• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

I'm still not understanding how loadouts themselves are the huge downfall of the multiplayer

I imagine the benefit of weapons spawning on the map is to encourage movement so you aren't sitting around camping.....but that's also what the demon rune does

I haven't experienced people sitting around waiting in any of my games. If I see a power weapon spot starting to glow then I'll hang in the area to try and get it but you don't have people just crouching in corners one shotting people

It's arena map design and you get to pick a loadout that suits your playstyle. It's not like Gauss cannon/chainsaw are options

All of my gripes with the multiplayer are outside of the loadout system so it's always super weird to me when people say it's broken or embarrassing. Non-traditional, sure, but come on. There has to be a middle ground between awesome/perfect and broken unremarkable garbage

This Doom multiplayer is not bad, it's not great, it is just mediocre and forgettable. There aren't any significant lows, but there aren't any highs either. It doesn't bring anything refreshing to the table, doesn't stick true to its format, and is overshadowed by other shooters which do things it supposed to to better.

I was mostly cheesed to hell by the Hell baron drop. Like every other encounter follows the basic rule of, once shit dies down, check point is saved.

This one doesn't save the check point where you think it should - so then you've relaxed into exploration mode, and fuck, you get beat like a red headed step child by two big assholes in a tight arena (they put up barrier walls when they spawn, making it harder to maneuver).

I mean, I don't mind replaying encounters. It feels just about right for the most part. But that repetition can become exacerbated by poor check point placement.

That fight I was describing has a a boring ass corridor that leads up to the meat of the encounter itself. It's like having to fight through a 1/4 of a level to get to a hard boss.

So I mean, as good as the game is in many respects, it's not without flaws.

The absolute easiest fights in DOOM are the ones which take place in a perfectly flat circle arena like the fight you're describing.

The reason that final fight in the VEGA Processing Core is so fucking hard is because the arena is laid out in as frustrating and awful a manner as possible. In a game where stopping for 1 second means something instagibs you from behind, getting caught on the level in aggravating ways and suddenly dying repeatedly like on that VEGA fight is controller-throwing levels of fury.

If the game has flaws, it's when arenas have a lot of verticality and the really dodgy auto-climb and mantling in this game comes into play. Most of my deaths in the game were either from being headbutted by a fucking Pinky, or getting caught on the geometry or making a long jump which I should obviously have made and auto-climbed up the platform but instead I fall down and I'm looking at a wall and I get instagibbed while trying to extricate myself in the 1 second I have before something catches up with me and instantly kills me.

Doikor

The absolute easiest fights in DOOM are the ones which take place in a perfectly flat circle arena like the fight you're describing.

The reason that final fight in the VEGA Processing Core is so fucking hard is because the arena is laid out in as frustrating and awful a manner as possible. In a game where stopping for 1 second means something instagibs you from behind, getting caught on the level in aggravating ways and suddenly dying repeatedly like on that VEGA fight is controller-throwing levels of fury.

If the game has flaws, it's when arenas have a lot of verticality and the really dodgy auto-climb and mantling in this game comes into play. Most of my deaths in the game were either from being headbutted by a fucking Pinky, or getting caught on the geometry or making a long jump which I should obviously have made and auto-climbed up the platform but instead I fall down and I'm looking at a wall and I get instagibbed while trying to extricate myself in the 1 second I have before something catches up with me and instantly kills me.

I didn't have any problems with the last vega fight (maybe has to do with playing in kb/m?). I died 3 or 4 times on it when playing on nightmare and none then we're because I failed a jump or a ledge climb. I'm kinda opposite from you in that I think the best arenas were the really vertical ones. On the flat ones you could just circle strafe everything for ever.

That's what the first 22 minutes were about. Max had a good time with it.

Oh that's cool. I'm too afraid to listen because I don't want any spoilers at all. "Had a good time with it" doesn't sound like big praise. Did he love it or just enjoy it? Sorry, just curious since I heard the rest of the Beyond crew has been kinda down on the game and collective outliers in the industry on that.

Fury Road was meh but i think i'm down for this. how long is the campaign? hopefully not more than 7-10 hours, i've developed a distaste for overly long drawnout campaigns. tight and to the point is my jam. and no fucking fetch quests please (looking for a keycard is fine though :p).

Odrion

Banned
a lot of publications will typically run the review score through some editors before it's published in order for there to be consistency. because what good is a review site if your score is unreliable?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the first Hell stage. Man, that was intense! This games remembers me of Kid Icarus:U: It just keep getting better and better! Also, removing mouse smoothing is a must.

