• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Looking at old Dota Hero's, Morphling once had a TF2 Spy like Disguise ability. Maybe my hopes of the TF2 Spy being introduce as a hero will come true. Maybe.

you realize how ineffective that would be:

"guys, why is there two anti-mages on the map"
"morphing using his ultimate again I guess, where are you anti-mage?"
"I'm top in our jungle"
"okay" *whole team kills bottom anti-mage*

best ultimate ever.

rac

Banned

"I'm top in our jungle"

best ultimate ever.

What if you could morph into a creep?

Parasite in HoN can take over a creep and use him sort of like a charmed creep. Many people consider aspects of it to be broken, such as the ability to take over a siege creep and cruise away with full magic immunity.

rac

Banned
Parasite in HoN can take over a creep and use him sort of like a charmed creep. Many people consider aspects of it to be broken, such as the ability to take over a siege creep and cruise away with full magic immunity.

so a poor mans parasite/naix

Didn't even think about parasite. Fuck that guy.

I was thinking more along the lines of having to run with the creep wave to get someone off guard. Not "Oh shit jungle creeps are coming for us".

bzm

parasite eh? was playin with insured earlier and he just kept manaburning the shit out of the aluna i was against
best lane of my layf

Mairu

Can anybody suggest some heros/guides for new players? I played LoL quite a bit last year but I've never played Dota. I'm familiar with the basic gameplay but everything is pretty daunting at first.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
N'aix:

pcicY.png

New Witch Doctor model:

y6ozd.png

Old Witch Doctor fits the character better. The only good model/portrait changes so far are Tide and Lion. Anti Mage I am fine with either.

MrKnives

I like Naix's design but the new WD is way worse than the old one. I don't get why they would change the old model? It fit WD perfectly

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can anybody suggest some heros/guides for new players? I played LoL quite a bit last year but I've never played Dota. I'm familiar with the basic gameplay but everything is pretty daunting at first.
Support:
Lich, Lion, Necrolyte

Carry:
Anti-mage, Drow Ranger, Juggernaut, Riki

Ganker:
Nightstalker, Tiny, Tidehunter

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
this makes me mad
He has two actives, one of which:
1) Heals
2) Damages
3) Requires no aiming
4) Spammable late game for ezezezez farm

The other active kills at 20%/30%/40%/50% (with scepter)

Necrolyte is EZMODE.

kazabi

Do you guys think we will get Naix today? He seems to be done and the blog update yesterday had the title "Feast!" which is the name of his life stealing skill.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Do you guys think we will get Naix today? He seems to be done and the blog update yesterday had the title "Feast!" which is the name of his life stealing skill.

I hope we get surprise Techies.

Also I hope they are still goblins. The concept of the Techies fit goblin archetypes too well for them not to be.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Update was last night and just added saving/loading of custom games, with Dreamhack this weekend they don't want to mess around with the game. Hopefully we get a big update next week, would love to see some of the Learn features added.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

"I'm top in our jungle"

best ultimate ever.

It likely worked better in dota pubs when there was no built in voice chat, since you would also be able to use the enemy text chat. The whole point was to cause confusion.

Spookie

Talking of pubs. Anyone else having trouble getting the entire team connected on either side? Had two games today where either 1 person flat out didn't connect or joined 30-60 seconds after the game began.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For not connecting, they may just have connection problems, for loading 60 seconds later, their PCs likely just suck.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't feel Pudge is that hard, you just need to know what the enemy is capable of doing, and not get over your head. You also need the popper balance of making sure you get XP and ganking.

Phandy

If your playing against reasonably competent players, pudge's difficulty ramps up like crazy. Its easy when your playing against noobs who dont know how to deal with you, stuff like breaking your ulti or just not getting hooked in dumb places (hiding behind creeps and not staying still etc).
As soon as people stop being dumb, you have to start being really smart and pull off really big hooks and ganks. Ie; be Milkman good.

Swag

Update was last night and just added saving/loading of custom games, with Dreamhack this weekend they don't want to mess around with the game. Hopefully we get a big update next week, would love to see some of the Learn features added.
Heroes that are added don't get put into the CM pool for a week, so adding N'aix wouldn't really affect Dreamhack, that's if they only added N'aix and not any balance changes though.
Necrolyte is EZMODE.
Mana management, knowing which heroes to prioritize ult with, positioning yourself for damaging and healing the highest number of people, he's a really hard hero, a new person won't be able to maximize skill-less farming early in order to maintain mana when a fight occurs, they'll just blow it all on creep waves and constantly be useless when that gank from mid comes.
This is actually not as good as you'd think, once N'aix jumps into a creep it's so obvious which he's in by the creeps movement, and if it's not, the enemy team will just clear the entire creep wave, you'd just assume that this enemy / allied creep moving abnormally is an ulted Morphling.
I don't feel Pudge is that hard, you just need to know what the enemy is capable of doing, and not get over your head. You also need the popper balance of making sure you get XP and ganking.
Huh? Pudge is one of the hardest heroes to play effectively, he is entirely based on the players ability to hit a skill-shot, if you can't, you have to hope you get lucky that every rune is invisibility or haste so you can set-up your ult, a pudge that can't hit a hook is in fact a detriment to your team as he may hook allies that are about to kill someone etc.

Detox

Apart from occasionally playing LoL, I'm completely new to the genre. I usually play as Malphite in LoL so what would be a good beginner melee character or just good beginner characters?

Spookie

*flips tables*

Going from solo queue to GAF queue the difference in skill is akin to climbing a fucking cliff. Sorry for dragging everyone down. Hurrar for a couple of my good ults though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
You did fine bro. We just had some bad plays that snowballed.

Edit: Also, I apologize if I ever come off as being bossy or bitchy in Mumble. I can get salty in the heat of the moment but at the end of the day it is just a silly game and the best thing you can get outside of winning is experience.

Jenga

Banned
the new art gives me the impression they're trying to give the dire characters a more tougher/evil look

also, is it true N'aix can infest ally heroes? From what I'm reading he's also anti-tank...must be a nasty surprise for pudge when he hooks an infested enemy...

Kapura

Banned
jesus christ the bots are terrible. Tried playing windrunner to get the hang of shackleshot, fucking garbage AI on both teams. My teammates were neuting woods while I was trying to push, one of them got a deso after i got mine, and basically fail all around. My team lost two sets of barracks by sitting in well instead of defending, or going to the other team 1 by 1. The other team had 70 kills compared to our 35, but they lost because they couldn't be arsed to defend their shrine from the mega creeps we had got in one lane 15 minutes earlier. They had two sets down and were basically well greifing (who's fucking idea was to add that behaviour) while their own shrine lost both towers and was destroyed.

fix ur bots valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom