• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series Seven |OT| The Question You've Been Running From All Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

November 23rd 2013: 2 minutes until the 50th special finishes and the credits roll:

"Eccleston will be making an appearance any minute now!"

10 Doctors and assorted companions are unable to stop the menacing villain, a bright white light erupts from the TARDIS, the doors open, "Fantastic". Eccleston strides out and saves the day.

Ah yes, the cycle of hating the new Doctor for a little while. Been there.

Obligatory "Emily Mortimer should be the 12th Doctor" statement.

800px-Emily_Mortimer_at_2007_TIFF_cropped.jpg

Quick

Banned
10 Doctors and assorted companions are unable to stop the menacing villain, a bright white light erupts from the TARDIS, the doors open, "Fantastic". Eccleston strides out and saves the day.

"Looks like somebody needs a doctor..."

*other incarnations of the Doctor collectively groan*

maharg

idspispopd
The brightest blue, ever, makes me remember that Moffat's wedding rhyme in the S5 finale was seriously inspired.

Given that marriage is a topic that seems to be perpetually on Moffat's mind, I wouldn't be surprised if his desire to make it extra blue wasn't inspired by the something borrowed rhyme that had probably been rattling around in his head for years.

All Tennant did better than any other Doctor was pout.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Given that marriage is a topic that seems to be perpetually on Moffat's mind, I wouldn't be surprised if his desire to make it extra blue wasn't inspired by the something borrowed rhyme that had probably been rattling around in his head for years.

All Tennant did better than any other Doctor was pout.

Colin Baker.

Dizzy-4U

Finished watching season 4.

Pretty weak season for me. I think that "Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead" are probably the only episodes I kinda liked.

But oh God, that Agatha Christie episode was one of the worst episodes ever. It all felt like one of those shitty holodeck Sherlock Holmes episodes from TNG.

Anyways, kinda sad to see this doctor go, i liked him quite a bit.

Raoh

Or flawless wax statues. (believe it or not, only ONE of these isn't real!)

wEtPNtv.jpg

ELS4Ey2.png

OKMfpGd.png

lmfao, Baker looking like a pimp straight out of the chappelle show time traveling pimps skit.

article_attachment_1197691885.jpg

Finished watching season 4.

Pretty weak season for me. I think that "Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead" are probably the only episodes I kinda liked.

But oh God, that Agatha Christie episode was one of the worst episodes ever. It all felt like one of those shitty holodeck Sherlock Holmes episodes from TNG.

Anyways, kinda sad to see this doctor go, i liked him quite a bit.

I liked the season but hated that Agatha Christie episode too.

Quick

Banned
Just finished the Series 6 opener. Great way to kick things off.

I remember thinking how the scan the Doctor was doing on Amy was just incomplete when it was bouncing between "Pregnant" and "Not Pregnant", turning out to be telling even more than what we thought.

Few thoughts:
- Kovarian popping up out of nowhere increased the scare factor in the orphanage.
- Melody Pond dying in New York :(
- Mark Sheppard is awesome.
- So, the Silence replaced Amy with the ganger at the White House, right?

I'm currently on Curse of the Black Spot, and the premise is actually pretty good. It did fall flat, if I remember the last time I saw it.

Also, I get that the BBC didn't want to show blood, but they could've put more effort on the cut on Rory's hand than drawing a line with a pen, lol.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
- So, the Silence replaced Amy with the ganger at the White House, right?

"Since before America," the Doctor says later, so, no.

I like Moffat's helming of the show, I think for the most part he does good stuff (write better standalones than narratives admittedly) but this is basically one of the main things that get to me- the dangling. The alluding, the off-screen and the unseen.

I know RTD was sometimes a little too blatant in the way he spelled out and showed his stories, but i'd say Moffat is perhaps too much the other way.

The TARDIS exploding and a lot of the Silence and River stories too are huge examples of that- they've never really felt fleshed out enough, or more worryingly, concluded. I'm worried of that a lot going into this "DOKTAH WHO" and Fall of Eleven stuff we seem to be gearing towards, that it's not really going to happen or be shown.

Zeppu

The TARDIS exploding and a lot of the Silence and River stories too are huge examples of that- they've never really felt fleshed out enough, or more worryingly, concluded. I'm worried of that a lot going into this "DOKTAH WHO" and Fall of Eleven stuff we seem to be gearing towards, that it's not really going to happen or be shown.

That's a ridiculous thought. Why would something which has been built up to for the past two seasons just not conclude. I can (somewhat begrudgingly) understand people not liking Moffat's multi episode/season arcs but thinking that the Silence will fall/Doctor Who? will not be concluded at all is silly. Maybe it won't be as satisfying as we'd be hyped up to, but not just not happen at all.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I was such a fan of the 9th Doctor that I'll inevitably find the episode shitty if Eccleston isn't in :(.

8bit

Knows the Score
BBC South Africa has some expanded plot details, via bleedingcool.

http://www.bbcsouthafrica.com/programme-search?p=doctor-who

As yet officially unpublished in the UK, here are plot blurbs for this series’ remaining episodes of of Doctor Who. Thanks to BBC South Africa for sharing.

The Rings of Akhaten:
The Doctor whisks Clara off to the planet Akhaten, where the inhabitants are holding a ceremony that demands a sacrifice…

Cold War:
On a damaged Russian submarine in 1983, a frozen alien warrior is waking up – just as the TARDIS materialises.

Hide:
Something terrifying is hiding in Caliburn House, and the Doctor finds himself part of the ghost hunt.

Journey to the Centre of the Tardis:
The Tardis has crashed, Clara is lost inside, and the Doctor has 30 minutes before his ship explodes!

The Crimson Horror:
Something ghastly is afoot in Victorian Yorkshire, as bodies are found with their skin a waxy, glowing red.

Nightmare In Silver:
Hedgewick’s World of Wonders: the perfect theme park day out – and ground zero for a deadly silver resurrection.

Final episode of series 7 -
Someone is kidnapping the Doctor’s friends, leading him towards the one place in all of time and space that he should never go.
Rumoured to be titled
The Funeral Of River Song

I like Moffat's helming of the show, I think for the most part he does good stuff (write better standalones than narratives admittedly) but this is basically one of the main things that get to me- the dangling. The alluding, the off-screen and the unseen.

I know RTD was sometimes a little too blatant in the way he spelled out and showed his stories, but i'd say Moffat is perhaps too much the other way.

The greatest trick that Moffat has pulled on Who fans is making it look as if he's actually planned things ahead. I think he leaves himself little hooks to hang future plot points on, but doesn't actually plan things out very meticulously, instead choosing to pull things out of his ass along the way. IT would go a long way towards explaining his myriad rushed and/or incomplete conclusions.

gabbo

The greatest trick that Moffat has pulled on Who fans is making it look as if he's actually planned things ahead. I think he leaves himself little hooks to hang future plot points on, but doesn't actually plan things out very meticulously, instead choosing to pull things out of his ass along the way. IT would go a long way towards explaining his myriad rushed and/or incomplete conclusions.

Tht would explain a lot of things for sure, and is probably the most logical explanation.

mclem

4. I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of the Great Intelligence this season.

So here's a fun crazy theory:

The Great Intelligence is finally defeated inside the Tardis, destroyed in a climactic battle against Smith - but the fight takes its toll on Smith. Just as Smith is expiring, there's a moment of realisation on his face.
Whatever's representing the corporeal form of the Intelligence glows yellow, and breaks down into regeneration energy... and forms into a human form. "Hello... I'm the Doctor"
Matt Smith dies, the regeneration energy swooshes out of the doorway, into a snowy night in Victorian England

His smug level is reaching critical mass. He comes off as such a smarmy prick in interviews, I'm getting a little tired of it.

Bitching about Moffat is something I can do.

Everyone I know who watches this show has had their "Fuck this shit" moment regarding him. It's really interesting how the moment happened at completely different times for everyone. I was telling this one friend how I don't care about the show that much anymore because of what he's doing. She called me insane and Moffat a genius.

