• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinicius

Neo Member
Tide ult + Lich ult = tough combo in team fights. as long as the other 3 teammates are competent, #winning.
I don't know where I've seen it but there's a video somewhere (couldn't find) of an Enigma ulting a whole team on the Radiant Top T2 Tower, Tide blinking in and Lich ulting. But someone popped a pipe (or more than one, can't really remember) and very little damage was dealt.

I know, but still it's frustrating. I don't really know why hooking at close range feels harder than doing it from far away.
For the same reason its hard to use a Wiimote when you're close to the sensor. If you're clicking too close you need to be more precise about it. I can't phrase it right, someone with a better sense of math/geometry/physics should help me here.

And about the stun counter on alchie: if you play him enough you'll end up counting on your head anyway so it just screws the learning curve at first but later on you won't need it.

Artanisix

F U SWAG GET CRUNCHED BY LESHRAC AND SKELETON KING AND OMNIKNIGHT AND JUGG AND NOT RAC

Anyways, the thing with Sniper is that he's extremely position-reliant, especially in team fights. I go stats and Take Aim on him until 11 since he's not very useful for killing people other than getting in a final snipe until then. Great at harassing after two or so levels on Take Aim, and with stats his last hitting isn't as miserable as it normally would be. I prefer Phase Boots on him so I can run as soon as I see a gank coming, for the extra bonus damage, and for the ridiculous harass power you have with it. Add in two wraiths for the extra damage, and then yasha for more movement speed. MS is important on him so you can correctly position yourself in teamfights, usually behind trees or far away from everyone else. My Sniper was undefeated in matchmaking until that fucker Hyuna threw a game that I played with him.

He's probably my favorite standard carry along with Skeleton King. If you're playing him with the expectation that you're an S tier carry, then you're doing it wrong.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He was picked at least once during the international, but I can't remember the outcome of that game.

Only hero in the pool that wasn't picked was Axe, heh.

He got the first rampage in pro dota 2 history right after an ultra kill on the previous push.

Just got in this weekend and loving it!

I've played DOTA since 2003, and I love that Valve is recreating the game so accurately. Even though I haven't had the MOBA fever for a couple years I was able to jump right in and was instantly familiar with the majority of the heroes.

I chose the familiar setting and been having pretty balanced games overall. People rage quitting still seems to be an issue but atleast I'm not keeping my own banlist. Haha

I just had a game where tinker voice over trash talked sniper after killing him. Do all the heroes have VO for trashing eachother? Is this valves plan? If so that is freaking sweet.

Also, DK ftw! 3-0 so far. Also I love his model, very well done.

I just pubstomped with Leshrac, even though im not really good with him. Casting times are really awkward, i dont remember them beeing so strange in DotA. Nevertheless i bought 2 bloodstones for the lolz and nearly didnt lose any mana from my ulti. I didnt even have aghanim but Leshrac is the highest dps caster in the game :O

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Using an item takes you out of stealth.

You must open with an attack to get the backstab bonus from windwalk.

Lirlond

Been playing Chen all day, he's pretty fun, keep getting my fingers confused in team fights, hate being relegated to a heal bot late game though, minions just aren't that great past 40 minutes.

Hylian7

Been playing Chen all day, he's pretty fun, keep getting my fingers confused in team fights, hate being relegated to a heal bot late game though, minions just aren't that great past 40 minutes.

Teamfights you aren't that useful late game, but you should be pushing buildings down with the creeps you take over.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
My divorce proceedings are more fun than in-housing with you guys.

Sounds about right.

On another note, I have played Crystal Maiden, Lich, and Tidehunter. What are some other heroes that are good for new players to try?

arotator

Neo Member
So, what do you think constitutes "verbal abuse?" I'm concerned that the function might get abused.

For example, I had one tremendously douchy teammate calling me and our entire team "garbage" when we were dominating the game. I was 7-0 with Enchantress at the time he called me "garbage" because he died in a team fight. Granted I'm not a great or even very good player, but LMAO, a little perspective is in order - if we are "garbage" what is the other team, one surmises "rotten garbage." One of those types who declared our imminent demise right after the picking was done - "you guys picked shitty heroes etc..." (nevermind the fact that he didn't pick a hero to make us more balanced...) Well we ended up winning something like 29-6 (one of their guys left shortly after the team fight that led to the garbage comment).

In any case, I muted him shortly after that but decided to report him after some deliberation. I'm not sure it was the right call. On the scale of verbal abuse he wasn't that much of an offender - he wasn't a homophobic/racist/inbred trash that sometimes plays the game. He was just a terrible teammate, not at all constructive, and certainly disparaging. So part of me felt like I should just "suck it up" while another part of me said, "no, this guys is a premium grade asshole and my experience of this game would be better if I didn't have to play with his type." So I reported him thinking he could play with other douches and thrive in douche-land (as good or bad as they may be) while the rest of us could hopefully weed them out.

Am I in the right or the wrong?

Artanisix

Calling people "garbage" isn't exactly constructive. I wouldn't have reported him myself since I'm used to the bullshit people say in this community, but I don't think you're really in the wrong.

Tomat: You could try Nightstalker. He's really strong and pretty fun to play. Needs some balls and a little farm to play though.

Uriah

So, what do you think constitutes "verbal abuse?" I'm concerned that the function might get abused.

For example, I had one tremendously douchy teammate calling me and our entire team "garbage" when we were dominating the game. I was 7-0 with Enchantress at the time he called me "garbage" because he died in a team fight. Granted I'm not a great or even very good player, but LMAO, a little perspective is in order - if we are "garbage" what is the other team, one surmises "rotten garbage." One of those types who declared our imminent demise right after the picking was done - "you guys picked shitty heroes etc..." (nevermind the fact that he didn't pick a hero to make us more balanced...) Well we ended up winning something like 29-6 (one of their guys left shortly after the team fight that led to the garbage comment).

In any case, I muted him shortly after that but decided to report him after some deliberation. I'm not sure it was the right call. On the scale of verbal abuse he wasn't that much of an offender - he wasn't a homophobic/racist/inbred trash that sometimes plays the game. He was just a terrible teammate, not at all constructive, and certainly disparaging. So part of me felt like I should just "suck it up" while another part of me said, "no, this guys is a premium grade asshole and my experience of this game would be better if I didn't have to play with his type." So I reported him thinking he could play with other douches and thrive in douche-land (as good or bad as they may be) while the rest of us could hopefully weed them out.

You're in the right. He was a douchebag.

JustinBB7

I report people like that. They need 10 reports and then they will be put in lower match making for a while. If nobody else thinks they are being a douche then nothing will happen. So don't think so much about the report. Just report most assholes and it will work.

Loam

Sounds about right.

On another note, I have played Crystal Maiden, Lich, and Tidehunter. What are some other heroes that are good for new players to try?

I would recommend Skeleton King hands down. Decent stun, passive crit and life steal, as well as what essentially amounts to a free aegis make him very beginner friendly.

Sven and Tiny would also probably be decent starting heroes, just make sure not to use throw if you have low health teammates standing next to you.

arotator

Neo Member
Yeah, you all are pretty much echoing my sentiment/rationale. People like him ruin the game for others, prevent newer players from playing the game further, and if they had their way, would basically turn it into an elitist/pro cesspool (well, at least in some cases those players are actually good). Valve certainly cares about new players being turned off, and I'm sure in an ideal world they would like a congenial community too so long as it didn't affect their bottom line.

Had a similar incident last night when I got matched up against a 5 person mm squad (they were all friends on Steam and has some semblance of coordination). Anyways 15 min into the game, 3 of them decided to start talking shit to our team without provocation..."LOL you suck...LMAO..why bother playing?..you guys are garbage" etc... Now it wasn't as if we were getting blown out either as the kill counts were close but we were losing the towers slowly. Some guys responded...I did not.. After the game, I promptly reported the three shit talkers. Think of it this way, you're doing the community a favor as shit like this is always going to prevent new people from jumping in.

Lirlond

I don't think chen would work with pubs, I really need to be able to shout at my mates to be ready for ganks.

What are good set ups for level 1 ganks? I usually only attempt them with a warlord, and then the lane has to have some some sort of cc.

Insured

What are good set ups for level 1 ganks? I usually only attempt them with a warlord, and then the lane has to have some some sort of cc.
A pushed up lane close to your tower, meaning easy entry from behind, and smoke. Ursa Warrior, Centaur or Dark Troll Warlord for easiest kills. Satyr hellcaller can deal some damage too, since the cooldown on the wave is pretty low you might be able to hit two. If none of this is possible, you can use a Tornado to harass or a Satyr Soulstealer to spam mana burn while you yourself move to another hard camp for potentially more useful creeps.

If their middle hero has no real escape mechanisms, you can run around middle with smoke and try to catch mid.

Of course a lot depends on the enemies' escape mechanisms and your teammates disables, sometimes even just farming it up until level 5 or 7 might be a better choice.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Tried Bounty Hunter earlier and it's pretty fun to run around ganking people with Track, had the worst BM who thought saving all his starting gold for a Ring of Health was a good idea, and never bothered to roar their Enigma.

You report him if it feels wrong to you.

I'm use to the "you're garbage" type comments. If someone is purposefully feeding though or just saying slurs and shit in voip/text then I report them. I know sometimes I've called someone garbage, but that's when they've provoked me in the first place.

Epix

I like Zeus but I hate how short his auto-attack range is. I can't count how many times I've gotten nuked trying to move him back out of harms way only for him to go running back into the fray to get within is 2ft auto-attack range.

EDIT: Fuck, I think i just found the auto-attack setting. Mind blown.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why Sanjay?

The pioneer of the "vanguard on everything" strat should be the face of NeoGAF.

Sanjay 2012.

I would recommend Skeleton King hands down. Decent stun, passive crit and life steal, as well as what essentially amounts to a free aegis make him very beginner friendly.

Sven and Tiny would also probably be decent starting heroes, just make sure not to use throw if you have low health teammates standing next to you.
in what world is tiny good for beginners?

Tenck

Just tried out Sniper like Milkman suggested ( I know there were others who said the same thing, but he comes to mind first). Was so fun annoying a DK and an Axe bot lane :p

Poor Dark Seer though, I took every one of his last hits and felt bad he was only getting money in the jungle. He did that Spiky blue ball thing(?) and even then, I was carefully picking off the creeps with the lowest health :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom