• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

d3vnull

Anyone has the collectors edition and can say something about the quality of the statue?
Still undecided if I should keep my CE or send it back and get it digitally instead.

I have no problem w/ Denuvo.

The only game that ever really had an issue with Denuvo was the first one to use it.. Lords of the Fallen.

That game ran like crap and people blamed the DRM because the cracked version supposedly ran 5% faster. The wild accusations about Denuvo wearing out and killing your SSD and all of the other stuff came from that one game, if I'm remembering correctly.. most of it was just FUD.

This game looks amazing. As far as I'm concerned this has the potential to be the best game of the year. I really wish I could play it on PC though. That cocaine-fueled demo was nothing short of stunning.

Anung

Un Rama
I would like to know this. When I pre-ordered Doom, I pretty much expected a deep and nuanced story that explores many themes.

Doom tells a haunting emotionally harrowing story of a guy who after a traumatic experience learns how to live, love AND RIP AND TEAR! Rated PG13.

Makes the Last of Us's story look like shit.

Bishop89

Best demon of the game without a doubt!

niK34o.png

I always loved Mancubus and they are amazing here. much better than Doom 3 design.

I love everything about this game! gameplay is amazing, fast and fun. level design is great and most of levels have lots of layers and secrets. there are even platforming sections! music is outstanding and gives you lots of energy. demons design are great too and graphics are really great considering its 60fps on consoles. (only thing I don't like about it is screen tearing and some frame drops) and its amazing artistically too.
As a Doom fan who LOVE classic Dooms and like Doom 3 too, I like the new game so much. but I think it will be very divisive and predict the metascore between 80 - 83.

designs look so good! And High def! Glorious!

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Somehow I completely forgot that this was coming out today/tomorrow. What a nice surprise.

As someone who grew up on id games, I'm am pretty damn excited.

I also want to give this a run through VorpX on the Vive. I had a lot of fun with Doom 3 BFG in VR on the DKs.

jambo

I'd guess they're tucked away in doom_music.bnk, which can't be opened with conventional archiving tools.

I managed to get in to the bnk using Dragon UnPACKer 5.

Might be because my game is still decrypting, but that "doom_music.bnk" file is only 165~ mb, but contains wav files.

That'd be like 20 minutes of audio.

I'm about to head to bed and I was just hoping I could get the soundtrack on my phone for work tomorrow. Hopefully it'll pop up for streaming by then.

Fuck it, Caved and bought it for CDN$43. Now to test out my new mouse and see if I can actually play an FPS with a mouse. So used to controller nowadays :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't Mick Gordon gonna upload the soundtrack or something tomorrow?

I took a peak at his Twitter account and saw no such mention, but the Wolf14 and Wolf14:TOB soundtracks are up on Soundcloud, so Doom's receiving the same treatment seems likely.

Rizzi

If there's anyone with a 970 trying this, i'd love to get some impressions :)

i5 4460
gtx 970
16 gb ram
Seems to run pretty well. I have everything on ultra with SMAA and I haven't dropped below 55 fps running at 1920x1080.
Not very far in, but it doesn't seem like a terrible port unless it gets a hell of a lot more demanding further in.

Also worst doom game ever. Shotgun is bound to "2"! Unforgivable!

Blitzhex

Is vulkan support coming out for this later?
They showed a overclocked 1080gtx getting like 130 fps avg with vulkan api at ultra 1440p and I'm getting around 90 fps avg outside the station in the first area with the same settings with my overclocked 980ti.
Guessing I'd get a few more fps with vulkan and new doom drivers?

wwm0nkey

Is vulkan support coming out for this later?
They showed a overclocked 1080gtx getting like 130 fps avg with vulkan api at ultra 1440p and I'm getting around 90 fps avg outside the station in the first area with the same settings with my overclocked 980ti.
Guessing I'd get a few more fps with vulkan and new doom drivers?

The update will be out shortly after launch

Levito

Banned
I'm so torn on this game, sometimes it looks fantastic in demos and other times it looks mediocre... I wonder if it's one of those games with a decent skill ceiling and if the player is bad the game looks bad too?

I wish I could play it soon but I have only downloaded 10.2GB of the 43GB (Steam estimates another 16hrs - thanks Sky Broadband - cup and string would transmit the data better than the archaic rubbish we have here).

And I am not supposed to play before the weekend as it is a birthday present. It is now a race between the date arriving or the data arriving...

I took a peak at his Twitter account and saw no such mention, but the Wolf14 and Wolf14:TOB soundtracks are up on Soundcloud, so Doom's receiving the same treatment seems likely.

Nice, Mick Gordon always delievers when it comes to soundtracks and this looks like its gonna be just as good as Wolfenstein.

N-Forced

Neo Member
I'm hoping this game puts up a challenge, been playing the whole Doom series all week to get ready for this one and have been running through them on the harder difficulties. Ran through the first Doom on ultra violent and never died once, then loaded Brutal Doom and cranked it up even more to 12 on a scale of 10 and am still running through it like cake. For some reason I remember these games being harder than what they are, or maybe i've just been playing them too much :p.

I'm so torn on this game, sometimes it looks fantastic in demos and other times it looks mediocre... I wonder if it's one of those games with a descent skill ceiling and if the player is bad the game looks bad too?
I would say so. I watched some early streams where some idiot was running away from all the demons in an arena battle, and it looked awful.

But then I played it, and it's much better!

epmode

I'm hoping this game puts up a challenge, been playing the whole Doom series all week to get ready for this one and have been running through them on the harder difficulties. Ran through the first Doom on ultra violent and never died once, then loaded Brutal Doom and cranked it up even more to 12 on a scale of 10 and am still running through it like cake. For some reason I remember these games being harder than what they are, or maybe i've just been playing them too much :p.

Can't speak for Brutal Doom but the original Doom was designed with keyboard controls in mind. Mouselook really screws with the difficulty.

dlauv

So, it's kind of as I feared. It's balanced around a gamepad with a very small amount of monsters you'll be fighting at once. Just play with a gamepad if you're bored with M&K and you'll be fine, if you can tolerate gamepad. With M&K it seemed like I was chasing down that last guy to kill all of the time.

Not sure why that Polygon guy was allowed to play. He stinks. Aiming isn't hard at all, and there is aim assist.

Game looks great and runs at 60 on Ultra settings at 1600x900 in Borderless with Adaptive vsync on my 3770k and GTX 970.

Three different rendering modes were available which play with sharpening and filters: default, gritty, and cinematic.

It's pretty tame atm but it seems like it could get fun. Near the end of the second mission, if the first mission's length and structure was anything to go by.

Onemic

So, it's kind of as I feared. It's balanced around a gamepad with a very small amount of monsters you'll be fighting at once. Just play with a gamepad if you're bored with M&K and you'll be fine, if you can tolerate gamepad. With M&K it seemed like I was chasing down that last guy to kill all of the time.

Not sure why that Polygon guy was allowed to play. He stinks. Aiming isn't hard at all, and there is aim assist.

Game looks great and runs at 60 on Ultra settings at 1600x900 in Borderless with Adaptive vsync on my 3770k and GTX 970.

Three different rendering modes were available which play with sharpening and filters: default, gritty, and cinematic.

It's pretty tame atm but it seems like it could get fun. Near the end of the second mission, if the first mission's length and structure was anything to go by.

What difficulty are you playing at?

Sophia

I'll probably have to rent this on PS4 first, due to a lack of money this month, but I'll definitely get it on PC when I do buy it. So hyped for the single player due to all the fantastic footage.

I'm so torn on this game, sometimes it looks fantastic in demos and other times it looks mediocre... I wonder if it's one of those games with a decent skill ceiling and if the player is bad the game looks bad too?

I would say so. There's a clear difference between the Geforce released PC footage running on Vulkan and the Polygon first 30 minutes footage. The former showed off masterful playing style with expert weapon switching, the latter nearly had the player die in the game's equivalent of this room because they didn't know how to aim and were running away from everything. Even in console only footage the better players making active use of their weapons have made the game look way better.

dlauv

What difficulty are you playing at?

Hardest available: Ultra Violence.

I'm still dying fairly frequently, but it's more due to being killed in two or three hits from projectiles I can barely see than that feeling of being overwhelmed by enemies. Incorporating melee kills in a horde seems to alleviate that issue tho with all of the i-frames you're tossing out.

Skab

Here's a dumb question. Is there any sort of coop in the campaign? Always enjoyed playing through doom with a friend.

I don't think it's around his time though?

Onemic

Hardest available: Ultra Violence.

I'm still dying fairly frequently, but it's more due to being killed in two or three hits from projectiles I can barely see than that feeling of being overwhelmed by enemies. Incorporating melee kills in a horde seems to alleviate that issue tho with all of the i-frames you're tossing out.

Maybe it will pick up later in the game? At least if that Vulcan demo is anything to go by.

Top Bottom