• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the PS3 browser get crappier with every firmware update? Plus a Sony rant.

CozMick

Banned
Cross game chat is available at a Premium on XBL, so it must dip into Sonys pocket to develop it.

Maybe they just don't see it as an investment at this time or just don't want to charge for it.

NeoUltima

sGefa.gif

see5harp

CozMick said:
Cross game chat is available at a Premium on XBL, so it must dip into Sonys pocket to develop it.

Maybe they just don't see it as an investment at this time or just don't want to charge for it.

Nah, I'm pretty sure they just started off with a really bad product and have been scrambling since launch to get it where it needs to be. Private chat has been in the 360 featureset since launch and doesn't even require a Gold account.

yencid

see5harp said:
Nah, I'm pretty sure they just started off with a really bad product and have been scrambling since launch to get it where it needs to be. Private chat has been in the 360 featureset since launch and doesn't even require a Gold account.
nah im pretty sure the bitching will shift to something else if it comes out, unless it comes out for PSN+ to be hosters.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
see5harp said:
Private chat has been in the 360 featureset since launch and doesn't even require a Gold account.

Private chat is in PSN as well. But both are outside of games right?

see5harp

yencid said:
nah im pretty sure the bitching will shift to something else if it comes out, unless it comes out for PSN+ to be hosters.

This is probably true. I was just stating the facts. I give Sony a lot of credit with how much things have changed since the PSN was basically a IM client.

see5harp

levious said:
Private chat is in PSN as well. But both are outside of games right?

On the PS3, yes, which is why no one uses it. I actually don't even bitch about the browser because I don't use it.

mollipen

Ranger X said:
Console profile avatars... they really make you console experience great? When you have a unique avatar you feel like your somebody? lol Who gives a fist fuck about details like that if even just half sain mentally? Why not buying them if they are so detrimental?

Delete your avatar here on GAF before you try making this statement, or else you look like an ass.

lljride

I've pretty much come to grips with what the browser can and can't do and I'm mostly okay with it. Having to go through secondapps for GAF sucks (no offense to the app itself, I just don't like the idea of having to use the mobile version when the regular GAF worked fine until a few weeks ago).

It streams videos pretty well for the most part (usually). Search is fucked up on youtube, but that's really the only other thing that pisses me off atm.

Lord Error said:
Use this for PS3 GAF browsing, Iphone GAF browsing, PSP GAF browsing etc. Then thank CKohler.

http://secondapps.com/neogaf/

It works great for sofa-GAF through PS3.

Also, lol to your avatars rant. Would you rather they give you some free avatars or the actual free online gaming that they do? I'd much rather have it so they make money off of extraneous stuff like PS+ or Avatars than what is practically a mandatory subscription.
Thank you so much for posting this. GAF has been tough to read on the iPhone since the site update. You've saved me hours of frustration.

see5harp said:

Almost all Live/dashboard features have been there since launch. Even party chat is only an evolution of something that has been part of the framework for a long time. Sony is indeed behind and is trying to catch up.

I think that they are in a catch 22 now concerning cross game chat. Making it Plus only will mean that they can never go back. People will buy plus for only that. And it'll always remain somewhat of an incomplete experience as long as others in your friendlist don't have plus.

Including it for free will please all gamers but I bet Sony will sees it as a lost opportunity to make money out of it.

levious

see5harp said:
On the PS3, yes, which is why no one uses it. I actually don't even bitch about the browser because I don't use it.

I was comparing it to xbox silver abilities... you mentioned private chat being available to non-Gold members...

see5harp

PjotrStroganov said:
Almost all Live/dashboard features have been there since launch. Even party chat is only an evolution of something that has been part of the framework for a long time. Sony is indeed behind and is trying to catch up.

I think that they are in a catch 22 now concerning cross game chat. Making it Plus only will mean that they can never go back. People will buy plus for only that. And it'll always remain somewhat of an incomplete experience as long as others in your friendlist don't have plus.

Including it for free will please all gamers but I bet Sony will sees it as a lost opportunity to make money out of it.

Yea, it's really uncomfortable to think of the pressure their PSN teams must be under. I give them a ton of credit for really sticking with the product and moving it forward. Aside from having to sync, I think trophies were a big success for Sony. The browser though...it's just a bullet point. Much less useful than the laptop-less users would have you believe.

StuBurns

Banned
Who honestly gives a flying fuck about an avatar? Fuck sake.

People bitching about paid avatars. Sony can charge the idiots stupid enough to buy that gash and the rest of us get a service for free because Sony make money else where. I thank the lord there are dip-shits stupid enough to buy little pictures of Madison to stick next to their username.

yencid

PjotrStroganov said:

were they in the original Xbox live?

see5harp

levious said:
I was comparing it to xbox silver abilities... you mentioned private chat being available to non-Gold members...

O sorry. Yea, the silver member would obviously be playing by himself :(

yencid said:
were they in the original Xbox live?

Cross game chat? Yes. Party chat. No.

Also, cross game invite, ability to join online matches via dashboard etc. The framework was very complete from the start. I bet very little change was needed since then, except for another frontend.

Oh, wait. You mean Xbox, Xbox live. No:p

levious

see5harp said:
O sorry. Yea, the silver member would obviously be playing by himself :(

but wait, you can play a game(offline) and private chat at the same time? Pretty sure you can't do that on PSN, the video chat is a dedicated screen last time I looked. I guess PSN has text messaging over Silver though. I really hate +...

PjotrStroganov said:

Also, cross game invite, ability to join online matches via dashboard etc. The framework was very complete from the start. I bet very little change was needed since then, except for another frontend.

I think he meant Xbox 1 Live features. Wasn't clear if you meant 360 launch or Live launch.

Ranger X

PjotrStroganov said:

I'm not sure it's that much a dilemna. I would make this part of PSN+. It's not that big of a feature, its just some more convenience for some people. You could still communicate and chat with anybody. The only instance you couldn't is if you're not playing the same game -- and yet even then you can still communicate. Sony should charge for cross chat seriously, it's almost a no brainer the more I think about it.

CozMick

Banned
If XBL had the XMB then it would be practically flawless, but in its current state the dashboard makes me wanna throw up with the lagginess and advertising.

see5harp

levious said:
but wait, you can play a game(offline) and private chat at the same time? Pretty sure you can't do that on PSN, the video chat is a dedicated screen last time I looked. I guess PSN has text messaging over Silver though. I really hate +...

Yea, you can send someone an invite to a private chat no matter what he's doing and he can chat. Obviously he wouldn't be using netflix, but he could be playing a game, browsing the marketplace, watching a DVD, etc. If you send someone a party invite, on the other hand, it won't allow the silver member to accept the invite.

yencid

PjotrStroganov said:

Oh, wait. You mean Xbox, Xbox live. No:p
yes i meant the big black box xbox.

Cday

Banned
I think I read somewhere that the PS3 browser is based on a mobile phone browser and it clearly hasn't been updated in a good while if at all.

Gamerpics on the 360 don't mean anything anymore since this avatar shit and most people just make their gamerpic a picture of their avatar anyway which sickens me. At least Sony didn't have you pay for something only to have it deemed useless the next day like MS did with old themes on 360.

yencid said:
yes i meant the big black box xbox.

It did not have cross game chat but on the "dashboard" you could invite people into a voice chat room which held up to 8 people iirc.

Let me in

The last stable release of NetFront was in January, and who knows what version the PS3 is using.

They need to use an open-source engine like Gecko/WebKit and be done with it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
acm2000 said:
browser on a console is just retarded, period, and AFAIK, the ps3 browser only has access to 256MB ram

It's not retarded.
I'm sure that most of us that use it, use it for a reason.
I have wired internet in my living room and I can only use it with one device at a time, so when I'm online with my PS3 and I need to look something up or when I use it to pass the time while I'm downloading something, it's my only option.
It's not like I use it over my laptop just because I love my PS3 so much.

levious

acm2000 said:
browser on a console is just retarded, period, and AFAIK, the ps3 browser only has access to 256MB ram

they're great for youtube on both wii and ps3... why would you complain about an extra feature?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
acm2000 said:
Its a good idea, it just needs to be done right and have enough ram to cover it. Get Opera to make you a browser next time Sony. You'd probably save money and you'd come out with something awesome.

Didn't Nintendo do that? How was the Wii browser?

edit: Yeah, browser is awesome for youtube.

Truespeed

acm2000 said:

No it's not. With a good bluetooth keyboard it's actually usuable and not a bad way to consume content on your big screen. As for 256MB of RAM - I don't see why it couldn't use the RSX memory or the virtual memory for that matter.

yencid

Truespeed said:
No it's not. With a good bluetooth keyboard it's actually usuable and not a bad way to consume content on your big screen. As for 256MB of RAM - I don't see why it couldn't use the RSX memory or the virtual memory for that matter.
because they would have to optimize it to use it. the people bitching about it are a vocal minority.

NeoUltima

Last thing Sony wants is people getting free themes, wallpapers, etc through the web browser. They don't really have much incentive to improve it. They're going to make it as hard as they can to make sure you use the PSstore for such things.

Ashes

Banned
Isn't there a free game you get to own for life on psn+ in euroland?

On the ps3 browser: at this point in time, they can just virtually tear it up and throw it in the bin for all I care. And why don't they get someone in the broswer business to actually design a browser for the ps3? Mozilla/opera/Chrome amongst a whole host of others...

Let me in

BobsRevenge said:
Its a good idea, it just needs to be done right and have enough ram to cover it. Get Opera to make you a browser next time Sony. You'd probably save money and you'd come out with something awesome.

Didn't Nintendo do that? How was the Wii browser?

I completely forgot about this, but that's an ever better option. The Wii browser was fine and I don't remember it ever crashing on me.

I don't browse on my TV, but I think a nice solution would be if they allowed Opera to develop a PS3 version just how Apple finally relented with the iPhone.

DonMigs85

Arsenic said:
I've gotten all my slots freed. I told them about my "past mistakes" and wanted to feel comfortable purchasing Plus and future games. I had to go through some higher ups and after 40 mins i've gotten all my slots freed. It didnt work out so well for my friend though, but he did get one slot freed
Did your friend use the same story you did? Hopefully I can convince them, after all I'm the only one who has access to the one and only email address used for that account, and the original console's serial number.

mollipen

Ranger X said:
? I don't know what you mean there.

Read what you said again:

Console profile avatars... they really make you console experience great? When you have a unique avatar you feel like your somebody? lol Who gives a fist fuck about details like that if even just half sain mentally? Why not buying them if they are so detrimental?

You mocked somebody for caring about unique avatars on the PS3, going so far as to say he wasn't mentally sane due to his caring about such, or asking if such things made him "feel like somebody."

And yet, here you are on GAF, with a unique avatar of your choosing. You obvious care enough about avatars to have one on here, and yet you're mocking somebody else for caring about avatars under a different situation.

acm2000 said:

iPhone, up until the latest revision, only had 256MB of RAM. And?

TheBrain76 said:
I tried this. I can go to individual threads, but when I click the gaming tab it goes to a wall of crap text.

I'll post this in here too considering the point was brought up again and this might be a solution:

Of course if you can't get GAF up the normal way, use that tip someone posted about googling. But to emlinate (at least I've not had this problem so far when using it) the wall of text that comes up a lot, if there's any topic you want to read, hold the X button down over the link to open it in a new window. Voila!

Still more of a pain but at at least Gaf can still function on the PS3 browser.

Ranger X

shidoshi said:
You mocked somebody for caring about unique avatars on the PS3, going so far as to say he wasn't mentally sane due to his caring about such, or asking if such things made him "feel like somebody."

I did not we shouldn't use avatar. I have an avatar on PSN too and yet I don't care for avatars. Would never buy one and would never care there are new free ones or not. For me the caring stops after "having an avatar" and sometimes it takes me week to replace it when my photobucket account goes over its alloted bandwith. This is showing yet again how I care for avatars. If you can see the different between the careless me and this guy about avatar now... I will give you a "golf clap".

Top Bottom