• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodgers Lock in Mookie Bets for 13 Years and $380 Million (Boston am Cry)

ManaByte

Gold Member

Star outfielder Mookie Betts and the Los Angeles Dodgers are finalizing a massive 13-year deal worth more than $380 million that would keep the former American League MVP from reaching free agency this winter, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

The deal, which could be agreed upon as soon as Wednesday, would include the 2020 season, sources told ESPN.

Davey Cakes

What the fuck?

Granted, I have not paid much attention to baseball since the Red Sox won in 2007, but I have NEVER heard of a contract being this long.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I don’t think any rational Red Sox believed he was coming back .
He’s a great player but $30 million a year way too much even for his skills.

diffusionx

Gold Member
These contracts are out of hand and fuck the dodgers

Believe it or not, inflation adjusted, this contract is worth less than what Alex Rodriguez signed for in 2000. That contract was worth $252M, so $373M today, but over 10 years. Baseball contracts have not gone up that much, especially compared to the salary capped sports. The union has been bitching about it for a few years now.

Angels signed Mike Trout to a 12 year/$426M contract last year.

That still seems like a bargain considering they have a guy who could retire now and get in the HoF. I'd rather spend that than this TBH.

Last edited:
Organizations handing out these lengthy deals (especially in baseball with guaranteed contracts) are taking huge risks. I wouldn't do it if I were in charge.

Top Bottom