Fury Road was meh but i think i'm down for this. how long is the campaign? hopefully not more than 7-10 hours, i've developed a distaste for overly long drawnout campaigns. tight and to the point is my jam. and no fucking fetch quests please (looking for a keycard is fine though :p).

Roughly double that. Around 15, probably.

The Flash

Banned

It can be that long if you're trying to get all the collectibles and what not. There are no fetch quests or any quests really aside from "Enter room. Kill demons in room. Move on to next room". Difficulty naturally plays into how long the experience will be of course. If you're looking for something on the shorter side then you'll want to play it on one of the easier difficulties.

Oh that's cool. I'm too afraid to listen because I don't want any spoilers at all. "Had a good time with it" doesn't sound like big praise. Did he love it or just enjoy it? Sorry, just curious since I heard the rest of the Beyond crew has been kinda down on the game and collective outliers in the industry on that.

They were nitpicking it critically for discourse's sake, but not really harsh. He was the odd man out and just liked it. Said those problems are more or less just inherent to video games. The "but I watch Die Hard every year" line rung true.

DL7NK8B.png

omg

Gamers are really childish with scores, huh? Quantum Break, Doom, Uncharted... Geez. Grow up.

Have you SEEN the BvS RT thread?

Its a nerd thing, not just gamers.

have to admit that I find it pretty funny how since the New Vegas bonus stuff got out there, 84 seems to have become the most common metascore for bethesda games

Zaptruder

Banned

So I ended up beating the Vega core fight you're talking about (the one on the train). It was hard, but in my experience, not much harder than the other one I was talking about.

Of course, I was also much more upgraded by that time - except my health was about the same, if not lower going into the Vega core fight.

The difficulty can be quite spiky. Some sections you'll breeze through in a couple tries, others you can be stuck on for a while. If I had beaten the hell barons the first time around, I would've beat the first fight in 5 tries, rather than 30 - and I probably would've dismissed it as easy (enough).

Personal experience is a bit luck of the draw like that.

Still having a blast with the game, so I'm not really ragging on it. Just longer fights tend to drag on to failure points, making you go through the easier stuff again until you beat every bit of it at once.

Neiteio

Updated the OP with this little bit of goodness from the official Doom Twitter account
This is great. It's encouraging a good number of reviewers were still able to appreciate it even though it's not a cinematic corridor shooter. Doom doesn't try to be art in the movie sense, but it really is the perfect expression of the craft of videogames when it comes to the interactive quality that defines the medium.

It is, simply put, FUN.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think they mean speed metal.

Yeah I do not understand how one says 'stoner metal' to the speed that is coming out of it.

It may be more Hardcore Metal, even some Industrial Metal in there... but...

Stoner metal is wayyyyyy off, lol.

Updated the OP with this little bit of goodness from the official Doom Twitter account

Would have been better if they put IGN's seven point one, in place where the gun barrel is.

Boogdud

That slant review (I've never heard of them either) is terrible. Talk about someone that doesn't get it. He's in the camp of 'everything must be innovative' and probably won't get why it's so successful.

Obviously gunning for an out of touch game publisher position.

Woorloog

Banned
That slant review (I've never heard of them either) is terrible. Talk about someone that doesn't get it. He's in the camp of 'everything must be innovative' and probably won't get why it's so successful.

Obviously gunning for an out of touch game publisher position.

True innovation in new games is nowhere near common as people think. I wonder if the reviewer thinks "modern=innovative"...

Just played maybe 5 minutes of the campaign. Bout to fix some food, smoke up and jump in.

I lived Doom 3 and RoE so I knew id be happy with Doom 4. So stoked to finally get stuck in.

Great news that reviewers, and seemingly everyone else loves the game.

SilentRob

100%?! Starting the petition to get rid of GiantBomb on Metacritic right now. The game has a metacritic in its 80s, so clearly a 100 differs from the average and, thus, is probably but really definitely bought.

Yoda

Did you read the response from Max Scoville?

His "response" just scream of "plz stop criticizing us" yet said outlet makes a business out of criticism. The review was bad, and the CoD review clearly was them sucking the dick of a large publisher. Their objectively is being rightly questioned, and he omitted addressing that.

Myggen

His "response" just scream of "plz stop criticizing us" yet said outlet makes a business out of criticism. The review was bad, and the CoD review clearly was them sucking the dick of a large publisher. Their objectively is being rightly questioned, and he omitted addressing that.

Citation needed on that bolded part.

Either way comparisons between reviews by different reviewers several years apart don`t prove anything, positive or negative, about any publication.

Top Bottom