• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here still like AVGN?

Midn1ght

That movie was awful.
The movie was great.
OlLSAgX.jpg

Sojiro

Loved the videos back in the day, and there are still some current videos I do enjoy, but a lot feel phoned in now. I think that naturally happens if you have been doing the same schtick for over 20 years though. The Doom video he did a little while back was really good stuff, so there are still some solid episodes here and there.

Last edited:

Thabass

I do every now and then, but he's definitely coasting now. Not as a funny as it used to be, but that's just because father time catches up with us all.

McGILLAZ

I am watching his Castlevania multipart series again, and I find myself wishing that he would make another series of this discussing all the ones he did not talk about the back then. All the portable titles, the PS2 and PS3 titles, and also Bloodstained. What are some games you would like to see him discuss?
I understand where you're coming from and the reason this particular multi-part "review" works so well is that he has passion behind it...I can't remember what episode I first felt it, but at some stage AVGN just felt like he was phoning it in. AVGN has almost become written by committee and it rots because I still remember when I first discovered this guy while I was in college - nothing great lasts forever?

RagnarokIV

i like brown bwiks in minecwaft

No time 5:40 muh kidz

yeah.. uh huh.. yeah... uh...

the six snix flix

yeah.. mhmm.. yeah mhm..

the WOOFMAN

• LOL
Reactions: RNG

RAIDEN1

I think he's ok apart from the mandatory sponsorship plugin at the beginning of his videos, I don't necessary sense a huge change...

Aldynes

I've been a fan since the early YOUTUBE '06 era / Screwattack days.

For me it's pure nostalgia and been a part of my teen / adult life since, watched each episodes of AVGN multiple times and his other stuff too.
It's very clear you can't keep the quality and passion for this long and 200+ episodes without diminishing return, in France we got Joueur du Grenier, IMO the best "ripp-off" or AVGN clone that still kick ass to this day, even more so than AVGN, mainly due to being a true duo (Fred et Seb) with a very great writer (Karim Debbache) and they increased production value exponentially as soon as they got money rolling in, check out their videos it's amazing, bottom line they basically surpassed James since 2012 with their Dragon's Lair review that was their break out moment (imo) because of all the above and they worked with other amazing content creators / youtubers to make interesting stuff, unlike James before he did some celebs episodes.

But then again the NERD formula is what I like the most, the shit jokes, practical effect, the rage etc... of all the clones we got over the years (Nostalgia critic, Happy video game Nerd (now Stop skeleton from fighting, Irate Gamer...) the only one I felt genuinely sad was Spoony, Noah antwiler, what a waste man, his stuff was amazing too bad he went completely inept since.

AVGN got so many good stuff, the classic or golden era is still enjoyable to this day, since the Screenwave partnership (and the AVGN Movie) it's clearly hit and miss, AVGN could have ended for me in the Vegas Stakes episode which I consider one of the all time best episode he made.

I still love what he does, now that's the Screenwave guys are out, he's returned to the more classic formula for the episodes which I prefer so hey, long live the king!

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I like him. I don't really watch his stuff much these days but I still subscribe. I find it weird that occasionally small YouTube channels appear in my feed, and they are basically dedicated to dredging up "drama" within his production team. It honestly comes off as total unhinged stalker stuff. James is a family man who is just cashing in on the character he created, I doubt he's even involved much in the day to day stuff. He's a hell of a DIY filmmaker and I'll always be a fan of his.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I liked him early on but he ran out of steam. Finding out he wasn't really a gamer didn't help. He's one of those guys that played games as a kid and stopped.

I enjoy his movie talk way more than video games. He was way more knowledgeable and passionate. Any channel that gets big production values and brings in a whole bunch of a people, I'm out. That's why I'm still watching someone like Happy Console Gamer. You can watch a video of his from 10 years ago to now and they are still the same. That's comforting.

RNG

No, dude checked out a long time ago after he did the terrible movie and didn't make it big in Hollywood. His passion was always in movies and not games. However, his old videos will always remain fun to watch because he had genuine anger in them and the games he played were from his actual childhood.

ssringo

Stopped a few episodes after he returned from the movie. Just wasn't the same. I do love his older stuff though. Might check out what he's been up to recently and if it's a shitload of fuck I'll rewatch his older stuff again in honor of the legacy.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Stopped a few episodes after he returned from the movie. Just wasn't the same. I do love his older stuff though. Might check out what he's been up to recently and if it's a shitload of fuck I'll rewatch his older stuff again in honor of the legacy.

The newer stuff is a shitload of fuck. Hard to say why, but its a combination of us as viewers getting older, James becoming less interested, having more external people work on the shows etc.

Griffon

You can only go on so long talking about nostalgic games.
He long ran out of good material for AVGN, and he could never pivot into new shows.

Board James had huge potential but he fucked it up and nothing decent came after they stopped doing it.

Dude is getting old, still playing a character he created in his 20s. It's getting sad now.

Yes, but once he got all sentimental with his videos, I tuned out and unsubscribed. I don't like feeling all lovey-dovey when watching his videos.

Krathoon

The funny part about the movie is that...
...the crackpot conspiracy story turns out to be right. There is this giant monster wanting to take over the world.

Krathoon

What irritates me is that the physical collections of the videos are expensive. You might as well just download them off archive.org.

I found a few cheap collections. The first 100 episodes one and one of the addons.

Alebrije

Like some of his series like the one with the guy from Home Alone...

He has been doing the same stuff for decades so its hard to find something new from him but at least he is trying

Krathoon

He can easily make something new. He just does not seem to have the nerve to do it.

Just get some actors together like 5 second films.

Top Bottom