• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Shifty

I appreciate that this game does the silent protagonist bit correctly, unless something changes later on Doom Marine is actually not speaking as opposed to most silent protags where the character clearly must be speaking and we just don't hear them.

He's actually shouting 'HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!' almost constantly, but the suit is soundproof so it's fine.

Johndoey

Banned
He's actually shouting 'HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!' almost constantly, but the suit is soundproof so it's fine.
This works too.

I appreciate this and Wolfenstein's methods of actually giving these blank slates of Doom Marine and Bj personalities. Wolfenstein went for consistent internal monologue and this went for personality through action and reaction. Both done well.

Doom Marine cares about tye sanctity of han life and is unwilling to accept any hemming and hawing about acceptable losses. He's a true hero, hell look at how he kills tye demons it's quick and efficient generally speaking. That says a a lot about his character.

RowdyReverb

Just grabbed this from Redbox. Excited to try it out later.
Enjoy it! Seek out the secrets in every level and give the Ultra-Violence difficulty a try if you have experience with shooters. You can always tone it down later, and the game eases you into the difficulty.
Getting my ass handed to me at kandigir sanctum :(
Yeah, I had trouble there too. First real tough spot in the game I think, and it came right as I was feeling a little too comfortable. You get the Gauss Gun there though, and another new gun in a secret area iirc, and that helps push you through

somedevil

Outside of being blatant sequel bait, their armour appears to be power armour similar to the praetor suit.
I'd speculate that before becoming an 'elemental force' as mentioned in the logs, they were similar to the doom marine.
Either that, or said elemental force shaped itself in the doomguy's image because he's such a massive demon-slaughtering badass.

There are some obvious crusader vibes to their designs, so that could be a sort of thematic hint toward their backstory.

Those are night sentinels. The story is
they were guardians of Argent D'Nur from the forces of Hell. One betrayed them to get his son back. This led to Hell absorbing the world. The Doom Slayer did fight along side of them. The question is whether is how is he related to them. Is he from the world, the one that betrayed them or the son that was brought back. Also his current armor according to the Doom Slayer logs was given him by some person when he was traveling throughout the worlds

Shifty

Those are night sentinels. The story is
they were guardians of Argent D'Nur from the forces of Hell. One betrayed them to get his son back. This led to Hell absorbing the world. The Doom Slayer did fight along side of them. The question is whether is how is he related to them. Is he from the world, the one that betrayed them or the son that was brought back. Also his current armor according to the Doom Slayer logs was given him by some person when he was traveling throughout the worlds

Interesting, I must have missed more logs than I realised. My first guess would be
from their world, not that I have anything to back up that reasoning.

somedevil

Interesting, I must have missed more logs than I realised. My first guess would be
from their world, not that I have anything to back up that reasoning.

Its hard to tell how much they thought about it because in game there is a picture of the doomslayer
fighting along side them wearing his current armor. So that could mean he could of came across their world along his travels and helped them and just left to continue his journey

Nameless

The sort of djent metal/electro music chosen for this game is just perfect for it. If you can i would definitely play this with a good set of headphones.

The sound mixing seems...off. With and without headphones gunshots and sound effects in general are subdued and lack the kind of impact I had expected in a game like this. That's really my only complaint so far.

d3vnull

Even more ridiculous when you complete the final upgrade for it. It never overheats! Your only limit to firing is your ammo. Makes certain high HP bosses a bit easier

And then there's the rune that gives you infinite ammo when you have enough armor. From there things just get ridiculous, it's awesome.

TheXbox

Done. Ending is terrible, end credits are pretty savage though. Overall... I wanna say this game is better than it has any right to be. But it has every right. It's Doom.

Bought this game purely on the recommendation of GAF, as I've been clamoring for a good single player FPS since I bought my PS4. And man, ITS AMAZING. The gameplay combined with the music and setting is just sublime. I almost cant believe how good it is, which might be unfair to say since this is my first id game, but it just wasnt on my radar at all.

Thanks guys!

The sound mixing seems...off. With and without headphones gunshots and sound effects in general are subdued and lack the kind of impact I had expected in a game like this. That's really my only complaint so far.

Really? For me everything sounds loud and clear. I could understand that it could all become a bit too overwhelming for some people not into noisy harsh music, but that's not my case.

The boss fights in this game...

THE BOSS FIGHTS IN THIS GAME!!!

So good!

You know, that's one thing I'll say, I think the boss fights are great in the context. SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

First Person Shooter boss fights seem more limited in nature than other action games. In a game where you directly attack everything with projectiles and dodge other melee/hitscan/projectile attacks, that's not a whole lot you can do unless you expand the player moveset like Metroid Prime. The original Doom and Doom 2 kinda set the standard for many FPS bosses to come. You got your Cyberdemon, who's fast, soaks up a lot o damage, and has a projectile attack with a huge hitbox and does huge damage. Circle strafe with your biggest baddest guns until its dead! Then there's the Spider-Mastermind, which is the same thing, except he has hitscan attacks so you really have to stay out of its line of sight. Then there's the Icon of Sin, which is a unique gimmick boss that tests your endurance against waves of enemies, managing your health/ammo resources/power-ups until you can get him down from the specific height you have to kill him from. The vast majority of FPS bosses are basically one of these three variations.

