• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns announced [N-CONF]

Twig

Banned
redbarchetta said:
Haha, no worries =)

As for the beach level, I do see what you mean. But the other levels that I played didn't seem quite as bad in that respect (though it would be a pretty significant oversight if you had to do it while riding a mine cart =D
I did watch the mine cart level as I was waiting in line, and it looked way better. I should have played it instead, but I wanted to try something I hadn't just watched from start to finish. ):

.la1n

BikoBiko said:
Why would you? Just roll once, keep button pressed to run and from there on out only jump on enemies.

Rolling opened up a whole slew of hidden paths and secrets in DKC, I must have played the original a thousand times, never got into the sequels though.

Rich!

Willy105 said:
I assume it's Mickey.

Hardly Rare's big franchise. They did what, two racing games with him? (gbc and 64). :lol

Ahhh...Goldeneye would make sense. But even so, it's hardly anything by Rare. It's a totally different design, based on some bizarro alternate version of the film.

Wait! I knew you had to shake to pound the ground, but you shake to roll too? No thanks!

Please no! Retro change this ASAP! Also Classic Controller support needs to be an option!

I don't know if anyone pointed this out before, but it occurred to me a few days ago that Donkey Kong Country Returns releases the same day the original Donkey Kong Country did in 1994: November 21st. Probably a coincidence, but still pretty damn cool.

redbarchetta said:
I don't know if anyone pointed this out before, but it occurred to me a few days ago that Donkey Kong Country Returns releases the same day the original Donkey Kong Country did in 1994: November 21st. Probably a coincidence, but still pretty damn cool.

I noticed that too.
It also reminded me of that behind the scenes of DKC video tape Nintendo Power sent out before the game came out. I need to watch that again, as I probably have it somewhere. :lol

agrajag

Banned
Twig said:
No, zigg has a point, though. Once you GET moving, you should be able to STAY moving, rather than having to constantly stop to pound the ground or whatever dumb shit. The momentum in DKC is my literal favorite part. Bouncing on enemies into a long string of barrels landing on a mine cart jumping weaving through waves of those damn bees slipping on ice etc. etc. etc. That shit was good.
The beach level (the one I played) required me to stop waaaay too often. \:

(Also, DK shouldn't need a run button in the first place. U:)

welp, i guess i'll be passing on DKCR then, if it doesn't have all that. i loved the DKC games for those very same reasons. (my favorite part in the first DKC was in a mine shaft level, when you had to make a perfect bounce off a chain of like 20 gnawties to get rewarded with an extra life)

KevinCow

Banned
agrajag said:
welp, i guess i'll be passing on DKCR then, if it doesn't have all that. i loved the DKC games for those very same reasons. (my favorite part in the first DKC was in a mine shaft level, when you had to make a perfect bounce off a chain of like 20 gnawties to get rewarded with an extra life)

Did you see the minecart level in the demo? That's exactly what it was.

The original DKC games weren't all fast-paced hopping and bopping all the time, either. There was plenty of slower secret hunting, especially with DK's ground pound and the team-up move in the sequels.

Twig

Banned
agrajag said:
Don't let my single-level impressions drive you away! Wait for a more comprehensive review before you throw it out the window altogether. I may have just had a shitty experience! I was, after all, in the front of a line of people in the middle of a CROWD of people at a gaming convention. Not exactly the way I like to play games.

I still have a modicum of hope that I am wrong. :3

KevinCow said:
The original DKC games weren't all fast-paced hopping and bopping all the time, either. There was plenty of slower secret hunting, especially with DK's ground pound and the team-up move in the sequels.
Secret hunting is one thing. I wasn't hunting for secrets. I was just trying to beat the level.

weepy

Twig said:
Secret hunting is one thing. I wasn't hunting for secrets. I was just trying to beat the level.

Not that I'm doubting your impression seeing as you were able to actually play the game but based on what I've seen on youtube, the pacing doesn't look so slow. The beach level seems to have players jump back and forth just to progress through the level but I'm sure once players are familiar with the new game mechanics I'll most likely go much smoother. Besides, I would much rather have the game take on more exploration themes than just zipping through the levels.

Rich!

When I play through DKC2, I do so like this:

RUN JUMP JUMP JUMP RUN THROW BARREL RUN FUCKING JUMP RUN FUCKKK!!!!

I still manage to get all the kremkoins and shit too. But it aint half as fun if you arent blazing through it like a madman.

Twig

Banned
weepy said:
Not that I'm doubting your impression seeing as you were able to actually play the game but based on what I've seen on youtube, the pacing doesn't look so slow. The beach level seems to have players jump back and forth just to progress through the level but I'm sure once players are familiar with the new game mechanics I'll most likely go much smoother. Besides, I would much rather have the game take on more exploration themes than just zipping through the levels.
Well, feel free to doubt! I don't want to ruin other people's enjoyment of the game, I'm just sharing my own initial impressions!

I will say, though, that people are focusing on only one aspect of my impressions: the slowness of the level itself. More detrimental to my enjoyment was the slow, clunky feel of DK. (I did not play Diddy, though.)

Futureman

Tricky I Shadow said:
Also Classic Controller support needs to be an option!

according to redbarchetta's impressions that he just linked to, there is Classic Controller support. Can you confirm this redbarchetta?

Also, don't DKC games generally have around 40 or so levels? And how many have we seen, 4? I doubt we've seen the best Retro has come up with (this is in response to people saying the levels were slow). Have they done any interviews for this game? Any word on what they are doing next?

Futureman said:
according to redbarchetta's impressions that he just linked to, there is Classic Controller support. Can you confirm this redbarchetta?

Whoops, that was my fault--I thought I had updated it (which I'll do now). I mis-interpreted Wii Remote support (sans nunchuk) as Classic Controller support--sorry for the confusion!

Futureman

redbarchetta said:
Whoops, that was my fault--I thought I had updated it (which I'll do now). I mis-interpreted Wii Remote support (sans nunchuk) as Classic Controller support--sorry for the confusion!

so you can play holding the Wii-mote like an NES controller, and shake to pound and roll?

agrajag

Banned
richisawesome said:
When I play through DKC2, I do so like this:

RUN JUMP JUMP JUMP RUN THROW BARREL RUN FUCKING JUMP RUN FUCKKK!!!!

I still manage to get all the kremkoins and shit too. But it aint half as fun if you arent blazing through it like a madman.

you're not rolling nearly enough

robor

Was it not already announced that it was coming to Australian shores in 2010? It's Epic Yarn that we're getting in 2011.

robor said:
Was it not already announced that it was coming to Australian shores in 2010? It's Epic Yarn that we're getting in 2011.

No, all we know so far is that it's coming out on the 21st of November in America....I pray Australia won't have to wait long.

Top Bottom