• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump's Ghostwriter Tells All

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

I should have clarified, but i meant to say that yes, people have used the word like that, but I figured that was more due to them not knowing what it meant. T.V. shows make jokes about that all the time.

People know what they are meaning to say when they say words. It is a correct usage of the word. What TV shows are you seeing where people make jokes about it?

This guy gets it.

That doesn't make sense--my first reply was about words that mean the opposite based on context.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anyways, sorry for going offtopic. My opinion regarding Trump is that the guy is an incompetent liar and I sincerely hope he won't be your next president, which thankfully seems unlikely at this point.

Don't be. Just as with Trump and his appeals toward White supremacy, the proper use of the word "literally" is a conversation the American people need to have.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm not religious, but, for lack of better words, may God save this world if this douchebag become president. He will make Bush look like a decent president by comparison.

Calvero

Banned
“I wrote the book. I wrote the book. It was my book. And it was a No. 1 best-seller, and one of the best-selling business books of all time. Some say it was the best-selling business book ever.”

god, i can't get over the fact someone really does talk this way

RPGCrazied

Haha, of course he didn't write it. And man, is that phone call recent? This is exactly why he can't be President. The way he talks to people that don't like or agree with him. He just turns into a massive asshole. Not someone I'd want to be President in all honesty.

Engell

aah people who believe their own lies, reminds me of this classic.
1305_1_JimmyJoke2.gif

South Park - Season 13 Episode 5 "Fishsticks"

CloudWolf

I like how he says "some say it's the best selling business book of all time", as if that's a matter of opinion.

This is a Millennial issue. Nobody gave a fuck about this until young internet dweebs learned vocabulary.
Yeah, it's weird. I'm not from the US and I've known since I was a child that "literally" can mean both.

thefro

Schwartz just gave an interview on "Good Morning America"

ABC said:
“You know, it’s a terrifying thing. I haven’t slept a night through since Donald trump announced for president because I believe he is so insecure, so easily provoked and not -- not particularly, nearly as smart as people might imagine he is,” he said. “I do worry that with the nuclear codes he would end civilization as we know it.”

He continued, “This is a man who has more sociopathic tendencies than any candidate in my adult life that I’ve observed.”

Schwartz said he wrote “every word” of “The Art of the Deal,” Trump’s part memoir and part business advice book, which held the no. 1 spot on the New York Times’ bestseller list for 51 weeks.

“Donald trump made a few red marks when I handed him the manuscript, but that was it,” he said.

Guys, contranyms are actually really awesome. What's lame is getting upset when people don't see words the way you wish they were used. Given that we all knew what that poster meant, I don't see the crisis here. Isn't that what words are for?

Let's get back to the important work of laughing at Donald Trump!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I actually think one reason for Trump's appeal is that he has the mannerism of a sneaky, conniving buddy that is there to help you pull off something dishonest.

Trump is fucking great at leading a bunch of people, willingly, down a path of self-delusion. He's the guy who helps you believe in everything you want to be true. While distracting his audience from any lingering doubt that it's all bullshit.

HvySky

Lying is second nature to him,” Schwartz said. “More than anyone else I have ever met, Trump has the ability to convince himself that whatever he is saying at any given moment is true, or sort of true, or at least ought to be true.”

This quote sums up Trump perfectly for me, and is something I noticed back when his campaign was just getting started. The man is a pathological liar, through and through. It doesn't even seem like he's intentionally trying to mislead and lie to people, but that in his mind, he actually believes the shit he says. His perception is his reality, and it's incredibly and dangerously skewed.

Also,

"I just talked to The New Yorker—which, by the way, is a failing magazine that no one reads—and I heard you were critical of me.”

This killed me because I can so easily imagine Trump throwing in that quick jab at The New Yorker. So insecure. I love it.

Downhome

It might not matter to some. Notably, a lot of presidents (including Bush Jr. and Obama) who I am sure are just as, if not more busy as Trump, are big fans of reading. It matters to me for a couple of reasons:

1. It's a good thing to be a role model of.

2. I'd like my leaders to be intellectually curious. When people read (no matter what it is), it shows me that they're learning about something, following their curiosity.

3. Reading comprehension. I am not questioning Trump's ability to read, as much as I am questioning his patience. As president, metric tons of information flows through advisers, memos, and so much more. If you can't bring yourself to read through a book, how will he process all the information that is presented to him and make an informed decision?

While not entirely comparable, it's pretty crazy to make this out like the guy doesn't have reading comprehension. I'm sure he has tons of advisers, memos, and so much more that he goes over every single day of his life considering the business he is in, and now with what he is going through in this election. I think it's equally as crazy to make him out to have the "attention span of a gnat".

I think that it has more to do with him simply focusing so much of his attention onto what he believes matters the most at any given time. It may not be what you or someone else believes he should be focused on, and it may or may not be the right thing at the time, but still. I refuse to believe that someone gets to his level being like so many want to make him out to be.

Revolver

"I just talked to The New Yorker—which, by the way, is a failing magazine that no one reads—and I heard you were critical of me.”

Such a Trump thing to say. Petty and thin skinned all at once.

