• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.20 GHz and its a 64 bit operating system with a x64 based processor if that helps

rage seemed to run very well on it(minus the texture popin everywhere)

It simply cant run any post 2014 triple A game at even the lowest settings any more.

Wolfenstien runs worse than this game in my experience, and that is with a very powerful rig. :[

That's due to Wolfenstien running on the ID Tech 5 engine. Doom is running on the ID Tech 6, the first game to do so actually. Doom originally was running on the ID Tech 5 engine but Bethesda got pissed on how shitty it was looking and performing. Oddly engine, the ID tech 6 wasn't developed by John Carmack but by Tiago Sousa (Crytek) to work on ID Tech 6. ID Tech 5 didn't even support SLI.

wwm0nkey

It is probably safe to assume this has sold 1mil+ now on all platforms right? Steam is at 400k alone so I think the other two could at least fill that 600k gap

Atkison04

Just curious, when do you get access to double jump? I'm not seeing it on any of the upgrade paths. Loving the game so far though! So good with some headphones on turned up!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just curious, when do you get access to double jump? I'm not seeing it on any of the upgrade paths. Loving the game so far though! So good with some headphones on turned up!

Yeah its part of the story progression so keep playing. As the game will literally force you to get it as mentioned above.

Trying to make a Doom: The Comic Snapmap and you can't have the berserk power up. What the hell? The mode is both incredibly expensive and oddly limited.

Also it plays more like multiplayer than campaign :/

I'm dissapointed that most levels are actually really linear. I think I've only got like 2 or 3 more open-spaced levels, while 6 linear ones.

ehhh linear is taking it a bit far. even when there was only one path I felt like I was coming upon it naturally. and the backtracking is handled really well.

the more I play it the more it reminds me of metroid.

Anteo

There's been a few times were I finished one area and had to backtrack a bit to get to the next objective, and as soon as I arrive I find a door that leads directly to the area were I was before.

And that's not even bad because I really love exploring the levels.

rdytoroll

Umm, wtf? Is my game bugged out? I'm in the chapter
I am Vega
and I have to
close the well
. So I killed all the enemies in the battle area and shot the
4 coolants
, but the battle music is still playing and I can't find another enemy. No way out either. This is getting real annoying...

BigDug13

Oh wow

Maybe they should have made nightmare orange or something BC that did not come through on my eyes

I think I will just stick with my play through method and do the all secrets run on nightmare

Im still in disbelief how much this game gets right and brings back from the old school gen at the same time. I can see myself playing this for years to come

The difficulties in red signify that you cannot switch away from that difficulty once the game begins. The only way to do that difficulty is from a fresh game save from the beginning.

TP

Umm, wtf? Is my game bugged out? I'm in the chapter
I am Vega
and I have to
close the well
. So I killed all the enemies in the battle area and shot the
4 coolants
, but the battle music is still playing and I can't find another enemy. No way out either. This is getting real annoying...

I had that happen
Yes, it's bugged. Reload checkpoint.

arimanius

Started my ultra violence game over on nightmare and ctd immediately. I hope they can get these fixed.

Edit* it CTD everytime I try to load that save now. :(

Edit edit. It crashes even when I try to start a new game. :(

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Which level is best to spam the summoners to max the rocket launchers

You only need 5 so just hit them whenever you see them and you will take care of that challenge within 2 levels. Max 3 levels. \

I know 2 summoners are in the Argent Facility. That is where they make their first appearance I believe. That is level 4. So if you absolutely insist on farming you could do it there. They show up during the Gore Nest arena fights IIRC.

edit: And you don't have to finish the level to do challenges. After you kill the second summoner you can just restart.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I had fun but the game feels more like a battle arena shooter most of the time than a typical FPS. Most enemies are fought in waves in a big area that locks you out so you can't leave until you kill then all. It becomes predictable after the first couple instances, and repetitive after dozens.

I traded it away immediately upon completion. I recommend the game if you can get it really cheap on sale or used and aren't put off by this "boring" type of formula. I knew this wasn't going to satisfy my classic Doom love after the first level.

