammad.

Please note tickets are only available through this site and we request that you do not contact the BAFTA Cymru office when tickets have all been sold.

Tickets available from 5pm on Thursday 27 August. Taking place 10 September at Cineworld Cardiff Screen 9.

BBC America will also be broadcasting some classic Who stories in the leadup to S9:

American Who-fans: Those are some great stories, and some of the most approachable stories for people who have never watched Classic Who before. Genesis is a famous classic that has the introduction of Davros, Seeds of Doom is just a very fun one taking place on then-present earth (my favorite of that list, in fact), Terror of the Zygons is the only classic Zygon story and also a good one - your classic example of an aliens invade earth-story - Pyramids of Mars is another classic all about Egyptian Gods and mummies, and Hand of Fear is Sarah Jane's last regular episode apart from some later cameos.

All stories feature Sarah Jane as the companion (who you know from the Tennant episodes and her own spinoff), and all of them apart from Genesis take place on present day earth. It's a good selection!

I wonder if they just chose those because they're fun stories, or if they all have some connection to what we'll see in the upcoming series.

We know Genesis of the Daleks will have some big links, with Skaro, the Daleks and presumably Davros appearing. Also possibly some direct plot links, according to some rumors.
Seeds of Doom - No idea. The alien menace there is just an alien plant that's misused by a deranged human. Unit is in there, but none of the regulars and they have a fairly small prt.
Terror of the Zygons - Obvious: We're getting another Zygon story this year. Also a big Unit story.
Pyramids of Mars - We had a mummy last season, but that was an entirely different kind of mummy. The return of Sutek?
Hand of Fear - Again, no idea. Maybe Eldrad will be back (Eldrad must, after all, live). I actually posted about this story in the previous thread when I noticed how much Eldrad looks like Vastra - both in look, the way she moves and the way she talks.

We know at least two of them will have some relation to the upcoming series at least.

I'd say they're just doing classic stories, but Hand of Fear isn't that good. Though I suppose the ending at least makes it important. The other stories are some of the best of Bakers run - Seeds of Doom in particular, which I think is the top TBaker serial.

AHA-Lambda

Idk, I'm just not feeling this after last season; I just don't know if this is the show I used to enjoy :/

I hated Smith and Capaldi is a definite improvement but he's not blown me away like Tennant (heck Missy was the best thing last season).
I hate Clara, and most of the stories have been guff for some time; I mean holy hell at the moon egg and forest London guff.

And I heard today River Song is back?? I'll give it a couple episodes but I don't think I can bother with this anymore :-/

Dryk

I've been fooled for two seasons now I thought jenna coleman was leaving the show.
I thought that the ending of Last Christmas was a bit on the nose with how obvious it was that they had no idea if Jenna was staying or not

I totally get what people mean when they say Capaldi seems like he's been playing the part for years this series. It's short, but you can definitely tell how they've made him softer without losing the snark. I'm a fan.

And total baseless speculation - the person they're discussing is Waffle-faced guy from the trailers who will turn out to be some Time Lord and friend/mentor of the Doctor and Master.

Ophelion

I thought that the ending of Last Christmas was a bit on the nose with how obvious it was that they had no idea if Jenna was staying or not

From what I understand, she's been scheduled to leave and then got cold feet about it at the last second twice at least now. Moffat seems more than happy to keep her as long as she's willing to stay.

Despite thinking Jenna Coleman is just about the cutest person on earth, I'm ready for Clara to go. I really think the 12th Doctor could use a more roguish companion that he can supply regular reality checks to. He needs an Ace is what I'm trying to say.

Edit: Just saw that prologue Hype! Hype! Hype! Ah, so good...

From what I understand, she's been scheduled to leave and then got cold feet about it at the last second twice at least now. Moffat seems more than happy to keep her as long as she's willing to stay.

Despite thinking Jenna Coleman is just about the cutest person on earth, I'm ready for Clara to go. I really think the 12th Doctor could use a more roguish companion that he can supply regular reality checks to. He needs an Ace is what I'm trying to say.

I'm OK with Jenna staying but I'd like to go back to a multi-companion TARDIS. The more people in that box, the better.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm OK with Jenna staying but I'd like to go back to a multi-companion TARDIS. The more people in that box, the better.

I've actually been wanting to see a rotating companion "chair" for a while now.

Imagine a whole season where each episode has a different companion. It would be great for introducing characters that wouldn't be as good regular companions but allow for interesting scenarios; it seems like the show's afraid of having non-human, non-modern-day companions, so this format would allow for that to change without them having to commit to a "risky" companion for longer than an episode.

Ophelion

Well, yes, if we do get back to multi-companion I'd be fine with that too. I don't hate Clara like some people do. I just think...well, doesn't she look a bit tired?

Ah, that new OT feel!

Happy that this is starting next week, feels far too long since the last episode at Christmas.

Prologue has me hyped as well.

RetroMG

I thought it was this weekend, and I wasn't really hyped. But then I saw the prologue, got hyped, and realized it was next weekend. :(

Excited that the Sisterhood of Karn is back. I loved them in Night of the Doctor, and I hoped we would see more of them. I'm not familiar with their other story/stories, though, so forgive me if they suck.

I stopped watching at the end of season 5. I'm trying to catch up before the next season starts.

Just watched "The Angels Take Manhattan".

Fucking hold me.

Fun fact: The line "The traffic was hell!" in The Angels Take Manhattan was originally scripted as "The traffic was a bitch!", but it was decided that it wasn't acceptable for the Doctor to be throwing that sort of language about.

Makes me chuckle every time, that.

Top Bottom