While not entirely comparable, it's pretty crazy to make this out like the guy doesn't have reading comprehension. I'm sure he has tons of advisers, memos, and so much more that he goes over every single day of his life considering the business he is in, and now with what he is going through in this election. I think it's equally as crazy to make him out to have the "attention span of a gnat".

I think that it has more to do with him simply focusing so much of his attention onto what he believes matters the most at any given time. It may not be what you or someone else believes he should be focused on, and it may or may not be the right thing at the time, but still. I refuse to believe that someone gets to his level being like so many want to make him out to be.

Are you kidding. Nothing about Donald Trump's success seems to even have much to do with any admirable talent or anything. He had a millionaire father and is a big enough asshole to fuck everyone else over to get ahead and a big enough narcissist to do all of the other shit he does sell himself in entertainment and media to increase visibility of his brand. Of course he could have a problem maintaining attention. Of course he doesn't have to be well read or even of above average intelligence.

sinxtanx

Sounds like a death threat

Trump is literally* going to kill everyone he does not like when elected President.

*statement should be taken literally**

**literally here meaning "with deep sincerity***"

***irony****

****legitimate dread

ElFly

The art of the deal is amazing in that it tries to paint Trump as a cool, good guy, but the douchebagginess still seeps through the book.

It is worrying that even a book written to paint you in the most positive light possible fails at that so much.

Boke1879

I know some people think it's crazy and kind of a joke when people bring up the nuclear codes and Trump, but think about it.

The man can't even take simple smack talk from Elizabeth Warren without malfunctioning.

Now imagine a world leader publicly embarrassing him. You just don't know what this man will do, and that's the scary thing.

daveo42

Banned
Trump supporters will pan it because The New Yorker is liberal media trash that only exists to critize real intelligent American people like Trump and leave us in about the same position we are in now. Hopefully it'll be enough to dissuade anyone currently on the fence...but who knows at this point.

yo is this Bojack Horseman

Sounds like we didn't get any of the warts though.

Not the most democratic of thoughts, but whoever votes for Trump should be stripped of their rights to vote.

It would be much easier to find a legal means of blocking Trump from serving in public office due to his unconstitutional proposals etc.

Not that he is ever going to get elected anyway....

How long is it gonna take people to adapt to the fact that literally is now also a synonym for figuratively?
Then why even use the word 'literally'? What word are people supposed to use when they want to express that something is literal if literally can have the exact opposite meaning?

On topic: Trump phoning the author immediately after the call was hilarious.

numble

Then why even use the word 'literally'? What word are people supposed to use when they want to express that something is literal if literally can have the exact opposite meaning?

Context is key.

Besides, the word "literally" and "literal" did not originally mean "actually", it just meant "of or pertaining to letters or to writing". Why do you want to use the term literally for something besides its original use? Oh right, because words evolve.

It's hilarious but also terrifying that someone so petty who sounds like a mob boss when talks about people being "disloyal" has a chance of becoming arguably the most powerful person in the world.

I wonder how Trump is going to act after he loses. Does he go into hiding after a humiliating loss, or does he continue to put himself in the spotlight. If he does the latter, you know that someone will egg him and everyone will laugh.

Boney

Banned
I wonder how Trump is going to act after he loses. Does he go into hiding after a humiliating loss, or does he continue to put himself in the spotlight. If he does the latter, you know that someone will egg him and everyone will laugh.
There's going to be a new reality tv show with him next year guaranteed.

There are so many things said about him and so many things he has said that are just unbelievably bad that I think anyone voting for him at this point doesn't care about this stuff. It won't matter whatever else comes out, it won't be of any consequence unfortunately. You're not even surprised anymore when stuff like this comes out because every week it's a new thing.

There are so many things said about him and so many things he has said that are just unbelievably bad that I think anyone voting for him at this point doesn't care about this stuff. It won't matter whatever else comes out, it won't be of any consequence unfortunately. You're not even surprised anymore when stuff like this comes out because every week it's a new thing.

Most people I know who are voting for/leaning towards voting for him are doing it because "BUT HILLARY" and/or because he's the Republican candidate.

There's going to be a new reality tv show with him next year guaranteed.

So he'll just set himself up to be humiliated on TV shows?

I mean, at what point does Trump become so bombarded with hate, shame, and humiliation that he chooses to go into hiding? What happens when he does something really dumb during a GE debate (such as call Hillary a bitch) and his campaign staff has a private meeting in which they literally yell at him to stop fucking up?

I understand that Republicans have a very strong bubble, but when Romney lost in 2012 he immediately went into hiding.

I won't be satisfied with a Trump loss. I will only be satisfied with the biggest Dem landslide victory in recent history. I want the Senate to return to Dem control. I want Donald Trump to be a national laughing stock. I want the Republican party to ultimately condemn the man for years to come, ultimately destroying the Tea Party movement. However, I also want the Republican party to suffer for decades after the leadership, no matter how reluctantly, endorsed the man as their candidate. Every effort to improve their image with minority groups should be kneecapped by this man's presidential campaign and the leadership's willingness to support him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom