• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Re:Incarnation

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
FkruJPaXoAADtQd.jpg
2291729-box_ddpdoj.png

Boys M2 has released their opus magnum port.

DoDonPachi DOJ is widely considered one of the best, if not THE best, shmup of all time. CAVE games were firing on all cylinders when they put this bad boy out, and M2 release of this is amazing.

scnzn0.png

If you’ve ever wanted to get into shmups, or CAVE’s titles, this is a perfect entry point… almost. It’s only available in Japan so if you wanted to play on PS4 you need to make a JP PSN ID, and buy a Japanese PSN card off a site like play Asia. All easy and legit but it would be nice to get a western release.

You are getting tons of modes, including a super easy arcade to let you just blast through and have fun. Multiple soundtracks. Tons of replay value.

F6jEUt7aEAAin30

I know GAF isn’t huge on this genre, but man this is THE ONE to dip your toes in with.

Here’s a video that does a better job going into it:

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Japan only. I'll get a physical copy for sure, which is a better idea anyway.
You can also get their Battle Garegga and Ketsui ports, which are two other GOATed shmups. Plus, beginning with the Battle Garegga port, M2 arcade ports are probably the best ports of arcade games ever made. If you think you can't learn the game, you will understand how they work with these masterpieces.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I don't really like these bullet hell games.

It wasn't really my cup of tea either until I discovered Ikaruga when I was in a gaming rut. It reawakened an almost NES level of excitement for pure gaming. I wouldn't call the genre a fandom but I definitely have my radar on for the occasional top-shelf title.

amigastar

I'm not very into Shmups but i love Ikaruga. Might gonna check out this one some day (When it gets a western release)

Last edited:

Arsic

As someone that doesn't play shmups, what makes this one of the best games?
Is it more complex than other games, better story, levels, etc?
It’s a simple to understand point system, not ape shit bullet patterns or color overloads, and then a lot of nuances for the genre I’ll get into a bit but the video is a lot better I think explaining them.

An example in the video is the bullets are discernible always, and that has to do with intentional color saturation use to mute the level and enemies a bit so you can focus on them. No “stray” bullet killing you.

The selection of ships is just two, and 3 characters. Each ship has different benefits like how many bombs you get, and character changes shooting pattern focus. Try the combo you like.

Bosses are not bonkers in design but cool. They fit a fun asthetic of this future cyberpunk ghost in the shell vibe, and ramp in scaling. What’s nice is if you’re having a good run you can save multiple game states to load up immediately and go again to fine tune perfect a run.

The game also offers new players save states it creates itself of when you die. You can load those all up as “challenges” to rework from a few seconds before you died to overcome that spot. Making you better at what you lost.

The different modes offer spins on gameplay like infinite hyper meter modes, or smaller bullet sprays for you to have to be more accurate and hit less enemies at once.

The story is in Japanese so I couldn’t tell you if it’s good or not. The art heavily carries these games.

It’s a pure focus on gameplay. An arcade game where you load it up for 20 minutes to see how well you can do.

The main “goal” to push yourself for is if you can 1 credit clear normal mode or even super easy mode. It’s a very bliss feeling if you ever achieve it in one of these games, and the super easy mode and normal aren’t wildly different to help you get there. Super easy uses bombs for you to prevent a death if you have one, and a bit less bullets shot at you.

It’s a very fine tuned game that focuses on the best parts of the genre without being bloated or complex.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It wasn't really my cup of tea either until I discovered Ikaruga when I was in a gaming rut. It reawakened an almost NES level of excitement for pure gaming. I wouldn't call the genre a fandom but I definitely have my radar on for the occasional top-shelf title.
I like Ikaruga and think it is a little different because of the color switching.

Arsic

I'm not very into Shmups but i love Ikaruga. Might gonna check out this one some day (When it gets a western release)
You will likely never see it. Shmups are basically a net loss of revenue outside of Japan, and this is a $40 title which wouldn’t fly in the west where people wouldn’t pay more than $15 for this title.

The actual amount of work M2 puts into these is staggering though. Also a ton of the M2 published shmups are only on Japanese store like ESP Ra. De. Psi.

This game is incredible as well. You play as a flying psychic instead of a ship. Highly recommended.

ek2jzt1UGPlzhqSYZIePY7jSRL14rt4H7gmLQV_tttI.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:

BlackTron

Ikaruga is one of my favorite games ever made. Timeless. The art, soundtrack, gameplay, etc all fires on every cylinder.

That said Ikaruga 1CC is MUCH harder to do than a CAVE game.

Buried somewhere I still have a burned copy of the "Ikaruga Appreciate DVD" of someone acing the game on one credit. Beautiful to watch. And then there was the 1 guy on an arcade cabinet doing 2 player mode, one hand managed the joystick and buttons for each ship...that was some of the craziest gaming I've seen in my life. I'm lucky to clear the level 3/4 bosses with a few credits, I find them harder than the final boss. And forget hard mode where the enemies spew both color suicide bullets...hold my hand

Arsic

Buried somewhere I still have a burned copy of the "Ikaruga Appreciate DVD" of someone acing the game on one credit. Beautiful to watch. And then there was the 1 guy on an arcade cabinet doing 2 player mode, one hand managed the joystick and buttons for each ship...that was some of the craziest gaming I've seen in my life. I'm lucky to clear the level 3/4 bosses with a few credits, I find them harder than the final boss. And forget hard mode where the enemies spew both color suicide bullets...hold my hand

My brother in Christ :

Last edited:

Solidus_T

That said Ikaruga 1CC is MUCH harder to do than a CAVE game.
Nah not really. The polarity mechanic is cool, but the game is mostly based on memorization - incredibly well designed though. Perhaps it seems harder compared to CAVE if you're going for the first loop of a game like Dodonpachi or DOJ Black label. Omote or Ura loops are in a new category though. Plus, there's Mushihimesama 1.5/Futari Ultra mode, Espgaluda 2, DOJ White label, Ketsui etc
I mean, for comparison, it took 11 years for the first person to ever beat Daioujou Death Label, to acheive this.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Not that I'm good at CAVE shmups, but the click with me much better than Ikaruga. And for as much as I love Ikaruga, it beats me like Joe Jackson parented his children.

