• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does clipping ruin a game for you?

jelly

I notice it but not really bothersome. As long as effort has been made to limit it, I understand it's tough and they have to balance.

Renna Hazel

I think I'd have to stop playing video games if this ruined them for me. I don't think I play anything where this doesn't happen.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yes there are great exceptions, but they are, well, exceptions. Does this gen really feel like a 16x jump in complexity? Even great looking games like Rise of the Tomb Raider have a complete 360 version.

I know, it's not lazy devs, but perhaps, just perhaps, priotities could be better sorted out. Same goes with the space requirements/lack of compression.

It's like FFXV. Those food models are photorealistic, but characters have all this clipping and wooden animations that it sours on the experience.. was it really worth it to dedicate hundresds of man hours making that food to look real when the game needed work in other parts?

I know what you mean and I agree with you. I said this many times, this gen it seems developers more focus on making their games looking pretty as possible rather than using tech interesting way. I mean just look at InFAMOUS Second Son, sure it looks pretty than pervious games on surface level and yet it doesn't feel like they are using any thing interesting with their tech.

We never fought any big monster in Second Son as we did in InFAMOUS 2.
20110412infamous2_5.jpg

I don't think I've ever played a game without any instances of clipping. If clipping bothers someone that much I think theyd have a hard time enjoying any games at all

Neither does Zelda BOTW... I think.

BotW definitely does

Like most graphical deficiencies that aren't horrible/inconsistent framerates, persistent screen tearing, or the inability to actually make out what's happening on screen, I'm fine with most issues as long as they aren't really obvious during cutscenes.

Not really, if it's just for a brief moment I probably won't even notice it or I'll forget about it a second later. Now, if something as basic as your character's running animation, or wearing a particular piece of clothing/armor will introduce constant clipping, that's when it becomes a problem. I won't use certain hairstyles in Bloodborne or the Souls games for example because they'll clip through most outfits.

Even in these cases I would say it doesn't 'ruin' the game for me, it just bugs me.

SOLDIER

nope but whiny fandoms do

In that moment in Final Fantasy XV when Gladio's mullet clipped through his shoulders, I knew the game was a piece of shit ten years in the making and that Tabata was a hack.

Edit: Of course FFXV actually got mentioned already.

Tealmann

It annoys me a lot when there's extremely obvious clipping in cutscenes, where there's no way the animators didn't notice it. There's a scene in Hellblade where I thought she was supposed to be sinking into the ground, but it turned out she was just clipping wildly though the ground while crawling.

There's also a scene in MGSV where you get bitten by a snake, but it's right after a huge fight with multiple tanks, so of course anyone would be wearing the heavy armor, which means in that scene a random snake is able to bite through a solid inch of metal and still poison you.

Top Bottom