Doom '16 are all essentially the Cyberdemon(including, ya know, the ACTUAL Cyberdemon) but the variety of enemy attack patterns and the use of your jumping/crouching abilites makes them rather strong tests of skill with the required amount of spectacle.

The Cyberdemon here is essentially strafing it util its dead, but he has a wider range of attacks than just the one from 1993. There are bull rushes, there are homing lasers that track your strafe, there are missles that ran from the sky that require some enviromental awareness. And then the secod form starts to introduce the walled-off attacks which require some actual jumping/crocuhing, which sounds simple but its uncharted territory for FPS boss design.

The Hell Guards are my favorite. How do you mix up the circle strafing boss fight? By making him only avaialble to attacks at certain points. This boss not only requires quick pattern reconition, but also accurate shots to attack during his brief openings. He's got a LOT of attacks, too, ranging from straight up projectiles, melee rushes, AOE stomps, and some bullet hell dodging even. And just when you think its done, two more show up, dropping the shield gimmick, but introducing even more attackswith twice as much shit to avoid.

The last one is the Spider-Mastermind, and since hitscan doesnt really work in the context of this game, he's more in the Cyperdemon mode. But again, he's got a wide range of attacks that take advantage of what you've fought up until now. He's got the dodgable projectiles, but also the deadly lasers(the closet thing this game has to hitscan). He has long range melee attacks, and aoe grenades. He's got a unique set of area denial phases that require navigating to the top of platforms, and then they flip it on you by making you get off those platforms in the middle of that attack pattern.

All three bosses have a real solid chunk of health and no checkpoints during any of their phases, so you can't just stumble your way through them phase by phase. You just have to git gud and not fuck up. 3 or 4 hits on UV can send you right back to the beginning of the fight. They all end with satisfactory QTEs, and have a fair compromise on the BFG usage, stunning the boss with direct hits leading to bigger damage and health/ammo pick-ups.

I think they're really well done, in the context of its FPS mold

TheBear

Does anyone have a link to a good text collectable/secrets guide? All the ones I've found are either unfinished or missing classic maps etc

Soundtrack. Holy soundtrack.

Easily one of the most fun games I've played this year. Final battle was top notch.

But the music. Sweet jesus the music was on point. I want to buy the OST.

Edzi

I had no intention to buy this game any time soon, but there seems to be so much hype and positivity surrounding it that I think I might give it a shot. PS4 and PC are my options, but I'm leaning towards PC at the moment since from what I understand the single player is the main reason to play the game. Anything I should know about platform differences before I make the purchase? Also, what's the cheapest place to purchase the game at the moment?

antitrop

I had no intention to buy this game any time soon, but there seems to be so much hype and positivity surrounding it that I think I might give it a shot. PS4 and PC are my options, but I'm leaning towards PC at the moment since from what I understand the single player is the main reason to play the game. Anything I should know about platform differences before I make the purchase? Also, what's the cheapest place to purchase the game at the moment?

Can't go wrong, either way. Probably gonna want to just get it on PC for the Mouse/Keyboard. PS4 runs solid 1080p/60 with very few drops and a clean IQ, if you don't care about controls.

Edzi

Can't go wrong, either way. Probably gonna want to just get it on PC for the Mouse/Keyboard. PS4 runs solid 1080p/60 with very few drops and a clean IQ, if you don't care about controls.

I was kinda thinking of using the game to finally get used to kb/m controls, since I've been exclusively a console gamer until recently and never really practiced with a kb/m. I could use a controller on PC too, right? Just in case I give up on kb/m.

antitrop

I was kinda thinking of using the game to finally get used to kb/m controls, since I've been exclusively a console gamer until recently and never really practiced with a kb/m. I could use a controller on PC too, right? Just in case I give up on kb/m.
Learn the M/K. What better time than now?

Pretty sure controller support is just fine, I think that's how they were playing it on the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

of course.

i played it with both and even on Nightmare I could be successful with a controller

yeah I snagged antitrop's control settings from a few pages back and it feels so fucking smooth on the elite controller.

still missing one secret on level 4. 🙁

jwhit28

I tried playing with the controller just to test the game on the 4k TV. It was so frustrating. I don't know how you guys do it. That's not trying to be snobby. I prefer the controller for most shooters, but I'm impressed anyone can play this game competently with one.

BFIB

Wife and kid are in bed, went to load up what I thought was the installed game. Disc read errors every time. Disc is damaged from red box. :(

Top Bottom