Last edited:

BlackTron

My brother in Christ :

This is of course insane to watch, but being tool assisted, I think what I saw was more impressive because it was on an arcade cabinet with video of his hands on the controls, in one shot. But I'm having trouble finding it and I guess it was 20 (!) years ago.

Of course even being tool assisted this guy is clearly better than I'll ever be.

Arsic

Nah not really. The polarity mechanic is cool, but the game is mostly based on memorization - incredibly well designed though. Perhaps it seems harder compared to CAVE if you're going for the first loop of a game like Dodonpachi or DOJ Black label. Omote or Ura loops are in a new category though. Plus, there's Mushihimesama 1.5/Futari Ultra mode, Espgaluda 2, DOJ White label, Ketsui etc
I mean, for comparison, it took 11 years for the first person to ever beat Daioujou Death Label, to acheive this.

giphy.gif

Ozzie666

Mad respect for Cave shooters and 2D goodness, admittedly I am terrible at bullet shooters. 2D games, never die. Companies like Cave deserved so much more success.
Progear still remains my favourite though.

Arsic

Mad respect for Cave shooters and 2D goodness, admittedly I am terrible at bullet shooters. 2D games, never die. Companies like Cave deserved so much more success.
Progear still remains my favourite though.
It’s the only shmup where you fly horizontally I enjoy. For some reason vertical is my jam.

Like I love cave but death smiles is…not it.

Most people who can't read Japanese will find the worldwide Resurrection release of this more accessible. It's available on Steam and Switch. Also iOS and Android.

Last edited:

Arsic

Most people who can't read Japanese will find the worldwide Resurrection release of this more accessible. It's available on Steam and Switch. Also iOS and Android.
Resurrection isn’t the same game at all. It’s not the superior either.

A better game with a western version is Ketsui Deathiny. Soundtrack alone is worth it.

Last edited:

Arsic

Ignoring the incredible haircut this man has going on , this video explains how to get into the game with some solid tips, and explaining mechanics.

Last edited:
It’s a good game but I really want Mushihimesama Futari. Have no idea why they only ever release the first game over and over. Ya I can play Futari on fightcade/MAME, but a remastered release would be nice.

Also release ESP Ra De in the west, even if digital only ffs.

Last edited:

nikos

Haven't played a shmup in forever. Really tempted to import this based on the enthusiasm in that video.

Assuming the Switch and PS4 versions are exactly the same?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Anyone UK based and imported this? Any advice like recommendations on who to buy it from etc? Thanks.

Last edited:

Arsic

Haven't played a shmup in forever. Really tempted to import this based on the enthusiasm in that video.

Assuming the Switch and PS4 versions are exactly the same?

Not sure. Often Switch ports have more input lag, but M2 is really good at what they do, so if it has more it may just be a frame.

Nitty_Grimes

Sorry stupid question - they ship to UK?

EDIT: I'm guessing you wouldn't have said it otherwise.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There’s a cubic megaton of shovelware on any digital storefront but no, let’s make Cave shooters Japan-only releases.

Oh wait, there’s Cave shooters on any digital storefront too but no, let’s keep the best one in Japan.

Stuff that borders on pedo rape simulation makes it to the west but no, not DDP.

Christ, this shit is tiring.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Sorry stupid question - they ship to UK?

EDIT: I'm guessing you wouldn't have said it otherwise.
They do and it's super easy. I was going to get Ketsui and Battle Garegga from Play Asia but they quoted something ridiculous like £70 for shipping and taxes, so from then on I've used Amazon Japan exclusively.

They often throw in little extras so I've ended up with a collection of magazines about old arcade games and plastic document wallets. It's a bit patchy for older releases in terms of what ships to the UK when it's through sellers, but it's perfect for pre-orders and more recent stuff.

Nitty_Grimes

Thank you - cant seem to find this particular game mentioned mind you.

EDIT: found it.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

They do and it's super easy. I was going to get Ketsui and Battle Garegga from Play Asia but they quoted something ridiculous like £70 for shipping and taxes, so from then on I've used Amazon Japan exclusively.

They often throw in little extras so I've ended up with a collection of magazines about old arcade games and plastic document wallets. It's a bit patchy for older releases in terms of what ships to the UK when it's through sellers, but it's perfect for pre-orders and more recent stuff.
Ah feck it dont have a mobile number I can use it is linked to my Amazon UK account.

Naked Lunch

This game is truly one of the best shmups. Completely insane.
I absolutely love how you go back to some of the same areas of DoDonPachi.

Ive been buying these on PS4, but I really really hope the M2 Shottriggers line makes it back to Xbox, one day. I think there might be a chance with all the other shmups suddenly popping up.
At least it got Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
There's quite a few CAVE shooters I prefer over Daioujou like Saidaioujou. Or Ketsui. Or Espgaluda II. Or Death Smiles 1 and 2 or the Mushihime games or Akai Katana. Other than that, yeah it's bomb!

Top Bottom