Then about a year later she came back with "Yeah, you were right, this sucks"

I've defended him to no end. I think it snapped for me both The Wedding of River Song, and last episode's "The tenth chapter's okay, but the eleventh's way better". So fucking smug.

The show has been like this since reboot, really. Davies was the same, Moffat just seems to be able to pay it off better. Do you think when he wrote "The Crash of the Byzantium" in Silence of the Library he knew what was going to happen with it in Time of Angels, or even that the crash involved Angels? It just sounded cool, like the Shadow Proclamation or whatever else. I really think the things dangle too long, though. The exploding TARDIS mystery, for instance, was now three years ago. Kids who enjoyed that at age 10 are 13 now! I wonder how many of them even remember it? It's too long for a show like this. I'm all for thing stretching through a little longer, especially the more subtle things - like the clear build-up of memory of the Doctor being erased through time definitely works across multiple seasons, but the larger arcs should be a season-to-season thing, I think.

RE those new episode synopsis posted above -- They should be spoilered, but for the sensitive I'd note that I would categorize them as fairly safe to read - they're the kind of things that you'd read in a TV listings magazine. I wouldn't read episode 7's, though.

Worth noting - The Crimson Horror is the 'Doctor Light' episode with Jenny, Strax and Vastra (they're this episode's Elton/Sally Sparrow or whatever) while Nightmare In Silver appears to be the opposite, and is supposedly very Doctor-heavy. Looking forward to both those for those reasons!

I've defended him to no end. I think it snapped for me both The Wedding of River Song, and last episode's "The tenth chapter's okay, but the eleventh's way better". So fucking smug.

Oh yes, he considers his Doctor far superior to RTD's. That why he's bringing back RTD's most iconic Doctor and companion.

Ugh. I'd expect to read this sort of half-arsed character assassination on Gallifrey Base at its worst, not here. It's amazing how smug has come to mean confident in your own work.

Oh yes, he considers his Doctor far superior to RTD's. That why he's bringing back RTD's most iconic Doctor and companion.

Ugh. I'd expect to read this sort of half-arsed character assassination on Gallifrey Base at its worst, not here.

Because if BBC execs wanted to push a really popular character for the 50th, Moffatt could say no? Don't get me wrong, I like Moffat's style, just not certain things about it, and his persona in interviews.

Is it? He was present for an awful lot of filming. It wasn't double banked.

DWM said
the story is told from the perspective of those three rather than the Doctor and Clara, and that it's basically 'their episode,'
so I think so.

Because if BBC execs wanted to push a really popular character for the 50th, Moffatt could say no? Don't get me wrong, I like Moffat's style, just not certain things about it, and his persona in interviews.

They didn't push anything on him, I'm sure. Moffat and Tennant are massive buddies.

Zeppu

Honestly, apart from the underwhelming 'hack' ending in The Wedding or River Song, I like Moffat's story arcs. Even in the RTD era, Moffat's episodes were pretty much the best. I don't get all the hate.

Moffat and Tennant are probably closer friends than Moffat and Smith are. Tennant regularly goes round to Moffat's for meals. They've been close for years.

If you want to assume the worst of Moffat, that's your own lookout. Spare us the cod-psychological analysis of Moffat bullshit, though, because I'm sick and tired of reading it on other forums and I don't want it here.

If you want to assume the worst of Moffat, that's your own lookout. Spare us the cod-psychological analysis of Moffat bullshit, though, because I'm sick and tired of reading it on other forums and I don't want it here.

C'mon, his unwillingness to conclude plotlines is clearly atypical of an oedipal complex.

C'mon, his unwillingness to conclude plotlines is clearly atypical of an oedipal complex.

You joke, but I'm a bit soured on the whole thing at the moment. Some twat on a different forum made a veiled allusion towards Moffat being a child molester-in-waiting because he writes the Doctor interacting with kids, and I'll got zero inclination to let any of that bullshit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom