• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"

Videoneon

Mattrick should just not said anything. Now he and his little soundbyte come off as stupid and no amount of bravado will earn you any more confidence from your base. Just giving your detractors (and any other observer) fuel.

Backwards compatibility has served me this gen, on all consoles

Halo 2 > 360
Mega Man X Anniversary Collection > PS3
Skies of Arcadia > Gamecube

It's not useless.

What Donnie boy fails to consider is its that 5% that are buying the console in its first year.

If console makers aren't going to make their consoles to be backwards or forwards compatible then I will never invest in anything digital from them again. EVER!!!

I hope the game industry crashes like it did with Atari in the early 80's.
What MS proposes is utter garbage and I hope they fail hard

Teknoman

Well unless PS4 is backwards compatible or has some great exclusive I cant wait to play, i'll most likely be waiting on that as well.

What system is Metal Gear Solid V releasing on?

riflen

It makes sense for MS to preach this now. Condition the consumer for what is to come. How long do you think these 'cloud-enhanced' XBone games are going to be playable once the second sequel arrives or the player base falls? Now, how about once the XBone+one is on sale? Yeah.

KDR_11k

How many of the early adopters fall into those 5%? Of course usage of BC declines once a library of new games is available but what about before then?

RdN

Yeah, when Halo 2 was the biggest game in the market, including backwards compatibility wasn't wrong. Now that they don't have a big hit that could support the console, it is.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
“If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards.”

It's like they don't even try anymore. It's really sad.

Eusis

I think people are willing to accept that their retail games won't move forward.

Despite it not really being that different, I think people are going to feel very uncomfortable and upset at their digital games not moving forward.
And it'd going to be doubly worse when the entire X1 library may be digital effectively, and this is the mindset of the people in charge. Not "sorry we made a mistake and it really just isn't convenient to keep it" like PS3, but "haha BC is so backwards why should we bother?" Sends the message to me they ALSO won't care about this with their next Xbox, and by proxy whenever they cut the network here the system will be a break, and the next one may be in the same situation.

Nip it in the bud, one way or another, not unless long term availability of games simply does not matter to you, and that would be very disheartening if many people really felt that it was OK to just let the games vanish.

quickwhips

I'm a big xbox fan and he should shut up. BC never mattered in the past because they didn't have the network they have now. It matters now more than ever. I don't understand microsoft or sony on this stance.

squidyj

It's better to have kinect and TV features come at a cost to games on the new console.

I didn't say MS made good decisions with the XB1 but that I agree with this one.

Did it hurt the Xbox 360, PS3, or any past systems that featured BC? Serious question.

Personally, I think its just cost cutting for companies when producing the consoles. PS2 didnt seem to suffer, Wii (power aside) didnt seem to suffer...and they cut GC BC later to cheapen production im sure. PS3 and 360 didnt seem to suffer, and same for the PS3 cutting out PS2 BC in later models...just seemed like cost cutting.

...isn't it pretty obvious that it hurt the ps3 by being one of the factors that drove up the initial ps3 price?

Chinner

Banned
when games used to be more single player orientated then i think there was a 100% reason to want BC.

now? majority of games are multiplayer with yearly literation, so BC isn't really as important. why play call of doody 5 when you can play call of doody 8 with better graphics.

It probably sounded clever in his head...

I think BC is overrated in terms of being an essential feature for the mass market too - but this was not a good soundbyte to make.

I originally purchased the Xbox 360 elite when it was first released. Due to some severe financial difficulty at that time, I was forced to sell it about a year after I got it.

As much as I hate the premise of the One, I might have actually considered picking one up if it had BC and wasn't a trillion dollars.

Oh well. Guess I'm not too important. :)

Somnid

BC does lose a majority of it's value 3 years in but it's essential for the first year. There are not going to be enough games to justify either PS4 or XB1 as systems, I can guarantee that.

IrishNinja

MS doesn't want people too comfortable with their prior purchases from their ecosystem, sounds like the kind've forward-thinking i've come to expect

That 5% is 100% of GAF.

this mess of a thread proved that's not nearly the case, sadly

Halo 2 > 360

It's not useless.

hey i like this guy

It feels odd to hear things like this, that BC doesn't matter and if it does, then it's only for a brief period. It's a very strange logic when you´re used to Steam and have the majority of your PC games library bought, since 2007 or so, available with just a few mouseclicks. BC is not the same thing now as it was before digital distribution.

Mattrick should just not said anything. Now he and his little soundbyte come off as stupid and no amount of bravado will earn you any more confidence from your base. Just giving your detractors (and any other observer) fuel.

Halo 2 > 360

It's not useless.

I believe I played a bunch of Halo 2 at the start, and also finally played through Shenmue II.

Top Bottom