I'm having problems on PC with the graphics flickering at random places. Where I'm at right now, parts of the level are completely covered in black, and disappear if I look slightly to the left of right of the area.

I had the same issues with GTA V.

Just got a couple checkpoints into level 2 and this game is just so surprisingly great. I love the satanic badassedness of the presentation, the combat, the secrets, the atmosphere, the music...pretty much everything!

arimanius

Finally got it to load my old ultra violence save and it eventually CTD. This is on the ps4.

Edit. Ok I'm at a loss for what to do. Can't do single player or multiplayer without it CTD instantly. Do I delete and redownload?

Raitaro

I had fun but the game feels more like a battle arena shooter most of the time than a typical FPS. Most enemies are fought in waves in a big area that locks you out so you can't leave until you kill then all. It becomes predictable after the first couple instances, and repetitive after dozens.

I actually came to post the same impression after finally managing to spend some time on the game.

Compared to the old Doom games, this game might have a similar fast pacing, intricate levels and quick gun play, but what it lacks is a more seamless blend of exploration and combat. I feel these are too strictly separated here, with quiet moments of exploring the map after and before battles being interrupted by being ambushed from all sides in easy to spot combat arena's.

I'm not sure if this will start to bother me but it might lead to some tedium and predictability.

As for some other negative things, based on my early impressions:
- I wish the (starter) weapons sounded more meaty, especially the shotgun. They are barely audible on my tv;
- I often get hit without noticing it and only register I'm taking damage after glancing at my lower armor and health counters while being surprised I lost so much again. The game needs a more clear way to communicate this;
- I often get hit without feeling like I could have avoided it, like the enemies fire faster or from further way than I could possibly have avoided or predicted, especially in the more narrow parts of levels and with enemies like the zombie soldiers who fire very sporadically. Maybe I simply need to get better at this;
- While the fast movement feels good, so far I have seen little opportunity to really make use of it for defensive purposes due to the many height differences (and narrow corridors) compared to the old games where you mostly stayed on a flat terrain that made sprinting and strafing easier. This might improve as I get better at the game though;
- While the game looks quite good (on PS4), it also suffers from feeling a bit basic/unpolished(?) in terms of some textures and some of the special effects and such, which isn't helped by the low volume sound effects that make it seem like some things are not really happening;
- I would have liked to see my marine's feet and hear his footsteps so that he felt more like a solid powerhouse and less like a floating gun that glides through the levels. This might have been enough in the old games but for this one I would have appreciated it.

As for positives:
- I like the overall look of the game;
- Same goes for the game's tone;
- Despite sound complaints I do like firing the weapons at enemies, which I guess is vital in this genre;
- The glory kills have not started to bother me yet though I do sometimes feel that the benefit of getting life and being invulnerable during the animation does not weigh up to the disadvantage of losing control of the camera and having to quickly look around afterwards to see where other threats are coming from;
- The enemies seem varied and well designed, and they move in interesting patterns;
- The levels also seem well designed with their hidden paths and such;
- The map and upgrade system also seem cool.

I'll keep at it when I can because I do like most of what I played. That said, some of the things mentioned above as negatives might end up ruining part of my experience in the long run.

rdytoroll

Just finished it, was a lot of fun. Certainly one of the best FPS I played in recent years. What's up with the ending though?
Doom 2 is pretty much confirmed then?

Hasney

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a discount key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1217874.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

22% off Doom Season Pass at Green Man Gaming -- MB-466786C0CCAAAF66 - Taken by Bornstellar. 2 entrants total.

t1463861882z1.png

In case anyone wants a discount on the season pass for PC.

PnCIa

Just got a couple checkpoints into level 2 and this game is just so surprisingly great. I love the satanic badassedness of the presentation, the combat, the secrets, the atmosphere, the music...pretty much everything!
Keep playing. The game ramps up the intensity the further you get. You are in for some amazing battles :)

RowdyReverb

My only peeve with this game is one-way thresholds that prohibit backtracking, especially when they are unexpected. I hate when I check my secret count and find that I missed a tune and can't go back to get it without exiting and starting the level over

Top Bottom